Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,934 members, 7,852,141 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5575) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11878127 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5572) (5573) (5574) (5575) (5576) (5577) (5578) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:22pm On Mar 05, 2019
Danielnino00:
Mfon Udoh leading the race...

I must say that I am truly blessed to get to watch Mfon play almost every week. His pace and skill set are very underrated if you ask me but so is his character, the man is a lion that will run through a wall to win a ball game.

Special shout out to Yaya Kone. I still back my idea of having a all-star game between our best home based and foreign imports. We need to do more to promote those guys because it puts a better light on our league to know that we have quality foreign players plying their trade here.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

I must say that I am truly blessed to get to watch Mfon play almost every week. His pace and skill set are very underrated if you ask me but so is his character, the man is a lion that will run through a wall to win a ball game.

Special shout out to Yaya Kone. I still back my idea of having a all-star game between our best home based and foreign imports. We need to do more to promote those guys because it puts a better light on our league to know that we have quality foreign players plying their trade here.

That's a good one there. I think the season when Emem Uduok left Nigeria was when he had a bad injury which prevented him from leaving too. Also he might have been honest with his age and not gone to barbers shop to cut off some. I hope he gets even a north African or SA team pay for his services so he can make small money for his talents.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:36pm On Mar 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

That Yaya Kone ...

Where's he from ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

That Yaya Kone ...

Where's he from ?

He is Chriskels broda. Most likely from his village whether real or adopted.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:45pm On Mar 05, 2019
Gernot Rohr giving Kalu support through the ordeal.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:45pm On Mar 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

That Yaya Kone ...

Where's he from ?

Ivory Coast
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:04pm On Mar 05, 2019
Schalke make approach for Liverpool youngster
2019-03-05T16:48:11Z 17:48
Schalke are one of several clubs to have made an approach to sign Liverpool striker Taiwo Awoniyi.
The Nigeria U-23 international, who signed signed a five-year contract with the Reds last summer, has scored six goals in seven games since joining Belgian side Mouscron on loan in January.
The Reds have already fielded loan interest from French trio Metz, Nice and Toulouse, while Belgian side Club Brugge and German duo Hertha Berlin and Mainz have also monitored the forward.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 6:25pm On Mar 05, 2019
Taliban:

That moment when chriskel saw this comment.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2019
andrew444:
Schalke make approach for Liverpool youngster
2019-03-05T16:48:11Z 17:48
Schalke are one of several clubs to have made an approach to sign Liverpool striker Taiwo Awoniyi.
The Nigeria U-23 international, who signed signed a five-year contract with the Reds last summer, has scored six goals in seven games since joining Belgian side Mouscron on loan in January.
The Reds have already fielded loan interest from French trio Metz, Nice and Toulouse, while Belgian side Club Brugge and German duo Hertha Berlin and Mainz have also monitored the forward.

Sometime one has to take a step or two backward to be able to leap to the highest point. Most people saw this guy as a failure the moment he left Gent for lowly Mouscron. A certain komekn started mocking him that he will never be good enough for Liverpool or a championship club, bkus, to him, Solanke was a god. Today, who is the most rated and sort after? Most interesting thing about this news is that the said clubs aint just registering interests buh are making approaches. Remember the kinda clubs(middlesborough, Shifield Wednesday, Norwich, moribund Huddersfield) that fought for Solanke's siggy bfor he finally went to Bournemouth feeder team. Compare those clubs to what are queuing up to have Awo my boy.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:31pm On Mar 05, 2019
Taliban:

Lol mumu bwoy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2019
jieta:
That moment when chriskel saw this comment.

Lol no mind dem, if I talk now, dem go say I dey hype dem Francophone players. See as the boy dey tear our league apart with goals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:44pm On Mar 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

In the not too distant past I was in the same gathering with one of his ex-teammate from Enyimba [grin I can't describe the joy on the man's face when I recognized him]. The guy had no little praise for Mfon. He is very underrated all thanks to absent televisual and club branding/ambassadorship
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

Lol no mind dem, if I talk now, dem go say I dey hype dem Francophone players. See as the boy dey tear our league apart with goals

Le Grand Monsieur Christophe, you never fail to disappoint!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:46pm On Mar 05, 2019
If we got a full complement of our U23 players, we might be posing a big threat at the Olympics come 2020.

Check out this list of players;

Awoniyi - Mouscron
wanted by many top teams

Maja - Bordeaux

Osimhen - Charleroi and Milan bound

Odey - Zürich

Okereke - Spezia and Bundesliga bound

Dennis Bonaventure - Brugge and Bundesliga bound.

Chukwueze - Villarreal

Michael - bologna

Bashiru - ManCity and Atalanta bound

Ovie Ejaria - Reading

Ebere Eze - QPR

Gong - Vittesse

Okoye - Dusseldorf

Okoroji - Freiburg

Chimezie - Hamburg

Ikouwem, Ozornwafor, Ogbu, Oremade, Yahaya, Bajric, Behruether et al, all eligible for the U23s.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 05, 2019
Sir congo sighted!!!! Longest time!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:53pm On Mar 05, 2019
Taliban:

That's a good one there. I think the season when Emem Uduok left Nigeria was when he had a bad injury which prevented him from leaving too. Also he might have been honest with his age and not gone to barbers shop to cut off some. I hope he gets even a north African or SA team pay for his services so he can make small money for his talents.

The good thing for him is that Akwa will sell in a heartbeat which was his problem with Enyimba. Plus he isn't exactly making peanuts right now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:54pm On Mar 05, 2019
Taliban:

Le Grand Monsieur Christophe, you never fail to disappoint!!!
Salutations monsieur. I never fail to disappoint? Review that statement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:58pm On Mar 05, 2019
Odunayaw:
In the not too distant past I was in the same gathering with one of his ex-teammate from Enyimba [grin I can't describe the joy on the man's face when I recognized him]. The guy had no little praise for Mfon. He is very underrated all thanks to absent televisual and club branding/ambassadorship

You knacked even nail on the head. Without any tv coverage all I have said only amounts to hearsay. I still feel each club should be affiliated with a local channel at least
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

The good thing for him is that Akwa will sell in a heartbeat which was his problem with Enyimba. Plus he isn't exactly making peanuts right now.

Are they paying him N20M? Don't forget football no get pension or retirement benefits. I want to believe the North Africans will pay a lot more than what akwa can pay. The elite players in SA makes like N10M a month like 400k SA rands. So for his talents he needs to make as much as he can make now that his legs can still run. Hoping he gets a suitor soon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:09pm On Mar 05, 2019
ChrisKels:
If we got a full complement of our U23 players, we might be posing a big threat at the Olympics come 2020.

Awoniyi - Mouscron
wanted by many top teams

Maja - Bordeaux

Odey - Zürich

Chukwueze - Villarreal

Michael - bologna

Ovie Ejaria - Reading

Ebere Eze - QPR

Gong - Vittesse

Okoye - Dusseldorf

Okoroji - Freiburg

Chimezie - Hamburg

Ikouwem, Ozornwafor, Ogbu, Oremade, Yahaya, Bajric, Behruether et al, all eligible for the U23s.

Unfortunately, the clubs won't release everyone

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:29pm On Mar 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

You knacked even nail on the head. Without any tv coverage all I have said only amounts to hearsay. I still feel each club should be affiliated with a local channel at least
The thing is, capital investment in Sports/match coverage and production(especially Live) is way above most media houses in Nigeria. Except Amateur videography doesn't put you off like me grin

One idea I have been nursing for a while is this;
Since NTA owns half of the Startimes franchise, how about pulling the weight of government (Ministry of Sports) to birth a deal where Startimes(Chinese half) raises funds for refurbishment of a channel, say NTA Sports 24 for coverage and production. It would first be test run for 2 seasons and would cover selected games live (say 3 per week) and host talk shows & highlights.

In the short term the league on screen (especially the matches that generate interest), thus forcing/encouraging sponsors/advertisers to approach since their brand can get to more eyes.
After the test run and positive feedbacks, its expected/hoped that Startimes/NTA would have brought Nigerians attention to their decoders riding on the league- short/medium term
As sales(of Decoders) increase they can then become TV(money) sponsors of the league and even Cup and the only way from there is up!

This is just a rough sketch of my idea, in the short term the clubs/league may only get interest(Which can increase ticket sales) and spotlight but in the long run the league,Channel & the decoder will profit big! Who knows it could run into other sports e.g Basketball, Athletics( All the National senior & youth games) etc..

Hindrance; Bureaucracy in Ministry (codename Dalung!), zero foresight

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:31pm On Mar 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

Awoniyi - Mouscron
wanted by many top teams

Maja - Bordeaux

Odey - Zürich

Chukwueze - Villarreal

Michael - bologna

Ovie Ejaria - Reading

Ebere Eze - QPR

Gong - Vittesse

Okoye - Dusseldorf

Okoroji - Freiburg

Chimezie - Hamburg

Our U23 could be very scary!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:36pm On Mar 05, 2019
Taliban:

Are they paying him N20M? Don't forget football no get pension or retirement benefits. I want to believe the North Africans will pay a lot more than what akwa can pay. The elite players in SA makes like N10M a month like 400k SA rands. So for his talents he needs to make as much as he can make now that his legs can still run. Hoping he gets a suitor soon.

Of course they don't but N200k a month should not be frowned upon either that's all I am saying. Plus happiness is more important than money. Mfon could have gone to any other club but chose to come back to his home town club. Even making loads of money will not guarantee u retire a rich man, u could squander it or invest in bad situations. That said I also pray he attracts a top club that will understand his value.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:37pm On Mar 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

Sometime one has to take a step or two backward to be able to leap to the highest point. Most people saw this guy as a failure the moment he left Gent for lowly Mouscron. A certain komekn started mocking him that he will never be good enough for Liverpool or a championship club, bkus, to him, Solanke was a god. Today, who is the most rated and sort after? Most interesting thing about this news is that the said clubs aint just registering interests buh are making approaches. Remember the kinda clubs(middlesborough, Shifield Wednesday, Norwich, moribund Huddersfield) that fought for Solanke's siggy bfor he finally went to Bournemouth feeder team. Compare those clubs to what are queuing up to have Awo my boy.

Agreed with what you said

I saw awoniyi as a failure in the German second division sha

But he has been a better player at Belgium ,schakle 04 no be small club o ,only the top 6 Epl teams are better than them at the moment

The price is 10 million pounds for awoniyi ,I prays he join schakle 04

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:40pm On Mar 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

Awoniyi - Mouscron
wanted by many top teams

Maja - Bordeaux

Odey - Zürich

Chukwueze - Villarreal

Michael - bologna

Ovie Ejaria - Reading

Ebere Eze - QPR

Gong - Vittesse

Okoye - Dusseldorf

Okoroji - Freiburg

Chimezie - Hamburg

Are you sure Milan will still come for osimhen ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Of course they don't but N200k a month should not be frowned upon either that's all I am saying. Plus happiness is more important than money. Mfon could have gone to any other club but chose to come back to his home town club. Even making loads of money will not guarantee u retire a rich man, u could squander it or invest in bad situations. That said I also pray he attracts a top club that will understand his value.

Is there like sign on bonus or a big one time payment, otherwise for a soccer player of his ability N200k per month is a shame and should be frowned upon, that's less than $700 a month!

In conclusion we have both landed at the same place, wishing him the best. But nna men happiness in poverty no easy o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:54pm On Mar 05, 2019
Taliban:

Is there like sign on bonus or a big one time payment, otherwise for a soccer player of his ability N200k per month is a shame and should be frowned upon, that's less than $700 a month!

In conclusion we have both landed at the same place, wishing him the best. But nna men happiness in poverty no easy o grin

Sorry I meant a week
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:58pm On Mar 05, 2019
Odunayaw:
The thing is, capital investment in Sports/match coverage and production(especially Live) is way above most media houses in Nigeria. Except Amateur videography doesn't put you off like me grin

One idea I have been nursing for a while is this;
Since NTA owns half of the Startimes franchise, how about pulling the weight of government (Ministry of Sports) to birth a deal where Startimes(Chinese half) raises funds for refurbishment of a channel, say NTA Sports 24 for coverage and production. It would first be test run for 2 seasons and would cover selected games live (say 3 per week) and host talk shows & highlights.

In the short term the league on screen (especially the matches that generate interest), thus forcing/encouraging sponsors/advertisers to approach since their brand can get to more eyes.
After the test run and positive feedbacks, its expected/hoped that Startimes/NTA would have brought Nigerians attention to their decoders riding on the league- short/medium term
As sales(of Decoders) increase they can then become TV(money) sponsors of the league and even Cup and the only way from there is up!

This is just a rough sketch of my idea, in the short term the clubs/league may only get interest(Which can increase ticket sales) and spotlight but in the long run the league,Channel & the decoder will profit big! Who knows it could run into other sports e.g Basketball, Athletics( All the National senior & youth games) etc..

Hindrance; Bureaucracy in Ministry (codename Dalung!), zero foresight

You are right but it seems we are not ready to build from the ground up. I just don't believe people would think they could sell a league not even on local TV. The situation is a disgrace
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:59pm On Mar 05, 2019
tbaba1234:
Gernot Rohr giving Kalu support through the ordeal.

Time and time again Gernot Rohr proves he is a top class human being.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:03pm On Mar 05, 2019
you forgot bukayo saka
Odunayaw:
Our U23 could be very scary!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:05pm On Mar 05, 2019
Schalke have made an approach to sign Taiwo Awoniyi, writes @neiljonesgoal

Schalke contacted Jurgen Klopp directly to ask about Awoniyi’s availability for a transfer this summer.

Liverpool would seek in excess of £10m (€11.5m) for a permanent deal.

https:///IEykL0pVAB

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:06pm On Mar 05, 2019
Taliban:

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5572) (5573) (5574) (5575) (5576) (5577) (5578) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Suzzytee05(f), typicalgamer(m), immobilare(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.