Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,192 members, 7,839,055 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (250) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11801573 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) ... (16209) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 11:22am On Nov 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

@bolded, Ndidi is generally a clean tackler.. It does not mean that he does commit fouls at all.

This is where am going to. every player doesn't not mean to commit fouls in the 18yard box or any dangerous area.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:23am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

experience cost Nigeria a spot in the quarterfinals of the 1994 world cup. it is not overrated
experience also cost us a spot in AFCON....if Siasia hadn't dropped Iwobi and Kelechi to play 'experience', maybe we would be preparing for Gabon 2017 by now.

It's overrated

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:24am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

experience cost Nigeria a spot in the quarterfinals of the 1994 world cup. it is not overrated

I do not understand this talk because an experienced Super Eagles player, Super Eagles caused us a spot in the Quarter finals in France '98. Ask Peter Rufai.

By the way, when we compare the Super Eagles in 1994, to the Italians, I will not use the term experience but the Italians were more drilled in the technical aspect of the game.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:26am On Nov 05, 2016
safarigirl:
experience also cost us a spot in AFCON....if Siasia hadn't dropped Iwobi and Kelechi to play 'experience', maybe we would be preparing for Gabon 2017 by now.

It's overrated

Kelechi played the first leg and he wasn't outstanding so he didn't really merit anybody there. and besides who replaced them? Aminu Umar isn't really an experienced replacement so they are all the same thing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:28am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

Kelechi played the first leg and he wasn't outstanding so he didn't really merit anybody there. and besides who replaced them? Aminu Umar isn't really an experienced replacement so they are all the same thing

Iheanacho was our most dangerous player in that game. The goal came from his shot if I remember well. Siasia opting to drop Iheanacho and Iwobi was a big mistake.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 11:28am On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Mickael2 is from the attacking possession philosophy school of thought and believes a defensive midfielder must contribute to the build-up play of the team. Onazi lacks behind Ndidi in that aspect and so I feel that is why Mickael2 rates Ndidi higher.

He could have said that way. but we are saying about coverage and blockage here. Experience, exposure and tested and trusted wise, Eddy beats him hands down.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:29am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

What happened to all the experienced forwards that Iwobi and Iheanacho are ahead of them in the Super Eagles. Experience is overrated. Play the best.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:31am On Nov 05, 2016
safarigirl:
experience, how?

You think he hasn't learnt enough on the sidelines from his club coaches and watching other goalies? How can he have experience on the bench?

You people need to break down this your experience talk, are you telling me a person who has been on the bench for a team in 13 games is more experienced than one who has played for same team in 5 games? Is the bench the latest point of experiejce? Cuz I was led to think actual playing time is what gives a person experience

yes, a person who has played five games is more experienced than a seasoned bench warmer but the problem is that Alampasu isn't a starter is he? he hasn't started five games so the bench warmer in this case is better than him by far. Akpeyi also has a number of games under his belt for the super eagles so there is your explanation.

experience isn't something you watch on tv, if it is then I have enough experience even more than a lot of professionals because I watch more matches than they do
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32am On Nov 05, 2016
lakesidepapa:

He could have said that way. but we are saying about coverage and blockage here. Experience, exposure and tested and trusted wise, Eddy beats him hands down.

Let us stick to coverage and blockage. Leave out experience, trusted, tested etc.

From general assessment and the way we play, I will not feel shocked if Rohr drops Onazi for Ndidi. Our build-up play is vital to our system and if we build-up better, we will not need that much blockage.

I agree with Mickael2 that we need to keep the ball better to cause the Algerians havoc. Ndidi takes it for me.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:34am On Nov 05, 2016
lakesidepapa:

Ndidi has more experience than Onazi, do you think that is easy to play in the Europa league, remove experience there. meanwhile go and check what I told, Onazi's average rating is 6.3 while that if Ndidi is 7.5,how can you even start comparing that at all??! not to mention that Onazi has scored only two goals all season long while Ndidi has scored that amount in the Europa league alone, go figure

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:35am On Nov 05, 2016
Liked I said before, if we drop the experience talk, the analysis run smoother because we opt for the best option.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:35am On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Let us stick to coverage and blockage. Leave out experience, trusted, tested etc.

From general assessment and the way we play, I will not feel shocked if Rohr drops Onazi for Ndidi. Our build-up play is vital to our system and if we build-up better, we will not need that much blockage.

I agree with Mickael2 that we need to keep the ball better to cause the Algerians havoc. Ndidi takes it for me.

Like I said, you understand my points a lot

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 11:36am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

there actually is a point for calling him even though you know he won't start and that point is EXPERIENCE and it is vital in the long run, I a not saying that he should start or not but just trying to explain it to you
Bros don't overrate experience,, there are some situation that your experience won't help you but individual brilliance... If that's the case petr chec won't have been sold to arsenal... All this keeper stuff self,, if you don't have a good defense, even the most experience goalie will concede stupid goals... Example De gea, courtois of last season and so on.. Our major concern should be the defence. Both keepers are good enough for a good team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:36am On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

What happened to all the experienced forwards that Iwobi and Iheanacho are ahead of them in the Super Eagles. Experience is overrated. Play the best.

but we all know the coach didn't invite the best for that match, that's different
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:37am On Nov 05, 2016
shogz89:
Bros don't overrate experience,, there are some situation that your experience won't help you but individual brilliance... If that's the case petr chec won't have been sold to arsenal... All this keeper stuff self,, if you don't have a good defense, even the most experience goalie will concede stupid goals... Example De gea, courtois of last season and so on.. Our major concern should be the defence.
Arsenal with Cech finished above Chelsea with Courtouis, never underestimate that factor called experience
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 11:38am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

read your comment again, you used that as a low point for Ndidi, am jus telling you that Onazi is worse in that aspect.

please, do yourself a favour go to whoscored.com or transfermarket.com and check their stats, their is absolutely no comparison there not to mention that Ndidi is playing for not just any low level team, but one of the top teams in the Belgian league while Onazi is playing for a low level team in Turkey AKA the retirement league. in fact if you make that comparison on whoscored.com they will tell you that it is ridiculous

I'm telling u if Eddy have his way to Genk, he will demote him to the bench. Did u watch the Nigeria game against france in 2014? Club doesn't count here and it doesn't play any role. We are talking about quality player. Ndidi is good, not doubt about that, he should come to a very competitive and better league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:38am On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho was our most dangerous player in that game. The goal came from his shot if I remember well. Siasia opting to drop Iheanacho and Iwobi was a big mistake.
my point is that he didn't replace them with experienced players either that is entirely different from this our case now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

but we all know the coach didn't invite the best for that match, that's different

That is why we should work towards having the best in every position.

At the moment, Iheanacho and Iwobi are among our best.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:39am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

Kelechi wasn't outstanding in the first leg, is it not his rebound that got you your lone goal? Where were all your experienced players when he was hustling his behind for a goal? .3 Sometimes y'all will just switch your narrative to suit your argument

Thank God you didn't try to justify Iwobi's exclusion.

Experience cost us our AFCON place

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 11:40am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

Arsenal with Cech finished above Chelsea with Courtouis, never underestimate that factor called experience
so the difference was the keeper? Courtois faced chec in the champions league and chec was on the receiving end how about that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:42am On Nov 05, 2016
lakesidepapa:

I'm telling u if Eddy have his way to Genk, he will demote him to the bench. Did u watch the Nigeria game against france in 2014? Club doesn't count here and it doesn't play any role. We are talking about quality player. Ndidi is good, not doubt about that, he should come to a very competitive and better league.

How will he come to Genk? will he fly there? If you play good football then you will be signed. if he is good, why did Lazio ship him out? What exactly are you saying? are you comparing the Belgian league with the Turkish league? how will Onazi have his way to Genk? as in if he finds himself in the training ground? but he is.not even good enough to get there. Also if you watched France vs Ecuador in that same works cup, there DMF did a similar job, not to undermine Onazi's achievements but the present Ndidi would have done Vetter and I can almost certainly swear that you haven't watched Ndidi's matches before
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:42am On Nov 05, 2016
lakesidepapa:

Onazi is a beast when you look at the distance he covers, the high intensity he plays with and the astonishing number of tackles he makes.

But, if we look at it from the Super Eagles being a unit in building repeated attacking plays, Onazi reduces that coherency.

Ndidi can also Marshall the midfield defensively although I doubt he can do it like Onazi but he helps in build-up plays. Remember his combinations with Raheem Lawal in the friendly. Onazi can not make such contributions.

With Mikel, Iwobi, Iheanacho in the team, Ndidi will make a smooth addition to the passing pack.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 11:44am On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

Ndidi has more experience than Onazi, do you think that is easy to play in the Europa league, remove experience there. meanwhile go and check what I told, Onazi's average rating is 6.3 while that if Ndidi is 7.5,how can you even start comparing that at all??! not to mention that Onazi has scored only two goals all season long while Ndidi has scored that amount in the Europa league alone, go figure

See lemme tell u something, I don't believe in all these stats. Those statisticians that bring these up don't put in some considerations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:45am On Nov 05, 2016
safarigirl:
Kelechi wasn't outstanding in the first leg, is it not his rebound that got you your lone goal? Where were all your experienced players when he was hustling his behind for a goal? .3 Sometimes y'all will just switch your narrative to suit your argument

Thank God you didn't try to justify Iwobi's exclusion.

Experience cost us our AFCON place

scoring a goal does not make you outstanding. a player can score a hat trick and still have a poor game.
anyways that ship has sailed, like I said he didn't replace them with experienced players either so I don't get your point
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:47am On Nov 05, 2016
lakesidepapa:

See lemme tell u something, I don't believe in all these stats. Those statisticians that bring these up don't put in some considerations.

lol. oh conversation ends here. you don't believe in stats? ok so you think scoring two goals in two games against Athletico bilbao is easy? Ronaldo couldn't even manage one. Onazi actually scored his two goals in a single game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:47am On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Onazi is a beast when you look at the distance he covers, the high intensity he plays with and the astonishing number of tackles he makes.

But, if we look at it from the Super Eagles being a unit in building repeated attacking plays, Onazi reduces that coherency.

Ndidi can also Marshall the midfield defensively although I doubt he can do it like Onazi but he helps in build-up plays. Remember his combinations with Raheem Lawal in the friendly. Onazi can not make such contributions.

With Mikel, Iwobi, Iheanacho in the team, Ndidi will make a smooth addition to the passing pack.

this is why I like you bro

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 11:55am On Nov 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Coaches have different philosophy and style, If a coach that plays heavy attacking possessing have Ndidi and Eddy in his team and feel Ndidi is fitter and can contribute more into his system, Fine but in general that doesn't say Ndidi is better than Eddy as a blocking four.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:59am On Nov 05, 2016
shogz89:
so the difference was the keeper? Courtois faced chec in the champions league and chec was on the receiving end how about that?

experience isn't the ultimate but it is important. That has been my point all along
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:59am On Nov 05, 2016
goldfish80:
I thought you were talking up Portuguese 3rd tier.
No i just said he plays there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2016
I also prefer Ndidi to Onazi based on Current Super Eagles style. Ndidi is far better ball passer and distributor than Onazi.

People will easily point to Onazi's work-rate and "EXPERIENCE" but again Ndidi is super talented and covers good grounds too in midfield because of his excellent positional discipline in the DMF role.

He's arguably the best DMF in Belgium now. Certainly, the best young midfielder in Belgium maybe only rivalled by Youri Tielemans.

BUT MY ANNOYANCE BE SAY... AFTER ALL THIS TALK, WE KNOW WETIN GO HAPPEN..... grin

We know the drill... ONAZI WILL START... AND WE KNOW WHY.

This is why I no wan waste strength for arguments.

BUT ONE THING IS SURE. NDIDI IS THE FUTURE OF OUR DMF ROLE AND HE WON'T HAVE IT SO EASY EITHER AS THE LIKES OF CHIDI NWAKALI AND AZUBUIKE OKECHUKWU ARE RISING ALSO.... BUT NDIDI IS ALREADY AHEAD OF THEM RIGHT NOW.

We hope for the best in Uyo.

TheGoodJoe:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:03pm On Nov 05, 2016
Finally!!!! Someone who speaks "English" smiley

Mickael2:

experience isn't the ultimate but it is important. That has been my point all along

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:04pm On Nov 05, 2016
Mickael2:

scoring a goal does not make you outstanding. a player can score a hat trick and still have a poor game.
anyways that ship has sailed, like I said he didn't replace them with experienced players either so I don't get your point
He didn't score, he created lots of chances that your experienced players couldn't capitalise on.

Saying he wasn't outstanding? What a joke! He was one of very few outstanding players for us in that game, I can't even count how many shots on target he took, even the commentators had to shout....once again, changing the narrative to suit your argument

Abeg go and watch that game again, Kelechi had a poor game indeed

(1) (2) (3) ... (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) ... (16209) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kingphilip(m), comodo, elyte89 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.