Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,263 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2328) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11754709 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2325) (2326) (2327) (2328) (2329) (2330) (2331) ... (16183) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:22pm On Dec 09, 2017
If he can hit that good form he had at Granada, no doubt.

tbaba1234:
If Isaac Succes can get a run of games together, perhaps he can gatecrash the WC team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:28pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
Did I ever suggest Poland for Iceland ?

Poland plays more like Croatia....Denmark perfectly look likely when we talk of Iceland...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:28pm On Dec 09, 2017
HUNGARY: OTP Bank Liga - Round 19

Obinna Nwobodo's Ujpest trail Puskas Academy 2-nil at half time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 4:30pm On Dec 09, 2017
tbaba1234:

Correct. Poland has confirmed that they have a game with Nigeria on March 23rd.
Nice, this is the kind of team we should be playing, not necessarily Germany, Brazil or Spain.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2017
Oh really. You have watched them and they play alike?
Well I was speaking about the unpredictability a small name but deadly team brings.

I have not watched both teams closely enough to make that conclusion in terms of how they play. Let me assume you have. I believe you then. grin

Humility017:

Poland plays more like Croatia....Denmark perfectly look likely when we talk of Iceland...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:34pm On Dec 09, 2017
Bad agent, impatience, instability, not versatile etcetera.

He was not patient enough to wait until he breaks into Sporting Lisbon's first team after spending 3 years there because he wanted to break into the national team. He also wanted to get more money and guarantee for first team but he left as a free agent. He could had broken into the first because he won an international U19 tournament for them in his first season and even won the best player of the tournament. He singlehandedly helped them again to the finals the next season in same competition before he left when he was just 18 year of age. I was also happy he left at that time but I later realized it was a bad move for him to had Left at that age.

At PSV, the same thing happened. He was not patient enough because he had many players ahead of him (especially OlaToivonen, Kevin Stroostman, Wijnaldum & Memphis Delay) and his contract was based on performance.

Though he made the bench on several occasions but he didn't play more than 2 league matches the whole seaon and 5 games of Eredivise FA version. I think I read where the coach talked about his smallish body frame and advice he had to build on his strength because of the physicality of the game.

But I think it is very difficult for an African to be entrusted to play the AMF role ahead of indigenous players who are also as good as him.

Unfortunately, he had to contend directly with Ola Toivonen was the captain and he was one of the best players in the Eredivise. Even at LW where they tried to use him, Memphis was bosing it there.

I think if he was patient enough he could had developed there because at some point, he always made the bench but his agent requested PSV to terminate his contract because of lack of game time. And he got him a deal with Celtic even when Liverpool and other clubs were rushing for his signature.Note, he spent only eight months before he terminated his 3 years contract because he wanted to make the Afcon.

Immediately, he was issued work permit based on special talent clause. Believe me, he met the same situation there. Many big players were ahead of him and he couldn't adapt to the physical accept of the Scotich league hench the need to terminate his contract quickly again because of lack of game time and the pressure to get game time in other to make the National team for AFCON.

The next move was Kilmarnock in the same Scotich league where he started to get regular game time on the LW but he was later released after he collapsed on the pitch during a match. If he had not collapsed I think he would had done well there.

From there, he went to Trencin where he picked up himself and his career.it was there he helped them to win the league with Madu and Moses Simon and it was there Gent came for him.

Na from there me stop to follow because game time come hard to get.

I think he is a conventional number 10 and unfortunately, he is not versatile.

It is will be very difficult for an European club to entrust that position to an African and that is why you see club convert African players from their natural attacking midfield role to play other roles.

This is why I repect and appreciate Abdul Ajagun because he has always been favoured to play on that AMF role for all the clubs he went to in Europe. He is currently playing there for his club this season.

There is no player like him that has been played or is being played consistently in that role for the past 5 years in in a top club or top 10 league in world the SE.

My study of Rabiu Ibrahim and some African players exposed me to this reality. That is why it is good for an African AMF to be versatile.

You can read this.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13045786.The_talent_of_Celtic_signing_Rabiu_Ibrahim_has_not_been_in_doubt_but_his_temperament_has/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:37pm On Dec 09, 2017
This was my earlier post
Of course, it's just a coincidence

Joebie:
I will recommend the toughest possible similar opponents for friendlies.

Brazil for Argentina
Germany for Croatia
Poland (small but unpredictable team) for Iceland
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:42pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mickael2:

Will he go to Dortmund and start begging them? Or you think Dortmund will be looking for a player who cannot trap the ball effectively? Iheancho should have made the right move, Leicester city has exposed him, if he leaves now no top team will want him, it's Turkey from here

I know you will always take this talk to another level....
you simply can't hide your strong aversion towards the young man...

everyone is saying he should work on his ball control...here you talking he can't trap a ball.

watch how intelligent your comment looks....
a player can't trap a ball...but already playing in the epl...wit 8 goals in 14 matches for the national team...

how can someone who can't trap a ball at all...play this far?

you really need to work on your hate....ooo

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:44pm On Dec 09, 2017
It's Hull 0-0 Brentford

Ola Aina playing as a AMR. wow..
Let me see if i can find that game to watch
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:46pm On Dec 09, 2017
kennysville:

Which player did I pull down? To promote who? Please try read my post again. If I mentioned sterling, it is what I saw and many can attest to that for last season. We are not talking about this season. Last season we saw Sterling and yet he was given chance after chance. How is that a pulling down? Was it not the chances that he got that made him better? Can that be said of Iheanacho last season? Did he even get enough cameos? At the end of it all it is the stats that you guys will be using to judge a player. Now I am the one making excuses abi? Try and be empathetic.
Sterling was poor last season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2017
Can't find the Hull game.
Meanwhile Nedum Onuoha returns for QPR.
Watching that now.

QPR 0-0 Leeds
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FabioPeter: 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2017
junnyjake:

Which club would take him as their No1 immediately?? That's another question.

He can take a humble pie and be a superstar at Enyimba, that can earn him the ticket. If he does well at the World Cup, that will be good advert for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by profosa: 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
This was my earlier post,
Of course, it's just a coincidence

o think based on the world cup fixture. and what is in the news we would get a poland,england,columbia and may be denmark friendliest
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2017
Osimhen on the bench away to Hamburg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 5:00pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
Did I ever suggest Poland for Iceland ?

Poland is more for Croatia. undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 5:02pm On Dec 09, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Mikel is our most creative midfielder, so I don't see Rohr playing him as a DM. The guy can pass, hold ball for Africa.

His holdup play pull opposition players towards him which takes them away from their positions and creates openings in their teams, and the beauty is in him being able to pass the ball to initiate an attack. That's why when he doesn't play we find it difficult to create chances for scoring opportunities.
This is why I prefer him playing closer to the strikers because he will help bring out the DMs out of their positions instead of using him as DM which will only pull strikers and attacking midfielders closer to him

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:07pm On Dec 09, 2017
junnyjake:

I would have told you, we don't stand a chance of getting him to play for us, so I don't give a damn if he's better than all the players who had ever worn the GWG.

Mbappe was nobody at the beginning of last season and two seasons ago at Monaco.

If I knew he was eligible to play two seasons ago, I go don make noise here, that is, if I had perceived he is the real deal. But i was not interested in one way traffic league and where no Nigerian plays.

So, I dont think there is no chance of getting him if we discover him earlier when he was nobody.

He would had considered fast fast.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2017
Icon4s:

I saw that comment when I was still under a ban and so had to bear it until I was unbanned. Went back to dig it up as soon as I was released to comment.
If you don't mind me asking, why were you banned?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2017
profosa:
o think based on the world cup fixture. and what is in the news we would get a poland,england,columbia and may be denmark friendliest
I think playing Uruguay will be good too. They have an African team in their group so they may consider playing Nigeria. The combination of Suarez and Cavani attack should be a good test to our defense for the match against Argentina with Messi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FabioPeter: 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2017
profosa:

It’s likely we play Mexico, Scotland and Italy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2017
I think Poland is more for Croatia not Iceland. Lewandowski will give us an idea of what to expect from Mandukic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
I think Poland is more for Croatia not Iceland. Lewandowski will give us an idea of what to expect from Mandukic.

grin grin grin,ARE WE PLAYING FIFA18(PS)@ d worldcup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FabioPeter: 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
It's Hull 0-0 Brentford

Ola Aina playing as a AMR. wow..
Let me see if i can find that game to watch

I doubt Rohr will take both Aina and Echiejile, it’s got to be one of the two.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2017
The three teams that Nigeria will face in the group stage have different strengths.

Croatian's strength is in their midfield, Iceland is their defense and that for Argentina is their attack. If Nigeria is able to qualify from this group, it will show that they can fare well against any team they meet in the knock out stages.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:26pm On Dec 09, 2017
blueto:
You are right. Freedom is key. Let me use a biblical example to illustrate. The gospel of Grace teaches complete forgiveness of sins (past, present and future). It is the grace gospel that brings freedom to believers, because they can't be condemned by God anymore for their sins because Jesus have received their condemnation at the cross. So it is having that freedom that actually destroys the power of sin and its consequences in people's lives. This was why Apostle Paul was not very happy with the churches in Galatians during his time. The believers who after being saved by grace, went on to start keeping the law in order maintain their salvation, so Apostle Paul tried to make them understand that they were saved by grace (unmerited, undeserved and unearned favor) and they will remain saved by grace through believing in Christ and until Jesus comes and not by their ability to practice righteousness by keeping the law. He also warned that anybody that is still trying to do what the law commands in order to be made right with God have fallen away from God's grace and have been cut off from Christ (Galatians 5:4).

Under grace, God doesn't place expectations of righteousness from believers, he doesn't demand righteousness from them, he is satisfied with the finished work of Christ. That is why He only requires people to believe in Jesus in order to be declared everlastingly righteous in his sight (Romans 4:5, 10:4). So those who believe in Christ and still trying to earn their right standing with God have fallen away from God's grace. Apostle Paul adjured the churches in Galatians to enjoy their liberty in Christ and never entangle themselves again in the bondage that Christ have set them free (which is the law).

He expressed that he was shocked (marvelled) that people were already turning away from the gospel of the grace of Christ to a different gospel in his days.

“I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel” (Galatians 1:6 NKJV)

And if you read, verse 8 and 9 of same chapter, you will see that he delivered double curse on any preacher that preaches another gospel that opposes the gospel of Grace, and he said even if they are angels from heaven.

The reason why some Christians still struggle with sin is because they are still under the law. Some churches are still preaching the law and the Bible says “the strength of sin is the law.” (1Cor 15:56) When you promote the law as a preacher, you unwittingly or wittingly promote sin. What actually frees Christians to live Christ glorifying lives is the liberty that they enjoy in him, it is not the obligations and commandments. The Bible says the reason why sin will not have dominion over believers is because they are under grace, not under the obligations of the law (Romans 6:14). Under grace, a believer's righteousness is no dependent or determined by his obedience, works and self-righteousness. It is determined by the righteousness and obedience of Christ (Romans 5:19) and His finished work.

So my dear, freedom is very important in every sphere.

Sir, based on the @bolded Do you mean we don't need to confess our sin even if we commit sin?

Don't you ask for forgiveness again even after you must have sinned?

Or are you perfect, holy and righteous?

Sorry in advance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FabioPeter: 5:31pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
Well I was speaking about the unpredictability a small name but deadly team brings.

I have not watched both teams closely enough to make that conclusion in terms of how they play. Let me assume you have. I believe you then. grin

SE should play to their strength and bother less about the opponent style/formation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 5:35pm On Dec 09, 2017
elyte89:

If victor starts playing by January,maybe on loan to anoda club, I can bet u he will b on d plane to Russia... 100percent sure grin
i agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:37pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:

Poland is not a small team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 5:40pm On Dec 09, 2017
blueto:
The three teams that Nigeria will face in the group stage have different strengths.

Croatian's strength is in their midfield, Iceland is their defense and that for Argentina is their attack. If Nigeria is able to qualify from this group, it will show that they can fare well against any team they meet in the knock out stages.
who ever emerges from the group would be very ragged
My heart also goes out to Morocco grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 5:41pm On Dec 09, 2017
FabioPeter:

SE should play to their strength and bother less about the opponent style/formation.
Then we'd have a case of while trying to win we lose ourselves
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:43pm On Dec 09, 2017
small name in football.

Modified
Or let me say it again.. Maybe you didn't read it well
The unpredictability a small name but deadly team brings

tbaba1234:

Poland is not a small team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:44pm On Dec 09, 2017
So far how many have been confirmed for friendlies?

profosa:

(1) (2) (3) ... (2325) (2326) (2327) (2328) (2329) (2330) (2331) ... (16183) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Suzzytee05(f), forgiveness, superbloke(m), mank1234(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.