Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,488 members, 7,847,015 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:29 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6193) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11842935 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6190) (6191) (6192) (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) ... (16240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:02pm On Jun 15, 2019
Mujtahida:

This is dead talk. It ruined our players psychologically before and during the WC. He should drop it.

Welcome back bro.

You see, Rohr would never learn. My only worry is if this is how he handles the team's pep talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:06pm On Jun 15, 2019
On a second thought, Rohr is being realistic based on the the quality of the players at our disposal. He is not trying to raise expectations. However, if he believes himself as a tactician he would have high ambitions. He never does, sadly
Icon4s:

That is unfortunately so.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:06pm On Jun 15, 2019
Icon4s:

People's development differ. Everyone cannot be stunted or diminished.

Unless the child starts over-producing the growth hormone (a disease condition called gigantism), it is highly unlikely.

However, some kids are born giants due to genetics. The former NBA star; Yao Ming was already 5ft 6 at just 10yrs of age
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:08pm On Jun 15, 2019
edi287:
Ikouwem Utin nominated for the Golden Boy 2019 award.

Hahahaha.

Golden boy abi Golden Papa grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:13pm On Jun 15, 2019
Joebie:
I would rather play Aina as a wingback.

Let me see your 3-5-2 formation

grin

Strictly personal.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 8:14pm On Jun 15, 2019
Icon4s:

Ighalo and Onuachu are not strikers with exceptional abilities. Osimhen though talented but is still young and still much work in progress.

I know people may want to blame it on supplies from the midfield and wings. But, even with the quality of our Wingers and midfield, our attack is not something to brag about.
but yet we ae favorites to win d trophy nd rohr is a coward for stating otherwise cry undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:14pm On Jun 15, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

You are missed Bro, same as Nerd. AFCON is here, let's enjoy it together on this Thread. We do not need to put more hope on the Team like some are doing. Mike-2 is actually doing balance Analysis. I respect his objectivity a lot.

Omonbala has spoken the bitter truth. The Squad is average, but we are happily believing they've reached the stardoms already. ChrisKels does open our Eyes that mostly our Players are better off as Carpenters, alas! He's being advised to change Nationality. Lol!

This was how we rated our U20 until we were disgraced honorably. Some of us argued that Aigbogun is a round Peg in the square hole, but we were told to unfollow the Team which we obliged satisfactory.

Bro, your inputs are needed, goldfish is another notable Moniker i am missing on this Thread.

Support them but be open minded. Don't be surprised if they draw against Burundi. There re no minnows in African football and our boys have not yet learnt to assert their dominance
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:15pm On Jun 15, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Strictly personal.

Musa from me should start from the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:19pm On Jun 15, 2019
Danielnino00:

As average as our squad is,we still have the quality to rival the best teams on the Continent... we have the talent bro..we always have..

Rohr is the problem here..His tactic is the major undoing of this team.. I used to like him until I saw his lineup against Croatia... what made me even madder was the fact that he played enough friendly games that showed us the best formation that would work for the team against European oppositions and the best players for each role..and he went ahead to start with a 4-2-3-1 and Shehu..Iwobi on the flanks . I'm still mad about it bro..still very mad..

If he won't win us the AFCON or at least get to d final with some really good performance he should be sacked!!

On this I quite agree with you but note the word "Quite".

While Rohr definitely employs wrong tactics with little attacking play, you will agree with me that he has been instrumental to the development of some of our young players, ensuring they sign for the right clubs and get good playing time. And he had to build thi present squad from scratch notwithstanding the trial and errors. We ought to at least give him credit for that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:20pm On Jun 15, 2019
wayodude:

Please can you name some exceptional strikers Nigeria has had in the past?

There's something I'm trying to figure out.

You cannot be asking me this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:21pm On Jun 15, 2019
Earthquake3:

This team will not beat Portugal not talk of France grin

With a good coach, they will. You will be surprised
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:22pm On Jun 15, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Pre -AFCON Friendly: Super Eagles To Adopt 3-5-2 Formation Vs Senegal

Nigeria’s Super Eagles will adopt a 3-5-2 formation in Sunday’s pre- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations friendly encounter against the Terangha Lions of Senegal at the Ismaila, Stadium, Completesports.com reports.

The three-time time champions played a 4-4-2 formation in last Saturday’s friendly clash against the Warriors of Zimbabwe at the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba which ended in a goalless draw.

Head coach of the side, Completesports.com learnt is however prepared to change his formation against the Senegalese who are one of the favourites to win the competition.

The Super Eagles lined-up in the same formation in their penultimate AFCON 2019 qualifying game against the Bafana Bafana of South in Johannesburg which ended in a 1-1 draw.

The trio of Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong and Kenneth Omeruo are expected to occupy the three centre-back positions in the formation, while Jamilu Collins will feature in the left wing-back position.

It however remain to be seen who will play at right wing-back position amongst the trio of Samuel Kalu, Ola Aina and Shehu Abdullahi.

Nigeria are in Group B of the showpiece and they will begin their campaign for a fourth Afcon title against Burundi at the Alexandria Stadium on June 22.

Completesport.

Na Iwobi resemble "Obatala" for there

cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:25pm On Jun 15, 2019
Lucque:
Some of u guys here never cease to amaze
wen some coaches brag abt their teams nd how they will go all d way to win games nd trophies... Ud come here nd start saying they only know how to brag or wag their mouths..
Rohr is talking small nd removing d pressure off d players nd allowing dem play their football free of d burden of expectation nd u ppl are complaining...
Lemme ask those smart enof to think... Has rohr ever played defensively or played a formation dat looks like we want to sit back nd take a beating even tho he always says we arent favorite??

If u believe dat just because d coach says we arent favorites it will make d players want d trophy any less den ur just not thinking straight

Nd if u believe he will not lose his job if he performs poorly with d team just becos he is calming down expectations den ur just a learner (No offense?)

So ppl should just chill
Abeg gustav gimme dat ur L picture

What people are saying is that his choice of words to describe his team seem to be doing more harm than good. They are citing the WC 2018 as a perfect example. While I understand the need to make them play free of pressure, the wrong words could kill their confidence too. As i said earlier, its the pep talks behind the scene that really matters sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:29pm On Jun 15, 2019
charlesemeka85:

According to tuttomercatoweb, Roma and Bologna are interested in signing Paul Onuachu.

I hope this guy leaves Denmark after AFCON, for his football sake
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 8:30pm On Jun 15, 2019
darkelf:

Musa from me should start from the bench

Musa is the free running CF you need in a 3-5-2
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 15, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:40pm On Jun 15, 2019
Yes it is.
Earthquake3:
Is it possible that this boy is U12
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:50pm On Jun 15, 2019
Joebie:
On a second thought, Rohr is being realistic based on the the quality of the players at our disposal. He is not trying to raise expectations. However, if he believes himself as a tactician he would have high ambitions. He never does, sadly
Agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:51pm On Jun 15, 2019
Icon4s:

You cannot be asking me this

The attack is as good as there is on the continent. Firstly sure the attack is not made up of the Centre Forwards alone, right? No need to go into further detail on that point.

As for Osimhen and Onachu, these are strikers high on confidence following very successful seasons at club level. They lack international exposure BUT this may also work to their advantage! They offer the physicallity required when facing African defenders, the aerial threat severely lacking in the team in recent years AND most importantly they score goals!!

With these players mixed and deployed effectively with the underappreciated Ighalo, who in my view will make the squad of every team in the tournament and the likes of Musa, Iwobi, Simon and Chukwueze providing support we can be hopeful of some excitement to come.

We do not have a blunt attack, not even from a pessimistic view point. We are 3rd favourite to win the thing!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:55pm On Jun 15, 2019
comodo:

Peeps Putting trust on Osihmen to lead the line. I laf. The dude will be bullied & bullied until he will beg to be substituted. Best bet is bring him in when opposition defense is already tired.

Osimhen has played essentially his first season of first team football. He yet to be proven let's be realistic good potential. But he is not playing for Real Madrid he is playing in the Belguim league and not for the best team.

And people want to compare him with Ighalo.

My preference is for Onuachu more experienced should not be over come by the occasion and gives us more options up front.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:56pm On Jun 15, 2019
“After I missed the World Cup, I bounced back quickly and moved on. You take that disappointment and turn it into hunger and desire to be in this tournament and be selected. It has just pushed me to be even more determined. Now I'm ready to go and do my best...”

— Aina

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:05pm On Jun 15, 2019
komekn:

Osimhen has played essentially his first season of first team football. He yet to be proven let's be realistic good potential. But he is not playing for Real Madrid he is playing in the Belguim league and not for the best team.

And people want to compare him with Ighalo.

My preference is for Onuachu more experienced should not be over come by the occasion and gives us more options up front.

Bros, some times I forget u are a Nigerian grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:28pm On Jun 15, 2019
Icon4s:

My brother if you ask me, We are going to this AFCON with a blunt attack.
so who would you have chosen instead? this attack is the best we can boast of
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 15, 2019
Icon4s..I will be routine for Colombia tonight against Messi Argentina tonight tongue

Will be streaming it live..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 9:36pm On Jun 15, 2019
grin grin grin When i heard Super Eagles would be playing 3-5-2 at Afcon. Percy Tau on my mind. Ekong & Omeruo marking same player exposing the whole backline. Kalu constantly overhitting crosses. Slow reactions from the players when in possesion. Iwobi missing in action after 3 to 4 passes till he get substituted. grin grin grin. The Coach has no drive to motivate players for championship triumph. Its not in him. Too conservative.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:39pm On Jun 15, 2019
Earthquake3:
We'll be praying that Canada women beat New Zealand so the way may be clear for our women

#Also for my bet
Canada currently winning New Zealand by 2-0 ATM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:39pm On Jun 15, 2019
Man united fans want Ndidi and Bruno Fernandes as dream signing

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 9:43pm On Jun 15, 2019
andrew444:
Man united fans want Ndidi and Bruno Fernandes as dream signing

I'm a Man U fan and I really want us to sign Ndidi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 9:52pm On Jun 15, 2019
nelszx:

Canada currently winning New Zealand by 2-0 ATM

Good news
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:56pm On Jun 15, 2019
andrew444:

So because he is young he will be bullied ?

How many Epl defenders have bullied Gabriel Jesus or rashford due to their small stature and they are still very young ?

people tire me for this thread nor be small...
should 90% of the teams heading for afcon have a player like Awoniyi and Oshimen I am so sure he will make their 23 man list and may even play top 9 for some top countries too.

here some Rohr friends are writing off the team...especially oga icon4s.

a player that could score over 20 goals for a modest Belgian club in a season...
give that player to teams like Ghana watch him play.

oshimen is a good finisher...he will surely compliment ighalo...as long he is never short of supplies from the midfield dude will deliver....

emenike prior the 2013 afcon was playing in Russia I think and I am not sure he scored up to 20 goals then.
doing well in major tournaments like afcon is a more of bravery

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:58pm On Jun 15, 2019
jihday:
so who would you have chosen instead? this attack is the best we can boast of

don't mind them....a good group outing will boast our strikers confidence.
ask them if Sunday Mba was a renowned player prior the 2013 afcon we won in RSA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:02pm On Jun 15, 2019
Icon4s:

My brother if you ask me, We are going to this AFCON with a blunt attack.

Bobo yi funny gan

So nacho inclusion would av made it sharper.. grin grin grin

Abeg who una get again?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6190) (6191) (6192) (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) ... (16240) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: akwesenana, Dsimmer and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.