Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,684 members, 7,851,352 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2195) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11871654 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2192) (2193) (2194) (2195) (2196) (2197) (2198) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:46pm On Nov 21, 2017
junnyjake:

No hay problema hermano. No es deficil. Esapñol es muy sencillo.
Please you've lost me in the village of Castille La Mancha. There's a beautiful senorita Maria de la Cardozo, here keeping me company though while I sip my tequila in the sun.

Thanks for the tube mate. Just downloaded the second half of that match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:47pm On Nov 21, 2017
Joebie:
It's still hard to make a case for someone who is yet to score.
What if we said (in addition):

1 match-day squad appearance (GRADE1) == 1 assist (GRADE2) == 1 goal scored (GRADE 3)

Joe-joe, hahaha. You just want to cage me. As I said before it is not just about statistics.

Who has scored more goals and given more assists between Dressers and Iheanacho this season?

But who do you rate higher?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:48pm On Nov 21, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
How did you know that the journalist spinned Tyrone's speech? Do you understand Dutch?
Omo, you strong oo. I ask you show me in the article where Tyrone said he deserves to be in Rohr's World Cup team. Show me and I'd keep shut

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:48pm On Nov 21, 2017
Mujtahida:

Bros, after all the explanation you still saying the bolded? He never said he deserves a place in Rohr's World Cup team. Please show me where he said that and I'll keep shut.
The young man is understandably excited and grateful for the opportunity we've afforded him. Do you know that he said he wanted to get Di Maria's Jersey but could not get it. Instead he got that of Dybala which he has put in a frame.

The excitement he generated in Holland is even greater than the one here in Nigeria. It's just that I cannot understand Dutch but I watched some minutes of his interview with Ado den haag TV upon his arrival in Holland after the match against Argentina.

The young man is just hopeful.
“Defensively, I stood my ground, and offensively I tried to do as much as possible, and it all went well, I think.”

"Now, the player, who has a Nigerian father and a Dutch mother, says having proved his class in the clash against the star-studded Argentine side, he should be considered for a spot in Rohr’s World Cup squad"

You obviously missed this part.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 3:49pm On Nov 21, 2017
junnyjake:

Enu ha. grin. Anjwo be?

I been no know say we plenty like this on top nairaland. Nice to meet you.
Haha.. Make we no come turn am to village meeting sha grin

Nice to meet you too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:50pm On Nov 21, 2017
Mujtahida:

Omo, you strong oo. I ask you show me in the article where Tyrone said he deserves to be in Rohr's World Cup team. Show me and I'd keep shut

“Defensively, I stood my ground, and offensively I tried to do as much as possible, and it all went well, I think.”

"Now, the player, who has a Nigerian father and a Dutch mother, says having proved his class in the clash against the star-studded Argentine side, he should be considered for a spot in Rohr’s World"

Re-read the news body.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 3:51pm On Nov 21, 2017
Joebie:
okay sir, I just threw out names, and I believe I put "etc" at the end. It will be better to leave out the Ejarias.
How do you get to put Osimhen ahead of Dennis?

some people will these names,though few
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:51pm On Nov 21, 2017
MetalJigsaw:

"Now, the player, who has a Nigerian father and a Dutch mother, says having proved his class in the clash against the star-studded Argentine side, he should be considered for a spot in Rohr’s World cup squad.
"

In other words, if he doesn't make the squad, that's bullshit on Rohr's part.

I still feel we needed that Seychelles game so we cap all the capable foreign borns.

Ebuehi is still available for Holland.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2017
Going by this season alone at the club level I will rate Dessers higher. grin

Icon4s:

Joe-joe, hahaha. You just want to cage me. As I said before it is not just about statistics.

Who has scored more goals and given more assists between Dressers and Iheanacho this season?

But who do you rate higher?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2017
Mujtahida:

"Now, the player, who has a Nigerian father and a Dutch mother, says having proved his class in the clash against the star-studded Argentine side, he should be considered for a spot in Rohr’s World Cup squad"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2017
Joebie:
Thanks so much. However, I'm not going to go by the leagues they play. How do you compare a player who has scored 5 goals in the Norweigian top tier to a player who has scored two in Serie A
And what if the player in Serie A has not scored any goals. Does just playing making him ahead of a player who has scored say 10 goals in the Belgian league?
We don't have a standard of comparison. Maybe we can find a common ground

Well, this is where Komekn's logic comes to play, if you find yourself in a lower league, strive to be one of the shiny lights there, so you can get attention of teams from the bigger leagues. As a midfielder, scoring 5 goals already is an impressive stat, and if you end the season with 15, then you've done well. You also need to look at the quality of goals as well.

When you have limited time to play in the Serie A and that doesn't deter you from scoring, then you're special. Don't forget, you can't compare the quality of defense in the Serie A to that of Norway. So if you're playing against serious opponents, your mind would tilt towards the Serie A player.

If a striker in Serie A isn't scoring, and he's playing regularly, you ask, does he wastes chances? how clinical is he? How many assists does he have to his name? What's his contributions to the team? Has his positioning been great? Has he been unlucky with the bars or brilliant goal keeping? if your answers are in the -ve, then it'd be a no brainer embracing your goal scoring Belgian league player.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2017
yes, we could have still arranged a friendly at least. There is no way we will not beat Seychelles ( was it? ) capping Ebuehi, Dessers and Idowu

Icon4s:

I still feel we needed that Seychelles game so we cap all the capable foreign borns.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2017
Mujtahida:

Please you've lost me in the village of Castille La Mancha. There's a beautiful senorita Maria de la Cardozo, here keeping me company though while I sip my tequila in the sun.

Thanks for the tube mate. Just downloaded the second half of that match.

Hahahaha, you're welcome mate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2017
Icon4s:

And I have a feeling he joined SE just for the WC. If he doesn't go to Russia he's likely to dump SE for Holland.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 3:55pm On Nov 21, 2017
SerVik:
Haha.. Make we no come turn am to village meeting sha grin
Nice to meet you too
Lolzz
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:55pm On Nov 21, 2017
Okay I've come with something so far:

Let's rate them based on their club careers alone within this current season.
We need to have a standard. This is a suggested one:

5 goals in Grade3 == 3 goals in Grade2 == 1 Goals in Grade1
Same as assists
Same as clean sheets (GK)
1 match-day squad appearance (GRADE1) == 1 assist (GRADE2) == 1 goal scored (GRADE 3)
1 clean sheet (GRADE1) == 1 Goal (GRADE1) and it follow accordingly

GRADE 1 (1ST TIER)
Germany
England
France
Italy
Spain

GRADE 2 (1st tier)
Russia
Portugal
Ukraine
Belgium
Turkey
Austria
Netherlands
Czech
Greece

GRADE 3
MLS
Germany (2nd tier)
England (2nd tier)
France (2nd tier)
Italy (2nd tier)
Spain (2nd tier)
Other 1st tiers

junnyjake:

Well, this is where Komekn's logic comes to play, if you find yourself in a lower league, strive to be one of the shiny lights there, so you can get attention of teams from the bigger leagues. As a midfielder, scoring 5 goals already is an impressive stat, and if you end the season with 15, then you've done well. You also need to look at the quality of goals as well.

When you have limited time to play in the Serie A and that doesn't deter you from scoring, then you're special. Don't forget, you can't compare the quality of defense in the Serie A to that of Norway. So if you're playing against serious opponents, your mind would tilt towards the Serie A player.

If a striker in Serie A isn't scoring, and he's playing regularly, you ask, does he wastes chances? how clinical is he? How many assists does he have to his name? What's his contributions to the team? Has his positioning been great? Has he been unlucky with the bars or brilliant goal keeping? if your answers are in the -ve, then it'd be a no brainer embracing your goal scoring Belgian league player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:56pm On Nov 21, 2017
Joebie:
Going by this season alone at the club level I will rate Dessers higher. grin

You see why you cannot rely solely on statistics in the rating of players?

So why do you think Rohr didn't dump Iheanacho and settle for Dessers against Cameroon, Zambia, Algeria and Argentina?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 21, 2017
After reading a lot of pages here and also a long and hard thought. I have come to the conclusion that these players should be the ones to go t the world cup.
Goal Keepers
Vincent Enyeama
Dele Aiyenugba
Dele Alampasu
Defenders
Ola Aina
Seyi Ojo
Dominic Iorfa
Efe Ambrose
Thiago Ilori
Mosis Odubanjo
Midfield
Hope Akpan
Jude Aneke
Raheem Lawal
Abdul Ajagun
Mikel Obi
Joel Obi
Josh Onomah
Ryan Sanusi
Attackers
Obafemi Martins
Ike Uche
Fred Onyedinma
Kayode
Sone Aluko and
Adegbenro

Standby
Ovie Ejaria
Chuba Akpom

If we can present this guys who are the best leagues imagine what we will achieve. There's still time to get them to blend together, right now these are the best we have as we can only take 23 players to the world cup.

The staring eleven should look like this
Enyeama
Ola Aina Thiago Ilori Efe Ambrose Sheyi Ojo
Abdul Ajagun Josh Onomah Raheem Lawal
Kayode Martins Ik Uche

Mikel will be coming in as an impact sub and that would really tilt the games in our favor. Also there is Jude Aneke, Adegbenro and Joel Obi too who can come in from the bench.

I had to unfortunately drop Onazi, Ndidi and even Victor Mosis, even though they are very good players who the stats for Aneke, Raheem Lawal, Abdul Ajagun and Onoha are extremely difficult to ignore. You need to see how Kayode won the best player in Austria and how great a game Fred Onyedima had against Man City that's why I had to drop Victor Mosis.
Go Nigeria!!!!!!!!!

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:01pm On Nov 21, 2017
Mickael2:

Has Joel Obi been invited?

Meanwhile I have always believed in evolution, species transform to other species kinda stuff. If we didn't try out Ebuehi, we would never know how good he is, I am still not sold on Idowu and I still believe Aina would do a better job at RB or RWB than Ebuehi and Shehu so the LB is still blank. Put Ebuehi in that LWB position and he would have performed worse than Aina. I remember when Tbaba was saying that Aina can play with both feet, I pointed out that it does not work that way, finally everyone saw it on that day. So......the bottomline of my epistle is that the leftside is still vacant......aaaannnndddd in comes Taiwo grin
Latest reports say Joel Obi is in the frame for March friendlies as a result of his good performances.

Don't be so sure to say Ebuehi would perform worse than Aina as a LWB. He might do well, he might not to well as a LWB. Don't make omnipotent conclusions. And talking about Aina and Shehu they didn't do badly as most seem to make it look. Just that they didn't offer much going forward and Aina left gaps to be exploited when he moved further afield. Very understandable. If Aina does well(and I hope he does) as a RB, RWB it's all good. The coach would have a good headache to deal with.
I am also not yet convinced with Idowu
The LB is not blank. Echiejile is there.

On Taiye Taiwo I am tempted to also make omnipotent conclusions like you but let me be measured and say his chances of being invited are so so slim as to be near impossible.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:01pm On Nov 21, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
And I have a feeling he joined SE just for the WC. If he doesn't go to Russia he's likely to dump SE for Holland.

Then farewell to him.

Every body cannot make it to Russia. If he thinks because of a 45mins action against Argentina he deserves the right to a spot in the world cup I pray he is not in line for a shocker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2017
We are not talking about the Super Eagles now.
My question has nothing to do with SE and Russia.
Look at the original question lol

Icon4s:

You see why you cannot rely solely on statistics in the rating of players?

So why do you think Rohr didn't dump Iheanacho and settle for Dessers against Cameroon, Zambia, Algeria and Argentina?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:03pm On Nov 21, 2017
Napoleon55:
my own na Danny Shittu,we need him to mark Messi at d WC.
Furo Iyenemi to mark Aguero
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 4:03pm On Nov 21, 2017
haba Senior men ! we should go pass this level of tribalism na.
The fact is not every player will make it into the national team. so we should move pass this abeg :-

But if anyone brings up tribalism again ehnn I will have no choice than to shout for the inclusion of my all Edo/Delta super eagles team below. grin grin grin

make una calm down abeg !

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2017
Icon4s:

Then farewell to him.

Every body cannot make it to Russia. If he thinks because of a 45mins action against Argentina he deserves the right to a spot in the world cup I pray he is not in line for a shocker.
You're right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:06pm On Nov 21, 2017
Baba icon4s, let me repeat this ICYM: Holland is not going to cap Ebuehi just for the heck of it. They are NOT England, so we got time to cap him during the World Cup or shortly afterwards.

The Seychelles game would've been a bloody waste of time for a team preparing for the world cup. We're not going to play a team like Seychelles in Russia. So let's use that window to schedule one or two grade A friendly match somewhere in Europe.

O pari

Icon4s:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:10pm On Nov 21, 2017
Icon4s:

I rate Osimhen ahead of Dennis

I would really like to see how you came to that conclusion.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:10pm On Nov 21, 2017
And you arrived at that conclusions based on what, exactly

#Mugu shocked angry

O pari

MetalJigsaw:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:10pm On Nov 21, 2017
haha.. I knew that's where you were going..
We can't read "their" motives..
We should expect these players to have ties to other countries just as they have ties to Nigeria.
But at the same time we should expect they would put 100% in, every time they don the GWG.
That's what really matters. Or are you saying he won't play for Nigeria post Russia IF he goes to Russia.
Just as Tammy is to England, Ebuehi is here NOW and his is 100% focused on the Nigerian project.

MetalJigsaw:

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:12pm On Nov 21, 2017
MetalJigsaw:

You obviously missed this part.
Defensively, I stood my ground, and offensively I tried to do as much as possible, and it all went well, I think.”
The above is a fair estimation of his game. Aina said something similar after the game against Algeria Nigeria
Ola Aina Rates His Performance Against Mahrez In Nigeria’s Draw Against Algeria
On loan Chelsea defender Ola Aina has given his personal assessment of his performance against Leicester City and Algeria star man Riyad Mahrez
“It was a good game, I think I play a good game, it was a tough game as well because Algeria they are not a weak side”, he said in a video posted on the official twitter handle of the NFF
“I was up against Mahrez as well for the majority of the game and it it was a good challenge for me, because the world knows how good a player he is, for me to be able to defend as well as I did against Mahrez I was happy”.

The bolded is not what Tyrone said but journalist said. Show me a direct quote from Tyrone saying he deserves a place in Rohr's World Cup team. Show me bros.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:15pm On Nov 21, 2017
Mujtahida:

Defensively, I stood my ground, and offensively I tried to do as much as possible, and it all went well, I think.”
The above is a fair estimation of his game. Aina said something similar after the game against Algeria Nigeria

The bolded is not what Tyrone said but journalist said. Show me a direct quote from Tyrone saying he deserves a place in Rohr's World Cup team. Show me bros.
If you want to claim the press is wrong, provide a proof.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:15pm On Nov 21, 2017
Icon4s:

It is not just all about statistical ratings.

For the times I have watched Osimhen play and the few times I have seen Bonaventure I tip Osimhen as the better player.

Statistics is good quite alright. in fact it is the easiest way out. But, it doesn't tell the entire story.

How many minutes of football or games has he played in the Bundesliga this and last season and how many goals has he scored.

Let's compare and appreciate your objective methodology so the same theory can be applied to assess other players.

Please
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:16pm On Nov 21, 2017
Joebie:
yes, we could have still arranged a friendly at least. There is no way we will not beat Seychelles ( was it? ) capping Ebuehi, Dessers and Idowu

He's ours. Dude wants to play for us. Been dying to play. Someone who spoke to him said so

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2192) (2193) (2194) (2195) (2196) (2197) (2198) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: cromz(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.