Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,497 members, 7,830,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (546) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11756155 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) ... (16184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:25pm On Feb 09, 2017
I hope you know Mikel floored Yaya Toure in that Camp nou match in midfield.... smiley

I remember that game so well. Mikel was everywhere in midfield in the holding role that day. He stifled the usual influence of the Barca midfield marvels... smiley

princesuko:

Seems I Mixed-Up the Scenarios but My Point still Stands. The First Leg when Mikel was playing, Barça tore Chelsea a new one, they Could have Won 4-0 and Nobody would blink an eye.

I don't seem to remember vivid details of the match but I thought Belleti was covering for the Full backs especially Cole who was always out Messi. The blame should go to Essien not Belleti.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
Oh my goodness shocked

I have committed a faux pas... shocked

I mixed up the mentions..... Wow!

I was getting so many mentions and I was doing something here... I thought I was addressing Irrefragable.... shocked

This is weird...

Plsss kindly accept my apology.... Was not intentional... Boyyy!!!!

PietroRico:
Wtf are you on about? From where/whom did you get the above quote?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PietroRico(m): 2:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Oh my goodness shocked

I have committed a faux pas... shocked

I mixed up the mentions..... Wow!

I was getting so many mentions and I was doing something here... I thought I was addressing Irrefragable.... shocked

This is weird...

Plsss kindly accept my apology.... Was not intentional... Boyyy!!!!

lol...Alright
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 2:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I hope you know Mikel floored Yaya Toure in that Camp nou match in midfield.... smiley

I remember that game so well. Mikel was everywhere in midfield in the holding role that day. He stifled the usual influence of the Barca midfield marvels... smiley

Our argument was about Whether Mikel was World Class not whether he was good in a Match.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
Just look at me.... Mixing up Irrefragable's comments and PietroRico's.... How classic of me! grin

Wasn't intentional honestly.... smiley

Just that I was juggling a few tasks offline and trying to reply so many mentions....

please... Gbaram ooo... E ma bi nu ooo...

Sir Pietrorico... I didn't know honestly.... sad Abeg no vex...

**picks up gloves again... Ehen... Yara Yara pls where were we? Okay we quoted Princesuko on that issue last ba? Okay.... Ehmm... Sir Joseph have finished displaying his graphic skills ba? Okay... **looks around** grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
**swings my gloves at his left cheek**

And about "world class", Iniesta agrees with me...... grin (but so also does the records and stats and achievements of mikel's career)

Also... Please don't water down that game at camp nou... It is one of Mikel's greatest nights biko.... grin

princesuko:

Our argument was about Whether Mikel was World Class not whether he was good in a Match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

**picks up gloves again... Ehen... Yara Yara pls where were we? Okay we quoted Princesuko on that issue last ba? Okay.... Ehmm... Sir Joseph have finished displaying his graphic skills ba? Okay... **looks around** grin

It wouldn't hurt you, if ya Just proclaim that You made a Wrong Judgement and Say Mikel Is Not a World Class Player. grin

Let's Put this Ridiculous Claims to Bed angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PietroRico(m): 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Just look at me.... Mixing up Irrefragable's comments and PietroRico's.... How classic of me! grin

Wasn't intentional honestly.... smiley

Just that I was juggling a few tasks offline and trying to reply so many mentions....

please... Gbaram ooo... E ma bi nu ooo...

Sir Pietrorico... I didn't know honestly.... sad Abeg no vex...

it happens. It's ok.

Not gonna lie I was very close to snapping... But it's all good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2017
**did you see the punch I landed just now?** angry

princesuko:

It wouldn't hurt you, if ya Just proclaim that You made a Wrong Judgement and Say Mikel Is Not a World Class Player. grin

Let's Put this Ridiculous Claims to Bed angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
**swings my gloves at his left cheek**

And about "world class", Iniesta agrees with me...... grin (but so also does the records and stats and achievements of mikel's career)

Also... Please don't water down that game at camp nou... It is one of Mikel's greatest nights biko.... grin

Sir Joseph Post suggest Otherwise.

Even Cleverly was MoTm(bar Rooney) against Arsenal tongue. He made Almighty Arsenal look shit so he is a World Class Player grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 2:46pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
**did you see the punch I landed just now?** angry

Sorry ya hit like a Lady tongue. Thought ya were rubbing my cheeks tongue

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:48pm On Feb 09, 2017
joseph1013:
I created one for you, SuperNerd. tongue
You wicked.
Lol.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:51pm On Feb 09, 2017
Chaaaiiiiiii..... How dare you?? You mention cleverly in this discussion.!!!!

I knew it would come to this.... I give up...

So much for wanting to disbelieve Iniesta and other recognised figures in the game who acknowledge Mikel on the continent and in europe.

Chaaiiiii...

princesuko:

Sir Joseph Post suggest Otherwise.

Even Cleverly was MoTm(bar Rooney) against Arsenal tongue. He made Almighty Arsenal look shit so he is a World Class Player grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:55pm On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

Seems I Mixed-Up the Scenarios but My Point still Stands. The First Leg when Mikel was playing, Barça tore Chelsea a new one, they Could have Won 4-0 and Nobody would blink an eye.

I don't seem to remember vivid details of the match but I thought Belleti was covering for the Full backs especially Cole who was always out Messi. The blame should go to Essien not Belleti.

Belletti also plays defensive midfield and in that game, Hiddink brought Belletti to play the midfield role. Not long before Iniesta's goal, Belletti had a strike at goal. If my memory serves me right, the shot crashed at the cross bar. Time was running out and Belletti was going forward, instead of shielding the defence.

In the first game, Mikel performed very well and caused Iniesta problems. There was no chance of winning 4-0 because Chelsea was disciplined defensively and it was hard to break down the resolute defence. Chelsea players even bullied the Barca players in that game. That was why Guardiola introduced Seydou Keita in the second game to give Barcelona more steel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:56pm On Feb 09, 2017
To the Super Eagles, I think Ndidi has earned the right to bench Onazi. If he keeps developing, he will find himself at a big club soon.

My Eagles midfield will be Etebo, Ndidi and Mikel.

It appears Rohr does not rate Esiti, Mikel Agu has been in terrific form this season and should get a look in.

As things stand, our weakest position might be in attack especially with Kelechi's status. Ideye and Ighalo have flattered to deceive. I hope Isaac success can have a run without injury. He could be the solution especially for the Cameroon game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:57pm On Feb 09, 2017
Me?? Rubbing ya cheeks?? For what kwanu?? Am I gay??

Mehn... Maybe it's because your nerve endings have been totally compromised in your facial region but these are the punches I gave you..... angry

And this... angry

princesuko:

Sorry ya hit like a Lady tongue. Thought ya were rubbing my cheeks tongue

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:58pm On Feb 09, 2017
Na mind Oga Joseph1013.... angry Him dey use style dey advertise him graphic skills.... grin grin grin tongue

Bia Boss and Honorable Egbon, Sir Joseph1013... I just dey look you... angry

terzurum5:

You wicked.
Lol.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:00pm On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

Essien was back. We are talking of time running out, Chelsea leading the best playing club side in football history and Belletti was not in position to help defend. That is what defending in numbers bring. A cover for mistakes. If Mikel was on that field at that time, he would concentrate on seeing out the game by shielding the defence.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:02pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Me?? Rubbing ya cheeks?? For what kwanu?? Am I gay??

Mehn... Maybe it's because your nerve endings have been totally compromised in your facial region but these are the punches I gave you..... angry

And this... angry

If you damage his face, you will marry his wife for him. I am warning you.
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 3:12pm On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

Lolz how Convenient for You to Count Eto time In Epl when he was Clearly past his Prime. Call me when Mikel is a Key Player in 2 treble Winning squad.
laughable.

Then why bring Eto up when you know exactly what. My pov is? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:16pm On Feb 09, 2017
Your patience is most admirable..... Thanks so much. I never realised until the third post.... Gosh!!!!! I am so so sorry..... sad

Bia Oga Irrefragable.... Those assumptions were for you ooo.... And you say you don't like argument. So I no fix match with you ba? grin

Okay naa... Make we leave am like that... smiley

Nice meeting you two here though... Oga Irrefragable and Sir PietroRico smiley smiley smiley

PietroRico:
it happens. It's ok.

Not gonna lie I was very close to snapping... But it's all good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
I thought his wife said "for better and for WORSE"..... sad sad sad

Well, Don't worry Sir GoodJoe.. I will take him to the finest hospitals I know and have his face fixed again before he returns home. I am kind like that..... That's the benefits of getting into the ring with me coz I hardly get into the Ring.... Not when legends like You, Sir TheGoodJoe are around.... grin

TheGoodJoe:

If you damage his face, you will marry his wife for him. I am warning you.
grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
Isaac's power and physical strengths will surely be needed against a side like Cameroun. smiley

I remember in my personal ratings of the camerounians after their afcon triumph saying I honestly wouldn't fancy Iheanacho coming up against Ngadjui Ngedeu (no.5). Nacho may outpace and outfox him but physically, Nacho will suffer against Ngadjui and Teiku... Isaac's power will be needed and he is not all power and physicality as he is also technically gifted unlike Ighalo and Ideye and even Kayode....

On Onazi and Ndidi... This has to be the fiercest battle in our team at the moment. I wish for more healthy titanic battles like this in other positions.... smiley

Although on the wings we have shaa but Moses and Iwobi (if he's not playing centrally) top others for now....

In defence, I hope Otigba can come in and give Ekong a fight. Hope Omeruo steps up too. Balogun looks like the leader of that defence... Almost like an untouchable for now.

Other positions... Well... As time goes on, the competitions will get hotter and fiercer...

tbaba1234:
To the Super Eagles, I think Ndidi has earned the right to bench Onazi. If he keeps developing, he will find himself at a big club soon.

My Eagles midfield will be Etebo, Ndidi and Mikel.

It appears Rohr does not rate Esiti, Mikel Agu has been in terrific form this season and should get a look in.

As things stand, our weakest position might be in attack especially with Kelechi's status. Ideye and Ighalo have flattered to deceive. I hope Isaac success can have a run without injury. He could be the solution especially for the Cameroon game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
Iniesta on mikel

” I get asked a lot who the best player I’ve faced is. It’s John Obi Mikel. I only wish I was half the the footballer he is”, Iniesta posted on his official twitter handle @andreiniesta8.

I humbly nominate this post for Comment Of The Year 2017...in case we start dashing awards this year.

Worthy nomination *standing ovation*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:45pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Isaac's power and physical strengths will surely be needed against a side like Cameroun. smiley

I remember in my personal ratings of the camerounians after their afcon triumph saying I honestly wouldn't fancy Iheanacho coming up against Ngadjui Ngedeu (no.5). Nacho may outpace and outfox him but physically, Nacho will suffer against Ngadjui and Teiku... Isaac's power will be needed and he is not all power and physicality as he is also technically gifted unlike Ighalo and Ideye and even Kayode....

On Onazi and Ndidi... This has to be the fiercest battle in our team at the moment. I wish for more healthy titanic battles like this in other positions.... smiley

Although on the wings we have shaa but Moses and Iwobi (if he's not playing centrally) top others for now....

In defence, I hope Otigba can come in and give Ekong a fight. Hope Omeruo steps up too. Balogun looks like the leader of that defence... Almost like an untouchable for now.

Other positions... Well... As time goes on, the competitions will get hotter and fiercer...

Isaac? If those Cameroonians touch am small, uncle will break and be stretchered off for another three months

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 3:47pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

And please, Ngolo Kante is not World Class. He just started his career.

Thank u SO VERY MUCH my broda, while others will say some people's classification of Mikel as world class is loose... So what will u call Kante If d guy can last half of the years Mikel spent at Chelsea, then I'll call him a world class grin grin grin beat it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:48pm On Feb 09, 2017
Hahahahahahahahaha...... Safarigirl... smiley Howdy?

Oya calm down first.... I speak of a fit Isaac abeg... Not the "glass-legs" Isaac... Loollll

Come on, Isaac is a strong lad. He's just been unfortunate with injuries of late. He's back now and hopefully he gets a strong end to the season which should convince Rohr to call him up again after the last call-up failed due to Injury concerns.

But shaa ooo... The Camerounian defenders have the genes of "meanness" in them... Always no-nonsense and unwelcoming..

safarigirl:
Isaac? If those Cameroonians touch am small, uncle will break and be stretchered off for another three months
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:26pm On Feb 09, 2017
Nigeria Rise Nine Places In FIFA Ranking; Cameroon Jump 29 Spots

The Super Eagles of Nigeria moved up nine places from 50th to 41st position in the latest FIFA world ranking, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

The ranking was released on Thursday on FIFA's
official website.

The Super Eagles are now seventh in Africa.
Newly crowned African champions and Super
Eagles 2018 World Cup qualifying group
opponents Cameroon's Indomitable Lions are
among the highest movers as they jumped 29
places to 33rd in the world.

The Super Eagles' other World Cup qualifying
opponents Algeria and Zambia didn't fare better
as Algeria dropped 11 places to 50th, while
Zambia slipped three places to 91st.

Also the Super Eagles 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying group foes, South Africa, Seychelles and Libya all slipped.

South Africa dropped two places to 62nd, Libya
fell two spots to 92nd and Seychelles one place to 186th.

Egypt who lost to Cameroon in the final of the just concluded AFCON are Africa's highest ranked team as they now occupy the 23rd position in the world from 35th.

Meanwhile, the top five ranked teams in the world all maintained their positions.

Argentina remain number one, Brazil are second, Germany are third, Chile fourth and Belgium fifth.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nigeria-rise-nine-places-fifa-ranking-cameroon-jump-29-spots/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:40pm On Feb 09, 2017
NIGERIA WILL ELIMINATE BAFANA FOR AFCON 2019, ALSO BEAT CAMEROON - ROHR

Bafana Bafana

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has said he expects his team to go past South Africa at home in June on their way to qualifying for AFCON 2019 and also edge past Cameroon in World Cup qualifiers beginning in August.

Rohr’s Eagles are drawn against South Africa,
Libya and Seychelles for a place at the 2019
AFCON in Cameroon.

Nigeria welcome Bafana Bafana in June to get the AFCON qualifiers going.

“Nigeria cannot miss the AFCON again because
it’s a big tournament to celebrate African football. I hope we will be there at the next tournament,” he said.

“But to do that we have to eliminate South Africa, who are a good team.

“We need a good preparation and organisation.
We will have two friendly games next month and we have the possibility to test some new players and be together.”

He also spoke on the World Cup double header
against Cameroon billed for August 28 in Uyo and September 2 in Limbe.

“The AFCON was a good tournament in Gabon
and there were some good teams. The best team won the competition. We are interested in this team because we play them in the World Cup qualifiers,” he said.

“We’re happy for Cameroon, but we have to beat the African champions.

“But our game will only be in six months and a lot of things could happen during that time.”

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/686584/Nigeria-will-eliminate-Bafana-for-AFCON-2019-also-beat-Cameroon-Rohr

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:04pm On Feb 09, 2017
Official : Manchester City Loan Out Talented
Nigerian Midfielder Nwakali

Norwegian Tippeligaen club Sogndal Fotball have announced the loan signing of Nigeria youth international Chidiebere Nwakali from Manchester City.

The 20-year-old central midfielder has penned a contract that will keep him at Sogndal Fotball
until August 2017.

The deal has ended speculations about his future, with earlier reports linking him with possible moves to Germany, Netherlands and France.

“There were several clubs that wanted him, but
he chose us. We see clearly that he is at a high
level, ” sporting director Håvard Flo said to the
official website.

“This is a serious and ambitious boy. He is a
special and exciting talent.”

Nwakali spent the whole of last season at another Norwegian club IK Start, and appeared 22 times in the league, scoring 3 goals.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22012

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
[quote author=tbaba1234 post=53556972][/quote]
The same Iniesta who also said Gerrard was the toughest opponent he ever faced?? That's like saying because Mat Hummels said Giroud was the toughest opponent he faced, then that automatically makes Giroud world class. We've seen the great Pele praise Godwin Okpara...does that mean he's world class?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 5:23pm On Feb 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Is Balogun injured?

It's been a while he made his club match day squad.

I hope all is fine with him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (543) (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) ... (16184) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.