Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (404) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11587987 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) ... (16120) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:37am On Dec 20, 2016
komekn:

I have spent a lot of time at Platt lane.

Nigeria is corrupt but what goes on there will compete with what we do. Nepotism, favoritism and the under the table sweeteners are rife.

The Arab multi billionaire owners are not concerned or even bother auditing what is spent for youth player acquisition. There is a mentality of we need to spend this money quick or loose it, and we need to get it in our pockets.

The average coach in city is probably not on more than £35k and the part time coaches much less. You then want them to make decisions on million pound youth players without undue influence. Consider that a lot of players have TPI meaning some one can pay a very nice sweetener to make it happen.

At youth football, OPPORTUNITY is all, the question is who will be given the opportunity to shine, the best player or the vested interest player. Players are people's meal tickets inside and outside of the club. Official or unofficial everything will boil down to arrangement 90% of the time.

Doesn't matter about facilities, if you can't dance you can't dance no matter how good the dance floor is. Secondly you can't teach what you don't know, if you can't do skill how can you teach it. In most English football academies they will teach positional awareness, basic technique, fitness, strength and match discipline. But not the skill, technique and swag we Naija are accustomed too.

I will say there is one coach that has impressed me the most there and that was Mark Reese.

Patrick Vieira did not impress you? One of the academy coaches of Barcelona is in Manchester City. I guess that one did not impress you too.

Manchester City has maybe the best facilities in academy football and we are signing some of the best young talents in the game today. With the coaches we have, we will churn out brilliant talents. Look at Dennis Suarez at Barcelona and Denayer who is impressive at Sunderland. That is a window of what The Etihad Campus can produce.

With young bright talents like Jordin Taylor, Aleix Garcia, Manu Garcia, Tosin Adarabioyo, Garre, Brahim Diaz (mini Messi) and others, the academy opportunities are limitless.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43am On Dec 20, 2016
komekn:

I have spent a lot of time at Platt lane.

Nigeria is corrupt but what goes on there will compete with what we do. Nepotism, favoritism and the under the table sweeteners are rife.

The Arab multi billionaire owners are not concerned or even bother auditing what is spent for youth player acquisition. There is a mentality of we need to spend this money quick or loose it, and we need to get it in our pockets.

The average coach in city is probably not on more than £35k and the part time coaches much less. You then want them to make decisions on million pound youth players without undue influence. Consider that a lot of players have TPI meaning some one can pay a very nice sweetener to make it happen.

At youth football, OPPORTUNITY is all, the question is who will be given the opportunity to shine, the best player or the vested interest player. Players are people's meal tickets inside and outside of the club. Official or unofficial everything will boil down to arrangement 90% of the time.

Doesn't matter about facilities, if you can't dance you can't dance no matter how good the dance floor is. Secondly you can't teach what you don't know, if you can't do skill how can you teach it. In most English football academies they will teach positional awareness, basic technique, fitness, strength and match discipline. But not the skill, technique and swag we Naija are accustomed too.

I will say there is one coach that has impressed me the most there and that was Mark Reese.

The Facilities matter if the players have the talents. What of Angelino and Maffeo? Are you saying they are not brilliant talents? So, how can you say the Facilities do not count when exceptional talents get to work with them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:41am On Dec 20, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
Don’t Blame Me For AFCON 2017 Qualification Failure, Blame Siasia

Former coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Sunday Oliseh has suggested that his replacement Samson Siasia should be blamed for Nigeria’s failure to qualify for AFCON 2017 and not him.

Nigeria used four coaches during their failed attempt to qualify for next year AFCON which will he holding in Gabon, with late coach Stephen Keshi starting the campaign with a 2-0 win over Chad before he was axed.

Following his sacking, Sunday Oliseh was appointed as coach of the team and handled them in just one game against Tanzania which ended 0-0, before throwing in the towel, three weeks to the group decider. The double header against Egypt.

Oliseh’s resignation lead to the employment of Samson Siasia as interim manager of the team for the games against Egypt. With Nigeria drawing 1-1 at home before losing 0-1 away to miss out on any chance of progressing to next year AFCON.

New manager Gernot Rohr completed the qualifying series for Nigeria beating Tanzania 1-0 in a dead rubber tie in Uyo, but while most Nigerians are blaming Oliseh. He inferred in a chat with a fan on social media that whoever handled the games against Egypt should be blamed.

A follower @Okparajokpara posted a tweet on his wall that reads ” Fans should blame the coach that failed to beat Egypt at the nations cup qualifiers and Oliseh winning ratio was fantastics”

Oliseh replied his post by saying ” Wow cheers & bravo, @Okparajokpara , I believe most Nigerians know this now. But as always there will always be a few loud exception”

"Foreign experts & I are puzzled to a rib breaking point, how a coach who had 80% success rate be called anything but successful” He concluded.

owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/17/dont-blame-me-for-afcon-2017-qualification-failure-blame-siasia/
Olishe should keep quiet coz we have move on

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:02am On Dec 20, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Come On. Pellegrini coached Real Madrid and Real Madrid have one of the best academy facilities in the World. Pellegrini attested that Manchester City academy has the best facility in the World

Firstly, across Europe the standards of facilities at most professional football clubs meet a minimum standard. As a consequence having the best or better facilities does not equate to producing the best players. In this regard the facilities at Charlton athletic are classed as Category 2, MK Dons cat 3 and nearly all premier teams and a few championship teams Category 1.

If you are making a comparison to facilities in Nigeria then that's a different matter entirely.

I know Patrick Vieira and I would class him as a good manager not a necessarily a coach. Consider John Fashanu closer to home, I would neither consider him a competent coach or manager. I also know John Barns but would not consider him a great coach or manager but he was an excellent player. Essentially being a great player does not always transfer to being a great coach or manager.

Now consider Charlton and MK Dons with thier substandard facilities by your unit of measurement and the players they have produced. Not including the players the big teams poached from them.

How many has Manchester city produced and don't include Kelechi he came there at over 16/17. that play regularly in the premiership or even played at the club.

Being at city doesn't mean you are any better than players at much lesser clubs. You are just oportuned and possibly have a good agent with some level of talent.

My views are not second hand on the assumption of the competence of others who may or not have invested interest, such as Pellegrini. I probably have been to at at least 75% of every category 1 academy at one time or the other or sometimes once or twice a week for months on end, sometimes years. I may not have a UEFA badge but I've scouted for premier clubs I will leave it at that.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:53am On Dec 20, 2016
komekn:

Firstly, across Europe the standards of facilities at most professional football clubs meet a minimum standard. As a consequence having the best or better facilities does not equate to producing the best players. In this regard the facilities at Charlton athletic are classed as Category 2, MK Dons cat 3 and nearly all premier teams and a few championship teams Category 1.

If you are making a comparison to facilities in Nigeria then that's a different matter entirely.

I know Patrick Vieira and I would class him as a good manager not a necessarily a coach. Consider John Fashanu closer to home, I would neither consider him a competent coach or manager. I also know John Barns but would not consider him a great coach or manager but he was an excellent player. Essentially being a great player does not always transfer to being a great coach or manager.

Now consider Charlton and MK Dons with thier substandard facilities by your unit of measurement and the players they have produced. Not including the players the big teams poached from them.

How many has Manchester city produced and don't include Kelechi he came there at over 16/17. that play regularly in the premiership or even played at the club.

Being at city doesn't mean you are any better than players at much lesser clubs. You are just oportuned and possibly have a good agent with some level of talent.

My views are not second hand on the assumption of the competence of others who may or not have invested interest, such as Pellegrini. I probably have been to at at least 75% of every category 1 academy at one time or the other or sometimes once or twice a week for months on end, sometimes years. I may not have a UEFA badge but I've scouted for premier clubs I will leave it at that.

How can you say leave Kelechi Iheanacho out of the discussion when that is what the debate is about? I said, because of the coaches and facilities at Manchester City, Iheanacho should go there, instead of FC Porto.

I also highlighted Pellegrini's history if grooming youngsters and why it will benefit Iheanacho.

So saying leave Iheanacho means you are missing the whole point safarigirl pointed out.

I have given you a list of youngsters City favored. Many of them worked with Vieira. Vieira had a successful stay at City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:55pm On Dec 20, 2016
Kog45:
Olishe should keep quiet coz we have move on

Oliseh is one character in Nigerian football that will never feel ashamed of himself for the drawbacks he has caused to our football.
Am not surprised he was brought in by Pi**nic

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:01pm On Dec 20, 2016
true a player can spend years in the academy before going to europe but in ndidi's case he had a track record of being involved in youth tournaments here in nigeria. i really wish there was a way to check his height during the u20 world cup against his current height that should prove beyond reasonable doubt that he's still a growing young man.

however i agree 100% that we need a proper transparent database.

goldfish80:

Ndidi actually failed MRI test and was banned subsequently for the CAF U17 championship with 2 other Nigerian players. Ghana and Ivory coast lost some players too due to MRI failure.

You will be making a huge mistake believing that everyone who went straight to Europe from local academies are young.
My brother, Premier league and national league clubs at the end of each season call for an open camp, where players from different academies and amateur clubs come and try out. The lucky 4 or 5 get signed up, out of those 5 maybe only 1 actually got signed up on merit. The rest got singed up due to normal naija man know man runs, padi padi and sometimes players come to camp cluching letters from senators or house of rep members.
The hands of coaches and club managers are usually tied because these clubs are actually owned by state governments. Player with such recommendations are given preferential treatments and get contracts in the end. The other players (usually in their 100s) go back to their amateur clubs and academies and wait for next open screening or contacts from little teams in Asia and obscure countries in Europe.
The following year the cycle contines, in an infinite loop so to say.

All in all, you can have a player who have played for an academy or been within the amateur rankings for more than 7years before getting any sort of attention. A friend of mine who is a professional goal keeper told me that lukman Haruna came for screening 3 previous U17 sets before he was considered and made the captain in 2007.
Haruna went from the academy system in Nigeria straight to Monaco. Am sure you get the picture.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:11pm On Dec 20, 2016
Forgotten Former Golden Eaglet Left Winger Turning Head In Portugal

Former Kaduna United and Nigeria U-17 left foot dazzler Femi Balogun has emerged as one of the key players for promotion chasing Portuguese second division side Desportivo Aves.

Balogun joined the team from relegated side Farense in the summer as a free agent, and so far he has been pivotal to their push to gain promotion to the top league in Portugal.

CD Aves are currently second on the log standing, four points behind leaders Portimonense after 19 games, and Balogun has played in all but three of their games this season.

Although he is still searching for his first goal, the former Athletico Baleares star has been among the livewire of the team in attack, picking up three assist so far including one in their last weekend 3-1 win over Penafiel.

23 year old Balogun played for the Nigeria U-17 team of 2007, before sealing a move to Spanish second division side Atletico Baleares in 2012.

He spent two years with Olhanense after leaving Spain for Portugal in 2013, a short stint in Cyprus with Ermis ensued before his return to Portugal last season.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/forgotten-former-golden-eaglet-left-winger-turning-head-in-portugal/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:14pm On Dec 20, 2016
Etebo Joins Super Eagles Walking Wounded Leon Balogun, Brown Ideye And Kenneth Omeruo

Super Eagles hard working midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo has joined the trio of Leon Balogun, Brown Ideye and Kenneth Omeruo on the treatment table as the first half of the season wind up in Europe.

Etebo missed CD Feirense 2-0 loss to Maritimo yesterday in the Premeira Liga, and reports indicate that he was dropped from the squad after picking up a knock, which he didn’t recover from before yesterday’s game.

His case is similar to that of Leon Balogun, who was also missing through injury when Mainz 05 thrashed Hamburg 3-1 in the Bundesliga, ending their winless run in the league.

Another Super Eagles player Brown Ideye was also missing from his team game at the weekend, and reports suggest that the Olympiacos forward is out injured until next year.

Meanwhile Kenneth Omeruo who recently moved to a new position as defensive midfielder for his Turkish side Alanyaspor was missing from their 0-0 draw against Akhisar Belediye Genclik Ve Spor, reports suggest that the on loan Chelsea midfielder is nursing a slight injury.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/etebo-joins-super-eagles-walking-wounded-leon-balogun-brown-ideye-and-kenneth-omeruo/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:16pm On Dec 20, 2016
Giant “Nigerian Defender” Based In Slovakia Speak On Career Rise And Super Eagles Chances Under Rohr

AS Trencin of Slovakia Nigerian defender Maduka Christopher Udeh says he is hopeful of making the Super Eagles squad to the World Cup 2018 in Russia.

Udeh who has been ever present for Trencin this season in both domestic and European competitions has earned rare reviews for his performances this season.

So far he has made 15 appearances in all competitions with a goal to his name from his position as a central defender, where his towering frame has earned him the nickname Metesacker by the media in Slovakia.

The nickname is due to his height and similar style of play with legendary German defender Per Metesacker of Arsenal, but the forward wants to create an identity for himself.

” I love the idea behind the nickname, and I sincerely appreciate but I just want to be me, build my career and hopefully be at the World Cup 2018 in Russia with Nigeria”, Maduka told Owngoalnigeria.com in Kaduna.

Linked with a host of teams in Germany, the 19 year old insist he is focused on improving his game and not keen on a move away from Trencin.

” You don’t rule out transfer as the dream of every footballer is to progress to a tougher, bigger and better league, but for now am fully focused on Trencin and making myself a better player”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/giant-nigerian-defender-based-in-slovakia-speak-on-career-rise-and-super-eagles-chances-under-rohr/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:17pm On Dec 20, 2016
Mikel Has No Relationship With Conte , They Have Not Talked For A While – Agent

Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel who is closing in on a transfer away from the club after 11 seasons is not having the best relationship with coach Antonio Conte.

Chelsea are currently top of the table in England, but the Nigerian has not played a part in their rise to the top of the table as he is yet to play a game this season.

Conte has frozen Mikel out of the first team set up for competitive games since taking over the team in the summer, and it appears there’s more to it than just keeping him out of the squad.

” No one knows what is happening and why Conte is treating Mikel this way, They have not talked for a while, as a matter of fact he has talked more about Mikel to the press than to the player himself,” Mikel’s intermediary friend told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” They don’t have a relationship the last time I checked, it will be better Mikel leaves and that is exactly what he will do in few weeks time, when the transfer window reopens in January”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/mikel-has-no-relationship-with-conte-they-have-not-talked-for-a-while-agent/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:19pm On Dec 20, 2016
Nwokolor “African Buffon” Voted Among Best Goalkeppers In Bosnia After First Round Of Games

On loan Nigerian goalkepper David Nwokolor has made the list of the best goalkeppers in Bosnia after the conclusion of the first round of league games in Bosnia.

20 year old Nwokolor is on loan to Bosnian side Vitez from HNK Rijeka of Croatia, and his fine form has not gone unnoticed by keen followers of the Bosnian league.

So far he has kept goal in 12 league games, and has conceded just 8 goals with six clean sheets to his name, a record that makes him the shot stopper with the highest number of clean sheet.

Nicknamed “African Buffon” by the press in Bosnia, he was voted alongside Dalibor Kozac of table toppers Zrinjski and Bojan Pavlovic of Sarajevo.

Already his fine form has lead to talks of a possible call up to the senior Nigeria national team for upcoming friendly games against Egypt and Ivory Coast next year.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/nwokolor-african-buffon-voted-among-best-goalkeppers-in-bosnia-after-first-round-of-games/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:20pm On Dec 20, 2016
Wonderkid Kelechi Nwakali Is Arsenal Best Teen Player Out On Loan

Highly rated Nigerian wonderkid Kelechi Nwakali is presently leading the rest of Arsenal teenagers out on loan to various teams across Europe.

Nwakali joined Arsenal in the summer, and the captain of the Nigeria U-20 team was immediately farmed out on loan by the Gunners to aid his career progression.

So far the MVP of the last U-17 World Cup has made 10 appearances for his loan side MVV Maastricht who are gunning for promotion to the top league in Holland.

He has progressed as expected in Holland unlike his fellow Arsenal loanee Tafari Moore who is in same team with him and Stefan O’Connor who is also in Holland but at Utrecht.

Dan Crowley is the other Arsenal teen out on loan but he has not fared better than Nwakali, as his loan spell was ended six months early at League One side Oxford, on the insistence of the team despite making 11 appearances and scoring three goals.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/wonderkid-kelechi-nwakali-is-arsenal-best-teen-player-out-on-loan/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:22pm On Dec 20, 2016
We Have To Be Physical And Technical Against Cameroon – Rohr Tells Super Eagles Stars

Ahead of Nigeria’s next World Cup 2018 qualifiers against Cameroon, coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has called on his players to match up to the physical and robust style of play of the Cameroonians.

Although the manager believes that been physical won’t be all his team need in the tie, he however doesn’t want his team to be bullied by the Cameroonians, when both teams clash in back to back game next year September.

Nigeria currently hold a four point lead over second placed Cameroon, and the trip to Yaounde will provide ample opportunity for both teams to consolidate their position as leaders of the group.

” We know what to expect from Cameroon, they are very physical. That is how they love to play, we have to be ready to match them in that regard. But been physical won’t be enough, we also have to be technical in our approach”, Rohr told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” We have the players to carry out the task of getting a positive result against Cameroon, all we have to do is to stick to our game plan, when the game comes up and not play into their hands”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/we-have-to-be-physical-and-technical-against-cameroon-rohr-tells-super-eagles-stars/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:23pm On Dec 20, 2016
Rohr Wonders Why Past Coaches Say Super Eagles Players Lack Discipline & Commitment – They Are Very Easy To Manage

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria has aimed a dig at previous coaches of the team, who are fond of questioning the players commitment and discipline.

Rohr who has secured three wins in his first three competitive games as coach the team believes that previous coaches of the team are been economical with the truth as regards players discipline and commitment.

” If you believe what you read about the players as said by previous coaches, you won’t want to call up some players, but so far I have not noticed any of what they complained about in the players”, Rohr told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” They are very easy to manage, maybe because have managed at club level in the past but I find them very dedicated and committed to our cause of qualifying for the World Cup in Russia.

” We have had isolated cases of players crossing the line while in camp, but it is expected with adults, and how you handle that matters a lot. Mikel has also been helpful in that regard”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/rohr-wonders-why-past-coaches-say-super-eagles-players-lack-discipline-commitment-they-are-very-easy-to-manage/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:34pm On Dec 20, 2016
Marseille Not CLOSE To Signing Mikel, Fail To Meet Wage Demands

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4633763_mikel_jpeg5d84ebf11f6ddda0f32f4c11f18ac739
Reports at home and abroad that suggested Nigeria skipper John Obi Mikel is on the verge of joining Marseille are incorrect according to reports in the French media.

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr claimed that the Ligue 1 club are in pole position for the signature of his skipper and he is set to leave Chelsea as a free agent next month.

But L’Equipe says Marseille failed to meet Mikel’s wage demands and the defensive midfielder has not yet agreed on a contract.

Marseille sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta and Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo held talks in London earlier this month, before another meeting between the Spaniard and Mikel’s intermediaries at a hotel in Paris.

The 29-year-old Mikel is known to be on the radar of Chinese Super League teams and Valencia.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21461
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:37pm On Dec 20, 2016
Oghenekaro Etebo Back In Full Training With CD Feirense

Nigeria international Oghenekaro Etebo has resumed full training with Portuguese setup CD Feirense, allnigeriasoccer.com has been informed.

The attacking midfielder was rested for his team’s 2-0 loss to Marítimo in the league on Monday because he was lacking match fitness after picking up a knock days leading up to the tie at Estádio dos Barreiros.

Etebo is in contention to face Pacos Ferreira in CD Feirense’s last game before the short winter break.

This season, the 2016 Rio Olympics star has appeared seven times in the Liga NOS.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21462

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:38pm On Dec 20, 2016
terzurum5:
Giant “Nigerian Defender” Based In Slovakia Speak On Career Rise And Super Eagles Chances Under Rohr

AS Trencin of Slovakia Nigerian defender Maduka Christopher Udeh says he is hopeful of making the Super Eagles squad to the World Cup 2018 in Russia.

Udeh who has been ever present for Trencin this season in both domestic and European competitions has earned rare reviews for his performances this season.

So far he has made 15 appearances in all competitions with a goal to his name from his position as a central defender, where his towering frame has earned him the nickname Metesacker by the media in Slovakia.

The nickname is due to his height and similar style of play with legendary German defender Per Metesacker of Arsenal, but the forward wants to create an identity for himself.

” I love the idea behind the nickname, and I sincerely appreciate but I just want to be me, build my career and hopefully be at the World Cup 2018 in Russia with Nigeria”, Maduka told Owngoalnigeria.com in Kaduna.

Linked with a host of teams in Germany, the 19 year old insist he is focused on improving his game and not keen on a move away from Trencin.

” You don’t rule out transfer as the dream of every footballer is to progress to a tougher, bigger and better league, but for now am fully focused on Trencin and making myself a better player”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/20/giant-nigerian-defender-based-in-slovakia-speak-on-career-rise-and-super-eagles-chances-under-rohr/

1.97! This guy is tall. He is as tall as Mertesacker who is 1.98. (For perspective, Peter Crouch is 2.01m) The guy is taller than Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Taller than the tallest Super Eagles player currently, John Ogu. He would probably be the tallest ever player to play for the Super Eagles if he is invited. And he is just 19!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:39pm On Dec 20, 2016
Mikel should go to China, I know he is not in need of money but some deals are too good to turn down.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:42pm On Dec 20, 2016
Sarki drags Ambrose into bribe scandal

Efe Ambrose

CELTIC outcast Efe Ambrose has been unwittingly dragged into a bribing scandal in Nigeria after recommending a coach who demanded money from stars who wanted to play for the Super Eagles, The Scottish Sun reports.

Former Chelsea midfielder Emmanuel Sarki had claimed he decided to snub Nigeria and play international football for Haiti instead because he got sick of being asked to pay up to £1,000 to play for the Super Eagles.

And Ambrose – who is currently out of the picture at Parkhead – has unknowingly become a part of the scandal because he was a former colleague of Sarki at Ashdod in Israel.

He revealed, “I was told to pay before I am called up, that was when I was playing in Israel. I won’t mention the name of the coach.

“It was Efe Ambrose who gave me the contact of the coach after telling him of my form. I put a call across to him, but he told me to speak with his assistant, who openly asked me for money.

“A lot of friends asked me to pay the money, but the sum they were quoting was way more than what I can afford. I couldn’t pay it and despite my fine form, I wasn’t contacted again.

“I have no regrets though about picking Haiti because you get picked on your form not on what you have to offer the coaches.”

Ambrose has been frozen out by Brendan Rodgers this season and seems certain to leave this winter after an August switch to Bayer Leverkusen failed to materialise.

http://punchng.com/sarki-drags-ambrose-bribe-scandal/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:53pm On Dec 20, 2016
Dalung warns NFF on dangers of owing Rohr during qualifiers

By Alex Monye

Rohr

Government sets up Olympic Trust Fund for athletes

Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, has warned the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that it would be toying with the Super Eagles’ chances of qualifying for the Russia 2018 World Cup if it failed at any time to pay the salary and other entitlements of the senior national team coach, Gernot Rohr, and his assistants.

Dalung, who praised the German tactician for leading Nigeria to success against Zambia and Algeria in the World Cup qualifying campaign, said the ministry was working closely with the NFF to ensure all financial dealings between the football body and the coach is fulfilled.

He added that the ministry has charged the NFF to put measures in place to help Nigerian local coaches understudy the foreign manager, saying that the move would prepare Nigerian to successfully handle more technical games in the future.

Dalung declared that the Super Eagles sterling performance in the 2018 World Cup qualifying series was one of his greatest achievements as sports minister, promised to help in every manner to ensure Nigeria got the Mundial Coupe ticket.

He also revealed that the Sports Ministry would set up an Olympic Trust Fund to raise resources that would ensure that Nigerian athletes are prepared adequately for the 2O20 Tokyo Olympics.

“The ministry is monitoring the NFF closely to ensure Coach Rohr gets all the resources he needs to help the Eagles qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

“To that effect, the ministry has mandated the NFF to ensure a domestic coach monitor the foreign coach for at least two years. The ministry would monitor Rohr’s payment and also work out modalities to settle players entitlements in the 2018 World Cup qualifier.”

On the Olympic Trust Fund, Dalung said it would be open to the public to support the government in raising money early for Nigerian athletes’ preparation for events.

“If this initiative succeeded, Nigerian athletes would no longer begin training for Olympics just a few months to the event. They would enjoy long training process within Africa and overseas, which would enable our athletes compete favourably with their foreign counterparts,’’ he said.

http://guardian.ng/sport/dalung-warns-nff-on-dangers-of-owing-rohr-during-qualifiers/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:54pm On Dec 20, 2016
Nigeria legend Okocha backs Ghana to win AFCON 2017

Nigeria legend Austin Okocha is supporting the Black Stars to end their trophy drought by winning the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon.

Ghana’s last continental silverware was back in 1982 when they lifted the Nations Cup in Libya.

But they have come close on three occasions where they were runners-up in 1992, 2010 and 2015.

With the Super Eagles failing to qualify for the tournament, Okocha is tipping Ghana to win it this time.

''I have declared my support for the Black Stars since the Super Eagles will be absent in next years tournament, I will entreat the Black Stars to make all Ghanaians proud in next years tournament considering the long wait and they should focus on tournament despite their poor start to the 2018 World Cup campaign,'' Okocha said.

http://ghanasoccernet.com/nigeria-legend-okocha-backs-ghana-to-win-afcon-2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:55pm On Dec 20, 2016

Nigeria legend Austin Okocha urges John Obi Mikel to leave Chelsea

Nigeria legend Austin Okocha has urged compatriot John Obi Mikel to seek a new challenge away from Chelsea.

The 29-year-old has struggled to break into the Blues first team this season and he is ready to find a new club.

The Nigerian international has struggled to command regular playing time under manager Antonio Conte.

And Austin 'Jay Jay' Okocha has advised the midfielder to look for a new club away from Stamford Bridge.

"In my personal view I think he must seek a new challenge elsewhere so he can enjoy his football," he said

"What he is going through at the moment is the worse thing that could happen to a player and I urge him to move on."

Marseille have been heavily linked with the Nigerian as they are ready to splash the cash this January, thanks to money made available by new owner Frank McCourt.

http://ghanasoccernet.com/nigeria-legend-austin-okocha-urges-john-obi-mikel-to-leave-chelsea

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:11pm On Dec 20, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

How can you say leave Kelechi Iheanacho out of the discussion when that is what the debate is about? I said, because of the coaches and facilities at Manchester City, Iheanacho should go there, instead of FC Porto.

I also highlighted Pellegrini's history if grooming youngsters and why it will benefit Iheanacho.

So saying leave Iheanacho means you are missing the whole point safarigirl pointed out.

I have given you a list of youngsters City favored. Many of them worked with Vieira. Vieira had a successful stay at City.

I am not here to have an argument but to have a constructive discussion. I am talking strategically, holistically and generally.

Kelechi is not the focal point of my post and will not be. The fact that Vieira was the under 21 /reserve team coach, does not necessarily filter to the other age groups and or coaches.

It's the coaches who are mainly faceless that train with these boys day in and day out at different age groups that make the difference. Not one person called Vieira, I didn't think he was a great coach a good administrator and manager. I am not speaking from hearsay but first hand knowledge.

This is not a debate between individuals massaging egos. it is a collection of experiences and opinions for individuals to be informed on this forum.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:26pm On Dec 20, 2016
goldfish80:

Ndidi actually failed MRI test and was banned subsequently for the CAF U17 championship with 2 other Nigerian players. Ghana and Ivory coast lost some players too due to MRI failure.

You will be making a huge mistake believing that everyone who went straight to Europe from local academies are young.
My brother, Premier league and national league clubs at the end of each season call for an open camp, where players from different academies and amateur clubs come and try out. The lucky 4 or 5 get signed up, out of those 5 maybe only 1 actually got signed up on merit. The rest got singed up due to normal naija man know man runs, padi padi and sometimes players come to camp cluching letters from senators or house of rep members.
The hands of coaches and club managers are usually tied because these clubs are actually owned by state governments. Player with such recommendations are given preferential treatments and get contracts in the end. The other players (usually in their 100s) go back to their amateur clubs and academies and wait for next open screening or contacts from little teams in Asia and obscure countries in Europe.
The following year the cycle contines, in an infinite loop so to say.

All in all, you can have a player who have played for an academy or been within the amateur rankings for more than 7years before getting any sort of attention. A friend of mine who is a professional goal keeper told me that lukman Haruna came for screening 3 previous U17 sets before he was considered and made the captain in 2007.
Haruna went from the academy system in Nigeria straight to Monaco. Am sure you get the picture.

You deh talk true word make we no decieve ourselves.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:30pm On Dec 20, 2016
No be today this ting start.

I may have been born in the UK but I went to high school in Warri. I knew guys who went from school to school becoming almost landlords of the school, playing football. I even left them there a few years later they were playing Youth football at National level.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:25pm On Dec 20, 2016
komekn:
No be today this ting start.

I may have been born in the UK but I went to high school in Warri. I knew guys who went from school to school becoming almost landlords of the school, playing football. I even left them there a few years later they were playing Youth football at National level.
Alot of the so called academy players are as old as NPFL players,in some cases older than most NPFL players. I know for sure that Chisom Egbuchulam and Obinna Nwobodo are playing with their accurate ages or something close to their ages.
Some so called academy players are 7-10years older than them.
Its all about opportunities. Most players stay at the amateur level years before they blow.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:34pm On Dec 20, 2016
goldfish80:

Alot of the so called academy players are as old as NPFL players,in some cases older than most NPFL players. I know for sure that Chisom Egbuchulam and Obinna Nwobodo are playing with their accurate ages or something close to their ages.
Some so called academy players are 7-10years older than them.
Its all about opportunities. Most players stay at the amateur level for years before they blow.

You are correct but that is why players are tested to reduce the cheating.

Many players are dropped due to MRI screening.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2016
komekn:

I am not here to have an argument but to have a constructive discussion. I am talking strategically, holistically and generally.

Kelechi is not the focal point of my post and will not be. The fact that Vieira was the under 21 /reserve team coach, does not necessarily filter to the other age groups and or coaches.

It's the coaches who are mainly faceless that train with these boys day in and day out at different age groups that make the difference. Not one person called Vieira, I didn't think he was a great coach a good administrator and manager. I am not speaking from hearsay but first hand knowledge.

This is not a debate between individuals massaging egos. it is a collection of experiences and opinions for individuals to be informed on this forum.

You are changing the topic of the discussion. Iheanacho was a bright promising player. Which was the best option to harness his potential. Definitely, because of the academy structure, the ambition of the club and with coaches like Viera and Rodolfo Borrell - the first Barcelona coach to train Lionel Messi and one of Raheem Sterling's most influential mentors during his period at Liverpool, City was the best choice.

That was what I mentioned and that was why you tried countering. If you have a problem with the grooming of younger players, that is another debate. Not this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:43pm On Dec 20, 2016
tbaba1234:

You are correct but that is why players are tested to reduce the cheating.

Many players are dropped due to MRI screening.
MRI is just papering over the cracks. To tackle this problem head-on, the Nff need to establish a database for all players in the country from the amateur level up to the pro level.
Our football must not start from U17.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:47pm On Dec 20, 2016
goldfish80:

MRI is just papering over the cracks. To tackle this problem head-on, the Nff need to establish a database for all players in the country from the amateur level up to the pro level.
Our football must not start from U17.

It does not. NFL actually has an under 13 and under 15 program. Players like Chidera Ezeh, Awoniyi, iheanacho are products.

But more can still be done.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) ... (16120) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Philosopher1979, KpagoGIN(m), semid4lyfe(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.