Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2409) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11755860 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2406) (2407) (2408) (2409) (2410) (2411) (2412) ... (16184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 12:58pm On Dec 20, 2017
I dont agree there is any gang up against Nigeria anywhere.

If you do well enough, you will win anything.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:01pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:
I dont agree there is any gang up against Nigeria anywhere.

If you do well enough, you will win anything.

Can you pls help me answer my questions? Thanks

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:04pm On Dec 20, 2017
mazimee:

This justifies the point someone here made saying that the criteria changes when a Nigerian is involved

There is double standard used I guess.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 1:05pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Can you pls help me answer my questions? Thanks

Where is the question?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 1:06pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Another Blow: No Nigerian On The CAF Player Of The Year List

nametalkam at 05:36 PM, 9 Nov 11 (6 years ago)
(13464 | Hero) Online (m)
Nigerian football once again got overlooked when Caf announced the list of players that will contest for the African footballer of the year awards in December.

Ten players were placed in the long list that includes Ivorians Didi-er Drogba, Yaya Toure and Gervinho; Ghanaians Asamoah Gyan, Kevin Prince-Boateng and Andre Ayew; Cameroonian Samuel Eto’o, Senegalese Moussa Sow, Malian Seydou Keita and Moroccan Adel Taarabt.

Peter Odemwingie didn't make the list despite scoring 15 league goals at West Brom and win two Premier League player of the month awards.

However, Uche Kalu of Enyimba was listed in the section for players based on the continent. The 25 year-old has never been invited to the senior national team.

The last time a Nigerian won the Caf player of the year award was 1999 when Nwankwo Kanu took his second title. The Super Eagles’ poor international performances have likely affected the standing of Nigerians in individual awards as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiYhKC4uJjYAhVB6KQKHS-sDRwQFghFMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww..com%2Ftalk%2Ftopic%2C84306.0.html&usg=AOvVaw0wNP0bu7MQEhvNKklgipK5

2011 news in 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 1:06pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

There is double standard used I guess.

LOL.

Someone sits beside all 94 african coaches and captains and say "don't vote for a Nigerian o, if you vote them, I will beat you"

Nigerians are very funny.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:07pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

Where is the question?

Look up small, na. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:08pm On Dec 20, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Watford: Marco Silva praises Isaac Success despite striker being linked with move away

Harry Gray

Isaac Success’ ability to adapt has impressed Marco Silva, despite the forward being linked with a move away from Watford.

The Nigeria international is, the Watford Observer understands, expected to leave Vicarage Road next month in search of regular football.

Success was reportedly arrested after allegedly being involved in an argument over money with prostitutes in October, understandably leading to questions about his off-field behaviour.

Silva, however, says he has been pleased with the way in which Success has adapted both in understanding his responsibilities and in changing his style of play.

“I didn’t have a big problem with him and for me it is not the problems in a direct relationship but everything that had happened around the player,” Silva said.

“He is different now and understands what I want, what our commitment as a team is and what we need to do as a club.

“It is our job to help him and I have seen good skills in him. It is important that he has the passion to wait for the right moment and he needs to work hard.”

Silva revealed Success, who has been out with a knee injury, is back in first team training and could be in contention to play within the next few weeks.

The Watford boss says the timing of the injury was not ideal as it ruled Success out at a time when he was beginning to impress.

“I think this season he has learned some new things. The injury came at his best moment in the season,” he said.

“It was a moment when he was showing his work every day. He was very, very good and was in a good moment.

“He had the injury which broke everything and now is the moment to work hard again.”

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/15709069.Silva__Success_working_hard_to_impress/

This is how a coach talks about his player publicly. Isaac Success is barely playing but the coach is not running him down

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:11pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

LOL.

Someone sits beside all 94 african coaches and captains and say "don't vote for a Nigerian o, if you vote them, I will beat you"

Out of the 94 African countries, how many are French?

The remaining English countries don't seems to like Nigeria based on my personal encounters with them.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 1:18pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Out of the 94 African countries, how many are French?

The remaining English countries don't seems to like Nigeria based on my personal encounters with them.

lol.

When Nigerians dominated between 1993 - 1999, the countries were not French?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:23pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

lol.

When Nigerians dominated between 1993 - 1999, the countries were not French?
and since then, it just happens that no Nigerian has ever been good enough for the award?

There are many Nigerians who still don't realise that Nigeria is easily the most loathed African nation by other Africans, and also don't realize that Sentiments play a HUGE part in these things and yes, it is possible for people to gang up against this country and our players will suffer because the other countries simply can't stand us running our big mouths if we win.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 1:37pm On Dec 20, 2017
safarigirl:
and since then, it just happens that no Nigerian has ever been good enough for the award?

There are many Nigerians who still don't realise that Nigeria is easily the most loathed African nation by other Africans, and also don't realize that Sentiments play a HUGE part in these things and yes, it is possible for people to gang up against this country and our players will suffer because the other countries simply can't stand us running our big mouths if we win.

Tell me a year a Nigerian did better than the eventual winner.

And yes, I know some Africans, like Ghanaians, Kenyans and South Africans, dont really like Nigeria, but many other African countries literally idolize Nigerians.

I have met many Algerians, Moroçcans and Egyptians in countries like UAE and Saudi Arabia andthey never ceased to talk about Nigerian footballers. Some ofthem know Nigerian footballers more than Nigeria.

The conspiracy theory against Nigeria as accountable for not winning APOTY is a fallacy.

Nigeria has been producing just average players and a lot of bench warmers in the last 15 years. No way they could have won APOTY.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:37pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

In 2010/2011 season, Odenwingie scored 15 goals with 9 assists and won EPL player of month two times, i say two times but he was not even considered for CAF award. Why? if it is not all about winning trophies but individual performance.

That same season Yaya Toure scored only 10 goals with just 7 assists yet he was crowned the best player in Africa, why?

To add salt to injury,the runner up Seydou Keita scored only 6 goals with 4 assists. what is the criteria used?

Adrew Ayew came 3rd and he managed to score 13 goals with 6 assists. Why was he nominated but Peter Odenwingie ignored?

I need cogent and precise explanation. Thanks

You forgot to mention the small matter that Yaya Toure scored a breathtaking goal in the FA cup semi finals to oust Manchester United and also scored in the final against Stoke for Manchester City to win their first ever trophy in 35years. He also scored double figures that season which helped Man city climb to the pinnacle of English football.
This is no small achievement for a midfielder.

Osaze's case wasn't helped with the fact he played for a terrible West Bromwich Albino team. Amir Zaki would have won the award in 2008 but he played for a modest wigan side....
I still can't find the anti Nigerian agenda here..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:59pm On Dec 20, 2017
peeps

Moses issue sef.....

www.nairaland.com/4243273/download-hot-new-single-mzeeofficial#63440634

Download and listen.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:04pm On Dec 20, 2017
OGN reports that NFF opens talks with Ryan Sanusi

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

Tell me a year a Nigerian did better than the eventual winner.

And yes, I know some Africans, like Ghanaians, Kenyans and South Africans, dont really like Nigeria, but many other African countries literally idolize Nigerians.

I have met many Algerians, Moroçcans and Egyptians in countries like UAE and Saudi Arabia andthey never ceased to talk about Nigerian footballers. Some ofthem know Nigerian footballers more than Nigeria.

The conspiracy theory against Nigeria as accountable for not winning APOTY is a fallacy.

Nigeria has been producing just average players and a lot of bench warmers in the last 15 years. No way they could have won APOTY.

We haven't managed to produce any real Super star player since Kanu/Okocha. It wasn't out of place to see foreigners purchase Nigerian player Jersey or merchandise.
The closet we came to produce one was Martins. Unfortunately his ill advised move to Newcastle robbed him that. He would gave been better off at Valentia, forming a deadly partnership with David Villa, mata and Silva, but he followed the money to Newcastle instead.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2017
lol yes there should be a specified amount of points per parameter.
And maybe votes should also be one of the parameters. That way votes won't carry 100% weight.
And this should apply to Best of FIFA Awards as well.

kennysville:

You know what I feel? I feel after those parameters must have been spelt out, let computers do the actual voting. Human beings will always be human beings with their absurd preferences and clouded judgements. That way, you have fairness.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 2:11pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

We haven't managed to produce any real Super star player since Kanu/Okocha. It wasn't out of place to see foreigners purchase Nigerian player Jersey or merchandise.
The closet we came to produce one was Martins. Unfortunately his ill advised move to Newcastle robbed him that. He would gave been better off at Valentia, forming a deadly partnership with David Villa, Sshould have gone to Valentia

Gbam. Anywhere I go outside Nigeria, the last Nigerian players everyone talks about are Finidi, Yekini, Okocha etc, despite their retirement decades ago.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:22pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

Gbam. Anywhere I go outside Nigeria, the last Nigerian players everyone talks about are Finidi, Yekini, Okocha etc, despite their retirement decades ago.

In Cape Town, an American guy asked if I was Kanu's brother, when he learnt I was Nigerian. I said yes, of course!
A lot of Nigerians have had doors opened a jar for them at the mention of the name Kanu, Okocha, Amunike etall

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:42pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

You forgot to mention the small matter that Yaya Toure scored a breathtaking goal in the FA cup semi finals to oust Manchester United and also scored in the final against Stoke for Manchester City to win their first ever trophy in 35years. He also scored double figures that season which helped Man city climb to the pinnacle of English football.
This is no small achievement for a midfielder.

Osaze's case wasn't helped with the fact he played for a terrible West Bromwich Albino team. Amir Zaki would have won the award in 2008 but he played for Wigan....
I still can't find the anti Nigerian agenda here..

So, those two goals were enough to crown him?

Why is terrible West Brom problem if it is all about individual performance?

Did Yaya win player of the month and Manchester City player of the year?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:48pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

So, those two goals were enough to crown?

lol...imagine winning an award because you scored a terrific goal at FA Cup finals?

Just imagine!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 2:53pm On Dec 20, 2017
safarigirl:
lol...imagine winning an award because you scored a terrific goal at FA Cup finals?

Just imagine!

Ordinary FA Cup, they change standard when a Nigerian is involved

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:59pm On Dec 20, 2017
Bia, you ain't getting no Christmas present if you don't agree with me tongue

And by the way, I think that they should start using stats to award Ballon d'Or and all the other individual awards. That would eliminate the need for voting. Just assign points to everything, eg: 5 points for goals, 3 points for assists, tackles won 3 points, completed pass 2 points, etc etc.

What say ye to that suggestion??

O pari

safarigirl:
first off, the words of his team mate hold no water because that's like your brother endorsing you for a post.

Secondly, you never miss your daily Messi hailing

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2017
Bingo! That's my sentiments, exactly!!

We kept criticizing the poor boy when they haven't really given him a chance to perform. I can understand the criticism if he has been given opportunities upon opportunities and failed to capitalize. But in Kelechi's case, he started his Leicester city career on the bench and has rarely received substantial playing time; yet some folks on Nairaland kept bashing him. I think that it's unfair, that's why I tend to defend him. I am not making excuses for him ... just wanna put things in perspectives.

O pari

darkelf:

It's alright bro. We can all learn from each other.

Although KC played quite well today. I believe his time will soon come. He just needs to keep on working hard.

Claude also needs to give him more playing time. He really needs a coach that believes in his potential and encourages him constantly

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:10pm On Dec 20, 2017
Thank you, bruh! Trust me, Cahill wouldn't even be playing for Chelsea, talk less of being the captain, if he isn't an English international. Sometimes you need to be politically savvy in order to understand what's going on with some of these football clubs. And the coaches are aware of it too, that's why they do what they do sometimes.

O pari

enigmaticmotik:

He was the second worst player after Alonzo (in terms of their defensive capabilities).

I guess Chelsea/EPL don't like a black captain (not an assistant), same way Chelsea treated Babayaro for Terry to get the captain's band, but they were more diplomatic this time about giving it to Cahill, so they had to keep Mikel out of the team instead because the guy was still performing but wasn't even given a playing chance by conte at all. Is Mikel really that bad?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:12pm On Dec 20, 2017
You'd be surprised grin
Stranger things have happened tongue

O pari

enigmaticmotik:

Calm down man, are you going to beat him from where you are? He his entitled to his opinion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:15pm On Dec 20, 2017
Actually, the fans liked Kobe but the pundits despised him. They think he's arrogant and cocky, especially after the whole issues with Shaq. And it's the pundits and coaches who votes for MVPs. That's what cost Kobe .... big time.

O pari

goldfish80:

Granted, Kobe was the defining player of his generation. As a matter of fact, the number 8 in my handle is actually dedicated to him. I'm a huge fan like that.
However, judging by stats and numbers , Kobe had players who outperformed him. I mean, we have to appreciate there were some great players who were also in their prime when Kobe reigned.

Steve Nash you mentioned, was hands down the greatest passing PG the game have ever witnessed. His assist numbers were absolutely crazy. The NBA will never see such a point guard in next 100 years.

Finally, the Mvp is never about popularity. If it was, LeBron should have won 7 straight Mvp in the last 7 years. If it was popularity, Kobe would have won tonnes of Mvps. He was the most popular player in his time. As a matter of fact, his popularity earned him All star nominations when things began to go South for him.
Kobe was unfortunate to play for a poor lakers team. The lakers have been trash since Mr Phill Jackson left.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 3:16pm On Dec 20, 2017
tbaba1234:

This is kelechi in 2010, receiving the top scorer award when he was in the Nff under 13.

Every Nigerian that has ever doubted this guy's age should cover their faces in shame. The picture of 2010, this is awesome...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:18pm On Dec 20, 2017
Some of you are incredibly and unbelievably naïve! *SMDH*

O pari

Jarus:

LOL.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:22pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

In Cape Town, an American guy asked if I was Kanu's brother, when he learnt I was Nigerian. I said yes, of course!
A lot of Nigerians have had doors opened a jar for them at the mention of the name Kanu, Okocha, Amunike etall

In Dubai, an Egyptian trader spent more time talking about JJ etc than the time he spent convincing me to buy his wares.

In an Istanbul-Medina flight last year, my Algerian seat partner spent more than half of the 2-hour flight time talking about Finidi, Amokachi, etc

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:24pm On Dec 20, 2017
Well said. Let's hope that Marco Silva can help Success turn his career around because he's someone we'd actually need in this Super Eagles team if he's in top shape and performing. Isaac is a great talent and no one needs a 40 year old Obafemi Marthins grin

O pari

tbaba1234:

This is how a coach talks about his player publicly. Isaac Success is barely playing but the coach is not running him down

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:28pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

So, those two goals were enough to crown him?

Yaya Toure had a great season for Man city. His 10 goals from Midfield pushed Man city from a mid table team to the top 3. He crowned it all with an Fa cup whichhe basically handed over to city after 35yrs trophyless. . .

I dont know what youre trying to prove.

Its academic, if you want to be recognised in Africa, dont play for the likes of Wigan, Portsmouth or Westbrom. . . . Nobody will take you serious.

It is that simple

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2406) (2407) (2408) (2409) (2410) (2411) (2412) ... (16184) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: yemyke001(m), Danielnino00(m), geonyte(m), ddone and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.