Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11750439 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6097) (6098) (6099) (6100) (6101) (6102) (6103) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CoolJulian: 7:41pm On Jun 05, 2019
I do not agree that Kc and Osimhen are better than Ighalo, presently. One could argue that they're more precised in front of goal, but when every other attribute of a striker is considered, Ighalo trumps, it isn't hard to see.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:43pm On Jun 05, 2019
CoolJulian:
Players like Ighalo and Mikel are still very useful in the SE,contrary to the opinion of some,otherwise who are the players that can effectively replace them...where are they?

It's so surprising that people are hardly talking about possible replacement for Mikel,especially; the midfield is one department that seriously needs reinforcement,and I wonder if the coach sees it that way.

Considering our other forwards, I pray they quickly develop into the players they ought to be,so we can have a breath of fresh air.

They don't want ighalo because of World Cup miss but they want others players who are also crappy at the World Cup

But rohr is the coach to decide and not them .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:50pm On Jun 05, 2019
Everton's Lookman in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:53pm On Jun 05, 2019
chrisooblog:
I will not totally dismiss the chances of the ladies in France and I think you are still judging them based on january's performance

I think the coach has tried to fine tune them into a defensively solid team that will be hard to break down which will thrive on the counter.

Realisticaly I'm targeting a win against South Korea and draw against Norway that should at least guarantee them 3rd place and qualification for the second round.

as poor as you think dennerby is he has won a trophy Aigbogun non

My brother, female football is not like male football. There are usually no surprise results in female football. Ur result is often as good or as bad as u can get.

The games against France and Norway are already two heavy losses.

The team we are closest to there is South Korea. And i tell u a draw in that game will mark progress for us.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:55pm On Jun 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

This is a player that has a lot to offer to the national team.

The NFF should help us abeg.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CoolJulian: 7:59pm On Jun 05, 2019
[quote author=andrew444 post=79053201]

They don't want ighalo because of World Cup miss but they want others players who are also crappy at the World Cup

But rohr is the coach to decide and not them .[/quote

lol....It won't happen.]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:00pm On Jun 05, 2019
Earthquake2:

U don't know Rohr, once you've impressed him in the GWG it would take you 3-4 bad matches for him to remove you

Yeah. That is it.

That is why it is always difficult to dispose of old players that may have temporarily lost form.

Once the coach knows what u can do when u are in form he will always see that potential in u.

That is why some of us see someone like Kelechi Iheanacho differently from how some of us here see him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Lol because Andy Boothroid dumped him from the Euro U21 tourney, he is now flirting around us to remind England he's got other options grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2019
andrew444:

You said that can't be said of the danish league and you don't know any so please help your self with google or don't say such next time seems you don't know any

I have not seen any outstanding one. Have you?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 8:17pm On Jun 05, 2019
CoolJulian:
I do not agree that Kc and Osimhen are better than Ighalo,presently.One could argue that they're more precised in front of goal,but when every other attribute of a striker is considered, Ighalo trumps,it isn't hard to see.

Chai, Ighalo fans always supporting him even when he is misfiring. I believe there are other reasons why they do that apart from footballing reasons.

Because right now Oshimen is the best Striker we have at the moment

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:26pm On Jun 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

Oh . Now I get what u mean.. I suggest u read that post of mine again and get the message.. I didn't say I'll pick Echijele.. I said if Echijele was still playing at decent club and still getting call ups,he would be picked ahead of Aina and that's the truth..We all know how rohr likes his players to be defensively sound... That's one of Aina's weakness. (Forget the stats oasis posted about Aina having no weaknesses.. those who watch him in SerieA would attest to it..and his performance in the GWG proves it too) ..

Caste ur mind back to October and November 2017 .. Why did Rohr throw Aina into the team first before Ebuehi considering the fact that Ebuehi was invited first? You think Rohr didn't want to take him to the world cup??

Well,like u said,Aina is still young.. there's room for improvement.. but I hope he put it at the back of his mind that game time in the national team are limited....u get ur chance and u grab it or u loss it to someone else..
unless Aina wanna follow Victor Moses path(like Mr forgiveness said) and quit the national team out of frustration..

We should forget about credible stats from reputable sources but accept your oluwole stats, abi?

As if those those who made the stats where blindfolded while watching the match, abi?

Abi, you and your cohorts watched the same Aina in Seria A with 4 eyes?

You think you are talking to mugu, abi?

Chai! You people has started changing mouth. So, it's nolonger because he was brought in as a LB. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

Lol because Andy Boothroid dumped him from the Euro U21 tourney, he is now flirting around us to remind England he's got other options grin

He's still a fantastic player for his age.. Hope he pledges his allegiance to Nigeria kiss
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Which kind of dilapidated area be that? One would think that he's in Aleppo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2019
iSlayer:

Do. you know I am amazed Oasis007. I am truly amazed Bro, I've been here for about six months or thereabouts and I didn't spot you all this time. Politics Section Yoruba Warrior. Nice cover. Upvote.

I started frequenting this thread around that preworldcup period Safari, Chriskels and Supernerd used to be at loggerheads with certain monikers here day and night. I didn't understand then. Now I do. Another tournament has come and now you and Forgiveness are taking your warrior seats.. Interesting.

So in essence, your argument for Aina's inclusion is simply your disgusting tribalism. Continue arguing rubbish, you've been made.

Kog45 I see your argument is also towing the same path. I was a tad surprised, so. you're also an Odua warrior? I actually respected you around here. Interesting.

Well, you're free to express your silly tribalistic views here. Personally, I don't think it's sensible to bring tribal sentiments into NATIONAL TEAM discourse so I don't do that. It's called a National Team for a reason.

I'm just watching you from the other side of THE DIVIDE.

I trust Rohr to pick the best or at least something close.

Stop blackmailing people here. You can't be pointing accusing fingers when you are sounding like a culprit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2019
Bolowolowo:

Which kind of dilapidated area be that? One would think that he's in Aleppo

Probably his family house..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2019
CAF champions league 2nd leg match to be replayed in a neutral venue. Perhaps Nigeria should step in and host it at Godswill Akpabio in Uyo wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:35pm On Jun 05, 2019
andrew444:

I have no problem in that also but it won't happen

Even the nacho that I am saying should be dropped will not be dropped ,you should know me as a nacho fan here

But Paul onauchu hustle for nothing if dem drop am, someone will use the danish league as an excuse

That is the thing though and that is why Rohr has the toughest job in Nigeria at the moment. No matter what there can be an argument for or against...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 8:37pm On Jun 05, 2019
CAF champions league final : Esperance of Tunisia have been ordered by CAF to return their medals for a repeat second leg match against Wyda Casablanca of Morocco...

sperance have been ordered to return the African Champions League trophy and to replay the second leg of the final.

The Tunisian side led 1-0 in Saturday's second leg but Moroccan opponents Wydad Casablanca left the pitch after an equaliser they scored was disallowed.

Wydad wanted the video assistant referee to check if the goal should stand but the system was not working.

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) said the second leg will be replayed at a neutral venue.

The 1-1 draw from the first leg in Morocco stands.

The replay will be after the Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, which ends on 19 July.

Caf said Esperance players must return their winners' medals as well as the trophy.

Play in the second leg was halted after Wydad thought they had equalised on 59 minutes through Walid El Karti's header. It was disallowed for an infringement.

The VAR system was visible on the side of the pitch but the players had not been told it was not in use because of a malfunction.

The referee eventually awarded the victory to three-time champions Esperance after a 95-minute delay.

Wydad's president said the club was "the victim of a scandal" and Caf subsequently called an Executive Committee meeting where the decision to replay the game was made.

Source:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/48533905?__twitter_impression=true

What a shame undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:38pm On Jun 05, 2019
CoolJulian:
Players like Ighalo and Mikel are still very useful in the SE,contrary to the opinion of some,otherwise who are the players that can effectively replace them...where are they?

It's so surprising that people are hardly talking about possible replacement for Mikel,especially; the midfield is one department that seriously needs reinforcement,and I wonder if the coach sees it that way.

Considering our other forwards, I pray they quickly develop into the players they ought to be,so we can have a breath of fresh air.

U cant talk about replacing Ighalo when Ighalo never replaced anyone, Ighalo has never been an antegral part of the super eagles, he has never been a go to man. Ighalo is at best, a bit part player. When did Ighalo even get his first call up and how many matches has he played for the Eagles? How many goals has he scored? Whats his SE history? Has he ever assumed responsibility when we have our back against the wall?

I wonder how u guys reason. Bros we are still looking for a replacement for Emenike, the last proven striker Eagles paraded. We thought Ighalo would be that replacement, but he failed woefully, so we aint replacing Ighalo but, Emmanuel Emenike.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:39pm On Jun 05, 2019
Bolowolowo:

Now makes sense why Iwobi and Ekong won’t feature
Gernot Rohr to feature players with limited club action against Zimbabwe

By Calista Jacob-Akpan -June 4, 2019

Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr has revealed that he will give players who didn’t have enough game time at their clubs opportunity to play Saturday’s friendly encounter against the Warriors of Zimbabwe.

The likes of of Leon Balogun and Kelechi Iheanacho struggled for regular playing time at English Premier League clubs, Brighton Hove & Albion, and Leicester City respectively. And Rohr is ready to start working on their match rustiness.

Balogun only made eight league appearances for Brighton, while Iheanacho started most of Leicester City’s games from the bench.

“I want to see a lot of players who are not playing so much, give them the opportunity to play,” Rohr told reporters after team’s evening training session in Asaba on Monday.

“It can be for some defenders like Balogun, he is fit but he didn’t play so much, so we want to see him playing on Saturday and also some players like Kelechi who didn’t play at all, so we want to see him play on Saturday”.

The two-time African champions opened camping in Asaba, Delta State on Sunday for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations billed to hold in Egypt later this month.

Super Eagles are expected to leave for Ismaila, Egypt on Sunday for the final lap of their preparations.

Rohr’s Eagles’ last pre-tournament friendly is against Senegal, billed for the Ismailia Stadium on June 16.

The three-time African champions will get their AFCON 2019 campaign underway against Burundi on June 22 at the Alexandria Stadium in Alexandria, before taking on Guinea at the same venue four days later.

They will wrap up their group encounters against Madagascar, once again in Alexandria, on June 30.

The AFCON 2019 is billed to take place in Egypt from the 21st of June to the 20th of July.
From what I read, Ekong asked to be excused so as to recover from an injury he sustained at his club..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:43pm On Jun 05, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

That is the thing though and that is why Rohr has the toughest job in Nigeria at the moment. No matter what there can be an argument for or against...

Lols okay if you say so
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:43pm On Jun 05, 2019
forgiveness:

I have not seen any outstanding one. Have you?

Lols but you come yarn like say you don see ,anyway me self never see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2019
Famocious:

He's still a fantastic player for his age.. Hope he pledges his allegiance to Nigeria kiss

If I tell u say I no love that guy, bro I be big liar. I always had him in my fantasy Eagles attacking trident, until he showed us the middle finger, for the Euro U21 tourney. I was really sad with Everton for trynna mess him up. Till morrow I still want him in the GWG. I hope he rejoins Leipzig

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2019
forgiveness:

We should forget about credible stats from reputable sources but accept your oluwole stats, abi?

As if those those who made the stats where blindfolded while watching the match, abi?

Abi, you and your cohorts watched the same Aina in Seria A with 4 eyes?

You think you are talking to mugu, abi?

Chai! You people has started changing mouth. So, it's nolonger because he was brought in as a LB. grin

The person I quoted is far more sensible and more reasonable than u.. he is not a mugu.. maybe u are.

No need to keep exchanging words with u.. on Saturday Aina will get another chance to fight for a starting shirt at the AFCON...
If u like,come back and rant .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

I'm not talking about this season.. I'm talking about the super eagles.. of what use is it if Aina wins the serie A player of the season but still can't replicate such good performance in the GWG?

Player selection in every national team is usually based on sentient.. Why did Deschamps drop Lacazette fot Giroud at the world cup? Why did Germany drop Sane? Why did Portugal drop Nelson Semedo? why did Belgium drop Nainngolan?? ..Its all based on the coach preference.. and it was glaring to all that Aina didn't do well..

So I ask u again,mention one good game he has had in the GWG to prove that he deserves a starting shirt!!

Aina didn't do well against Libya in both legs, abi?

Do you want me to show you the players ratings to prove that you are lying big time?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:53pm On Jun 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

If I tell u say I no love that guy, bro I be big liar. I always had him in my fantasy Eagles attacking trident, until he showed us the middle finger, for the Euro U21 tourney. I was really sad with Everton for trynna mess him up. Till morrow I still want him in the GWG. I hope he rejoins Leipzig

He should have handed in a transfer request..
Everton na yeye club... Leipzig would have really favoured him... The few English boys in the Budensliga are really doing well there .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:01pm On Jun 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

Let me shock u small, even if Shehu is playing in the Turkish 4th division, he might still get called up and start ahead of Aina as long as he plays the way rohr likes..

It's quite funny that u still don't get how this managerial thing work.. Like the explanation u gave regarding Deschamps,Giroud and Lacazette... Deschamps obviously prefers Giroud despite the fact that Lacazette has been performing better than Giroud for the past few season now..Why is that so?

Why is Jonas Hector, a player who until recently was playing in the Budensliga2 called up all the time to the Germany national team despite the availably of better left backs in the Budensliga?

Its all down to the manager's preference!!
Club form won't matter much..and certainly what the fans want won't matter either!

Do you mean if Giroud is in Turkish 4th division, he will still be called to the French national team? Bhuhahahaha

You think France is Nigeria? Bhuhahahaha!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:10pm On Jun 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

The person I quoted is far more sensible and more reasonable than u.. he is not a mugu.. maybe u are.

No need to keep exchanging words with u.. on Saturday Aina will get another chance to fight for a starting shirt at the AFCON...
If u like,come back and rant .

And you think you are more sensible than the experts that gave the stats?

What have you achieved in football that makes you think you get sense pass those you gave that stats?

Only mugus like yourself will take your useless opinions over reputable and recognised sources seriously.

You are a novice in this matter. So keep mute.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:12pm On Jun 05, 2019
Oasis007:

Yes we can't, it's just a Reminder. Do you honestly think Iheanacho won't give it a Fight?! You expect him to lose his last place of joy right now as far football is concerned?!

He has points to prove at the Tournament. It's gonna be a make or mar Tournament for his Career. He's gonna come good bro.

I mentioned both iheanacho and Osimhen but you choose to focus on nacho. Good luck to you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:12pm On Jun 05, 2019
andrew444:

Lols but you come yarn like say you don see ,anyway me self never see

Read my post carefully na.

forgiveness:

Players straight from the Belgium league performed in the EPL and other leagues but that can't be said of the Danish league.

Onuachu and Osimhen are similar in style.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

Everton na yeye club... Leipzig would have really favoured him... The few English boys in the Budensliga are really doing well there .

I really dont see what Bernard does better than Lookman.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:20pm On Jun 05, 2019
Danielnino00:

IS IT NOT BETTER HE IS INVITED TO NIGERIA S OLYMPIC SQUAD?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6097) (6098) (6099) (6100) (6101) (6102) (6103) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joezinho, Friday03, Ppogbae and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.