Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,271 members, 7,846,270 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11838254 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6099) (6100) (6101) (6102) (6103) (6104) (6105) ... (16238) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

Forgiveness can u see that account that wrote "motherland" with a love symbol?

Na now wey dem reject am em remember mother love. Who is he deceiving?

Anyway, it's a welcome development.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:25pm On Jun 05, 2019
ChrisKels:

Lol forgiveness is avoiding me like a plague bkus him know say him done sh1t for church grin

Hehehe! I know just wan argue am again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:14pm On Jun 05, 2019
Icon4s:

This is a player that has a lot to offer to the national team.

The NFF should help us abeg.

I tell you with the way this under 20 team messed up recently we really need these foreign born players to reinforce the super eagles...time to come

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:48pm On Jun 05, 2019

iSlayer:

Now let me say this. You see that Nigeria team, it was not a bad team but many will not agree and others don't know. The assemblage is not the worst in this tournament. What went wrong with that team? Poor tutoring and tactics overall. Give that same team to a good coach they'll beat Senegal.

In conclusion, it's not about Senegal being ordinary it's about Nigeria not being too far behind.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:51pm On Jun 05, 2019
I just dey laff people who dey put hope for Super Falcons. Me I dey wait for the next AWCON
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:57pm On Jun 05, 2019
At the end of the day Rohr na Rohr. See u all when the AFCON begins.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:10am On Jun 06, 2019
The race for the services of Basel wonderkid Noah Okafor is still on after he failed to make his senior debut for Switzerland in their UEFA Nations League semifinal clash against Portugal on Wednesday evening.

The winger was handed a late invitation to Switzerland's senior team as replacement for the injured Breel Embolo, who pulled out of the squad because of a foot injury.

Wearing the number seven jersey, Okafor watched on from the sidelines as Switzerland suffered a 3-1 loss to Portugal at the Estádio Do Dragão (Porto), with Juventus superstar Cristiano Ronaldo netting a hat-trick for the home team.

The 19-year-old is the first player born in 2000 to receive a call-up to Switzerland's senior team.

The Nigerian Federation and Super Eagles fans will be watching with keen interest to see if he gets a run-out in Switzerland's next competitive game which comes up on Sunday, June 9, against either England or Netherlands, and if that happens, he will become cap-tied to his country of birth.

Okafor had a breakthrough season for Basel last term, making 17 starts in the Super League after he was promoted to the first team.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:13am On Jun 06, 2019
Chelsea are prepared to sell Fikayo Tomori this summer.

The Daily Mail says Celtic have been linked with a loan move for Tomori.

With interest from the German Bundesliga, however, the 21-year-old is expected to leave Stamford Bridge permanently for a fee in excess of £10million this summer.

Tomori has just completed an outstanding loan with Derby County and has opened the door to returning to the Rams.

The youngster's future could depend on the identity of the manager at Chelsea next season.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:07am On Jun 06, 2019
forgiveness:

This country get as em bi. U23 didn't try to lure him to play for us. I hope they don't use him.

No mind naija bros
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:15am On Jun 06, 2019
Joebie:
I just dey laff people who dey put hope for Super Falcons. Me I dey wait for the next AWCON

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 06, 2019
Efe Ambrose has been released by Derby County after 4 months.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 5:51am On Jun 06, 2019
iSlayer:

I've not been following the women folk closely but if Norway are as strong as I know them to be, it may be an obliteration. I know Norway as one of the strongest female teams around, at a time they must have been the best. However, maybe the Falcons have been improved. Maybe.

Bros calm down. Norway are now average at best now and are very beatable by Nigeria.

Norway are not what they used to be again, they now rely on past glory as a former world champion. The teams to beat in this competition are France, USA and England. Any team outside this three is beatable if we keep our heads down and not panick. I'm still rooting for the falcons to make second round though, even if they qualify as best looser
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:39am On Jun 06, 2019
iSlayer:

Steer up anything or anybody your gut tells you to. I will not even mention any of my brothers here. You don buy market today. I have the time. Ebuehi is better than Aina at RB. Simon is a hardworker but Rohr may not pick him. You may oblige me and drink Sniper when it turns out so.

Football comparison is not so simplistic.

Currently speaking Ebuehi hasnt played for a long on account of injury. Comparatively Aina has been playing regularly and most likely improving.

Although I haven't seen Ebuehi this season recovering from ACL is very difficult.

Bearing these issues in mind currently l would say that Aina is well ahead and better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:41am On Jun 06, 2019
Kog45:
My man I always love analyst who talk football without emotions and for you to say Echijele will still make it ahead of Aina says it all.

Echijele made WC based on sentiment though Aina didn't help the situation.

If you are telling me Shehu is better than Aina I watched this season then something must be amiss.

Agreed however, l don't think Aina had a fair opportunity to show what he could do.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:43am On Jun 06, 2019
Oasis007:
Some are kinda amazed coz I include Simon Moses in my presumed lineup. Lest we forget, he's 23yrs old. He was a Monster prior to his Injury and nearly signed for Liverpool.

A quick Reminder of Simon Moses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJm8-SNbCXA

Serious doubts about that, did Liverpool make an official bid/ offer. That was just media hype and manipulation by agents.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:52am On Jun 06, 2019
Danielnino00:

I'm not talking about this season.. I'm talking about the super eagles.. of what use is it if Aina wins the serie A player of the season but still can't replicate such good performance in the GWG?

Player selection in every national team is usually based on sentient.. Why did Deschamps drop Lacazette fot Giroud at the world cup? Why did Germany drop Sane? Why did Portugal drop Nelson Semedo? why did Belgium drop Nainngolan?? ..Its all based on the coach preference.. and it was glaring to all that Aina didn't do well..

So I ask u again,mention one good game he has had in the GWG to prove that he deserves a starting shirt!!

Aina was primarily a RB when he came in but was put in at LB. Comparative to Ebuehi who came in to play 5-3-3 which gave him more freedom to attack as well coming in the second half. I would not say he didn't do well.

Football doesn't remain static players improve and even loose form over just one season.

2017/18 Fikayo Tomori was playing RB and was not good enough for me. Well this season he played CB and is arguably the best CB in the Championship. He was awarded as Derby best player of the season. That's just in one season.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:11am On Jun 06, 2019
forgiveness:

Players straight from the Belgium league performed in the EPL and other leagues but that can't be said of the Danish league.

Onuachu and Osimhen are similar in style.

In general yes with regards to the Belguim league but not all, only the best from that league make an impact if at all in the EPL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:19am On Jun 06, 2019
komekn:

Agreed however, l don't think Aina had a fair opportunity to show what he could do.

Agreed on this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:20am On Jun 06, 2019
Daninya111:
Efe Ambrose has been released by Derby County after 4 months.

Without even making the bench of any match day squad

Smh

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 06, 2019
andrew444:

Smh

And some on here were calling for his inclusion in the Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:31am On Jun 06, 2019
Truidstar:

And some on here were calling for his inclusion in the Eagles.

Lol

Am a fan of him sha make I no lie,baba go don reach 40 years
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:39am On Jun 06, 2019
forgiveness:

Na now wey dem reject am em remember mother love. Who is he deceiving?

Anyway, it's a welcome development.

I don't think Tega is deceiving anybody na Warri pikin Eéeeeeee be since, im no de form.

Actually when was he invited to the SE that he declined ❓ l actually rated him more than Oviemuno, he just has not been able to get a good run of games to progress hi career.

I can't see him breaking into the Tottenham team so he will probably be sold next season.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:42am On Jun 06, 2019
andrew444:

Lol

Am a fan of him sha make I no lie,baba go don reach 40 years

Unfortunately this is the bitter truth, very nice guy sha.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:43am On Jun 06, 2019
komekn:

Aina was primarily a RB when he came in but was put in at LB. Comparative to Ebuehi who came in to play 5-3-3 which gave him more freedom to attack as well coming in the second half. I would not say he didn't do well.

Football doesn't remain static players improve and even loose form over just one season.

2017/18 Fikayo Tomori was playing RB and was not good enough for me. Well this season he played CB and is arguably the best CB in the Championship. He was awarded as Derby best player of the season. That's just in one season.

Aina played like 5 minutes as a LB against Zambia in Uyo. 90 minutes as a LB against Algeria in Constainte and 45 minutes as a LWB against Argentina... I thought it has already been established that he can play both LB and RB and even wingbcak .. What now changed ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:51am On Jun 06, 2019
Bolowolowo:

Now makes sense why Iwobi and Ekong won’t feature
Gernot Rohr to feature players with limited club action against Zimbabwe

By Calista Jacob-Akpan -June 4, 2019

Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr has revealed that he will give players who didn’t have enough game time at their clubs opportunity to play Saturday’s friendly encounter against the Warriors of Zimbabwe.

The likes of of Leon Balogun and Kelechi Iheanacho struggled for regular playing time at English Premier League clubs, Brighton Hove & Albion, and Leicester City respectively. And Rohr is ready to start working on their match rustiness.

Balogun only made eight league appearances for Brighton, while Iheanacho started most of Leicester City’s games from the bench.

“I want to see a lot of players who are not playing so much, give them the opportunity to play,” Rohr told reporters after team’s evening training session in Asaba on Monday.

“It can be for some defenders like Balogun, he is fit but he didn’t play so much, so we want to see him playing on Saturday and also some players like Kelechi who didn’t play at all, so we want to see him play on Saturday”.

The two-time African champions opened camping in Asaba, Delta State on Sunday for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations billed to hold in Egypt later this month.

Super Eagles are expected to leave for Ismaila, Egypt on Sunday for the final lap of their preparations.

Rohr’s Eagles’ last pre-tournament friendly is against Senegal, billed for the Ismailia Stadium on June 16.

The three-time African champions will get their AFCON 2019 campaign underway against Burundi on June 22 at the Alexandria Stadium in Alexandria, before taking on Guinea at the same venue four days later.

They will wrap up their group encounters against Madagascar, once again in Alexandria, on June 30.

The AFCON 2019 is billed to take place in Egypt from the 21st of June to the 20th of July.

I can criticise the lapses in Rohr’s creative tactics and conservative style of play. However, when it comes to player management and team preparation, the man is a Don.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 10:14am On Jun 06, 2019
andrew444:

Smh

I don’t even know why they bought him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:15am On Jun 06, 2019
Bolowolowo:

Now makes sense why Iwobi and Ekong won’t feature
Gernot Rohr to feature players with limited club action against Zimbabwe

By Calista Jacob-Akpan -June 4, 2019

Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr has revealed that he will give players who didn’t have enough game time at their clubs opportunity to play Saturday’s friendly encounter against the Warriors of Zimbabwe.

The likes of of Leon Balogun and Kelechi Iheanacho struggled for regular playing time at English Premier League clubs, Brighton Hove & Albion, and Leicester City respectively. And Rohr is ready to start working on their match rustiness.

Balogun only made eight league appearances for Brighton, while Iheanacho started most of Leicester City’s games from the bench.

“I want to see a lot of players who are not playing so much, give them the opportunity to play,” Rohr told reporters after team’s evening training session in Asaba on Monday.

“It can be for some defenders like Balogun, he is fit but he didn’t play so much, so we want to see him playing on Saturday and also some players like Kelechi who didn’t play at all, so we want to see him play on Saturday”.

The two-time African champions opened camping in Asaba, Delta State on Sunday for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations billed to hold in Egypt later this month.

Super Eagles are expected to leave for Ismaila, Egypt on Sunday for the final lap of their preparations.

Rohr’s Eagles’ last pre-tournament friendly is against Senegal, billed for the Ismailia Stadium on June 16.

The three-time African champions will get their AFCON 2019 campaign underway against Burundi on June 22 at the Alexandria Stadium in Alexandria, before taking on Guinea at the same venue four days later.

They will wrap up their group encounters against Madagascar, once again in Alexandria, on June 30.

The AFCON 2019 is billed to take place in Egypt from the 21st of June to the 20th of July.

There are exceptions to players not getting game time for instance player manager disagreement. Or in some cases there are players who are just simply much better than him.

However, that's not the case with KC he has simply diminished from season to season. There is no amount of training you will do in a few weeks that will turn him into a being a prolific outstanding forward players.

That's sentiment and emotive favoritism that is almost delusional.

Selection to the SE is not on past glories but current consistent continous top class outstanding performances in your club and league. NOTHING ELSE should be considered.

If there were no other options available to the SE then there could be some justification. But what about Onuachu and others.

With regards to Balogun he has done well for the SE and we don't seem to have many contenders in the CB position.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:23am On Jun 06, 2019
andrew444:

Why only nacho and osimhen?

Are you going by club form or eagles form ?

If by club form osimhen is a beast and he is new to the eagles and I know osimhen will do well in afcon

Club form and eagles form nacho is very poor ,or you want to keep living by past glories ?

Club form and eagles form ighalo is doing well so please explain your point ?

Have any player score more goals than ighalo in the past few months apart from osimhen because he is new to the eagles that we have to give it to them ?

Thank you

What about Onuachu❓Is he not deserving of a call up , he has been consistent over the past few seasons.

This is Osimhen first real full season of first team competitive football. Great promise and potential but l would place Onuachu slightly over him, he bring something completely different albeit he lacks pace.

I would actually prefer to see them both.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:23am On Jun 06, 2019
komekn:

I don't think Tega is deceiving anybody na Warri pikin Eéeeeeee be since, im no de form.

Actually when was he invited to the SE that he declined ❓ l actually rated him more than Oviemuno, he just has not been able to get a good run of games to progress hi career.

I can't see him breaking into the Tottenham team so he will probably be sold next season.

I was referring to Lookman not Tega.

Of course, Tega is a better player than Oviemuno. He should move away from Tottenham if he loves his career.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 06, 2019
komekn:

There are exceptions to players not getting game time for instance player manager disagreement. Or in some cases there are players who are just simply much better than him.

However, that's not the case with KC he has simply diminished from season to season. There is no amount of training you will do in a few weeks that will turn him into a being a prolific outstanding forward players.

That's sentiment and emotive favoritism that is almost delusional.

Selection to the SE is not on past glories but current consistent continous top class outstanding performances in your club and league. NOTHING ELSE should be considered.

If there were no other options available to the SE then there could be some justification. But what about Onuachu and others.

With regards to Balogun he has done well for the SE and we don't seem to have many contenders in the CB position.

Well said. KC might make the cut due to Samuel Kalu not been 100%.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:26am On Jun 06, 2019
komekn:

In general yes with regards to the Belguim league but not all, only the best from that league make an impact if at all in the EPL.

Of course, the best players get noticed by EPL teams. But have you seen any best player from Danish League perform in the EPL?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6099) (6100) (6101) (6102) (6103) (6104) (6105) ... (16238) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christinu2, chrisooblog, kellycute(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.