Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,554 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6176) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11648537 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6173) (6174) (6175) (6176) (6177) (6178) (6179) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:35pm On Jun 13, 2019
darkelf:

I couldn't have said it better.

Some of us tend to forget so soon how the same onuachu was touted after his superb strike against Egypt that gave us the win. As for me, I'll wait until he plays at the AFCON to judge him

Thank you jare

They use one game against egypt to praise him then they use another game to say they are not impressed just because iheanacho must be there.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by theblackjack76: 4:39pm On Jun 13, 2019
Your trademark font style is still fresh in my mind. cheesy
Welcome back bro.

joseph1013:

Vicissitudes of life.

I can see that you're still in the business of absolving Kelechi of his career explosion. Na so!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:41pm On Jun 13, 2019
Rangers have submitted a bumper offer to Joe Aribo in an attempt to lure the Charlton star to Ibrox according to sources.

Steven Gerrard’s Scottish giants have stolen a march on city rivals Celtic according to the Football Insider as they look to land the midfielder.

Sources in Scotland say Rangers have offered the ten-goal ace a long-term contract with a huge pay rise.

Aribo is out of contract this summer but Charlton have tabled a new deal which he has yet to sign.

Rangers believe they can land their man by offering a tempting package knowing that the 22-year-old would cost a nominal compensation fee.

The Academy product was a star performer in the Addicks promotion clinching campaign, scoring ten goals on their way to a play-off victory over Sunderland.

Manager Lee Bowyer has insisted he is eager to keep Aribo at The Valley and sees him as a crucial cog in his now Championship side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:42pm On Jun 13, 2019
andrew444:

But he won the world cup sha

Its time for deschamps to drop giroud, at least giroud has won the world cup, what has lacazette done to deserve such treatment?

If umtiti doesnt start for barca next season, Lenglet should collect his national team starting shirt also

Rafael varane days seems numbered in madrid defence, but let me observe sha.

With current form Aymeric Laporte and Lenglet should be starters
I tire for that guy. You can't have the talent France have and still play with a target man. Giroud and Matuidi should not be starting.
Imagine Ndombele not making their starting 11.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 4:49pm On Jun 13, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

But fans can understand that a striker will not be stellar in such system and does not deserve to shoulder much blame because of limited chances.

Also, we should be bigger than being scared of South Africa to ruin our season to thus outplay them and still win. Docking our tails is sheer cowardice.
You're absolutely having these discussions mixed up.

TheGoodJoe:

Last thing Rohr needed was Iheanacho having a good display and giving him a selection headache. Rohr already made up his mind those he was taking and Nacho was not on his list. A brilliant performance from Nacho would have people questioning his decision to drop Nacho.

Sincerely yours,
TheGoodJoe
I replied to this comment of yours.
1 game can be deceitful.
Iheanacho is going through a massive slump in confidence, it takes more than just a game to erase that. Yes he might have a stellar performance that makes you think all is back to normal, but that doubt he now has in his ability will still creep in over the next couple of games.

It will take a string of consistently good performances to completely erase any such doubts. So yes, Rohr is absolutely right to drop him. And you would see this too if you weren't so blinded by your "love" for the boy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:50pm On Jun 13, 2019
Yup. That's my sentiments, exactly!

O pari

TheGoodJoe:

Last thing Rohr needed was Iheanacho having a good display and giving him a selection headache. Rohr already made up his mind those he was taking and Nacho was not on his list. A brilliant performance from Nacho would have people questioning his decision to drop Nacho.

Sincerely yours,
TheGoodJoe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:51pm On Jun 13, 2019
Wolves remain keen on Spezia striker David Okereke.

The 21-year-old has seen his value soar over the course of last season.

He has scored 10 times and recorded 12 assists for the Serie B side.

It's reported that West Ham and Newcastle are both keen too, along with Wolves, says the Express & Star.

Although a move to another Italian club, Sassuolo, is also an option.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:55pm On Jun 13, 2019
My bad, I think you're probably correct.

But the KC I see for Leicester City always works hard for the team. Missing scoring opportunities happens to everybody, even to the best players in the world. If I tell you the number of scoring chances I had in my life, you'd be surprised. Bottom line, KC should be thrown out because a scoring chance against Seychelles or against ManCity. If you look at the full picture, you'll agree with me that he still has something to offer to the team.

O pari

elyte89:

Are u sure u knw what u re saying ?

What abt d match he played against Seychelles away?rohr has always given ighalo and nacho almost equal chance,what else does he want undecided

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2019
Nobody is asking for him to be given a special treatment. But I just don't believe that every striker and AM in that squad is better than KC.

Truth be the told, the likes of Onuachu, Osihmen, Ighalo, and co would also be sitting on the bench, if they are competing with Jamie Vardy. Or have we quickly forgotten Ahmed Musa's experience

O pari

Earthquake3:

You didn't remember that Nacho started against South Africa and was abysmal including not being able to trap a goal bound chance

You want Rohr to take somebody's chance against Uganda and give to him(Osimhen and Chukwueze)

The SE is not about Nacho, make him swerve

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 5:03pm On Jun 13, 2019
Icon79:
Nobody is asking for him to be given a special treatment. But I just don't believe that every striker and AM in that squad is better than KC.

Truth be the told, the likes of Onuachu, Osihmen, Ighalo, and co would also be sitting on the bench, if they are competing with Jamie Vardy. Or have we quickly forgotten Ahmed Musa's experience

O pari

The guy scored one league goal all season no excuse for that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2019
True. But I still think that the overriding factor in Rohr's decision was due to the fact that KC isn't playing much at LC. But he forgot to ask himself, if the other strikers are in KC's position, would any one them have played more games than KC.

And in addition, I don't like the way Rohr puts KC on the blast by telling the whole world that KC has attitude problems. If a player isn't doing something right, especially such a young player, the coach should call him aside and have a conversation with him. Going public by talking to the media isn't the right approach.

O pari

breezy147:

The coach has seen him in training. And that has constituted the coach's decision. That said, KC has played as a striker for almost all of his career and it is too late to experiment with KC in the midfield with the super eagles.

If Iwobi has to come off, Etebo/Ogu will replace him and Mikel may move upfront.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 5:08pm On Jun 13, 2019
andrew444:

Thank you jare

They use one game against egypt to praise him then they use another game to say they are not impressed just because iheanacho must be there.
Not just that, one game in a rain soaked unkept field for that matter. A lot of misplaced passes here & there, with iwobi the worst culprit.
Nacho should thank his stars for making the provisional list sef.
Let him meet iwobi to master trapping 101 and meet Mikel for ball shielding 101. Add it to what he already got he is good to go.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2019
comodo:

Not just that, one game in a rain soaked unkept field for that matter. A lot of misplaced passes here & there, with iwobi the worst culprit.
Nacho should thank his stars for making the provisional list sef.
Let him meet iwobi to master trapping 101 and meet Mikel for ball shielding 101. Add it to what he already got he is good to go.

Lol

Thats true the pitch was not even good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2019
edi287:

I tire for that guy. You can't have the talent France have and still play with a target man. Giroud and Matuidi should not be starting.
Imagine Ndombele not making their starting 11.

Thats true bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Wolves remain keen on Spezia striker David Okereke.

The 21-year-old has seen his value soar over the course of last season.

He has scored 10 times and recorded 12 assists for the Serie B side.

It's reported that West Ham and Newcastle are both keen too, along with Wolves, says the Express & Star.

Although a move to another Italian club, Sassuolo, is also an option.

This boy is really in damands o, i hope everything works out for good

But i think he will have work permit issue in the epl

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:26pm On Jun 13, 2019
he is likely to join sassuolo
andrew444:

This boy is really in damands o, i hope everything works out for good

But i think he will have work permit issue in the epl
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:27pm On Jun 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
he is likely to join sassuolo

Sassuolo will be better

More competition in the eagles

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 5:31pm On Jun 13, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Not explosion. I think is more of misunderstanding by people.

There are strikers that thrive on goals. Others can escape with being bullies and power players.

Nacho thrives on goals but he can not score if he does not have good number of chances. Finishing is a numbers game.

Under Puel and Shakespeare, coupled with limited run of games, the chances he had were in systems that do not give him chances. He met the same under Rohr’s system. So people took it as a career implosion.

Finito.

Strive on goals and power play, see how u differentiate them as though that is the two yardstick to be a striker.

Yakubu aiyegbeni, Emmanuel emenike and rashidi yekini had both qualities.
It's just so bad that the quality of striker we have in this Era and KC just wanna drop the standard below what we have again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 5:31pm On Jun 13, 2019
Humility017:

you see....... and the problem we have been having with our midfield in time past is not having the link between midfield and attack...

nacho would serve in that role conveniently all Rohr needs do is to have a talk with him and engage him in special training drills
to serve in that role... he still have the mojo in him, he played there years ago
when was the last time he had any impact for us? please let's quit this Nacho this Nacho that no be say we drop Messi na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:35pm On Jun 13, 2019
yea, we have decent players who are likely to move to decent clubs. with the addition of few foreign born players to the team, the future is very bright. i see the likes of lookman and uduokhai joining the fray after the euro u21 champion while aribo have already declared as well

andrew444:

Sassuolo will be better

More competition in the eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:38pm On Jun 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
yea, we have decent players who are likely to move to decent clubs. with the addition of few foreign born players to the team, the future is very bright. i see the likes of lookman and uduokhai joining the fray after the euro u21 champion while aribo have already declared as well

That will be very good

You really like this aribo boy oo, it seems the kid is good?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 5:39pm On Jun 13, 2019
Earthquake3:

The defence made a lot of mistakes that South Korea didn't capitalize on

France isn't going to be that generous

There was so much pressure on our defense against Korea. It's understandable why they were later committing those errors. Against France, they should limit those pressure by playing them at the midfield. France expects that we would play defensive and if we take the bait, they would punish as they are more clinical than the Koreans.
The coach need devise a strategy of playing most of the game in the midfield. When the chances open up and we are lucky, we might hold a surprise victory.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 5:41pm On Jun 13, 2019
M7even:

There was so much pressure on our defense against Korea. It's understandable why they were later committing those errors. Against France, they should limit those pressure by playing them at the midfield. France expects that we would play defensive and if we take the bait, they would punish as they are more clinical than the Koreans.
The coach need devise a strategy of playing most of the game in the midfield. When the chances open up and we are lucky, we might hold a surprise victory.

You are talking as if you have not watched those girls grin

They can't string three passes together and you expect them to hold play against France

Funny grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2019
andrew444:
According to news i heard, Aina is first choice right back while awaziem is second choice
and Sheu is what? assistant coach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2019
bro from what i have seen in his game he is very good. if he joins rangers i bet you that his name will be trending here every weekend when the new season starts. he has a good physique,strong,good passing range,mobile and aggressive and scores as well. also he is versatile ie can be deployed as a AM or CM (which is his natural position) and to top it all he is left footed. i tip him among the few who has the qualities to replace aging mikel.
andrew444:

That will be very good

You really like this aribo boy oo, it seems the kid is good?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2019
Earthquake3:

The defence made a lot of mistakes that South Korea didn't capitalize on

France isn't going to be that generous
Good news is the French Girls have some knocks. The coach is gonna make a lot of changes. Our defence was good against South Korea. Rita Chikwelu tends to lose the ball in midfield slot due to sloppy passes. You are right though, any error at the back might cost us. But we have a good goalie.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 5:46pm On Jun 13, 2019
Truidstar:
Good news is the French Girls have some knocks. The coach is gonna make a lot of changes. Our defence was good against South Korea. Rita Chikwelu tends to lose the ball in midfield slot due to sloppy passes. You are right though, any error at the back might cost us. But we have a good goalie.

I was thinking about the long throws, that's what gonna cause the french defence some trouble, since they're not even good at corners

But it seems the coach is not thinking of it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 5:51pm On Jun 13, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

But fans can understand that a striker will not be stellar in such system and does not deserve to shoulder much blame because of limited chances.

Also, we should be bigger than being scared of South Africa to ruin our season to thus outplay them and still win. Docking our tails is sheer cowardice.
which system you like to dey shout sef, only mediocre players can't thrive in any system, because I'm sure no matter the tactics a coach uses he'll always have plan for goals. Suarez in Barça, beast Suarez in Uruguay beast. Giroud in fluid system good player Giroud as point man/police football beast. I can go on and on naming strikers who thrive in any system they find themselves. only an average/below average striker need plenty services to shine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 13, 2019
On the Super Eagles, Mikel "Pirlo" Obi running the midfield alongside Ndidi and Iwobi is a master stroke. Ola Aina, if he starts or not will develop into an absolute beast of a defender. We have a very good squad and team. Unlike Aigboguns SAMBISA Eleven.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:59pm On Jun 13, 2019
na pple wey no sabi watch ball dey say aina no good. he held his own in the serie A which made torino to sign him permanently which is a testament of his rise so far
Truidstar:
On the Super Eagles, Mikel "Pirlo" Obi running the midfield alongside Ndidi and Iwobi is a master stroke. Ola Aina, if he starts or not will develop into an absolute beast of a defender. We have a very good squad and team. Unlike Aigboguns SAMBISA Eleven.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:04pm On Jun 13, 2019
Icon79:
True. But I still think that the overriding factor in Rohr's decision was due to the fact that KC isn't playing much at LC. But he forgot to ask himself, if the other strikers are in KC's position, would any one them have played more games than KC.

And in addition, I don't like the way Rohr puts KC on the blast by telling the whole world that KC has attitude problems. If a player isn't doing something right, especially such a young player, the coach should call him aside and have a conversation with him. Going public by talking to the media isn't the right approach.

O pari

where did you keep this your energy preworld cup when forgiveness was fighting for Kayode's inclusion, using the same logic most people used to tag forgiveness a tribalist I think I can safely call everybody fighting for Iheanacho's inclusion tribalist. the argument for his inclusion no even make sense, see players like Eleke, Awoniyi, Odey and that one-cap player that used to play in Israel but now in Turkey they all had fine seasons but nobody has even said a word about them but our fellow forumites wants their darling iheanacho with 1 epl goal to be involved, una wicked and don't want the best for Nigeria

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:08pm On Jun 13, 2019
TheGoodJoe:
I beg. It is good Nacho is not going. My mind flashed back to that South Africa game where Rohr parked Bus. Shocking and unbelievable Rohr could stoop that low for South Africa. In such system, a striker like Nacho will be stranded up front and in no way can influence the game. Then people will write Nacho had a poor game against South Africa like it is his fault the coached opted for a negative set up where the attacker gets very limited good chances.

Why don't u talk about that beautiful pass Musa gave KC in the first half..All he had to do was to tap in..That tap in could have gotten him an AFCON spot today!
But alas his heavy touch happened..

U are really hell bent not to admit that ur boy has regressed....

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6173) (6174) (6175) (6176) (6177) (6178) (6179) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m), Odunayaw(m), Oasis007(m), Christinu2, chuks404 and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.