Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,729 members, 7,851,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:01 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (544) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11872842 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (541) (542) (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bash92(m): 12:53pm On Feb 09, 2017
Kog45:
True talk but do u think Busquets w make it at Chelsea coz Chelsea as a club from d onset always go for powerful midfielder e.g.Makelele,Essien,Diarra,Kante,Matic,i can say only Mikel was different in his approach and positional play.

I don't believe Busquets w make it at Chelsea coz at chelsea u must have d strength but i can tell u Mikel w be highly successful at Barcelona coz he has d flair that suit Barca style.
Remove Essien from that list o. Essien never play as defensive midfielder for Chelsea but as box to box central midfielder.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:54pm On Feb 09, 2017
PietroRico:
You lot are a special bunch and I love the passion you guys have for Nigerian football, I really do.
But this has to be the only place where anyone can call Mikel world class and not be beheaded grin.. You are taking this patriotism thing a tad too far

Almost all the points against have been made, no need for redundancy but I'm only going to chip this in.
A world class player would walk into 90% of teams Starting 11, without breaking a sweat.
How many teams would peak Mikel have walked into?

You think so!!!

Mourinho did not give Kevin De Bruyne a chance despite him being high quality. Guardiola let Ronaldinho go despite his quality. Ancelotti dropped Rivaldo on the bench despite him being the former World best. I doubt Selection is the ideal criteria to judge talent. The best way for me is impact in the history of the game. Mikel made a great one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:55pm On Feb 09, 2017
You said if Oriol could bench mikel... Then how could mikel be world class... smiley

I replied saying, How could Pepe also be world class when Varane kept him out of the first XI for a good period under Mourinho... smiley

And Pepe made Sir Joseph1013's world class list... grin

princesuko:

Think that was when Pepe had that Long term Injury.

No where did I say Varane was World Class neither was Mikel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:55pm On Feb 09, 2017
KELECHI IHEANACHO WILL FIGHT BACK AT MANCHESTER CITY - ROHR

Kelechi Iheanacho will fight back at Manchester City - Rohr
Kelechi Iheanacho scores for Manchester City
by Staff Reporter
Thursday Feb 09, 2017. 07:52
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has backed youngster Kelechi Iheanacho to fight back to serious reckoning at Premier League side Manchester City after he was left of the squad for several weeks.

Iheanacho, 20, last played for City on January 15 as a late sub in a 4-0 loss at Everton.

This season, he has scored four goals in 15 appearances in the Premier League.

And Rohr has now said he believes the former Flying Eagles star will fight his way to the City first-team squad despite the arrival of Brazil star Gabriel Jesus.

“I am sure Kelechi will come back to this team,” assured Rohr.

“He’s a fighter, he has a good fighting spirit. This player is a good athlete and he has a good mind.

“I have spoken with him and he will come back.

“He’s a young player, so sometimes he plays, sometimes he doesn’t.

“And for a big club like Manchester City, you can’t play all the time.

“I believe he will come back to play for City again.”

Under Rohr, Iheanacho has flourished at full international level – he scored in the first two matches of the Franco-German coach, against Tanzania and Zambia.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/871250232?-21310:8643:0

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:57pm On Feb 09, 2017
PietroRico:
they definitely won't be battling relegation...

All the players that played well last year are playing badly. Kante can't do it by himself. Mahrez is a shadow of himself, Vardy is not the same, the defense not as organized.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:59pm On Feb 09, 2017
to be fair that optimism is not totally misplaced. man for man as at this present moment nigeria has better players than cameroon in most positions based on the prestige of the clubs our players are in right now but yes individual talent maketh not a team that said if senegal had been more clinical in front of goal we won't be having this conversation

irrefragable:
I don't have the time to argue football with anyone because most times you don't achieve anything and it usually leads to insult. An average Nigerian's idea of world class is just a bit above average in the world stage that's why we hype our own too much here.

A lot of you are already tipping Nigeria to get an upper hand in the two - game encounter with Cameroon just like you did against Egypt in the nations cup qualifier. Let me tell you that game is a 50-50 chance which could swing either way even if Cameroon hadn't qualified from the group stage in the AFCON.

I followed this thread earlier and i saw some people write off Cameroon from getting to the final of the tournament. I LAUGHED. there is no way you could write off any of Egypt, Ghana, Cameroon and Nigeria as not being favorite to lift the afcon anytime even if their players are playing with half-leg. It's like writing off Brazil in the world Cup or writing off sevilla in the uefa cup. All I'm saying is some teams do feel it's their birthright to win the trophy in a particular tournament and it's stupid to write off that team even if you feel they are weak.

So what I'm saying is 1. MIKEL IS NOT WORLD CLASS (PERHARPS ALMOST) 2.THE GAME NIG VS CAM IS 50-50(NO FAVOURITE, COULD SWING EITHER WAY)

All in all, like i said i don't argue football nothing good ever comes out of it and this is just my opinion. Everybody is welcome to his /her own opinion.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:59pm On Feb 09, 2017
joseph1013:

This is a disappointing comment. Busquets is irreplaceable in the Barcelona team. Busquets gives some of the most difficult kind of passes that break opposition lines. He is widely acknowledged as the best defensive midfielder in the world. That's what TheGoodJoe was saying about defensive midfielders. Because they are not flamboyant, their roles tend to be underplayed.

You believe the way he breaks down opposition plays will not thrive in a team like Juventus and Chelsea?

I agree with you here. Busquets is an artist of the defensive midfield. He actually was the platform that Iniesta and Xavi used to dominate games. Despite the numerous praises Sergio Busquets gets, I do not think he will ever get the kind of praises he deserves because he does not play a flamboyant role. Busquets is one of the best gifts to football by the footballing gods and his impact is immense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:00pm On Feb 09, 2017
Rohr said they play good football in China and if that be the case then recall Obafemi Martins. grin

Rohr: Mikel, Ighalo Better Off In China Than Chelsea, Watford Benches

By Kayode Ogundare:
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has okayed the recent transfers of captain Mikel Obi as well as striker Odion Ighalo to the Chinese Super League as a good development which will positively rub off on the senior national team when the qualifiers for the AFCON 2019 and World Cup 2018 kick off in June and August respectively.

Rohr, addressing the transfers to the cash-rich but relatively inferior quality Chinese League, dismissed fears that it could affect the form and performance of the Super Eagles stars.
laimed that going to China was a far better option than sitting on the bench at Chelsea and Watford respectively.
“The first thing to note is that these guys were not playing at all in their former clubs and now that they have got new clubs it means they will be playing regularly," Rohr said in Sagamu where he watched a Nigeria Professional Football League match between Remo Stars and Niger Tornadoes on Wednesday.
"This is good for the Super Eagles and for our aspirations to be at the World Cup. Playing in China is certainly better than sitting on the bench in their former clubs. As professionals I expect them to raise their game as they have been doing even when not playing regularly. “

The German also debunked insinuations about the quality of the Chinese league by claiming that the recruitment of high-profile players has seen the quality of the league improve dramatically over the last few years.

Rorh added: “They play good football in China now. It’s no longer the exotic football they used to play. Now they play ‘real’ football there. They have a real football league with very good players from all over the world and I’m happy that our captain has been able to secure a very good contract. " Now he gets to play regularly and he’s also the captain of his team. I’m also happy for Ighalo because he will get to play and score plenty of goals.”
Mikel and Ighalo made January transfers to Tianjin Teda and Changchun Yatai respectively after seeing little or no action with their former English Premier League sides.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/871261804?-21310:8643:0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:00pm On Feb 09, 2017
A Long time ago on one of our threads..... A moniker remarked, "WHEN WATCHING BARCELONA I HAVE OBSERVED THAT YOU WON'T SEE THE EFFECTS OF BUSQUETS IF YOU WATCH THE REST OF THE BARCA TEAM ON DISPLAY BUT WHEN YOU CLOSELY WATCH AND OBSERVE BUSQUETS, THEN YOU SEE THE WHOLE GAME

Same could also be said of Mikel while at Chelsea... #fact

Na wa oooo.....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:02pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
You said if Oriol could bench mikel... Then how could mikel be world class... smiley

I replied saying, How could Pepe also be world class when Varane kept him out of the first XI for a good period under Mourinho... smiley

You people don shade me finish. Make una dey remove them one by one. I go just dey look all of una. undecided undecided undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:03pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I have made enough points explaining why Mikel is World Class. If you can disprove the points or say that they do not make him World Class then I will listen. Mikel was key to a successful Chelsea dynasty.

Has there been anytime when you could Comfortably say "Mikel will walk into Any Team in this World", He hasn't been better than Busquets,Alonso,Schweinsteger,Scholes,Pirlo that's without thinking.

I am pretty Sure Ramirez was key in that Champions League win, was he a world Class Player?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:06pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
A Long time ago on one of our threads..... A moniker remarked, "WHEN WATCHING BARCELONA I HAVE OBSERVED THAT YOU WON'T SEE THE EFFECTS OF BUSQUETS IF YOU WATCH THE REST OF THE BARCA TEAM ON DISPLAY BUT WHEN YOU CLOSELY WATCH AND OBSERVE BUSQUETS, THEN YOU SEE THE WHOLE GAME

Na wa oooo.....

You guys have started again, Busquets is Widely Regarded as World Class player, that's why Barça don't play well without him, Same Can't be said of Mikel, Show me When football Fans and Players(who are not his teammates) have regarded Mikel as a world Class Player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:09pm On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

You guys have started again, Busquets is Widely Regarded as World Class player, that's why Barça don't play well without him, Same Can't be said of Mikel, Show me When football Fans and Players(who are not his teammates) have regarded Mikel as a world Class Player.

Iniesta

” I get asked a lot who the best player I’ve faced is. It’s John Obi Mikel. I only wish I was half the the footballer he is”, Iniesta posted on his official twitter handle @andreiniesta8.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:09pm On Feb 09, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin

Shade?? Me shade you?? Mbanu... I jux kant try it...

You na baba naaa.... Baba nla grin

joseph1013:

You people don shade me finish. Make una dey remove them one by one. I go just dey look all of una. undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:10pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Well I wasn't the One that brought Analogy into the Argument, You Pro-Mikel isn't world Class player did when you said he has Outlived all Competitions In Chelsea hence my Example.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:10pm On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

Has there been anytime when you could Comfortably say "Mikel will walk into Any Team in this World", He hasn't been better than Busquets,Alonso,Schweinsteger,Scholes,Pirlo that's without thinking.

I am pretty Sure Ramirez was key in that Champions League win, was he a world Class Player?

I always rated Mikel. Xabi Alonso was in the EPL when over three seasons, Mikel was the pass master of Chelsea. A coach might decide to drop Mikel because he does not like his style, however, Mikel had a lot of impact. Leave all this walk into squad.

Saying that Ramirez was key to the Champions League win over Mikel, shows that you did not follow the game closely. Mikel was the king that night. The gods of football held a beacon of light over his head and Mikel shone for the World to see. It was him. John Mikel Obi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:11pm On Feb 09, 2017
Iniesta on mikel

” I get asked a lot who the best player I’ve faced is. It’s John Obi Mikel. I only wish I was half the the footballer he is”, Iniesta posted on his official twitter handle @andreiniesta8.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:12pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Na wa oooo.....

IF YOU WATCH THE GAME, YOU DO NOT SEE BUSQUETS BUT IF YOU WATCH BUSQUETS, YOU SEE THE GAME.

I can not remember who said that but that was a classic statement.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:12pm On Feb 09, 2017
tbaba1234:

Iniesta

And Ya expect Me to Believe that, You must think me gullible grin. Show me any Reputable link which is not from Nigeria Proving this qoute angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:14pm On Feb 09, 2017
Chaaiiii.. Sir Tbaba1234... God go bless you biko... I have been looking for that Iniesta comment on Mikel.... smiley

Waiting for those who wants to argue with INIESTA..... grin

tbaba1234:

Iniesta

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:14pm On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

And Ya expect Me to Believe that, You must think me gullible grin. Show me any Reputable link which is not from Nigeria Proving this qoute angry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:14pm On Feb 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
Iniesta on mikel

Leave, that Barcelona generation knew and understood football deeply.

One of the best posts of this thread. I and Yara Yara throway salute.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:15pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I always rated Mikel. Xabi Alonso was in the EPL when over three seasons, Mikel was the pass master of Chelsea. A coach might decide to drop Mikel because he does not like his style, however, Mikel had a lot of impact. Leave all this walk into squad.

Saying that Ramirez was key to the Champions League win over Mikel, shows that you did not follow the game closely. Mikel was the king that night. The gods of football held a beacon of light over his head and Mikel shone for the World to see. It was him. John Mikel Obi.

You mean the Guy that Scored the Important Goal that Sent them to the final is Less Important? the One who provided the assist to Drogba is Less Important?. This is nothing but you being highly Sentimental.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:17pm On Feb 09, 2017

princesuko:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:18pm On Feb 09, 2017
tbaba1234:

You do know that that Translation is wrong? undecided. Show a translation from Google Translate or Provide a Reputable link, there is No way Iniesta says that and it doesn't gather More Coverage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:20pm On Feb 09, 2017
I think if I remember correctly... The moniker who uttered this legendary statement which can also be attributed to Mikel at Chelsea..... grin

I believe if it is not You, Sir Joseph1013 or Sir Tbaba1234...

It is definitely... Sir Goldfish80.... smiley

Check if I am wrong but I am 80% certain that I am right. smiley

TheGoodJoe:

IF YOU WATCH THE GAME, YOU DO NOT SEE BUSQUETS BUT IF YOU WATCH BUSQUETS, YOU SEE THE GAME.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:21pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Still doesn't Prove anything. There is no way to know if the Translation is correct.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:25pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Vincente Del Bosque
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
Plss be patient... Lemme take a screenshot with my android on this... From google translate itself.... grin

But I typed it into google translate "spanish to english" and I saw this:

"I've been asked a lot that he's the best player I've ever faced. It's John Mikel Obi. I wish I was only half as a footballer."

Screenshot coming soonest... smiley

**Modified....**

I am typing this with my BB... Tried using my android to upload the screenshot but don't know why the network ish persists now for my android... sad

But everyone can confirm the translation for themselves from google translate. smiley

princesuko:

You do know that that Translation is wrong? undecided. Show a translation from Google Translate or Provide a Reputable link, there is No way Iniesta says that and it doesn't gather More Coverage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

The tweet was in 2012. A long time ago. I only brought it up because you asked.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
So Sir Goldfish coined it from Del Bosque's words... smiley cool....
joseph1013:

Vincente Del Bosque
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
Iniesta on mikel

Are you sure of this? I can't find the quote on twitter search.

(1) (2) (3) ... (541) (542) (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: LoverOfPussy, Jefersoun and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.