Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,344 members, 7,829,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2410) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11753005 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2407) (2408) (2409) (2410) (2411) (2412) (2413) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:35pm On Dec 20, 2017
mazimee:

I hope we have a replacement for him?, I like this brother but it is sad that he is not fit enough to play that position. He is easily injured.
There are capable replacements for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 3:50pm On Dec 20, 2017
mazimee:
Nigeria FF boss questions Caf's Awards criteria after Moses snub
goal.com Dec 19, 2017 4:30 PM

Amaju Pinnick reckons the Super Eagles star performed very well in 2017 and should have made the final cut for the Player of the Year gong

Nigerian Football Federation president Amaju Pinnick believes Super Eagles attacker Victor Moses did just enough to deserve a spot on the final shortlist of nominees for the prestigious Caf African Player of the Year award.

The Chelsea winger was arguably the biggest of seven casualties as the continental football governing body announced its ultimate category nominees for the awards gala slated for January 4 in Accra on Monday.

The winger was seeking to become the first Nigerian to win the top honour since Nwankwo Kanu in 1999, after a largely successful 2017 campaign for club and country.

“I’m not happy because I feel that Moses should be part of the last three," Pinnick told Citi Sports.

"The only reason why [Riyad] Mahrez won the award last year was because of what he did with Leicester [City].

"And Moses helped Chelsea to win the league; played in the FA Cup final; and helped Nigeria qualify for the World Cup. So I wonder why."

Egypt international Mohamed Salah, 2015 winner Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Gabon and Senegal striker Sadio Mane made the final trio.

"I’m surprised. Maybe we should look at other criteria either than coaches who already have their mindset about who they want to vote for," Pinnick added.

"Tell me what Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang did last year to deserve a place ahead of Moses. Aubameyang should not be on that list. He’s struggling with [Borussia] Dortmund.”

“I am going to send a proposal to CAF for a new idea of selecting the players because certainly I’m not happy."

Moses also recently missed out on the BBC African Footballer of the Year award, a gong picked up by Liveroool's Salah.

I appreciate this man for standing up for Moses, so many people on this thread have been trying to put Moses down. The first question they need to ask is, how many trophies did any of the shortlisted candidate win in 2016/17 season and how important was the trophy? How many of these players' team qualified for the WC before the last match? And how influential were they to the qualification. Moses' performance for both Chelsea and Nigeria was extremely crucial. The caliber of players they compete with in their team also should be put into consideration (my opinion though). Putting all this together, Moses should have been among the three shortlisted player even if he wouldn't be the eventual winner

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:54pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:
I have said it times without numbers that Onyekuru can't play the Striker role but some people : wants to make us believe otherwise just to squeeze him into the team.

Onyekuru must fight for the LW position but I don't think he is the best or inform in that position currently in Europe even in Belgium. grin

Everton Loanee Henry Criticized By Anderlecht Coach For The Umpteenth Time

Published: December 18, 2017

Henry Onyekuru is still in the bad books of Anderlecht manager Hein Vanhaezebrouck following his side's disgraceful 5-0 loss to Club Brugge in the Belgian First Division A on Sunday.

Despite the Everton loanee spending approximately half an hour on the Jan Breydelstadion (Brugge) turf, he came under fire from the coach yet again.

''It does not make much sense to put Onyekuru at the center, but when he is standing there, he does not move, and he just moves to the left..., he always lets himself down,'' Vanhaezebrouck was quoted as saying by voetbalkrant.com.

Henry Onyekuru is one of the best players in Belgium and Anderlecht's top scorer in the league, but Vanhaezebrouck is not impressed.

He added : ''He does score now and then, but the last few weeks have not been as good either, his contribution went down.''

This season, Onyekuru has written his name on the score-sheet ten times from 27 appearances in all competitions for the Belgian champions.

Igho Kinsgley

Photo Credit : Instagram.com

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/915905483?-21310:11479:1
Is that how the Coach criticizes all his players? or is Onyekuru the only player that is not measuring up to par in the team.

Funny thing is that you do not get to hear the Coach's criticism about the main striker.

This Coach is not a good man manager as far as he continues with Onyekuru's criticism in the media.

If Onyekuru is not performing well in the striking role. He should teach him.

Forgiveness stop judging Onyekuru with his Coach's criticism.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:58pm On Dec 20, 2017
enigmaticmotik:

I appreciate this man for standing up for Moses, so many people on this thread have been trying to put Moses down. The first question they need to ask is, how many trophies did any of the shortlisted candidate win in 2016/17 season and how important was the trophy? How many of these players' team qualified for the WC before the last match? And how influential were they to the qualification. Moses' performance for both Chelsea and Nigeria was extremely crucial. The caliber of players they compete with in their team also should be put into consideration (my opinion though). Putting all this together, Moses should have been among the three shortlisted player even if he wouldn't be the eventual winner

Sorry, Salah was the highest scorer in Africa for the World Cup qualifiers.

He also scored goals that stopped Nigeria from qualifying for AFCON 2017.

Football doesnt revolve around Nigeria or Nigerian players. Monitor other players too.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:07pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

Yaya Toure had a great season for Man city. His 10 goals from Midfield pushed Man city from a midtable team to the top 3. He crowned it all withan Fa cup whichhe basically handed over to city afte 35yrs trophyless. . .

I dont know what youre trying to prove.

Its academic, if you want to be recognised in Africa, dont play for the likes of Wigan, Portsmouth or Westbrom. . . . Nobody will take you serious.

It is that simple

Oh! I see. Obafemi Martins played for middle team in 2004/2005 season hence the award eluded him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:15pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Oh! I see. Obafemi Martins played for middle table in 2004/2005 season hence the award eluded him.

Martins had himself to blame. The delay in acceptance to play for for Nigeria had him without a record in the African scene.
I wonder why Ghanaians don't feel hated. After all, Asamoah Ghyan was listed as Ballon dor nominee while at Sunderland, yet he didn't win APOTY
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:24pm On Dec 20, 2017
Icon79:
Some of you are incredibly and unbelievably naïve! *SMDH*

O pari

Learn to argue or counter argue with Sense. You always take huge advantage of this Faceless Forum to attack Anyone that ain't in Tandem with your School of Thought Bullshìt senselessly.

Seem you think you are Mr. KIA (Know it all)?! Or the most exposed Moniker on this Thread?! I care not to ask after your Age, coz you do reasoning like a pampered Kid often.

Kindly endeavor to maintain a Decorum, use your Sense, at least once in a While.

O Pari!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:28pm On Dec 20, 2017
Oasis007:

Learn to argue or counter argue with Sense. You always take huge advantage of this Faceless Forum to attack Anyone that ain't in Tandem with your School of Thought Bullshìt senselessly.

Seem you think you are Mr. KIA (Know it all)?! Or the most exposed Moniker on this Thread?! I care not to ask after your Age, but you do reasoning like a pampered Kid often.

Kindly endeavor to maintain a Decorum, use your Sense, at least once in a While.

O Pari!

Make anoda thesupernerd scenario no occur o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:28pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

Martins had himself to blame. The delay in acceptance to play for for Nigeria had him without a record in the African scene.
I wonder why Ghanaians don't feel hated. After all, Asamoah Ghyan was listed as Ballon dor nominee while at Sunderland, yet he didn't win APOTY

Ha! How come he won Caf young player of the year the same season if he doesn't have a record in the African scene that year? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 4:30pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Oh! I see. Obafemi Martins played for middle team in 2004/2005 season hence the award eluded him.

But there was an Eto'o playing and making big impact for Barcelona atthis time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:31pm On Dec 20, 2017
elyte89:

Make anoda thesupernerd scenario no occur o grin

The Dude needs to be cautioned honestly. He's kinda too rude for my Liking. The Veterans know the Guy is damn Rude but choose to ignore instead of cautioning him.

Why?!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:31pm On Dec 20, 2017
Icon79:
Actually, the fans liked Kobe but the pundits despised him. They think he's arrogant and cocky, especially after the whole issues with Shaq. And it's the pundits and coaches who votes for MVPs. That's what cost Kobe .... big time.

O pari

KObe thinks he's not liked by pundits but the gospel truth is that the the numbers don't agree with him. Had a case in 2005 but Nash guiding a depleted Sun's team without Stoudemire to the Nba title was hard to ignore.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:32pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

Football doesnt revolve around Nigeria or Nigerian players. Monitor other players too.
oya, tell us about Aubameyang and Mane as well....Gabon also qualified for World Cup?

It is only Salah you keep defending, I don't even have issues with Salah....he earned the top 3, what was the impact of Aubameyang for Gabon? Or he made ot solely because of his club performance?

In which case, there is no consistency with the criteria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:34pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Ha! How come he won Caf young player of the year the same season if he doesn't have a record in the African scene that year? grin

Kelechi and so many others have won the CAF young player award without a single cap. It is the young player award after all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:37pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

did you ask Ghanaians how they feel about anything and they told you they were fine with everything?

You think they didn't complain the year Gyan was overlooked or Ayew didn't win the same award or are you just assuming they don't complain?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:37pm On Dec 20, 2017
safarigirl:
oya, tell us about Aubameyang and Mane as well....Gabon also qualified for World Cup?

It is only Salah you keep defending, I don't even have issues with Salah....he earned the top 3, what was the impact of Aubameyang for Gabon? Or he made ot solely because of his club performance?

He was the top scorer at the last nations cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 4:37pm On Dec 20, 2017
safarigirl:

Aubameyang was one of thw Top 30 footballers in the world in 2017 and one of the hottest strikers in the world in the year, no way such an African superstar with terrific performance in 2017 will not make the list of African Top 3. Africa will be a butt of joke having Moses in Africa's top 3 and not Auba.

Nigeria didnt even qualify for AFCON 2017.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:38pm On Dec 20, 2017
so na only Chelsea stat stand out to you, of all the stats there.

only you said, "Kelechi's stats will probably"

But what I laid out there is a reality.

safarigirl:
Kelechi's International Stats will probably look like that after 56 Caps.

19 games for Chelsea and 2 goals.... He must have been exceptionally useless for them back then.....makes you wonder what some of the Kelechi detractors must have said of him back then....the same ones praising him today must have laughed at him then and said how much of a waste of money he is. Papers would have called him a flop and Chelsea fans on Twitter must have called for his head

But Time changes all things, just like time changed the downward spiral of Moses' career and elevated Salah back to that Premier league he must have had nightmares of from his last experience

I wonder how many Egyptians tossed him aside back then.....

Goes to show, pesin wey good good, they may have hindrances and may not always show their class because of some circumstances, but doesn't mean they are gone forever.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:38pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

But there was an Eto'o playing and making big impact for Barcelona atthis time.

You mean Eto's impact in only La liga outshined Martin's impact in Seria A, Coppa Italia and UEFA Champions league? shocked

I see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:39pm On Dec 20, 2017
safarigirl:
did you ask Ghanaians how they feel about anything and they told you they were fine with everything?

You think they didn't complain the year Gyan was overlooked or Ayew didn't win the same award or are you just assuming they don't complain?

So Nigerians and Ghanaians are hated in equal measure across Africa. Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:45pm On Dec 20, 2017
Joebie:
so na only Chelsea stat stand out to you, of all the stats there.

only you said, "Kelechi's stats will probably"

But what I laid out there is a reality.

what stood out is that Salah had his own rough patch with Chelsea as well and Kelechi may be having that now.

So, is it fantasy that Salah had 2 goals in 19 games for an EPL team at some point in his career?

As far as I know, Kelechi had a very decent record with City, not like he has always been poor.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:45pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

Kelechi and so many others have won the CAF young player award without a single cap. It is the young player award after all.

Oga! Didn't you claim Obafemi Martins was not in the African scene as at 2004/2005 season and it was due to that single reason he missed the award?

And who told you Martins was not capped before the nominees were announcement that season?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 4:47pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

You mean Eto's impact in only La liga outshined Martin's impact in Seria A, Coppa Italia and UEFA Champions league? shocked

I see.

You see why I select people I argue with on NL.

This guy is comparing Martins of 2005 with Eto'o that was 3rd best player in the World in 2005!

Eto'o that made World 11, European 11, scored 25 league goals with a Martins that scored a paltry 11 Serie A goals!

This is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:48pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

Aubameyang was one of thw Top 30 footballers in the world in 2017 and one of the hottest strikers in the world in the year, no way such an African superstar with terrific performance in 2017 will not make the list of African Top 3. Africa will be a butt of joke having Moses in Africa's top 3 and not Auba.

Nigeria didnt even qualify for AFCON 2017.

butt of whose joke?

Oh, so there is someone who respects Africa somewhere?

What did Auba do to help Gabon?

So, you agree, there is no one criteria then? They just toss it around and slot in whoever they wish without a particular pattern?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:49pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

So Nigerians and Ghanaians are hated in equal measure across Africa. Lol
if that is how far you can reason, I'll leave you with it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:56pm On Dec 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Oga! Didn't you claim Obafemi Martins was not in the African scene as at 2004/2005 season and it was due to that single reason he missed the award?

And who told you Martins was not capped before the nominees where announcement that season?

List Martins record for Nigeria in 2003/2004 let's compare notes with Eto's who guided Cameroun to an Afcon title and Fifa confederations cup final. A tournament he was the top scorer.

If you dont list Martin's achievement for Nigeria in 2003\04 I wont take you serious henceforth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:59pm On Dec 20, 2017
safarigirl:
if that is how far you can reason, I'll leave you with it.

Better. Thank you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:05pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

You see why I select people I argue with on NL.

This guy is comparing Martins of 2005 with Eto'o that was 3rd best player in the World in 2005!

Eto'o that made World 11, European 11, scored 25 league goals with a Martins that scored a paltry 11 Serie A goals!

This is ridiculous.

Expect him to come back and question why Aiyegbeni didnt win APOTY while at Pompey. Thats his MO
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:05pm On Dec 20, 2017
Wow. I must confess that I wasn't expecting this brutal attack grin

Omo, have I offended you before? I am pretty sure that the answer is negative. So what have I done to deserve this unnecessary assault from you (FYI - this is not a rhetorical question).

Pray, do tell. And thank you very much in advance!

O pari

Oasis007:

Seem you think you are Mr. KIA (Know it all)?! Or the most exposed Moniker on this Thread?! I care not to ask after your Age, coz you do reasoning like a pampered Kid often.

O Pari!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 5:11pm On Dec 20, 2017
goldfish80:

Yaya Toure had a great season for Man city. His 10 goals from Midfield pushed Man city from a mid table team to the top 3. He crowned it all with an Fa cup whichhe basically handed over to city after 35yrs trophyless. . .

I dont know what youre trying to prove.

Its academic, if you want to be recognised in Africa, dont play for the likes of Wigan, Portsmouth or Westbrom. . . . Nobody will take you serious.

It is that simple
And why should all of these be enough to give you the APOTHY? lt's called APOTHY for fvck sake, l have same issues with Adebayo winning it in 2010 just for being a top scorer for Arsenal.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 5:13pm On Dec 20, 2017
safarigirl:
butt of whose joke?

Oh, so there is someone who respects Africa somewhere?

What did Auba do to help Gabon?

So, you agree, there is no one criteria then? They just toss it around and slot in whoever they wish without a particular pattern?

Hi performance in club was too overwhelming to be ignored.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 5:14pm On Dec 20, 2017
Jarus:

And Abumeyang why is he ahead of Moses too?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2407) (2408) (2409) (2410) (2411) (2412) (2413) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.