Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,396 members, 7,836,593 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6177) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11788464 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6174) (6175) (6176) (6177) (6178) (6179) (6180) ... (16196) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 13, 2019
SerVik:

You're absolutely having these discussions mixed up.

I replied to this comment of yours.
1 game can be deceitful.
Iheanacho is going through a massive slump in confidence, it takes more than just a game to erase that. Yes he might have a stellar performance that makes you think all is back to normal, but that doubt he now has in his ability will still creep in over the next couple of games.

It will take a string of consistently good performances to completely erase any such doubts. So yes, Rohr is absolutely right to drop him. And you would see this too if you weren't so blinded by your "love" for the boy.

that reminds me of Brian idowu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 6:16pm On Jun 13, 2019
If Nacho was to be selected, who then was supposed to have been dropped?
I just don't understand some peeps on this forum.
If it is forgiveness now, they will start calling him tribalist.
Nacho doesn't deserve to have been called up in the first place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 6:19pm On Jun 13, 2019
Though I admire our Girls however I don't see them holding France.
2nil or 3-1 in favour of France.
But they will give France a good game cos they have nothing to fear now..
Against the Koreans, they were a little afraid but after the goal they came out and played some really good football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:20pm On Jun 13, 2019
jihday:
where did you keep this your energy preworld cup when forgiveness was fighting for Kayode's inclusion, using the same logic most people used to tag forgiveness a tribalist I think I can safely call everybody fighting for Iheanacho's inclusion tribalist. the argument for his inclusion no even make sense, see players like Eleke, Awoniyi, Odey and that one-cap player that used to play in Israel but now in Turkey they all had fine seasons but nobody has even said a word about them but our fellow forumites wants their darling iheanacho with 1 epl goal to be involved, una wicked and don't want the best for Nigeria

Iheanacho has a big fan club here...The last two years on this thread was hell for anybody that criticized him... U point out one error,they tag u an hater...
we know who was the president,secretary,treasurer and PRO of the fan club self grin ..Some of them are stylishly trying to criticize him now..but na pretense... grin they will soon be back..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:21pm On Jun 13, 2019
I'm totally in the mood for the AFCON grin ..
Nothing is gonna stop me from enjoying it... ..Nothing at all.. grin ...

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 6:25pm On Jun 13, 2019
The way we humans can be often times, even we ourselves are confusing.

Few weeks back, almost everyone here agreed that KC would be dropped, the other player was what differs.

June 9 came, what we all knew, and bad hoped would happen, happened. And 4 days later, we are still going back and forth on how the same KC we touted to be dropped, could have made the team.

I mean, for real? Didn't we say he should and would be dropped? Why catching feelings thereafter?

The first criteria for national team selection has been club team form. Even while Ighalo was having a rough patch in national team, he kept scoring in his league, persistently kept churning out enticing performances.

What has KC done to entice anyone? If you can't perform, you're mostly axed. That's why there's competition. The strikers that he got axed for, compare their last season together and see why honestly, for the betterment of the team, you'd want KC to make the team.

It's not a big deal, players get dropped all the time. It's not surprising. Let's already get over him.

We are saying we're happy he was axed and that he gets to focus on his pre season, yet, we're still tweaking the team to accommodate him.

Seriously? undecided

Abeg, let's forge ahead honestly.

AFCON is here, in our front, and Iheanacho is not going to be a part.

The earlier we accept, the better for us.

We should be supporting the team, mainly, and not dragging the past along.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:32pm On Jun 13, 2019
jihday:
where did you keep this your energy preworld cup when forgiveness was fighting for Kayode's inclusion, using the same logic most people used to tag forgiveness a tribalist I think I can safely call everybody fighting for Iheanacho's inclusion tribalist. the argument for his inclusion no even make sense, see players like Eleke, Awoniyi, Odey and that one-cap player that used to play in Israel but now in Turkey they all had fine seasons but nobody has even said a word about them but our fellow forumites wants their darling iheanacho with 1 epl goal to be involved, una wicked and don't want the best for Nigeria

I don't think the like for Iheanacho is tribally rooted. Some of Iheanacho's strong lovers right from time are not Igbos: notefully : TheGoodJoe, Bascovanvelli, Humility, Joebie, Tbaba1234, Joseph1034 among other. So there is no basis for you to want to link the call for Iheanacho to tribalism.

And please keep that tribalism talk away.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:35pm On Jun 13, 2019
Danielnino00:

Why don't u talk about that beautiful pass Musa gave KC in the first half..All he had to do was to tap in..That tap in could have gotten him an AFCON spot today!
But alas his heavy touch happened..

U are really hell bent not to admit that ur boy has regressed....

That is why I keep talking about offensive systems.

In the game between Manchester City and Steaua Bucharest in one of the Champions league playoffs, Aguero missed two penalties. Going by your above point, then Aguero's career would have ended that day. He went on to score a hat trick in that game.

Misses are part of the game but our conservative plays make misses vital instead of part of the game. I have seen Aubameyang, Messi, CR7, Suarez miss loads in game and still deliver. This is due to the system of play creating chances for offensive players to excel.

However, with Rohr packing the bus, Nacho missing means the end of the World.

I would not blame the player there but the system. We need to be more inventive in our play and create loads for our forwards to excel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by austineaddy: 6:39pm On Jun 13, 2019
Icon79:
I totally 100% agree with you, bro. I am not one to second guess a coach on selection decision because I am of the opinion that a coach understands his team better than we the fans; however, I think that Rohr tends to put too much stock on how often the players are playing (or not playing) for their euro club sides. I don't totally agree with that because we've seen players who set the euro leagues on fire but turned out to be flops in green and white. Similarly, we've seen players who weren't having good seasons at their football clubs but still get it done when they put on the green and white.

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:39pm On Jun 13, 2019
jihday:
which system you like to dey shout sef, only mediocre players can't thrive in any system, because I'm sure no matter the tactics a coach uses he'll always have plan for goals. Suarez in Barça, beast Suarez in Uruguay beast. Giroud in fluid system good player Giroud as point man/police football beast. I can go on and on naming strikers who thrive in any system they find themselves. only an average/below average striker need plenty services to shine
Suarez on why he needs offensive systems to succeed:
“We worked hard on finding ways I could isolate players and then try to beat them, man on man. That was the only way I could succeed in England."

“If you punt a long ball up towards me and one of these [Premier League] defenders, I am not going to win it."

“But the way Liverpool played, with the ball on the floor, and being released very fast to my feet, gave me a chance against the big guys."
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:43pm On Jun 13, 2019
jihday:
which system you like to dey shout sef, only mediocre players can't thrive in any system, because I'm sure no matter the tactics a coach uses he'll always have plan for goals. Suarez in Barça, beast Suarez in Uruguay beast. Giroud in fluid system good player Giroud as point man/police football beast. I can go on and on naming strikers who thrive in any system they find themselves. only an average/below average striker need plenty services to shine

First of all, Suarez at Liverpool and Barcelona enjoyed similar possessive/offensive brands of football which favours him. His Uruguayan side have always played by keeping the ball on the ground while building up play.

Like the post earlier, Suarez knew the kind of systems that suited him. Keep in mind he played for Ajax before Liverpool who are also masters of possessive attacking play.

He always made moves that suited him and that was why I was critcal in a virulent way against Nacho's move to Leicester City because of their history of not holding on to the ball.

That is why I am optimistic of Nacho now at Leicester City because their brand of play is taking a revamping.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:45pm On Jun 13, 2019
Marjoribanks:
If Nacho was to be selected, who then was supposed to have been dropped?
I just don't understand some peeps on this forum.
If it is forgiveness now, they will start calling him tribalist.
Nacho doesn't deserve to have been called up in the first place.

I tayya for our ppu ,as if nacho na one superstar, or had a fantastic season

A goal in 30 games as a striker undecided

Last scored for eagles was in Nov 2017(against Argentina in a friendly)...dts almost 2years as a striker

Am sure if it was ighalo dt has dis stat as a striker,we no go hear word if he was invited in d preliminary list

Truly,deres double standard on dis thread, I do take it as a joke b4,now its becoming glaring, undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:46pm On Jun 13, 2019
“But the way Liverpool played, with the ball on the floor, and being released very fast to my feet, gave me a chance against the big guys." Suarez on how he likes his passing served.

This is why I am against Rohr’s system because it does not suit the way to get the best from Nacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:49pm On Jun 13, 2019
jihday:

Your top rated forwards all play in systems that creates loads for them to shine. You do not find Aubameyang, Lewandowski, CR7, Messi, Suarez, Lacazette, Salah, Mane, Aguero, Gabriel Jesus and a host of others playing in systems they will get a chance per game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:52pm On Jun 13, 2019
M7even:

Strive on goals and power play, see how u differentiate them as though that is the two yardstick to be a striker.

Yakubu aiyegbeni, Emmanuel emenike and rashidi yekini had both qualities.
It's just so bad that the quality of striker we have in this Era and KC just wanna drop the standard below what we have again.

Messi, Sterling, Suarez, Aubameyang, Lewandowski do not thrive on Powerplay. If Aiyegbeni was playing in this era, his style would be so redefined. Watch Firmino on his day, it is all about intelligent positioning, clever movement and meticulous reading of the game than Powerplay. All strikers do not play the same way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:55pm On Jun 13, 2019
SerVik:

You're absolutely having these discussions mixed up.

I replied to this comment of yours.
1 game can be deceitful.
Iheanacho is going through a massive slump in confidence, it takes more than just a game to erase that. Yes he might have a stellar performance that makes you think all is back to normal, but that doubt he now has in his ability will still creep in over the next couple of games.

It will take a string of consistently good performances to completely erase any such doubts. So yes, Rohr is absolutely right to drop him. And you would see this too if you weren't so blinded by your "love" for the boy.

That is what I am saying. Rohr already had his mind made up and his team selection ready. With giving Nacho game time and him pulling a good performance would have created confusion.

Playing Balogun took place because Rohr already made up his mind to take him to Egypt. If Balogun was not on the list and he pulled the kind of performance he did that night, tongues would have wagged.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 6:58pm On Jun 13, 2019
elyte89:

I tayya for our ppu ,as if nacho na one superstar, or had a fantastic season

A goal in 30 games as a striker undecided

Last scored for eagles was in Nov 2017(against Argentina in a friendly)...dts almost 2years as a striker

Am sure if it was ighalo dt has dis stat as a striker,we no go hear word if he was invited in d preliminary list

Truly,deres double standard on dis thread, I do take it as a joke b4,now its becoming glaring, undecided
Yours truly, triple standard self.
See the ridiculous excuses been given as to why Nacho should have made the team.
It's quite astonishing and eye opening.
Had it been it was Ighalo, you would have seen them calling for Rohr sack.
#absolutelydisgustingbehaviour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:58pm On Jun 13, 2019
I heard Osimhen was meant to be dropped and only made the squad because of Ighalo's injury concerns.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:00pm On Jun 13, 2019
Marjoribanks:
Though I admire our Girls however I don't see them holding France.
2nil or 3-1 in favour of France.
But they will give France a good game cos they have nothing to fear now..
Against the Koreans, they were a little afraid but after the goal they came out and played some really good football.
yes I agree sadly they will lose the match I'm just hoping we can keep it down to a low score and hope results elsewhere are in our favour
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:04pm On Jun 13, 2019
chrisooblog:
yes I agree sadly they will lose the match I'm just hoping we can keep it down to a low score and hope results elsewhere are in our favour
Exactly, I am just hoping other results will favour us.
I don't know why they always put us in tough groups? Eehhnn
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olu98: 7:07pm On Jun 13, 2019
edi287:
I heard Osimhen was meant to be dropped and only made the squad because of Ighalo's injury concerns.
lol. nice joke.
I also heard Mikel obi and wilf ndidi were meant to be dropped and only made the squad because we dont have enough midfielders.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 7:07pm On Jun 13, 2019
Marjoribanks:

Exactly, I am just hoping other results will favour us.
I don't know why they always put us in tough groups? Eehhnn

You are lucky to have whipping girls in your group

What would you think of South Africa who have to face China in a must win match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:11pm On Jun 13, 2019
Apples and oranges. Kelechi has scored 7 goals for Nigerian Super Eagles. How many goals has your beloved Kayode scored

And by the way, if I am that triablistic, why did I keep calling for the likes of Uzohor and Ezenwa to be bounced from the national team?

O pari

jihday:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:11pm On Jun 13, 2019
edi287:

Has Ighalo not fully recovered from the injury he sustained in China ??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:15pm On Jun 13, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2019
Mikel said he told Victor Moses not to go to Rio that he would go instead. He said when he came back from the olympics Conte never said he word to him.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:25pm On Jun 13, 2019
This will be Mikel's last AFCON. Doesn't fancy being a coach.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:26pm On Jun 13, 2019
Earthquake3:

Ehen? They have their whipping girls in that group na. South Africa. Every group has one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:29pm On Jun 13, 2019
Earthquake3:

Which team is ranked higher South Korea or China.
Do you know Spain is ranked 13th, Korea 14th and China 16th.
So what are you saying.
You too like to dey misyannn
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:31pm On Jun 13, 2019
Earthquake3:

Korea is ranked above China though

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dannyxy(m): 7:37pm On Jun 13, 2019
Earthquake3:

una too like to misyarn... True.. France go flog us, but how are South Korea a whipping team??

The are ranked 13, you are ranked 38.. So on what indices are you making this assumption? undecided.. Nawaa

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 7:37pm On Jun 13, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

That is what I am saying. Rohr already had his mind made up and his team selection ready. With giving Nacho game time and him pulling a good performance would have created confusion.

Playing Balogun took place because Rohr already made up his mind to take him to Egypt. If Balogun was not on the list and he pulled the kind of performance he did that night, tongues would have wagged.

Finito.
we've agreed on the bolded a long time ago na bros grin

I'm telling you that trusting on a much larger sample size (a full season) to make his decision instead of 1 game (as you are positing) was the best move by Rorh.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6174) (6175) (6176) (6177) (6178) (6179) (6180) ... (16196) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Taazenga(m), Lyster360 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.