Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,712 members, 7,851,421 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:58 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2955) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11872167 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2952) (2953) (2954) (2955) (2956) (2957) (2958) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:04am On Mar 06, 2018
somehow:

The same league won CCL back to back

Some of its clubs got to quarter finals of CCL and semi finals in recent times.

Some of the players go to foreign clubs to become stars there.

You can bereat the league whichever way you like but it won't add or improve it a dime. If you so much hate what is going on in the league, why not step in to correct it?

Shehu Diko and Irabor didn't sit somewhere far away berating the league, they came and contributed their quota, they don't have 2 heads, you can also come and change the league to eldorado overnight.
We are waiting.

Bro when did the league win back to back CCL..u mean back in the enyimba days when pure talents where in the league even thou there weren't refined yet, they were still talent..when Kanu played, he was a talent but not refined yet..

All I'm saying is the league is not as tough as u think, there is a lot of underlying problems in the league such as player welfare, organisation, salary issues, proper coaching..its just too much..

Even if any player scores 25goals in the league, I won't take them serious until they repeat it in a more serious league..a player that scored 10goals in the npfl could have more talent and potential than some scoring 20goals..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:13am On Mar 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

Stephen Odey is struggling to get goals in Switzerland.

Do not read too much into scoring in that league.

Oga odey is not struggling to get goals,get your fact right before you conclude,odey is mostly on the bench,he has played 6 games and scored 2 goals in just 244 minutes,how is that a struggle for someone who is mostly a sub? Maybe you expect him to score 6 goals in the 6 league games,haba bros cool down okay no dey do like that,say the guy na Ronaldo ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:40am On Mar 06, 2018
andrew444:

Oga odey is not struggling to get goals,get your fact right before you conclude,odey is mostly on the bench,he has played 6 games and scored 2 goals in just 244 minutes,how is that a struggle for someone who is mostly a sub? Maybe you expect him to score 6 goals in the 6 league games,haba bros cool down okay no dey do like that,say the guy na Ronaldo ?

Odey has 3 goals in 12 games in league and cup but you are right, he has not had that many minutes.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:29am On Mar 06, 2018
Many played in the early 90s in the league and the one I am talking about happened in the 2000s, imagine bringing in the era of kanu to talk about the league means you know Nada about the league you're berating.

BTW, are you trying to blame the league for the set of players we have and not because our players now prefer just the money than becoming a better player?

How much were the players earning in the 2000s that made them good compared to now? Are you saying the league organisation and infrastructures were good then than now?

In the time of kanu you raised, how many players scored 25 goals in the league? In the era of Enyimba, Kano pillars, heartland etc, how much were they earning, how many scored goals you want the present ones to score?

You take them serious or not won't stop the league nor the players from continuing.

Like I said, if you can't support the league or come in to make the league better, then your criticism is useless to the growth of the league.
bengine:

Bro when did the league win back to back CCL..u mean back in the enyimba days when pure talents where in the league even thou there weren't refined yet, they were still talent..when Kanu played, he was a talent but not refined yet..

All I'm saying is the league is not as tough as u think, there is a lot of underlying problems in the league such as player welfare, organisation, salary issues, proper coaching..its just too much..

Even if any player scores 25goals in the league, I won't take them serious until they repeat it in a more serious league..a player that scored 10goals in the npfl could have more talent and potential than some scoring 20goals..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:31am On Mar 06, 2018
So you were actually criticizing the guy unfairly?
tbaba1234:

Odey has 3 goals in 12 games in league and cup but you are right, he has not had that many minutes.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:44am On Mar 06, 2018
somehow:
So you were actually criticizing the guy unfairly?

I am giving him the benefit.. He has not exactly set the league on fire but maybe with time and opportunity. Struggling to get minutes in Switzerland is not good for a striker that was so hyped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:16am On Mar 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

In other words, he's been of low quality to the pack
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:24am On Mar 06, 2018
somehow:
Until you see Echiejile in Russia grin grin grin
That will be a disaster
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:29am On Mar 06, 2018
gamaliel9:
We have so many young players.. Post world cup will be hot. Watch out for Etebo today vs Celta Vigo. We ask Heaven to give us a good coach...or Rohr continues to do well..when i look back at all junk Keshi took to the world cup. I shudder.
My brother you've just hit the head on the nail.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:34am On Mar 06, 2018
Oasis007:

That's actually not the Problem, but the Stats I highlighted coz it seems confusing. Out of 16 Games, he kept 10 Clean Sheets but conceded 11 Times in how many Games...... 6 Games?!
Pheeww!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:34am On Mar 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

Okay bros,are you sure its up to 12 games? but the guy is not that bad nah,he was bought to replace a ghanian,raphael dawmena or so but the guy ended up not leaving the club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:38am On Mar 06, 2018
andrew444:

Okay bros,are you sure its up to 12 games? but the guy is not that bad nah,he was bought to replace a ghanian,raphael dawmena or so but the guy ended up not leaving the club

Odey is not a bad player but he was overhyped. He is still young so he has time to improve and get to a high level.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:47am On Mar 06, 2018
Just listened to a recent interview with Rohr

1. The team is getting another goalkeeping coach.
2. Enrico Pionetti spent 10 days with Uzoho and sent in a good report.
3. He is looking at several goalkeeping possibilities (but acknowledges that options are not that many).
4. Carl Ikeme, time too short to return
5. He invited Enyeama in the beginning but he refused to come because he had a problem with the NFF.
6. Enyeama inability to get a club makes it very difficult for him to make the WC.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:51am On Mar 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

Odey is not a bad player but he was overhyped. He is still young so he has time to improve and get to a high level.

Lol,overhyped
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:18am On Mar 06, 2018
He wasn't hyped, he scored those goals by merit. Nothing like hyping here.

Scoring 3 goals in 12 matches from the bench can't be from someone being hyped.

If Switzerland is not good for him, where should be good? You don't expect an NPFL player to go into any first team club in the major leagues out there because our league hasn't reached that stage but that doesn't mean these players won't perform more than the locals anywhere they see themselves.
tbaba1234:

I am giving him the benefit.. He has not exactly set the league on fire but maybe with time and opportunity. Struggling to get minutes in Switzerland is not good for a striker that was so hyped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:30am On Mar 06, 2018
somehow:
He wasn't hyped, he scored those goals by merit. Nothing like hyping here.

Scoring 3 goals in 12 matches from the bench can't be from someone being hyped.

If Switzerland is not good for him, where should be good? You don't expect an NPFL player to go into any first team club in the major leagues out there because our league hasn't reached that stage but that doesn't mean these players won't perform more than the locals anywhere they see themselves.

It is as if you do not understand me.

Odey scored several goals in the league. As a result, pressure was mounted on Rohr to invite him to the national team. That is where the hype comes from, not the number of goals he scored.

At some point, we have to wait and see if players push on and whether they can perform at higher levels.

Switzerland is good for his development but he is no where near national team level now.

We need to stop putting too much stock/value on who is scoring so much in the NPFL, it does not mean that much because the league is poor. Okpotu was top scorer in the league.

The real test is when the players go to higher levels and can prove themselves. That is when we will know who is really quality.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by profosa: 8:35am On Mar 06, 2018
As a tax consultant and member of this forum,please note say THIS VAIDS issue serious oo.FIRS have in there custody everybody bank statements,almost all states land registry and dem they exchange information with more than 50 countries esp EU and US.make we make use. Of VAIDS before him end by 31st this month.na serious issue ooo.I dem to answer any question.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:48am On Mar 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

Odey scored several goals in the league. As a result, pressure was mounted on Rohr to invite him to the national team. That is where the hype comes from, not the number of goals he scored.

At some point, we have to wait and see if players push on and whether they can perform at higher levels.

Switzerland is good for his development but he is no where near national team level now.

We need to stop putting too much stock/value on who is scoring so much in the NPFL, it does not mean that much because the league is poor. Okpotu was top scorer in the league.

The real test is when the players go to higher levels and can prove themselves. That is when we will know who is really quality.

Bros anybody wey say Odey na national team level deserved to be flogged.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:19am On Mar 06, 2018
Well when they asked for his inclusion, the coach didn't oblige (Not like we even have any free scoring strikers anywhere in the world self including the so called foreign based). People can only recommend or ask, the coach decides who he wants.

I don't even see any HB going to the WC in the first place.

As for Junior Lakossa, the article only voiced out the opinion of the writer, not a command nor is it binding on the coach. We surely know no current HB player (striker) can make the team to Russia but to rubbish the players even when they do well at their various home clubs is what I can't stand. If their goals for their various clubs won't count, what then should count for them? Should they be scoring goals in England or Spain while playing in Nigeria?
tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:21am On Mar 06, 2018
If the coach needs his services, he'd be in Russia and I see no disaster in that. Rohr decides who he wants for Russia.
MetalJigsaw:
That will be a disaster
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:55am On Mar 06, 2018
andrew444:

Bros anybody wey say Odey na national team level deserved to be flogged.
......deserved to be flogged?but if it's player like Victor Osimhen who has not score a goal and always on the bench in Bundesliga this season,we tell another story.

But NPFL Odey who is having just a season is receiving bashing just cos he left Nigeria from local league.

I know if Odey left as academy player it would be is learning,excuse they give for player like Osimhen.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:57am On Mar 06, 2018
Kog45:
......deserved to be flogged?but if it's player like Victor Osimhen who has not score a goal and always on the bench in Bundesliga this season,we tell another story.

But NPFL Odey who is having just a season is receiving bashing just cos he left Nigeria from local league.

I know if Odey left as academy player it would be is learning,excuse they give for player like Osimhen.

Same thing for osimhen,only people who knows nothing about football will say osimhen should be taken to the world cup.osimhen deserve no place in the super eagles even dat oyinbo guy saren bazee,some people here is saying that guy should be considered? a guy that was injured since,even before his injure the guy is a bench warmer like osimhen,11 games and 1 goal for hannover in germany or so

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:09am On Mar 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

Boss you are too harsh on Odey and jus cos he was ex NPFL player,nothing more.

I.know you will not say the samething on player like Osimhen.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:12am On Mar 06, 2018
andrew444:

Same thing for osimhen,only people who knows nothing about football will say osimhen should be taken to the world cup.osimhen deserve no place in the super eagles even dat oyinbo guy saren bazee,some people here is saying that guy should be considered? a guy that was injured since,even before his injure the guy is a bench warmer like osimhen,11 games and 1 goal for hannover in germany or so
Thank you for this comment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2018
somehow:
If the coach needs his services, he'd be in Russia and I see no disaster in that. Rohr decides who he wants for Russia.
Yes you are right Rohr decides who he wants but wrong decision could be disastrous,so better for him to pick player on merit cos hearing that he is considering keeper like Osigwe baffled me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 10:36am On Mar 06, 2018
Kog45:
Yes you are right Rohr decides who he wants but wrong decision could be disastrous,so better for him to pick player on merit cos hearing that he is considering keeper like Osigwe baffled me.
not too sure why this should be baffling since we know we have a crises in gk department

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:39am On Mar 06, 2018
somehow:
What are you saying.? is it about what the coach wants or what the team needs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:45am On Mar 06, 2018
asha80:
not too sure why this should be baffling since we know we have a crises in gk department
He is not better than what we have and he can't be the solution.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:52am On Mar 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
What are you saying.? is it about what the coach wants or what the team needs.
I think coach wants what the team needs but not on sentiments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:28am On Mar 06, 2018
Rohr Returns, Set For Unveiling Of Eagles List For Poland, Serbia

Super Eagles Coach, Gernot Rohr is expected back in in Nigeria ahead of the Coca Cola World Cup trophy tour holding in Lagos on Saturday, and ahead of the much anticipated unveiling of his squad list for the upcoming international friendlies, Completesportsnigeria.com (CSN) reports.

According to the Super Eagles Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye, the Franco-German Coach is expected to arrive in Nigeria before Thursday for the event. The has been in Europe visiting Nigeria players at their various clubs.

Ibitoye also informs that the Super Eagles Coach will use the opportunity of the Coca Cola event to unveil the list players that have been invited for the two international friendly games against Poland and Serbia later this month.

“Rohr is coming back to Nigeria before Thursday because he has been invited for the Coca Cola World Cup tour and he is going to use the opportunity to unveil his list for the two international friendly matches against Poland and Serbia this month,” Ibitoye tells CSN.

It was gathered that the trophy which will be in Nigeria for four days, will spend two days in Abuja (Wednesday and Thursday) and two days in Lagos(Friday and Saturday).

Nigeria will play Poland in Warsaw on March 23 and also face Serbia on March 27 in London as part of preparations towards the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rohr-returns-set-unveiling-eagles-list-poland-serbia-friendlies/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:30am On Mar 06, 2018
Just reading this. How good is the lad?
Kog45:

(1) (2) (3) ... (2952) (2953) (2954) (2955) (2956) (2957) (2958) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kennysville(m), joelsteron, etebefia and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.