Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,380 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6137) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11627035 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6134) (6135) (6136) (6137) (6138) (6139) (6140) ... (16135) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 12:13pm On Jun 09, 2019
DrLikita12:

So the trouble in camp was just a rumor? Or did Rohr put his foot down?

It wasn't a rumour his exclusion was hotly contested by the bugwigs but Rhor stood his ground
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Lmao make we see ur face abeg no vex, I promise to post mine immediately u drop us.
here

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
eazyjakes:
The 23 players chosen are all Nigerians....all diz emotional attachments to certain players are not necessary....u get dropped today, u up ur game and u will be in d next tourney....dere is nothing special abt being dropped or selected for this tourney as diz guys are all young lads who will get another shot in no distant time....I wish dem all d best....go lads!

There will be time to wish them well but now is the team to scrutinize the list. I run an operation of talk or forever hold your peace so I must say how I feel now. This has nothing to do with my support for the 23 men selected to represent this country but now na debate grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
Kelechi had one PL goal the entire season. ONE goal. In 30 games

That is the same amount of goals Balogun had. As a DEFENDER. In 8 matches.

What exactly is the issue?

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
sontoly:
If this news is true then that's a good decision by Rhor he made the right choice.

Now what is left for Iheanacho is to pick himself up and do some personal development. Moreover I don't believe scoring in preseason will help his predicament, dude was the best player for Leicester in preseason last time. As far as Vardy is the chosen no striker can upstage him, the whole Leicester playing pattern is built on counter attack and not possessive football, one needs to have blistering pace to succeed but nacho can't be compared to Vardy on this. Not playing will make him look helpless and in turn kill his moral, therefore leading to lack of confidence.

Iheanacho needs to move to another club probably on loan till Vardy quites QED.

Leicester City is no more a conservative side and play with more bravery now. Look at the stats below against Arsenal which shows you do not understand the dynamic changes taking place in the club.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:16pm On Jun 09, 2019
kellycute:
let me vex and wail in peace but I'll chill cos I know they shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth after the first match. Red bororo of a coach

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:17pm On Jun 09, 2019
sontoly:

Rodgers will play his style of games for a while but immediately Leicester start loosing they will return to default settings which is long balls and relying on counters.

It shows that you have no idea what Rodgers is about. From his time at Swansea, he did not bend his style of play and has built a cult following to his philosophy. He does not play any other way but creative, offensive and possessively.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by naturecures: 12:19pm On Jun 09, 2019
OFFICIAL:
Rohr drops Iheanacho and Semi Ajayi from AFCON squad, the rest of the squad will fly to Egypt today.
I wish both players well in the career.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:19pm On Jun 09, 2019
Iheanacho pigmouth better pass u cus na whale mouth u get
Afobear:
here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Iheanacho pigmouth better pass u cus na whale mouth u get
I agree. See the face

Now show yours ikpa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2019
Kog45:
Yea Ajayi can still make it later and he should learn from Aina who was dropped from WC.

But big question is Awaziem deserve the spot than Ajayi? based on their performance this season

Awaziem was very good this season as a CB. Ajayi had his best success as a midfielder

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2019
So who wants to bet ? Super Chickens of Nigeria goes out at most the quarter and least Group stage ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:33pm On Jun 09, 2019
Chelsea hero John Obi Mikel has named two talented players in the Super Eagles squad who impressed him in the goalless draw against Zimbabwe on Saturday.

The Nigeria captain is tipping Villarreal's Samuel Chukwueze and Bordeaux's Samuel Kalu to have a successful Africa Cup of Nations but admitted that they are not yet the finished product.

''The coach has invited the players that will do the job for us. It is a very good blend of young and experience. Like the coach said, we needed a little bit of experience - Shehu and Ighalo were not on the pitch,'' Mikel said at the post match press conference.

'I think it is also good for the young players to play this game, you know Chukwueze, Kalu, you could see a bit of flashes of talent. They are very good players.

''I think we will work on when to run with the ball, when not to run, when to pass, but you could see the talent is there for them. I think they can do great things in this Nations Cup.

''We just have to keep talking to them, we the senior players, the coaches and hopefully we will have a very good plan in the Nations Cup and do great things.''

Mikel was outstanding in the goalless draw against Zimbabwe and was rightly named the Man of the Match in his first game for the Super Eagles since June 2018.

''When I am ready, I come back. When I come back I give 110 percent.

''The team has done great up till now, the team has been fantastic, the boys have worked really hard to get us here and I just come to add a little bit of my experience and also to help the team.

''Hopefully, we can have a good tournament,'' the Super Eagles number 10 concluded.

Nigeria's final pre-Africa Cup of Nations friendly comes up against the top ranked team in Africa, Senegal on June 16.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2019
darkelf:

Why do I have a feeling that KC nacho doesn't have the grit to do that and this only marks the beginning of the downfall of his career

I'm sure he can if he sets his mind to it. He's still young...he just needs to focus and surround himself with the right people.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2019
Danycrusoe:

It wasn't a rumour his exclusion was hotly contested by the bugwigs but Rhor stood his ground

Good he did.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 12:51pm On Jun 09, 2019
Aina was awful yesternight!
He doesn't deserve to make that team!

Awaziem was spectacular when he came on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:51pm On Jun 09, 2019
darkelf:

Why do I have a feeling that KC nacho doesn't have the grit to do that and this only marks the beginning of the downfall of his career

Everyone has it in them. Perhaps, this is what Kelechi needed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 12:58pm On Jun 09, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

There will be time to wish them well but now is the team to scrutinize the list. I run an operation of talk or forever hold your peace so I must say how I feel now. This has nothing to do with my support for the 23 men selected to represent this country but now na debate grin
You are carried bro but scrutiny should be devoid of emotional sentiments as there all Nigerians las las....Thanks for wishing dem well cool!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 09, 2019
Afobear:
I agree. See the face

Now show yours ikpa
hahahahaahahaha..

Afor mumbo jumbo cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 1:01pm On Jun 09, 2019
fabyom:
Aina was awful yesternight!
He doesn't deserve to make that team!

Awaziem was spectacular when he came on.

Dey there dey find wetin no loss

As aina don make the team come comot am make I see you nah

Nigerians and mediocrity be like 5 and 6
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:02pm On Jun 09, 2019
eazyjakes:

You are carried bro but scrutiny should be devoid of emotional sentiments as there all Nigerians las las....Thanks for wishing dem well cool!

No sentiments involved. Just discussing football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phamarsenal: 1:03pm On Jun 09, 2019
There is not one player that would be removed from DAT 25-man squad DAT we will no t complain abt... BT I am happy DAT finally we have a coach DAT has d guts to take d hard decisions. Sentiments aside we can all see d super eagles r going in d right direction, even on a bad weather and very poor pitch u could see d flair and intent from d players on d pitch and even d substitutes DAT came in.
I particularly loved d fact DAT iwobi has bn govern d no 10 role and Mikel playing as d deeplying playmaker DAT he is which Is wat many if us here HV bn clamouring for..All in all I wish d super eagles a successful afcon..

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:05pm On Jun 09, 2019
chrisooblog:
Aina shehu ekong balogun omeruo awaziem/ajayi collins

iwobi Mikel etebo ogu ndidi
I called it some months back am I clairvoyant or what lol

Feel sorry for k c but without sentiments it was the right call backing him to turn his career around

As for Ajayi it was always going to be a toss of the coin between him and awaziem I guess Rohr choose the latter because he brings a better balance to the squad

Now is the time to back the team no squad will hundred percent satisfy Nigerians even the afcon winning ones wish the team all the best let's go super Eagles

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ObaOni(m): 1:07pm On Jun 09, 2019
My personal opinion about this super eagles
Mikel is still better as AM as far as African football is concerned. Ndidi and Etebo should do the dirty job behind.
Iwobi has not convinced he can do d needful in that AM role. It's better he comes in for Mikel if need be (Our Captain might not play full 90mins all games).

Only few African teams have good wingers, it's more advisable and adventurous we use 3:5:2 formation. But with the players we have in camp It will be more of 4:2:3:1, with Musa and the Villareal guy on the wings.

Only Injury and terrible performance in the first match can stop Ighalo from starting as the number 9. But Oshimen should be next in dat order.

The Oyinbo wall will still continue in the nations cup, only Injury, suspension, or 3:5:2 formation can give Omueru chance.

For the goalkeepers, I prefer Ezenwa but the technical crew knows best.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:08pm On Jun 09, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

If Bench kills players, Balogun would have been atrocious yesterday but he had a good game because the coach gave him a chance.

Inviting Nacho to camp meant that Rohr wanted to give him a shot but at the end, it shows Rohr did not which baffles me.

As kellycute earlier pointed out how Rohr gave Ighalo multiple chances to prove himself, how come nothing close to that yardstick can be applied to Nacho.

I was even disappointed with the way Rohr went on media to attack Nacho's character saying he plays too much. For real, I did not want Nacho with Rohr after that.

Glad the nightmare is over and Nacho can prepare for the preseason which is very important.
are you sure he didn't give him a shot? in Friday's training report said Kelechi had a subdued performance and Onuachu was a handful. you can say you don't like Rhor but don't say he's not fair, when he didn't invite Kayode to camp ahead of the 2018 WC did you whine like this?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:08pm On Jun 09, 2019
This shows owngoalnigeria.com is compromised. They kept reporting how nacho was dazzling in training and knocking goals in, only for him to be culled by Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:10pm On Jun 09, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Rohr should keep his righteousness to himself. Which righteousness if the young man will not get a shot.
which shot? he saw him in training already, remember matches are not as important as trainings abi no be you dey talk am?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:11pm On Jun 09, 2019
Kog45:
Charles,well Rohr has picked his team and we should all respect his decision but if I have my way I will drop Onuachu and Awaziem for Iheanacho and Ajayi.My opinion.
I'll drop Shehu instead

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:16pm On Jun 09, 2019
jihday:
which shot? he saw him in training already, remember matches are not as important as trainings abi no be you dey talk am?

That is in player development, not team selection. Rohr did not invite Iheanacho for development. It was clear he did not have plans for Iheanacho.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2019
tbaba1234:

Awaziem was very good this season as a CB. Ajayi had his best success as a midfielder
for me personally I don't see any controversy in Ajayi being dropped as a midfielder I have not seen him do anything spectacular in the super Eagles and as a centre-back he would have been on the bench anyway I think awaziem offers more versatility he can play as a right back and a defensive midfielder apart from being decent as a centre-back all in all I'm very satisfied with the squad

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 1:18pm On Jun 09, 2019
jihday:

You cannot just be below par all season and suddenly turn to a beast on training

Leave that guy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

That is in player development, not team selection. Rohr did not invite Iheanacho for development. It was clear he did not have plans for Iheanacho.
Easy bro....They will be more opportunities for him in d future....he was just selected for a World Cup just a year ago by d same man....let him sort himself out clubwise....no1 will drop him cos of his potentials if he is in good shape!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6134) (6135) (6136) (6137) (6138) (6139) (6140) ... (16135) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Toylove, Lyster360 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.