Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (406) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11697527 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
tbaba1234:

The 2009 under 17 team did not have MRI scans required for each player. It was more like random selection. Like drug tests. That is why Fortune and others could slip through.

MRI scans became compulsory in 2011 for every player.

I remember chukwudi, I also noticed that there has been almost zero change physically with Emeka Omeruah who was purportedly 15 then. You and I know that's not possible for a 15 year old.

Nigerians being die hards will always try to bypass and circumvent the system. A leopard never changes its spots.

Because the MRI covers an age range and is not a specific determinant of age. You can easily cut off 2-5 years off your age depending on your personal physiology.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 12:22pm On Dec 21, 2016
Musa Mohammed stars as Turkish club post big cup win Nigeria international Musa Mohammed played all 90 minutes as his high-flying Turkish club Istanbul Basaksehir FK smashed past Goztepe 6-2 in a cup tie. Right fullback Musa has enjoyed a decent run in the cup with his Turkish club. IBB are the surprise league leaders in Turkey after 15 rounds of matches. They have recorded 35 points, three points more than closest rivals and champions Besiktas. They have finished within the top four in Turkey in the past two seasons to allow them feature in the UEFA Europa League.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:27pm On Dec 21, 2016
joseph1013:

Please where did you see that playing in Europe is a pre-requisite for invitation to the Eagles? Are you sure you read my comment at all?

My comment was not a direct response but rather an additional observation, with regards to players playing in leagues I consider to lack over all quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 12:42pm On Dec 21, 2016
terzurum5:
AF Cameroon Ligue 1 2016/2017 France
Cameroon in disarray after 7 stars pull out of AFCON

by Samm Audu

The Indomitable Lions of Cameroon are in total disarray ahead of next year’s AFCON in Gabon after as many as seven players on their 35-man provisional squad including Premier League stars Joel Matip and Allan Nyom opted out.

Cameroon coach Hugo Bros raised alarm over the availability of the country’s top stars for Gabon 2017.

Liverpool defender Matip, Nyom from West Bromwich Albion, Ajax Amsterdam goalkeeper Andre Onana, Guy Roland Ndy Assembe of Nancy and Andre Zambo Anguissa from Olympique Marseille have withdrawn from the four-time African champions squad to Gabon 2017.

Others who have opted out are Maxime Poundje of Bordeaux and Ibrahim Amadou from Lille.

Matip has insisted on continuing his self-imposed exile from international football after his bad experience with the previous Indomitable Lions coaches, while Onana, Assembe, Nyom have put club before country so as to maintain first-team places at their various clubs.

Poundje has opted to try his luck with France instead of Cameroon.
However, Cameroon could still get these top stars to feature at the AFCON should they report them to world football governing body FIFA.

For the 2017 AFCON, Cameroon are drawn in Group A alongside hosts Gabon, Burkina Faso and debutants Guinea Bissau.

They are also pitched against Nigeria, Zambia and Algeria in the qualifying tournament for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The Indomitable Lions are second in the group with two points from as many matches, four points behind leaders Nigeria and both teams clash in a double-header from August 2017.

africanfootball.com/news/672860/Cameroon-in-disarray-after-7-stars-pull-out-of-AFCON
AFCON should happen every other four years. As it is now the competition is losing its prestige and in all honesty is seen as a burden by most African footballers and their European clubs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
KevinDein:
AFCON should happen every other four years. As it is now the competition is losing its prestige and in all honesty is seen as a burden by most African footballers and their European clubs.

They just need to move it into the off season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

They just need to move it into the off season.
weather conditions are terrible in most of Africa during that time of the year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:33pm On Dec 21, 2016
true nigerians will always try to cheat the system but the MRI scan thing has been a real game changer. i think you feel the scan can't detect older kids who due to malnutrition look younger but i read when doing the tests for the MRI system before it's introduction they used various test subjects including africans before deciding on the final parameters.

you can see for yourself the physical transformation of our u17s since 2013.

as long as a nation we refuse to implement proper record keeping the doubts will still be there for now we can only rely on MRI and the personal history/anecdotes of each player.

komekn:

I remember chukwudi, I also noticed that there has been almost zero change physically with Emeka Omeruah who was purportedly 15 then. You and I know that's not possible for a 15 year old.

Nigerians being die hards will always try to bypass and circumvent the system. A leopard never changes its spots.

Because the MRI covers an age range and is not a specific determinant of age. You can easily cut off 2-5 years off your age depending on your personal physiology.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
seconded

KevinDein:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:56pm On Dec 21, 2016
komekn:

five years. Haba.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
komekn:

I have spent a lot of time at Platt lane.

Nigeria is corrupt but what goes on there will compete with what we do. Nepotism, favoritism and the under the table sweeteners are rife.

The Arab multi billionaire owners are not concerned or even bother auditing what is spent for youth player acquisition. There is a mentality of we need to spend this money quick or loose it, and we need to get it in our pockets.

The average coach in city is probably not on more than £35k and the part time coaches much less. You then want them to make decisions on million pound youth players without undue influence. Consider that a lot of players have TPI meaning some one can pay a very nice sweetener to make it happen.

At youth football, OPPORTUNITY is all, the question is who will be given the opportunity to shine, the best player or the vested interest player. Players are people's meal tickets inside and outside of the club. Official or unofficial everything will boil down to arrangement 90% of the time.

Doesn't matter about facilities, if you can't dance you can't dance no matter how good the dance floor is. Secondly you can't teach what you don't know, if you can't do skill how can you teach it. In most English football academies they will teach positional awareness, basic technique, fitness, strength and match discipline. But not the skill, technique and swag we Naija are accustomed too.

I will say there is one coach that has impressed me the most there and that was Mark Reese.

City u-18s beat Stoke City 5-2

Manchester City’s under-18s extended their remarkable unbeaten run to 15 matches with a 5-2 win over Stoke City featuring five different goalscorers.

Ian Carlo Poveda, Jadon Sancho, Lorenzo Gonzalez, Phil Foden and Joe Hardy all scored for the academy side as Lee Carsley’s men ensured they would spend Christmas at the top of the academy north table.

I guess it is a far cry from what you think.
grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:40pm On Dec 21, 2016
KevinDein:
weather conditions are terrible in most of Africa during that time of the year.

I'm not so sure, most league go on during that time period including ours.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:42pm On Dec 21, 2016
Manchester City have worked "two-and-a-half hours per day" in training on winning second balls, according to manager Pep Guardiola.

That is more than a football match and this is done every day. That was why City showed so much improvements in their aerial duels. Not game time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 5:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I'm not so sure, most league go on during that time period including ours.
rainy season, in most of Africa, usually peaks around that time (June, July), bro. That's what I meant by "terrible weather conditions"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:08pm On Dec 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

five years. Haba.

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Manchester City have worked "two-and-a-half hours per day" in training on winning second balls, according to manager Pep Guardiola.

That is more than a football match and this is done every day. That was why City showed so much improvements in their aerial duels. Not game time.

That is why City is at the top of the league table and leading by 6 points.

Story!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:04pm On Dec 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

City u-18s beat Stoke City 5-2

Manchester City’s under-18s extended their remarkable unbeaten run to 15 matches with a 5-2 win over Stoke City featuring five different goalscorers.

Ian Carlo Poveda, Jadon Sancho, Lorenzo Gonzalez, Phil Foden and Joe Hardy all scored for the academy side as Lee Carsley’s men ensured they would spend Christmas at the top of the academy north table.

I guess it is a far cry from what you think.
grin

Player Development
That's a whole different natter. I don't use team results to determine individual player development and progression. For instance Everton wins a lot of matches but thier player development leaves much to be desired. Recently Everton U23 scored 5 goals against Arsenal U23's winning the match 5-0, is Everton's U23 better than Arsenal U23's Who is developing players that will become world class . In a few years time 75% of this Everton squad will be playing in the lower leagues. Is that player development

If I had the time and inclination I would set up and select a team of true as possible U18's in Nigeria. After one year of training they would beat almost every English football academy, however that will not guarantee selection or opportunity into premiership clubs. And i can longer stand the frustration of broken dreams through favoritism and corruption on the faces of these boys.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:20pm On Dec 21, 2016
komekn:

Player Development
That's a whole different natter. I don't use team results to determine individual player development and progression. For instance Everton wins a lot of matches but thier player development leaves much to be desired. Recently Everton U23 scored 5 goals against Arsenal U23's winning the match 5-0, is Everton's U23 better than Arsenal U23's Who is developing players that will become world class . In a few years time 75% of this Everton squad will be playing in the lower leagues. Is that player development

If I had the time and inclination I would set up and select a team of true as possible U18's in Nigeria. After one year of training they would beat almost every English football academy, however that will not guarantee selection or opportunity into premiership clubs. And i can longer stand the frustration of broken dreams through favoritism and corruption on the faces of these boys.

Easier said than done.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:23pm On Dec 21, 2016
joseph1013:

That is why City is at the top of the league table and leading by 6 points.

Story!

Totally missed the whole story. Just ask for further explanations.

Due to our recent poor form, Guardiola asked Xabi Alonso, who was a respected member of his Bayern Squad how to adapt his tactics to cope with the direct approach of the English teams. Xabi Alonso advised Guardiola to work on winning aerial balls. Guardiola got the team performing drills on dealing with these balls and we showed improvement in our recent games.

So your top table talk is totally off the point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Totally missed the whole story. Just ask for further explanations.

Due to our recent poor form, Guardiola asked Xabi Alonso, who was a respected member of his Bayern Squad how to adapt his tactics to cope with the direct approach of the English teams. Xabi Alonso advised Guardiola to work on winning aerial balls. Guardiola got the team performing drills on dealing with these balls and we showed improvement in our recent games.

So your top table talk is totally off the point.
grin grin grin

When did he ask Alonso?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:40pm On Dec 21, 2016
terzurum5:
Sarki drags Ambrose into bribe scandal

Efe Ambrose

CELTIC outcast Efe Ambrose has been unwittingly dragged into a bribing scandal in Nigeria after recommending a coach who demanded money from stars who wanted to play for the Super Eagles, The Scottish Sun reports.

Former Chelsea midfielder Emmanuel Sarki had claimed he decided to snub Nigeria and play international football for Haiti instead because he got sick of being asked to pay up to £1,000 to play for the Super Eagles.

And Ambrose – who is currently out of the picture at Parkhead – has unknowingly become a part of the scandal because he was a former colleague of Sarki at Ashdod in Israel.

He revealed, “I was told to pay before I am called up, that was when I was playing in Israel. [b]I won’t mention the name of the coach.[/b]

“It was Efe Ambrose who gave me the contact of the coach after telling him of my form. I put a call across to him, but he told me to speak with his assistant, who openly asked me for money.

“A lot of friends asked me to pay the money, but the sum they were quoting was way more than what I can afford. I couldn’t pay it and despite my fine form, I wasn’t contacted again.

“I have no regrets though about picking Haiti because you get picked on your form not on what you have to offer the coaches.”

Ambrose has been frozen out by Brendan Rodgers this season and seems certain to leave this winter after an August switch to Bayer Leverkusen failed to materialise.

http://punchng.com/sarki-drags-ambrose-bribe-scandal/

I don't wanna speak ill of the dead but I'd point fingers at Keshi, if I were to guess whom the coach is.

And I heard that Siasia is in the same boat too. In fact, that's why naija coaches no dey progress - bribery and corruption.

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:47pm On Dec 21, 2016
forgiveness:

Excuse me please! grin That Gabriel is another monster ready to devour his preys grin

Kelechi has found a competent competitor in Jesus the saviour(to be) of Man city.
grin

Are you retarded??!! Stop using God's Name in vain angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:04pm On Dec 21, 2016
Icon79:

I don't wanna speak ill of the dead but I'd point fingers at Keshi, if I were to guess whom the coach is.

And I heard that Siasia is in the same boat too. In fact, that's why naija coaches no dey progress - bribery and corruption.

O pari

That Siasia's Olympic team is prime example. Thankfully, we were disgraced in the pre tournament friendlies.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:15pm On Dec 21, 2016
tbaba1234:

That Siasia's Olympic team is prime example. Thankfully, we were disgraced in the pre tournament friendlies.

Most naija coaches are thieves, no doubt.

For the first time in my years, we haven't seen any recent hair scratcher of an invite to the Super Eagles team.
But under Keshi, Siasia, or Oliseh, you'd always have 2 or 3 players you'd be asking yourself, 'how in the world did this guy make the team?'

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tarzaa(m): 8:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
[quote author=terzurum5 post=52124874](SEE PICTURE) – NPFL Top Scorer Obaje Signs For Tunisian Side Etoile Du Sahel

As exclusively reported by Owngoalnigeria.com yesterday top scorer in the Nigeria Professional Football League Godwin Obaje has completed his transfer to Tunisian giants Etoile Du Sahel on a four and half year deal.

See picture below. He finished as top scorer in the Nigeria Professional League with 18 goals last season, and saw a proposed move to Russian side Lokomotive Moscow fell through at the end.

owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/see-picture-npfl-top-scorer-obaje-signs-for-tunisian-side-etoile-du-sahel/[/quote
....is this move not waste of time?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:22pm On Dec 21, 2016
Icon79:

God's name ke? Shey na only you no know say Gabriel first name na Jesus?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:40pm On Dec 21, 2016
safarigirl:

The guy is slow! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:07pm On Dec 21, 2016
KevinDein:
rainy season, in most of Africa, usually peaks around that time (June, July), bro. That's what I meant by "terrible weather conditions"

Wasn't expecting u to mean snow but even our league goes on around that time, it would even be better to have it at the beginning of the season like the olympics. Playing the afcon in january is bad for african football, the afcon is the reason we have only had a few consistent players in Europe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 9:23pm On Dec 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not think it is a why. It was meant to be. I was a big fan of Carlos Tevez as a young teenager (16) and I was a Manchester United fan when Tevez put up a brilliant performance. Alex Ferguson refused to sign Tevez before the end of the season. Tevez left to City at the beginning of the season. I still held on until City announced Roberto Mancini as the coach of the Club. That was the sign.

I am a big Mancini fan. From his days as a player of Lazio, to his days coaching Lazio and Inter Milan. As soon as he became a Cityzen, I became one. From then, in 2010, my undying loyalty remains with City.

How Ironic, an Ex-Manu fan supporting their Noisy Neighbours. Fair Enough.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:26pm On Dec 21, 2016
Icon79:

Shuuuu! shocked see me see turobulu ooooooo! Na me gi-am name!? shocked grin

Who no know say em name na Gabriel Jesus abi na Jesus Gabriel? grin

And don't ask me wetin that angel 'Gabriel' dey do 4 dere ooooooo. grin

Take ya time ooooooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
Icon79:

O pari

I can confirm yes and I'm sorry to say it, but the bitter truth is not good it really stinks. I'll leave it at that NUFF SAID
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 9:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
forgiveness:

Shuuuu! shocked see me see turobulu ooooooo! Na me gi-am name!? shocked grin

Who no know say em name na Gabriel Jesus abi na Jesus Gabriel? grin

And don't ask me wetin that angel 'Gabriel' dey do 4 dere ooooooo. grin

Take ya time ooooooo.

Sure. You can call him Gabriel Jesus, but don't call him savior. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 9:57pm On Dec 21, 2016
safarigirl:

I was just troubled when he called him savior. That's taking it too far - unacceptable.

We've only ONE Savior. His Name is Jesus but definitely NOT the Brazilian soccer player.

O pari

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.