Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,775 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:55 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2329) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11874866 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2326) (2327) (2328) (2329) (2330) (2331) (2332) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:50pm On Dec 09, 2017
A guy who does not believe in the science of football.
Why do you think other countries bother?

FabioPeter:

SE should play to their strength and bother less about the opponent style/formation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2017
Abusule007:
If you don't mind me asking, why were you banned?
I just made a simple one line comment here.
And got banned for antispam dot or something
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2017
Aina seems to have slowed down. He started the Championship season very well.

FabioPeter:

I doubt Rohr will take both Aina and Echiejile, it’s got to be one of the two.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:55pm On Dec 09, 2017
You guys should be reading carefully..
person go dey repeat himself when a point has already been made.

KevinDein:

Poland is more for Croatia. undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

I don't think Rohr will select more than 8 defenders for th mundial.

Based on your list, if I have to choose btw Brian Idowu and Aina, Brian has my nod because he offers more to the team in terms of versatility than Aina, and not necessarily based on talent and ability to effectively play in a particular role. But if talent and ability to effectively play well in a particular role are put into uppermost consideration and become the ultimate factor to choose, Aina is a better choice for me as a RB because I saw him played and performed wonders in that role for his club. In short, Aina and Ebuehi will be my choice RB options while Echiejile and Idowu will be my LB options because they can effectively play well in a role.

However, if versatility is the main deciding factor then Idowu is better, he can play comfortably as a DF, DMF, RWB, LWB, RB and LB.

Based on these, Aina has to make way for Idowu but I hope the coaching srew use the other deciding factor to choose because jack of all trade no go help if they are not affective enough.

I think I will still want us to get another player apart from Omeruo but unfortunately those foreign breed no want gree play for us.

I think Dominic Iorfa is the only one ready nau but NFF dey play politics.

Absolutely correct, but I wonder why
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
small name in football.

Modified
Or let me say it again.. Maybe you didn't read it well
The unpredictability a small name but deadly team brings

They were in pot 1 ahead of bigger sides like Spain. We should know what to expect with Poland.

They are very beatable though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:57pm On Dec 09, 2017
Humility017:

Poland plays more like Croatia....Denmark perfectly look likely when we talk of Iceland...

Not necessarily that. Any European opposition will do.

Like I understand England and France are in line.
That should be OK

How the friendly will be beneficial to the other country is also a factor.

Eg if Panama, Costa Rica or Japan should approach us for as friendly how do we consider it? Waste of useful slot abi?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:05pm On Dec 09, 2017
I had already said "deadly". You are not making a new point.
small name, small team -- two different things.
On what ground do we know what to expect with Poland, and why is the case of Iceland different? grin

tbaba1234:

They were in pot 1 ahead of bigger sides like Spain. We should know what to expect with Poland.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
You guys should be reading carefully..
person go dey repeat himself when a point has already been made.

Sorry bro. Didn't see the other response early enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:07pm On Dec 09, 2017
no qualms bro

KevinDein:

Sorry bro. Didn't see the other response early enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
I had already said "deadly". You are not making a new point.
small name, small team -- two different things.
On what ground do we know what to expect with Poland, and why is the case of Iceland different? grin

Unlike Iceland, Poland has qualified several times for the WC and European Championship. They even have 2 bronze medals in the World Cup in the late 70s and early 80s.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 6:14pm On Dec 09, 2017
Icon4s:

Not necessarily that. Any European opposition will do.

Like I understand England and France are in line.
That should be OK

How the friendly will be beneficial to the other country is also a factor.

Eg if Panama, Costa Rica or Japan should approach us for as friendly how do we consider it? Waste of useful slot abi?

We may meet France as early as round of 16. I don't think we should play them. Nothing to gain from such friendly other than ranking. We already know their style.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2017
Would you say Poland is a big name even in European football? Let's not even talk about the world yet.
Can we go by their exploits in the late 70s and 80s, and say we know what to expect from them today?
Now to my REAL question, can we say we know what to expect from them based on their recent results?

tbaba1234:

Unlike Iceland, Poland has qualified several times for the WC and European Championship. They even have 2 bronze medals in the World Cup in the late 70s and early 80s.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 6:16pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mujtahida:

Yes there's an euphoria about the 3-5-2 because for long we have been tactically limited in our game. 3-5-2 is the newest car in our garage and many are itching to ride it. It's understandable but don't forget that we are not Rohr. We just talk like krattoss said. And I repeat 3-5-2 is an option. Moreover Rohr has said that the tactics to be adopted depends on the opposition we meet. Truth is we have to strike a balance between our best formation and the need to be tactically unpredictable. Imagine we begin with one shape and suddenly switch. The opponents will be in disarray if they too are not tactically savvy. My point is it's good for us to master at least two more tactical formations apart from 4-4-3 or 4-3-2-1(which is still 4-5-1).

On Ebuehi and Idowu I agree that we need not be in haste but that their performances at their clubs is average cannot be a valid basis to judge them. Before Ebuehi had that good run tbaba1234 had often said that the lad is a good player. Almost all our players apart from Moses and Ndidi post average performances. Balogun the pillar of our defence even seats on the bench in Mainz. Iwobi gets brief moments of play, Iheanacho has no stable place in Leicester, Musa is lost. Mikel and Ighalo ply their trade in barely known clubs in China. But we cannot use that to judge them because the Gwg works magic on them and transforms them into glittering stars when they play for us. I'm still trying to find what the secret is. That's why many like Icon79 and safarigirl have insisted that we judge our players solely by how they perform in the Gwg.

I am an Ebuehi fan but I acknowledge that Shehu has been incredible as our RB. To praise Ebuehi doesn't mean Shehu is slighted. Rather we should rejoice at the richness of our team. The team has meat. You can choose which one to chew unlike the 2014 Keshi team that was just bones. Nothing to chew.

So there's reason for caution but it should be joyous, positive caution. The call should be for the team to master that tactics. To have used it and succeeded against Argentina with the players trying it out within a short period of time means there's potential there for us to exploit. Remember Amaju Pinnick said Rohr told him a night before that he has a tactical answer to Argentina's game. We should master it and not let fear to stop us from expanding our tactical options. Still I don't think 3-5-2 is our main tactical formation. Rohr is not that naive.

Search no further as I have the answer

Their success secrets in GWG is due to teamwork, high team spirit, cohesiveness, stability, and their hunger for success.

I mean, from the way you dissected the team players individually, they are all bunch of average players, playing in below average teams and posting average results weekly.

Playing together in the GWG provides for them the only platform to show the world what they are made off.

Therefore, they are all hungry for success both old and young and this desire is what you see anytime they step on the field.

Mikel, Ighalo are playing in the backwater Chinese league, KC, Balogun, Iwobi and Musa are fastened on seatbelts, ....Shehu, Etebo, Ekong, Ebuehi, Idowu, Aina, Onazi, Agu though playing regularly but are all in backwater teams.

What else do you expect when these group of guys come together under an umbrella?... They will want to prove a point! That's the only thing they have going for them. The hunger, the desire for success in order to prove a point is their only drive. That is why we shouldn't temper much with current crop of players we have because right now, they are on a rollercoaster. They are a free playing, a free scoring team. They have an "air" of invincibility around them,..there is just this winning mentality that they posses whenever they are playing together. No Wonder they come to camp early, no wonder they gel a lot in camp too.

Once you Temper too much with this current team, it will kill whatever they have going,..only then will you see how the cookie crumbles

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:20pm On Dec 09, 2017
kennysville:

I cant exactly say i expected any less from you. Is it not your beloved England? Haba...... time will tell

You are being emotive and not objective.

Before Raheem came to City he has played 95 games for Liverpool. In addition he had become a senior international for England. His Transfer fee was £50 million or thereabouts.

What has KC done in in comparison to Raheem.

Fast forward Raheem is a lot faster, is more technically adapt, can take players and requires less support you be a threat. Nonetheless, he is still a work on progress. This season he has improved immensely with his ability to score goals.

What has KC done in comparison too Gabriel, Sana, Gabriel and Debry Bryna.

He has gone to Leicester he never had the pace of Vardy, or the technical wizardry of Mahrez and or the sheer trickery plus pace of Grey. He does not have the physicality of Okazaki as well.

Now he has to work much harder and without the support of world class midfielders. He now does not have the support of world class midfielders around him.

What's biased about that observation Or can that be construed as favoritism towards English players.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:21pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
Would you say Poland is a big name even in European football? Let's not even talk about the world yet.
Can we go by their exploits in the late 70s and 80s, and say we know what to expect from them today?
Now to my REAL question, can we say we know what to expect from them based on their recent results?

They are on the level of teams like Croatia, Greece .. After the big teams, Germany Spain, Italy etc... They are on that second tier.

They are no minnows. Iceland can be seen as a minnow until recently.

If Poland beat England, It will not be seen as a big shock compared to when Iceland beat England.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:22pm On Dec 09, 2017
realpoacher:

Their success secrets in GWG is due to teamwork, high team spirit, cohesiveness, stability, and their hunger for success.

I mean, from the way you dissected the team players individually, they are all bunch of average players, playing in below average teams and posting average results weekly.

Playing together in the GWG provides for them the only platform to show the world what they are made off.

Therefore, they are all hungry for success both old and young and this desire is what you see anytime they step on the field.

Mikel, Ighalo are playing in the backwater Chinese league, KC, Balogun, Iwobi and Musa are fastened on seatbelts, ....Shehu, Etebo, Ekong, Ebuehi, Idowu, Aina, Onazi, Agu though playing regularly but are all in backwater teams.

What else do you expect when these group of guys come together under an umbrella?... They will want to prove a point! That's the only thing they have going for them. The hunger, the desire for success in order to prove a point is their only drive. That is why we shouldn't temper much with current crop of players we have because right now, they are on a rollercoaster. They are a free playing, a free scoring team. They have an "air" of invincibility around them,..there is just this winning mentality that they posses whenever they are playing together. No Wonder they come to camp early, no wonder they gel a lot in camp too.

Once you Temper too much with this current team, it will kill whatever they have going,..only then will you see how the cookie crumbles
Please read Amaju Pinnick on BBC sports. I can't post the link because of the antispam bot. Google it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:24pm On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

Mbappe was nobody at the beginning of last season and two seasons ago at Monaco.

If I knew he was eligible to play two seasons ago, I go don make noise here, that is, if I had perceived he is the real deal. But i was not interested in one way traffic league and where no Nigerian plays.

So, I dont think there is no chance of getting him if we discover him earlier when he was nobody.

He would had considered fast fast.

Is Mbappe a Nigerian?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 6:28pm On Dec 09, 2017
Something is wrong either with Nacho or Leicester angry
Nacho on the bench in Leicester is bad bad news
Its either Nacho is not taking his career serious or he's in the wrong place undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2017
I repeat, Poland is a small name in football. I never implied they are on the same level Iceland. It's just you reading too much into my statements. On paper Poland is a big team (FIFA rating)
Their recent stats show how tricky they come. It does not tell you something exactly except the fact that it looks like they can pull any result. It will not be seen as a big shock if Iceland beats England, going by their recent stats. Poland likewise. Not saying their recent stats are very impressive either.
Both teams can be very deadly if taken for granted.

Take a look at Poland's last 7 matches. Also Iceland.
That's what we should be looking at as regards predictability, not what they did in the 70s and 80s.

tbaba1234:

They are on the level of teams like Croatia, Greece .. After the big teams, Germany Spain, Italy etc... They are on that second tier.

They are no minnows. Iceland can be seen as a minnow until recently.

If Poland beat England, It will not be seen as a big shock compared to when Iceland beat England.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:37pm On Dec 09, 2017
We can't keep crying about this every week. Let's just hope he comes in, and he makes a point for the little time he spends on the pitch.

oloriooko:
Something is wrong either with Nacho or Leicester angry
Nacho on the bench in Leicester is bad bad news
Its either Nacho is not taking his career serious or he's in the wrong place undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 6:43pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
We can't keep crying about this every week. Let's just hope he comes in, and he makes a point for the little time he spends on the pitch.

We are not crying but stating the obvious
Nacho needs to step up his game else he will slide into oblivion
Seem he's not doing well in training and not measuring up whenever he's given the opportunity

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:

I repeat, Poland is a small name in football. I never implied they are on the same level Iceland. It's just you reading too much into my statements. On paper Poland is a big team (FIFA rating)
Their recent stats show how tricky they come. It does not tell you something exactly except the fact that it looks like they can pull any result. It will not be seen as a big shock if Iceland beats England, going by their recent stats. Poland likewise. Not saying their recent stats are very impressive either.
Both teams can be very deadly if taken for granted.

Take a look at Poland's last 7 matches. Also Iceland.
That's what we should be looking at as regards predictability, not what they did in the 70s and 80s.

If Poland is a small name then so is Croatia, so is Nigeria..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2017
Newcastle 1 Leicester 0
15 min gone
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2017
maybe we have a different definition of small name.
Let me have yours

tbaba1234:

If Poland is a small name then so is Croatia, so is Nigeria..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 6:51pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mahrez equallizes Ndidi assist
Newcastle 1 Leicester 1
20 min gone

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:52pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mahrez relies a lot on his left foot just like Iheanacho. If only Iheanacho could be as foxy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:57pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mickael2:

I will explain why I am trying to fit Onyekuru in and not Ahmed Musa or anybody else.

There are teams you come up against and quick passes will not work, Iceland is a perfect example. You can stand infront of their backline and make 20 quick passes but those guys won't move until you come closer and you see that they will double up on each of your players what do you then do? You need quick dribblers. When you have a player who can just beat his immediate marker that creates room instantly and serious panic through the opposing teams rank(this is why I believe Iceland will be mincemeat for Argentina precisely). Now we don't have Messi but we have Onyekuru and Iwobi two guys who are nice(not great) dribblers and under normal circumstances we will place a CF who can pass the ball well and engage in your one-touch-two-go football, in that same way Onyekuru or Iwobi(depending on who is well-placed) can make those Alli-esque runs when the CF falls back and joins the passing triangles in the middle.

Against Croatia though is another thing entirely. We will have to adopt a system similar to Barcelona 2015. These guys midfield will kill us if we engage them so here we sacrifice midfield play for outright direct football. Rakitic is a briliant DMF when he plays there and someone said Kovacic hardly plays for Madrid, well that is because he is out injured, he recently returned and has already played a game for them, pure quality, no need saying much about Modric. There is another problem too, their midfielders all have wonderful shots so they should not be allowed to even come so close to our post which is why I wouldn't play Onazi. In this type of game we need direct players, once we get the ball we should take a maximum of 3-4 touches and get the ball to the forward players without dwelling on midfield play

The reason Ahmed Musa was marked out against France at the WC was because they knew he was direct. Even Onyekuru was marked out in the second leg against PSG after they noticed he dribbles with pace.

What they did was to slow him down by shielding him with two players and they always stayed static( they don't move) and closed him down slowly until he was forced to retreat and pass sideways.

From what I saw he is not suitable for such defensive formation because he can't hold unto the ball and create something out of nothing.

He is best suited for rapid counter attack tactics.

In such situation, you need an attacking midfielder that can hold unto ball, drift into the midfield, dribble one on one in static situation and has good vision to set a through pass.

Iwobi, Mikel and Vicmo will be the perfect personnel for the Iceland match. If Sone Aluko is available, he is also best for this type of game.

I have seen Iceland played and I think they are very good at counter attack once the dispose the ball from their opponent.

If we have to win balls against Croatia, which two DMF do you want to use?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:57pm On Dec 09, 2017
Humility017:

I know you will always take this talk to another level....
you simply can't hide your strong aversion towards the young man...

everyone is saying he should work on his ball control...here you talking he can't trap a ball.

watch how intelligent your comment looks....
a player can't trap a ball...but already playing in the epl...wit 8 goals in 14 matches for the national team...

how can someone who can't trap a ball at all...play this far?

you really need to work on your hate....ooo

ok let me educate you because it seems you are lacking there.

People have been complaining about his first touch, so what is first touch? That is the first touch you apply to a moving ball to get it under control, what does it mean to trap a ball? Trapping a ball means getting a ball under control. So people have been complaining about his first touch right(or ball control like you yourself just pointed out) and somehow when I say the same it becomes hate? Seriously you need to work on yourself honestly, next time you want to come online, take a cold bath, take a cup of coffee and then turn on your data so you don't go about talking rubbish, just a professional advice

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
maybe we have a different definition of small name.
Let me have yours

The realistic expectation for Poland and Nigeria in the WC are about the same.

As a footballing nation, they have WC medals, Olympic football medals (including gold) and made the quarters of the last Euros.

They are not on the level of the big boys, They are average just like Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:01pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mujtahida:

Is Mbappe a Nigerian?

He was eligible to play for Nigeria through his father who is a Cameroonian-Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 7:01pm On Dec 09, 2017
realpoacher:

Well frigging said.

The current crop of Super Eagles players absolutely love playing in the gwg. About the only set of players that enjoy playing for their national team more than their club sides. The Icelandic players are another.

Just don't know how to put it, but this set of players give an air of "just glad to be here, how i wish this international break would be prolonged" whenever they don the gwg. A total contrast to the English players that give the slightest excuse to avoid turning up for the 3 lions.

Our players absolutely love being around each other, that's our strength and that should be maintained at all cost.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2326) (2327) (2328) (2329) (2330) (2331) (2332) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.