Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:21 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2331) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11873280 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2328) (2329) (2330) (2331) (2332) (2333) (2334) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:17pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mickael2:

bro...so sorry for my response to your comment the other time...I realise I made you angry...probably i would have replied better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:18pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mujtahida:

But Bro there was nothing wrong with what he said about Iheanacho not being able to trap a ball. Ball control, trap a ball, first touch all mean the same thing na. Free your mind. You are reading his words through your perception that he hates Iheanacho but what he wrote there was not different from what others said na.

thanks for this...I have apologize to him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:20pm On Dec 09, 2017
Humility017:

I think many a time it will depend on the team we're playing....

I meant his preferred attackers he wishes to take to the world cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:21pm On Dec 09, 2017
ChrisKels:

U r reputed for throwing subtle jibes here and there, getting over urself thinking u r funny. It ain't funny no more bro. U hardly contribute anything meaningful here, all u do is wait for any lil chance to ridicule a post.

Did he ask a lame question? Do u know who pays Pionetti? And now Gine? Stop being silly here.

Ogbeni,I no quote u,even d person o quoted didn't rant grin d way u re doing, y re u crying more Dan d bereaved?

I av said it several times we can't b same,if u not OK with my post,ignore it,SIMPLE grin grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:21pm On Dec 09, 2017
Humility017:

you're right about elderson...just that I will appreciate he sits more on the bench..while in the SE

Haha! Bench kwa!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:24pm On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

I meant his preferred attackers he wishes to take to the world cup.
that march friendly will tell to a large extent those who will be goin to Russia....
let's wait till then...
I pray NFF make it two friendlies for that month...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:25pm On Dec 09, 2017
yes that was exactly the reason why I wanted the strongest opponents possible for friendlies.

Humility017:

I get your points...now.
though...Iceland and Denmark have some similarities in their playing pattern..both good wit set piece too...especially when it has to do wit the head...

anyway...I will want a very strong team for friendlies at least to expose weakness in the team....
rohr is a very intelligent coach...and someone who quickly move to correct errors...proactive.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:28pm On Dec 09, 2017
Ndidi is a warrior. Did u see how he took out those two guys?
I don't think Africa has a better DM presently who is of same age with him.
Did u see that nasa pass (the assist)?

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:28pm On Dec 09, 2017
Humility017:

that march friendly will tell to a large extent those who will be goin to Russia....
let's wait till then...
I pray NFF make it two friendlies for that month...

That's true. Until then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:28pm On Dec 09, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:31pm On Dec 09, 2017
Joebie:
yes that was exactly the reason why I wanted the strongest opponents possible for friendlies.

then let's pray we get Germany...
of a truth my brother...countries that will likely want us for friendlies are those who will be facing Similiar Africa oppositions wit us....

those likely to play Senegal & France....others may likely not see it benefiting to them.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:31pm On Dec 09, 2017
Humility017:

bro...so sorry for my response to your comment the other time...I realise I made you angry...probably i would have replied better.

from your own point of view what you said was okay. I guess you thought I was saying that Iheancho does not even know the basic of football(here in Nigeria when we say someone cannot trap a ball it means that that person is eh grin) but at the time I made that comment I did not have that in mind at all so I am also sorry for the way I replied, peace
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2017
Ndidi contribution to Leicester s game is quietly enormous but noticed that he's gradually shying away from and becoming less confident of taking long range shots as he used to
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2017
mazimee:
Leicester City Boss Refuses To Rule Out Selling Kelechi Iheanacho In January
Published: December 09, 2017

Leicester City boss Claude Puel has refused to rule out the possibility of selling Nigeria star Kelechi Iheanacho four weeks before the winter transfer market opens for business.

The Foxes have six strikers in the first team consisting of Iheanacho, Vardy, Ahmed Musa, Slimani, Okazaki and Ulloa, and the former Man City starlet has found game time hard to come by after making only two starts in the Premier League from a possible fifteen.
''Kelechi had an injury and after, for the moment, we have competition,'' Puel was quoted as saying by Leicester Mercury

''I am happy with Jamie for example. Kelechi or other players cannot play on the side.
''It’s difficult for them, but for me also to manage all these players because we have six strikers so there is no place for all the players.''

Puel added :: ''I try to respect them. Kelechi arrived this season and we will see. With all these games in this busy period, we will see.

''Time will tell. The window is not open, we will see. For the moment, we just look at all these games. We need all the players.''
Iheanacho penned a five-year contract with Leicester City in the summer for a fee in the region of 25 million pounds.

I think it was not long I point out the @bolded as regards Iheanacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:34pm On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

That's true. Until then.
let's pray NFF secure another friendly.

let all the prospects be tried....
especially onyekuru, kayode and success....
alhassan, Joel obi...those who have been sitting on the bench for sometime now...should play one of the match just to get a clue of their qualifies and who to add to the team...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 8:34pm On Dec 09, 2017
ChrisKels:

i still think that guy is a beast , and he is one of our workhorse in Leicester city ,dependable and presently indispensable , his contribution will be vital come next year .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mickael2:

from your own point of view what you said was okay. I guess you thought I was saying that Iheancho does not even know the basic of football(here in Nigeria when we say someone cannot trap a ball it means that that person is eh grin) but at the time I made that comment I did not have that in mind at all so I am also sorry for the way I replied, peace
peace too....
thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2017
Ndidi performance massive..

6 tackles
3 interceptions
3 clearances.

This guy is a machine...

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:36pm On Dec 09, 2017
lexyman:

i still think that guy is a beast , and he is one of our workhorse in Leicester city ,dependable and presently indispensable , his contribution will be vital come next year .
pray he stays fit for the world cup....

how I wish nancho and musa could have been wise also wit their moves....

nancho really ruined that opportunity he had to join Monaco...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:37pm On Dec 09, 2017
elyte89:

Ogbeni,I no quote u,even d person o quoted didn't rant grin d way u re doing, y re u crying more Dan d bereaved?

I av said it several times we can't b same,if u not OK with my post,ignore it,SIMPLE grin grin

Bereaved my left nyash. U dun ridicule my post several times I ignored but I wanna call u out today bkus e dun too much.

I expected/expect better contributions from u like elyte(elites) do. In here, try to live up to Dat ur sweet moniker young man or... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:37pm On Dec 09, 2017
I can't see Ndidi staying in Leicester too much longer. All he needs now is a big WC with Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:39pm On Dec 09, 2017
Wilfred Ndidi vs Newcastle

1 assist
100 touches
75 passes
79% pass accuracy
2 key passes
2 dribbles
6 tackles won
3 interceptions
3 clearances
7 aerials won

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:48pm On Dec 09, 2017
We've become quite deadly in counter attack, irrespective of our formation.

I think the game will be won in the midfield. I will have to study the Croatian's defense line to come up with which strikers will fare better against them.

forgiveness:

I see.

So, which players will you choose for attack positions?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:48pm On Dec 09, 2017
Of course that's a realistic expectation

Humility017:

then let's pray we get Germany...
of a truth my brother...countries that will likely want us for friendlies are those who will be facing Similiar Africa oppositions wit us....

those likely to play Senegal & France....others may likely not see it benefiting to them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 8:49pm On Dec 09, 2017
forgiveness:

Mbappe was nobody at the beginning of last season and two seasons ago at Monaco.

If I knew he was eligible to play two seasons ago, I go don make noise here, that is, if I had perceived he is the real deal. But i was not interested in one way traffic league and where no Nigerian plays.

So, I dont think there is no chance of getting him if we discover him earlier when he was nobody.

He would had considered fast fast.

I don't think so, with France, he has hope. I mean that team is dominated by African origin players. No one knew about his Nigerian identity until he was an established international for France.

He got his debut, at the age of 19 right? I'm not sure we could have capped him at that young age.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 8:51pm On Dec 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
I can't see Ndidi staying in Leicester too much longer. All he needs now is a big WC with Nigeria.

He's a mourinho kind of player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 8:56pm On Dec 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
Wilfred Ndidi vs Newcastle

1 assist
100 touches
75 passes
79% pass accuracy
2 key passes
2 dribbles
6 tackles won
3 interceptions
3 clearances
7 aerials won

When you watch Ndidi and Awaziem play, there's this hunger in them, something that an average African player lacks.

I see these lads going far if they continue this way.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:59pm On Dec 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
Rohr's recent interview with a french paper. He is playing Poland for Croatia. Talks about find a keeper that satisfies them fully.

CC: Icon4s, joebie, komekn, Mujtahida, Joseph1013, Kog45, certitude, humility017, safarigirl, forgiveness,

NIGERIA / GERNOT ROHR: "A SUCCESS AT THE WORLD CUP WOULD BE EXCEPTIONAL" [EXCLUDING 365]
POSTED ON 9 DECEMBER 2017 AT 12H10 - UPDATED ON 9 DECEMBER 2017 AT 12H19 PATRICK JUILLARD

Gernot Rohr, hot after the draw for the World Cup, you said "It's going to be a physical challenge against the Icelanders, a technical challenge against the Croatians, and a challenge to the Argentineans." Can you detail? What is your opinion on these 3 opponents?

Rohr: This draw is a difficult draw, with three good teams. Our first opponent will be Croatia. The match will take place in Kaliningrad, an eccentric place with a bit of jet lag and a former German city that I already know a bit. Croatia is capable of great things with a team of stars playing in the biggest clubs. They are able to beat the biggest, but also to be surprised by less prestigious teams. It will be up to us to question them. Their technical qualities are huge but we also have a quality game. This is the most important match, and we hope to prepare it, against opponents similar to Croatia. So we will play Poland at home on March 23rd.

Iceland remains more difficult to define ...

Rohr: Iceland has worked hard for ten or twelve years with extraordinary structures to play football all year long despite the harsh weather conditions. Domes of football, where you can play at any time have been installed, with a dozen per region. Work is done from an early age. Today, it is a team that knows how to play football but who remains very physical and supportive. It is expected for this match that takes place in Volgograd to a very difficult game. Supporters will come in large numbers in charters to win their team. It will be an unprecedented match in the history of the World Cup, which adds spice. In this group, it is amusing to see that the four teams know each other very well in pairs: Croatia knows Iceland well,

Nigeria will meet Argentina for the fifth time in the finals, a record. How to finally take points against this opponent?

We will not make the mistake of thinking that we already know them. We beat them in friendly Krasnodar last month, but Argentina played without Lionel Messi. And Argentina without Messiit's not the same team. They have four goals, they may not have changed much defensively, but offensively they can change everything. Argentina is still vice-champion of the world, and had not passed away from the coronation in 2014. This team is perhaps at the end of the cycle, but it can make it all the more formidable, with players eager to prove that they can win. I met Jorge Burruchaga in the draw. He told me "we are coming to win the World Cup. They have chosen a magnificent base camp and will put the package to make it happen.

Do you have an idea of ​​the ideal preparation program?

We chose a base camp that we visited in southern Russia, between Sochi and Volgograd, in the countryside, in a region of mineral and spa baths. We will be far from everything, with opportunities for care and excellent conditions of recovery between games. At 500 meters altitude, it will not be too hot.

On which points do you think you can make the most progress by June?

I think we can always progress on all levels: technical, but also tactical and physical. Tactically, we must be able to adapt according to our opponents. For example, we tried against Argentina, we tried a defense to three, which can turn into a defense to five. We can still do more. Physically, we will be ready. We will take a second physical trainer, in this case Bernard Ginès, I had in my staff in Nice, between 2002 and 2005. We will receive FieldWiz, which are GPS to work better in detail. We will have to progress in the detection of our own players so as not to be mistaken on the list of 30, then that of 23. We will strengthen the scouting team.

What about mental preparation?

We have already shown that we are mentally tough, but it will be even more for the World Cup. We already have a mental trainer with Nabil Trabelsi. Do not flood the group with too many foreign faces. We are not sick, we do not need psychiatrists (laughs).

Does Nigeria have the means to become the first African team semi-finalist of a World Cup?
It's a dream, it's a wish. To think we can do it would be pretentious. We will first try to pass the chickens. Then, it is another pair of sleeves, we will advise from match to match depending on the opponents. Nigeria today has the youngest team in the World Cup with 24.9 years of average age. The figure may be even lower in Russia, as we spotted a 19-year-old goalkeeper in La Coruna . We also come to learn: the life of Nigerian football does not stop after the World Cup. I sincerely believe that we have players who share my ambition to go very far and who have the technical means.

As a technician, is participating in a World Cup the best challenge of your career?

Yes, it's for me the most beautiful. It has been fantastic to qualify in this difficult group with Algeria, Cameroon and Zambia. To have a shot at the World Cup would be exceptional. I prepare myself as best as I can, personally. Every detail counts in the preparation and the choice of the players. We found young people at certain positions. The last challenge is to find a goalkeeper who satisfies us fully. We are working with my guardian coach, Enrico Pionetti. CHAN will be important to take stock. Ikechukwu Ezenwa will participate, under the direction of my assistant Salisu Yusuf. I will follow things closely.

On a personal level, several media announced your extension to the position of coach. What is it really ?

The verbal agreement was reinforced by an official handshake. We met in Moscow with representatives of the executive committee of the Federation. We agreed on a two-year extension. I thank my leaders for this trust. Beyond the World Cup, the goal is CAN 2019. We want to come back and win.

http://www.football365.fr/nigeria-gernot-rohr-reussir-coup-a-coupe-monde-serait-exceptionnel-exclu365-7021852.html
Very detailed and good for him to recognize that we are having issues in our goalkeeping dept.

Ezenwa has CHAN to make WC team any bad performance he is out.Hope Ajiboye would give him serous competition so that he can raise his game.

Uzoho has WC slot under his belt just need another similar performance just as he did against Argentina to get the nod.

Akpeyi might nick it if Ezenwa didn't measure up but need a good psychologist to overcome his nervousness in national team. Hope he get another chance.

Ajiboye w be waiting for his chance at CHAN if Ezenwa put another similar performance like he did against Algeria

Alampasu hope lie on Uzoho performance, another good outing from Uzoho will gives Alampasu a chance cos Rohr would be more convince that better to give another young lad a chance.

As Rohr said goalkeeping is the major challenge now .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:02pm On Dec 09, 2017
tbaba1234:

They are on the level of teams like Croatia, Greece .. After the big teams, Germany Spain, Italy etc... They are on that second tier.

They are no minnows. Iceland can be seen as a minnow until recently.

If Poland beat England, It will not be seen as a big shock compared to when Iceland beat England.

The population of Iceland as a whole is 300,000 not up to one local government area In Lagos.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 09, 2017
It seems that the planned press conference by the NFF to disclose world cup plans have been shifted from Dec 11th with the new date yet to be decided/communicated

http://aoifootball.com/2017/12/06/russia-2018-nff-shifts-planned-world-press-conference-on-eagles-plans/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:14pm On Dec 09, 2017
kennysville:

Hmmm... learn sha? What is he supposed to learn? How to do the basics? Was he having that problem before pep? This is a guy that was sooo confident playing no 10 position. For you to play that role, you must have a good degree of ball control and distribution. I think the awe of Guadiola took all that away from him. The need to please a manager who doesnt even rate him. You are saying was I not amongst those clamouring for his exit from Man City?. My answer is an emphatic yes! I was and I still stand by my statement. Iheanacho got frustrated out of Man city. Would we say Sterling fought for his shirt? Like seriously? Sterling was crap when he got to City. Much worse than Iheanacho. Yet he played week in week out. He got some right , he got a lot wrong.

Sterling is putting up good perfomance because he had chances upon chances given to him by his coach . Same cannot be said of Iheanacho. Lets call it what it is. His confidence took a hit when Guadiola arrived. If Iheanacho got half the minutes that sterling got by virtue of his coach confidence, he would be firing on all cylinders.

This takes me to his leicester team. Everyone wants this guy to have scored at least 10 goal by now but the reality is he got injured before the season even started, bear in mind also that he did not participate in any form of pre season tour whether with City or Leicester. I dont do sentimental analysis. Those who know me know I do objective analysis. The dude hasnt had much starts since this season began. The dynamics in the leicester team is not the same as what we have in Man City.

I dare you to bench Jamie Vardy for the next 6 games and start Iheanacho in front. Pair him with Okazaki and ensure Demarai Gray is in the mix as well and lets see who will return better goals ratio... Until that happens,those saying he isnt quality should stop talking. Thank you

Disclaimer: I dont hold any brief for Iheanacho, I rarely sing his praises. I only pointed out areas in his games where he seems lacking and needs to improve upon. The dude needs game time. End of story

Sterling was crap, what? shocked shocked shocked grin

You must be joking, sir.

I got to know about Sterling Raheem when Liverpool bought Jordan Ibe. Prior to that time there was one other Nigerian at Liverpool called Amoo who was promising but later faded away.

Raheem was too good for the academy that he was rapidly promoted to the main team within a year.

He was just 16 years then but he had started training and playing with the first team at 17 years.

I watched some of his games when he was unplayable at the acedamy. He would seldomly dribble from the half field to score many times then and that was why his style was compared with Owen.

He didn't disappoint after he was promoted to Liverpool's first team. We saw the replica of his solo goals at acedemy in the EPL too. That was to show that his performance at the acedemy was not fluke..

Even, Vicmo sat on the bench for him at Liverpool.

Bros, if Raheem was scrap, do you think Man city will buy him in the first place?

Bottom line is Raheem was no scrap at Liverpool.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:15pm On Dec 09, 2017
oloriooko:
Something is wrong either with Nacho or Leicester angry
Nacho on the bench in Leicester is bad bad news
Its either Nacho is not taking his career serious or he's in the wrong place undecided

Definitely something is wrong.

Consider how Leicester play and how KC can complement that style of play or has not complemented thier style of play. That will answer your question objectively and without prejudice.

Today oday they played 4-4-1-1 at least KC is on the bench. Musa is not on the bench.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2328) (2329) (2330) (2331) (2332) (2333) (2334) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Famocious(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.