Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (299) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11636450 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2016
I saw something like TheGoodJoeli some pages back.
Abi I no de see well again
Cc:TheGoodJoe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2016
Only few can grab the "hints of truth" here even from Mikel himself... "Read between the lines"... wink

I Love this... smiley
Mikel: I wouldn’t swap Olympic Gold with
Nigeria for place in Conte’s Chelsea

Posted on November 13, 2016

John Obi Mikel admits he is disappointed at
his lack of opportunities at Chelsea – but he
wouldn’t swap that with his Olympic success with Nigeria.

The midfielder is yet to play for his club this
campaign, as Antonio Conte works hard to
improve last season’s tenth place finish in the
Premier League.

Gernot Rohr has suggested that his captain’s lack of domestic first-team action is down to his
decision to represent the Super Eagles in the Rio
Olympics this summer.

Mikel told the Sun: “I have never been a guy who makes excuses in life and never shy away from responsibilities.

“Yes, maybe people will say the new manager was upset I left and went to the Olympics, that I didn’t have a pre-season with the team. He probably thinks I don’t care about the team, things like that.”

Mikel was talking to the press after scoring for
Nigeria in their 3-1 win over Algeria in their World Cup qualifier on Saturday, but he didn’t’ discuss the rumours that he will leave the London club in January.

He added: “But I don’t want to use those
excuses. I have to keep training hard and make sure I change the manager’s mind. If not, then we’ll see what happens in January.

“But, no, I would never swap my Olympic medal for a place back in the Chelsea team. One thing you have to do in life as a man is that when you make a decision, or a sacrifice, you have to deal with it.

“You have to stand by your decision. You have to live with it. I have not one single regret in going to the Olympics. And I will not trade my medal for anything.”

The 29-year-old is the Blues’ longest serving
player after captain and former England
international John Terry.

Despite that he has found himself out of favour in regards to Conte’s 3-4-3 formation as Nemanja Matic and new signing N’Golo Kante fill the central midfield berths.

Chelsea have adapted quickly to Conte’s requests and currently sit third in the table behind Liverpool and Manchester City, with Eden Hazard looking like the player that won the Player of the Year award in 2015.

Source: http://www.squawka.com/news/mikel-i-wouldnt-swap-olympic-gold-with-nigeria-for-place-in-contes-chelsea/825297

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jefersoun: 10:57pm On Nov 13, 2016
I get both side of the divide concerning Kelechi's performance. Ok, A -side wasn't satisfied with is performance, they want to see him perform just as he did for the U17. The B-side was satisfied with his performance because, the match went according to plan. He was able to attract some players to him, there by giving other of our players room to do the damage. But I belief we would all agree that we want to see him score and mesmerize his opponent, for him to be rated as one of the world best and be able to win awards. We know the Algerian defence are strong, but he is going to face a stronger defence in the league and world cup, so it would be good for us if he can improve. Going forward, if we are going to keep using him as our top 9, then he has to be more physical and imposing on his opponent. But sometimes the style of play the team adopts can determine how much he gets the ball.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 10:59pm On Nov 13, 2016
mikron:
i just dey look una in 3D. optional1 abeg tell my friend when exactly u dey come make we send rolls royce phantom come pick u biko wink wink

Thanks buddy grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 11:05pm On Nov 13, 2016
klexycole:

Thanks buddy grin cheesy
u welcome
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:09pm On Nov 13, 2016
Nacho is under the same man who moulded messi as a false 9. Like Messi, Nacho's finishing is world class. #fact

Nacho is hybrid talent... A no.10/no.9 super hybrid... A no.10 with the instincts of a no.9.

I feel Pep already knows of Nacho's creativity and inventive qualities as seen when pep introduced Nacho in the southampton game which ended 1-1. Pep saw how Nacho transformed the City attack... His entrance brought life... Pep saw that...

So I argue that Nacho in the long run is best utilised as an AMF/SS coz I want to see his allround qualities expressed there but again I have to admit that under Pep as a false 9, Nacho's inventiveness and creativity will still strive coz Pep needs his forwards to be highly intelligent and creative and have the ability to be involved in build-up plays.

If Nacho continues on this developmental path under Pep Guardiola at City, He CANNOT AND WILL NOT AND CAN NEVER END UP AS A FOX-IN-THE-BOX-ONLY-KINDA STRIKER....

I know this for a fact. Pep's forwards are never one-dimensional in approach.

Note: Kevin de "Brains" (I love him so much hence I call him that) even played the false 9 against Barca and didnt put up a good show.

goldfish80:

To be quite honest, I've seen you tell TheGoodJoe that Iheanacho's best position is behind a striker as a SS.
If you've watched Iheanacho closely at City, you will notice he sparsely participates in the build up play. Whenever he does, you can see he creates danger.
I don't think anyone is arguing if Iheanacho talented, we are just saying that going by this stage of his development, he is being utilised wrongly by city,obviously because he scores goals at the moment.
The long term effect this will have on his general play would be to cut his creative spark and become "A FOX IN THE BOX"

I will prefer to see Kevin de bryne as a false 9 while Iheanacho takes up his proper role behind him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 11:14pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:
I think I should raise this point about FIFA and Caf goofing with the seedings of various teams km this world cup qualifiers across Europe and Africa.

First of all, Cape Verde were seeded in port 1 as a result of their fifa ranking which they ranked as first in Africa at the point of seeding.
Somehow Cape Verde gamed the system and somehow they found themselves in the lofty position as the first in Africa.
What Cape Verde have achieved over the past few year to warrant this seeding is what I don't understand.

As a result of this, more traditional African power houses found themselves in same group struggling to get the sole ticket.
One of Nigeria/Algeria will miss out on the world cup.
Either of Ghana/Egypt won't be in South Africa.

Two games down the road, these Cape verdians are rock bottom in their group with zero point.

In Europe, the story is the same with Wales and Romania seeded in Port 1.while traditional teams like France and Italy were in port 2

So many teams will miss this world cup, not because they aren't good enough but because the seedings by FIFA was crap and senseless.
explain that sentence pls. what would they go to do in south Africa?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 11:21pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Why Ighalo & Ideye Didn’t Play Against
Algeria – Gernot Rohr Explains

Coach of the Nigeria team Gernot Rohr has
revealed why regular forwards Odion Ighalo and
Brown Ideye didn’t play in yesterday’s World Cup 2018 qualifiers which Nigeria won 3-1 against Algeria.

Ighalo led the line in the manager’s first game in charge while Ideye did same in Ighalo’s absence against Zambia, but the duo were left on the bench as Rohr opt to play Kelechi Iheanacho upfront.

”We have to approach games with different
tactics and players. Iheanacho fits the way we
wanted to play against Algeria, same way Ighalo
and Ideye in our previous games” He told
Owngoalnigeria.com.

”You also know that at a point in time all we
needed to do was to manage the game as we not too comfortable at 2-1, with Algeria pushing to level and leaving space behind. Ahmed Musa was most needed at the time, and he proved us right judging by his performance.

”We had no need for either Ideye or Ighalo due
to how the game went, but they are key players
in the team. They are very talented and much
needed”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/13/why-ighalo-ideye-didnt-play-against-algeria-gernot-rohr-explains/
that is a tactical coach talking, most of our coaches na kick and follow, they lack this aspect of the game. TACTICS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 11:39pm On Nov 13, 2016
terzurum5:
I saw something like TheGoodJoeli some pages back.
Abi I no de see well again
Cc:TheGoodJoe
no thanks to these anti-spam bots here, when they ban u for days ur brain go do automatic reset grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:23am On Nov 14, 2016
goldfish80:

LOL lol lol... Analysis is not simple my guy. If it were simple clubs won't pay millions of dollars to buy data analysis companies. Technical advisers and federations would not pay top dollar to engage the services of video and data analysts.
I've noticed you don't exactly watch the tactical part of football. I remember one time you jumped in an argument where you supported TheGoodJoe that Eduardo Vargas is Chile's main striker and Alexis Sanchez was the winger. When push came to shove, you couldn't prove Sanchez played in the wings while Vargas lead the line ... Lol lol lol
We played a double pivot last night with Etebo and Onazi as the duo in the 4-2-3-1 formation while Mikel played as the box to box midfielder.
Just take it that you leant something from me grin
Mikel was a AM, not a box to box midfielder. He played the position Ozil plays for arsenal. In a 4-2-3-1, one of the 2 pivots in front of the defence bombs foward, while the other holds. Etebo was license to bomb forward while Onazi holds.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:47am On Nov 14, 2016
edi287:

Mikel was a AM, not a box to box midfielder. He played the position Ozil plays for arsenal. In a 4-2-3-1, one of the 2 pivots in front of the defence bombs foward, while the other holds. Etebo was license to bomb forward while Onazi holds.

I called Mikel box to box because that was exactly the interpretation of his role last night. You can see Mikel deep in his defensive 3rd helping out the defence whole also going far into the defensive 3rd of the Algerians. That's the definition of as box to box midfielder. Ozil plays strictly as AMF.

Etebo was a DM in the double pivot with Onazi. He played more like a deep-lying playmaker.
The assist he gave was just fortuitous because he hardly found himself in an advanced role.

He spent most of his time with Onazi until Ndidi came in and freed him up.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:50am On Nov 14, 2016
edi287:

When Mikel left, Ndidi and Onazi played the DM role while Etebo played the box to box.
That's Etebo marked with an arrow while Onazi and Ndidi were connected with a circle.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:51am On Nov 14, 2016
mikron:
explain that sentence pls. what would they go to do in south Africa?
Auto correct screwed me. I meant to write Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:57am On Nov 14, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Nacho is under the same man who moulded messi as a false 9. Like Messi, Nacho's finishing is world class. #fact

Nacho is hybrid talent... A no.10/no.9 super hybrid... A no.10 with the instincts of a no.9.

I feel Pep already knows of Nacho's creativity and inventive qualities as seen when pep introduced Nacho in the southampton game which ended 1-1. Pep saw how Nacho transformed the City attack... His entrance brought life... Pep saw that...

So I argue that Nacho in the long run is best utilised as an AMF/SS coz I want to see his allround qualities expressed there but again I have to admit that under Pep as a false 9, Nacho's inventiveness and creativity will still strive coz Pep needs his forwards to be highly intelligent and creative and have the ability to be involved in build-up plays.

If Nacho continues on this developmental path under Pep Guardiola at City, He CANNOT AND WILL NOT AND CAN NEVER END UP AS A FOX-IN-THE-BOX-ONLY-KINDA STRIKER....

I know this for a fact. Pep's forwards are never one-dimensional in approach.

Note: Kevin de "Brains" (I love him so much hence I call him that) even played the false 9 against Barca and didnt put up a good show.

Iheanacho stagnating or turning into a fox in the will not be a new thing. Even stranger things have happened in football.
The same Guardiola tried to turn Mario Gotze who was the golden boy of the new generation of German football. A supremely talented AMF into a false 9. Gotze stagnated so bad that we Dortmond fans can't recognise him.

The same Guardiola turned Javi Martinez, a supremely talented world class DM who Bayern paid £40m for into an unrecognisable and very bad CB.

If Man city turns Iheanacho into a fox in the box, please don't be so surprised. Just giving you a heads up.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 12:57am On Nov 14, 2016
goldfish80:

Auto correct screwed me. I meant to write Russia.
ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:17am On Nov 14, 2016
Thanks for the heads up but IT WONT HAPPEN. smiley

goldfish80:

Iheanacho stagnating or turning into a fox in the will not be a new way development. Even stranger things have happened in football.
The same Guardiola tried to turn Mario Gotze who was the golden boy of the new generation of German football. A supremely talented AMF into a false 9. Gotze stagnated so bad that we Dortmond fans can't recognise him.

The same Guardiola turned Javi Martinez, a supremely talented world class DM who Bayern paid £40m for into an unrecognisable and very bad CB.

If Man city turns Iheanacho into a fox in the box, please don't be so surprised. Just giving you a heads up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:46am On Nov 14, 2016
Goal's 5-things-we-learnt.... Well, was expecting much more "specific" stuffs but it's still okay shaa.....

NIGERIA VS. ALGERIA: FIVE THINGS WE
LEARNED

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/53/42/gernot-rohr-training_10n7ekjgxnz9s1eykwfjk48b4v.jpg?t=-585336730&w=480[/img]

1. The ship is steady under Rohr:

There hasn’t been any form of stability in the senior team since the African Cup of Nations triumph of 2013, with coaching instability breeding a sense of uncertainty.

However, under the watch of Gernot Rohr, the Super Eagles are playing more as a unit, with motivation and determination to succeed.
Whatever magic the German tactician has worked, he’s transformed the team and has finally got Nigeria believing again.

2. The team bond is growing ever stronger:

Football is supposed to be a team sport, but many at times, the players try to make it an individual affair which often doesn’t bring the desired result.

Such has been the case with the Super Eagles in the past, where going for personal glory was more important than the team. However with Rohr on the touchline, there’s a better bond among players, and the result is more confidence and the fans loving our football.

3. Moses is the man of the moment:

Victor Moses started the new season with uncertainty over his future at Chelsea and his Super Eagles status was also put into question having played below par in recent times.
However, a reversal of fortunes under Antonio Conte meant fans are seeing the best of the 25-year-old. Those fortunes have overflowed into the national team, and his dominant display against the Desert Foxes means there is more than enough to be happy about regarding the direction he is going.

4. The defence needs to be better:

It has become a regular occurrence to see the Super Eagles backline falter when the team is in a leading position. This allows the opposition to gain momentum and that’s what happened against Algeria. The defenders could not contain the pace of the North Africans when they threatened.
There is need for the defence to remain focused
at all times in future games otherwise a
comfortable lead could slip out of our hands.

5. Ikeme is the undisputed number one:

When it was announced that Carl Ikeme was withdrawn from the squad due to injury with Daniel Akpeyi coming in as his replacement and starting ahead of Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Dele Alampasu, there was pessimism about the Chippa United goalie’s chances of filling in for his compatriot. He looked very shaky all evening, lacking focus and composure, and even though Nabil Bentaleb’s goal was not his fault, Akpeyi doesn’t have the kind of authority that Ikeme does between the sticks.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-za/news/4622/africa/2016/11/13/29473832/nigeria-vs-algeria-five-things-we-learned
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:04am On Nov 14, 2016
S’Eagles Coach, Rohr Demands more from
Players

While many Nigerians are still celebrating the
Super Eagles’ win over North African foe, Algeria
last Saturday in Uyo in a crucial World Cup group B qualifying match, Nigeria’s Head Coach, Gernot Rohr has declared that the celebrations should be put on hold as there are still more matches to play in the qualifying race.

The Franco-German spoke at the post match
press conference, after his charges dismantled
Algeria’s Fennecs 3-1 at the Godswill Akpabio
International Stadium, Uyo.

In the same pragmatic manner he reacted after
the win over Zambia in Ndola last month, Rohr
said: “We played a good match and got three
points, but I want to say that there are more
matches to play and we have to keep our focus.”

Unlike in the previous qualifying round of
matches, Nigeria look solid at the top of group B
with six points, with second –placed Cameroun,
which Nigeria next play in August 2017, four
points behind.

“We have a friendly against Egypt in Dubai in
January, which will enable me to look at the home–based players, but I will continue to monitor the Europe –based players and we will see how we get matches for them on FIFA free dates.”

The win earned Rohr, who was signed on by
Nigeria August this year, three wins out of three
matches.

“I praise the players for their spirit, for their
dedication and for their discipline. They all did
very well and I am happy at their output.”

Also yesterday the President of Nigeria Football
Federation (NFF) President Amaju Pinnick
celebrated three precious points but insisted that the Eagles will continue to take the 2018 World Cup qualifying race one match at a time.

“This victory is very, very sweet. But as I said
after the match in Zambia, this is a marathon. We have now won two matches out of six, and as a result of the draw between Cameroun and
Zambia, we are looking very good on top.

“The best approach is to keep focus, to know that we are not there yet but that we surely will be there by putting more effort in each of our next four matches.”

The Super Eagles next play Cameroun home and away within a week in the third quarter of next year, and Pinnick insists those two games will be tough.

“Cameroun have drawn their first two matches of the series and will play us hard in both legs, but we have to play them even harder.”

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/11/14/seagles-coach-rohr-demands-more-from-players/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:29am On Nov 14, 2016
The January friendly against Egypt is for mainly home based players. I hope only young players are chosen. I believe that if a player has spent 3 seasons in the Nigerian league without leaving then the player is probably not that good. The best players do not stay too long.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:33am On Nov 14, 2016
I agree with you tbaba1234.

But i would modify it by putting an age ceiling of 25yrs.

U know some players can be late starters. Sunday Mba, Godfrey Obaobona, Ejike Uzoenyi and Reuben Gabriel all come to mind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by optional1(f): 8:34am On Nov 14, 2016
mikron:
i just dey look una in 3D. optional1 abeg tell my friend when exactly u dey come make we send rolls royce phantom come pick u biko wink wink

lol grin

coming thursday night you guys should come pick me at the airport... Hope you will be less busy sha?

Klexycole take note.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:42am On Nov 14, 2016
goldfish80:

I called Mikel box to box because that was exactly the interpretation of his role last night. You can see Mikel deep in his defensive 3rd helping out the defence whole also going far into the defensive 3rd of the Algerians. That's the definition of as box to box midfielder. Ozil plays strictly as AMF.

Etebo was a DM in the double pivot with Onazi. He played more like a deep-lying playmaker.
The assist he gave was just fortuitous because he hardly found himself in an advanced role.

He spent most of his time with Onazi until Ndidi came in and freed him up.

so you have never seen Iniesta in the defensive 3rd before? Is he a box to box or an Amf?

See, there is this classico, in Luis Enrique's first classico, Iniesta was the second to the last man, he lost possession there and they conceded, that does not mean that he was a box to box but he was the person defending then. This is football for God's sake not basketball, rigidity isn't another name for football. Just because you saw Mikel in our defensive third does not mean he wasn't playing as an AMF, he is the captain and he felt that we were under undue pressure and that was why he came back to offer support. Good captains do that a lot, some who are even strikers might be seen in such positions trying to offer guidiance and motivation, that's not rocket science but how can you even argue that Mikel was a box to box? Ok so your point now is that we were not playing with an AMF? then what's the point of playing a 4-2-3-1? Haba, the formation should have already told you what we are doing na. Go and watch that Germany vs Brazil match again, even Ozil was found in defensive 3rd sometimes, that's the meaning of GERMAN TOTAL FOOTBALL, and we have a german coach too. Onazi was the sitting DMF, except if you know better than Mikel who once said that Luiz was told to sit while he could roam forward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:45am On Nov 14, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Goal's 5-things-we-learnt.... Well, was expecting much more "specific" stuffs but it's still okay shaa.....

LEARNED

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/53/42/gernot-rohr-training_10n7ekjgxnz9s1eykwfjk48b4v.jpg?t=-585336730&w=480[/img]

There hasn’t been any form of stability in the senior team since the African Cup of Nations triumph of 2013, with coaching instability breeding a sense of uncertainty.

However, under the watch of Gernot Rohr, the Super Eagles are playing more as a unit, with motivation and determination to succeed.
Whatever magic the German tactician has worked, he’s transformed the team and has finally got Nigeria believing again.

Football is supposed to be a team sport, but many at times, the players try to make it an individual affair which often doesn’t bring the desired result.

Such has been the case with the Super Eagles in the past, where going for personal glory was more important than the team. However with Rohr on the touchline, there’s a better bond among players, and the result is more confidence and the fans loving our football.

Victor Moses started the new season with uncertainty over his future at Chelsea and his Super Eagles status was also put into question having played below par in recent times.
However, a reversal of fortunes under Antonio Conte meant fans are seeing the best of the 25-year-old. Those fortunes have overflowed into the national team, and his dominant display against the Desert Foxes means there is more than enough to be happy about regarding the direction he is going.

It has become a regular occurrence to see the Super Eagles backline falter when the team is in a leading position. This allows the opposition to gain momentum and that’s what happened against Algeria. The defenders could not contain the pace of the North Africans when they threatened.

When it was announced that Carl Ikeme was withdrawn from the squad due to injury with Daniel Akpeyi coming in as his replacement and starting ahead of Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Dele Alampasu, there was pessimism about the Chippa United goalie’s chances of filling in for his compatriot. He looked very shaky all evening, lacking focus and composure, and even though Nabil Bentaleb’s goal was not his fault, Akpeyi doesn’t have the kind of authority that Ikeme does between the sticks.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-za/news/4622/africa/2016/11/13/29473832/nigeria-vs-algeria-five-things-we-learned

people don't understand that the defence wasn't poor exactly, the DMF was, infact the defenders need to be congratulated for a spotless performance. I have stopped reading goal.com anyways, I don't really understand the kind of analysts they employ

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:51am On Nov 14, 2016
I agree. The Defence did great except for Omeruo who was skinned a couple of times by Brahimi. Omeruo just did his best but he wasnt great.

The DMF didnt help matters much hence the pressure on the defence for some good periods of the second half.

I just say make I manage the write-up as even Goal's ratings of our players was really somewhat.

Mickael2:

people don't understand that the defence wasn't poor exactly, the DMF was, infact the defenders need to be congratulated for a spotless performance. I have stopped reading goal.com anyways, I don't really understand the kind of analysts they employ
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 14, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Mourinho is not a human being. He is the king of gloating so i can't take him serious.
Lol.. you probably have som ishh with him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:45am On Nov 14, 2016
krattoss:
Lol.. you probably have som ishh with him

I have no or ish no issue. Mourinho is the worst winner on the planet. He rubs it in and taunts his fellow coaches, calling them names like donkey and specialist at failure. This same man that was charging his fans after chelsea had stopped liverpool from winning the title. If i was Conte i for give am blow sef.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 9:45am On Nov 14, 2016
Mickael2:

I had to check name first make I no go praise person wey vex me. I think you are right but it seems we all are forgetting the fact that we played algeria. These things happens once in a while.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

LEARNED

The tone of this article shows the hand of Solace Chukwu. As much as I like him, he is like goodjoe, when he likes a player he likes him, when he doesn't, he doesn't. He doesn't like Ekong and he is always criticizing him unfairly. Someone who thinks Ekong's performance in the olympics was a fluke. For the life of me, that defence was solid and if not for the lapses in DMF, Algeria would not have scored. The chances Algeria had were from the lapses in the DMF.

I say that this nairaland thread is perhaps the best source of information about the Super Eagles on the net.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:52am On Nov 14, 2016
Mickael2:

so you have never seen Iniesta in the defensive 3rd before? Is he a box to box or an Amf?

See, there is this classico, in Luis Enrique's first classico, Iniesta was the second to the last man, he lost possession there and they conceded, that does not mean that he was a box to box but he was the person defending then. This is football for God's sake not basketball, rigidity isn't another name for football. Just because you saw Mikel in our defensive third does not mean he wasn't playing as an AMF, he is the captain and he felt that we were under undue pressure and that was why he came back to offer support. Good captains do that a lot, some who are even strikers might be seen in such positions trying to offer guidiance and motivation, that's not rocket science but how can you even argue that Mikel was a box to box? Ok so your point now is that we were not playing with an AMF? then what's the point of playing a 4-2-3-1? Haba, the formation should have already told you what we are doing na. Go and watch that Germany vs Brazil match again, even Ozil was found in defensive 3rd sometimes, that's the meaning of GERMAN TOTAL FOOTBALL, and we have a german coach too. Onazi was the sitting DMF, except if you know better than Mikel who once said that Luiz was told to sit while he could roam forward.

You're still arguing this? Onazi and Etebo were the holding midfielders. Although Etebo played as the deep-lying playmaker because of his quality on the ball.

From these pictures you can clearly see Onazi and Etebo in a parallel line. In engineering we call it being in the line of sight of each other.
In the third picture, you can see Etebo retrieving the ball even deeper than Onazi.

We attacked with 4 players and defended with 6.Mikel played a variation of box to box/ AMF role where he dropped very deep. From the 4th pic you can see Mikel inside our own box. I wonder how many times you've ever seen Ozil inside the Arsenal box.

Etebo played the box to box role immediately Mikel was subbed for Ndidi.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:20am On Nov 14, 2016
You're right... Goal scored Ekong low in the game. I was so angry.

I also remember a particular moniker who views this thread who rubbished Ekong on this thread or the U-23 thread. I remember the moniker quite well but will keep my tongue tied.

Wonder what he thinks of Ekong now. smiley

joseph1013:

The tone of this article shows the hand of Solace Chukwu. As much as I like him, he is like goodjoe, when he likes a player he likes him, when he doesn't, he doesn't. He doesn't like Ekong and he is always criticizing him unfairly. Someone who thinks Ekong's performance in the olympics was a fluke. For the life of me, that defence was solid and if not for the lapses in DMF, Algeria would not have scored. The chances Algeria had were from the lapses in the DMF.

I say that this nairaland thread is perhaps the best source of information about the Super Eagles on the net.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:28am On Nov 14, 2016
Leicester City Star Mahrez Confesses Etebo
Admiration – That Number 20 (Etebo) For Nigeria Did Very Well

Leicester City star forward Riyad Mahrez says
Nigerian 20 year old midfielder cum forward
Oghenekaro Etebo played a big role in stifling the game plans of the Foxes of Algeria, in the 3-1 loss to Nigeria.

Etebo who is predominately a forward was played in the midfield by coach Gernot Rohr as part of a three man midfield alongside John Obi Mikel and Eddy Onazi.

That masterstroke by Rohr has earned praises
from Mahrez, who particularly pointed out that
Etebo covered lot of grounds defensively and
offensively which denied them space to play to
their potential.

”That Number 20 (Etebo) was everywhere, he
did a lot for his team in both areas of the pitch.
He was always near whoever is on the ball, he did very well” Mahrez said to the press in Algeria.

”We lost to a better team, Nigeria deserves to
win. We didn’t defend properly against a team
that is known for their attacking potentials. We
are still confident of qualifying though”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/14/leicester-city-star-mahrez-confesses-etebo-admiration-that-number-20-etebo-for-nigeria-did-very-well/

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:32am On Nov 14, 2016
RIO OLYMPICS HEROES GET $14,000-A-MAN
FROM JAPANESE CASH GIFT

Rio Olympics Joy - Aminu leads the celebrations for Nigeria at the recent Olympics

Each player of the Nigerian football team to the
last Olympic Games received $14,000 (over four
million Naira) each as his share of the cash gift by wealthy Japanese surgeon Katsuya Takasu,
AfricanFootball.com can confirm.

The ‘Dream Team VI’, as the Nigerian football
team to the Rio 2016 Olympics were known, won the bronze medal at the games, and were
rewarded with a donation of $390,000 for their
efforts by the renowned doctor.

And almost three months after the feat in Brazil, the players have now finally received their share of the money.

“The money has finally been disbursed to all the
players and they got $14,000 each,” a highly
placed source informed only AfricanFootball.com

However, only the 18 players who made the final list to the games got $14,000 each, as the
standby players – Taiwo Awoniyi, Stanley Dimgba, Yusuf Mohammed and Godwin Saviour – received one million Naira (N1m) each.

It is believed that head coach Samson Siasia
pocketed the lion share.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/663724/Rio-Olympics-heroes-get-14000-a-man-from-Japanese-cash-gift

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m), 2innocent(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.