Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,511 members, 7,830,524 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6195) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11756465 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6192) (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) (6197) (6198) ... (16184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:12am On Jun 16, 2019
barackodam:

It is culled, sir

Yeah, a mistake. The error was from the autocorrect system on my phone. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:13am On Jun 16, 2019
Danielnino00:

Nairalanders 10 years later be like " His real age is 40" grin
more like andrew and crew
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:21am On Jun 16, 2019
Gernot Rohr on whether he is under pressure to win in Egypt

We are not under any pressure going to Egypt because we have been away since 2013; we didn’t go in 2015 and 2017 and so how we can be under pressure when we have missed the last two tournaments (general laughter)? We are going to Egypt to do our best because it was success to have been able to qualify for the tournament, but now we must do more in Egypt. There has been good progress after the World Cup in Russia and you know we had a tough AFCON qualifying group with Libya and South Africa; so to qualify is already a success for our team. But we go to Egypt with a lot of possibilities and we need to be very fit to be able to play the maximum seven matches at the AFCON. We need to work really hard to be able to win something at the AFCON; and like we have a good atmosphere and team spirit which is very important if we are going to succeed. As you know, we have good young boys in this team now and with the experience we had in Russia, it is perfect for us.

Culled from The Nation

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:24am On Jun 16, 2019
Clementoke:

We are not under any pressure going to Egypt because we have been away since 2013; we didn’t go in 2015 and 2017 and so how we can be under pressure when we have missed the last two tournaments (general laughter)? We are going to Egypt to do our best because it was success to have been able to qualify for the tournament, but now we must do more in Egypt. There has been good progress after the World Cup in Russia and you know we had a tough AFCON qualifying group with Libya and South Africa; so to qualify is already a success for our team. But we go to Egypt with a lot of possibilities and we need to be very fit to be able to play the maximum seven matches at the AFCON. We need to work really hard to be able to win something at the AFCON; and like we have a good atmosphere and team spirit which is very important if we are going to succeed. As you know, we have good young boys in this team now and with the experience we had in Russia, it is perfect for us.

Culled from The Nation

Maximum seven matches......... The coach is actually dreaming of getting to the final

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:34am On Jun 16, 2019
Nigeria drop to 45th position in new FIFA Ranking.

We are now 3rd in Africa

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:37am On Jun 16, 2019
Clementoke:

Maximum seven matches......... The coach is actually dreaming of getting to the final

How some people actually fail to see that Rohr is just applying common sense in his utterance to the media beat my imagination...

I mean great managers like Pep and Klopp dont go about bragging about winning before the game itself starts

Anyway sha, every man to his own

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:39am On Jun 16, 2019
Clementoke:

Culled from The Nation

Anything outside the top 8 is a failure but I want to win this thing and I believe we can.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:44am On Jun 16, 2019
Only Egypt (15) have made more AFCON semi final appearance than Nigeria and Ghana (14)

In fact, only thrice have the super eagles actually failed to reach the semi final..
The best record by any African team....

#FiveDaysToGo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:51am On Jun 16, 2019
Nigeria at the AFCON

Appearance: 17

Games played: 86

Win: 46

Draw: 21

Lost: 19

Goals scored :123

Goals conceded: 82

3 titles!

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:16am On Jun 16, 2019
He doesn’t need to brag. We have known Rohr for a while. you don’t necessarily have to boast to sound ambitious.

charlesemeka85:
So you want him to go all over the media bragging on his team will run rags on teams and win the afcon With no stress? Weldone sir!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 11:22am On Jun 16, 2019
Danielnino00:
Nigeria at the AFCON

Appearance: 17

Games played: 86

Win: 46

Draw: 21

Lost: 19

Goals scored :123

Goals conceded: 82

3 titles!
Should be 5 by now if not for daylight robbery of Maroc 88 & Nig/Ghana 2000 by Issa Hayatou.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:24am On Jun 16, 2019
Better said Mr Rohr. For once u have spoken like a coach with a mission.

Clementoke:
Rohr : Super Eagles Will Fight Hard To Win AFCON 2019 Title
Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr has stated that the team will give their all to win a fourth Africa Cup of Nations title in Egypt, reports Completesports.com.

The three-time African champions who missed the last two editions of the tournament were drawn in a significantly weak group alongside Guinea, as well as the duo of Madagascar and Burundi who are set to participate in their first ever AFCON.

Hosts Egypt, Senegal and Morocco are among the favourites to win the competition but Rohr insists the Super Eagles will fight hard to win the title.

“This team has a good mixture of youthfulness and experience. The atmosphere in and around the team is very good. We are also working very hard in training,” Rohr disclosed in a video interview on the official Twitter handle of the Super Eagles.

“We gave good strikers and good defenders in the team. For now, we don’t know who our number one goalkeeper will be. We have to decide that after two weeks of preparation.

“I think our major strength is in the solidarity team. The players are willing to help each other out. We have eight new players in the team, which can help us at the end of the day.

“The experience of Obi Mikel will also help us. Everyone is happy that he is back in the team because they all want him back. I just hope we won’t have any injury problem going into the competition.

“It’s important not to put pressure on the young players, but I can assure that we will work and fight hard in Egypt. We will do everything we can to win the trophy.

“Sometimes, you need the help of God of football to achieve your objective. We want to win it for Nigerians but it important to also stay humble. We will fight till end to win the trophy. ”

After their final friendly match against Senegal in Ismailia Stadium on Sunday, the Super Eagles will depart for Alexandria, where they will play all their Group B games.

Nigeria will play Burundi on June 22 followed by fixtures against Guinea and Madagascar, on June 26 and June 30 respectively.

Called from Complete sport
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:28am On Jun 16, 2019
Top 8? grin
I’m banking on top 4. I want us to win it, but I think we will be top 4. Well let’s wait to see the group games.

BascoVanVeli:

Anything outside the top 8 is a failure but I want to win this thing and I believe we can.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:32am On Jun 16, 2019
I would play a fit Ighalo partnering Musa upfront. Aina as RWB. Simon as LWB.
Kalu to come in depending on the run of play.

Iwobi for Etebo

Oasis007:

grin

Strictly personal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:41am On Jun 16, 2019
Joebie:
Top 8? grin
I’m banking on top 4. I want us to win it, but I think we will be top 4. Well let’s wait to see the group games.

me too, top 8 will be a failure
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:45am On Jun 16, 2019
grin..chriskel over to u

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:46am On Jun 16, 2019
Joebie:

Iwobi for Etebo

Why not Aina at LWB instead?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 11:49am On Jun 16, 2019
It is not only that the black man put fellow blacks down...it is also that he..the black man has little or no analytical and investigative thoroughness...it does not come ordinarily and naturally to him..UNLESS YOU TRAIN HIM TO FOLLOW THE PROCESS TO ARRIVE AT RESULTS...

He would take one look and make a judgement...WITHOUT FACTS...Seen here by some us who take one look and declare a probable age of a player ....JUST ASSUMPTION AND EMOTION....

AND GIVEN TO CONSUMPTION WITHOUT PRODUCTION.... Seen here by copious display of knowledge of and attachment to already packaged EPL

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by naturecures: 11:53am On Jun 16, 2019
Clementoke:

what a mindset, such would help anyone narrow his ambition
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 11:57am On Jun 16, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Between 1980 and 2013, Nigeria failed to make the top 4 only twice.

We should have gone past top 8.

For me, anything below semis is a failure. I don't care that there are now 24 teams competing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 11:59am On Jun 16, 2019
Though a friendly...i liked the way Uganda organised their defense in yesterday s friendly with CIV...Though their attack was null..the midfield and defense was so compact...and their goalkeeper was something else...CIV lost 0-1 to Uganda...Uganda has a team...CIV played like individuals...the way the carried the ball was eyesore...uganda s positioning was superb...boy... see hard tackles...i liked what i saw....It was a pointer to shockers that await big teams at AFCON

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2019
So Argentina lost earlier to Colombia?? 2- NIL.

LWKMD.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2019
Joebie:
Top 8? grin

From a team that is just returning after 2 straight misses? grin next time you will come and be saying that I am over patriotic grin if we get top 4 then Rohr is a success no matter what any Nigerian will have to say.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:07pm On Jun 16, 2019
Joebie:

Iwobi for Etebo

The Ighalo Musa partnership is something I look forward to seeing at the AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 12:08pm On Jun 16, 2019
On COPA AMERICA...Colombia played as if they were playing in the final....Everybody showed up...no spaces...they tackled...heckled..rustled..strangled...mauled Argentine players....THEY PLAYED WITHOUT FEAR....and finally scored two enthralling goals...

I liked what i saw yesterday...Columbia played to die `let us beat Argentina and go home` grin grin

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 12:11pm On Jun 16, 2019
jihday:
I hope curtisaxel, joebi and the rest of the Rohr doesn't brag crew are reading this

Lol. Now I am convinced that Rohr is a member of this thread. grin

Is it a coincidence that we criticized him for making deafeatist statements just yesterday and today he issued another statement making a complete U- turn?. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:18pm On Jun 16, 2019
iSlayer:
So Argentina lost earlier to Colombia?? 2- NIL.

LWKMD.

Where you expecting argentina to beat colombia?

Did you watch colombia at the 2018 world cup?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Shukusheka(m): 12:29pm On Jun 16, 2019
One question; Why is the continent blessed with so many talents yet there is a dearth of good attacking midfielders? Even our super Eagles for over a decade now can't boast of a single decent attacking midfielder.

Why?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:43pm On Jun 16, 2019
Clementoke:

A team that finishes 4th also plays 7matches grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:46pm On Jun 16, 2019
jihday:
I hope curtisaxel, joebi and the rest of the Rohr doesn't brag crew are reading this

please chill the man is just turning a new leaf
the demeaning statements he made earlier makes no sense
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:47pm On Jun 16, 2019
Arsenal: The time is now to move Alex Iwobi to central midfield

by Nikesh Teckwani4 days agoFollow @nteckwani24

Pain in the Arsenal

Arsenal have already been strongly linked to several wingers this offseason, making now the opportune time to move Alex Iwobi into central midfield.

Alex Iwobi, who joined Arsenal while still in primary school, has been one of the most polarizing figures at the club in recent years. While most fans still cheer on the Academy graduate, there have been constant frustrations about his lack of end-product and quality in the final third of the pitch.

The importance of having clinical wide players is obvious when looking up the table, and it is arguably Arsenal’s biggest need this summer.

Manchester City have Sterling, Sane, and Mahrez; Liverpool have Salah, Mane, and Shaqiri; and, although they lost Hazard, Chelsea still have a solid blend of youth and experience with Christian Pulisic joining the likes of Pedro, Willian, and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

The fact of the matter is that Arsenal never truly replaced Alexis Sanchez, Theo Walcott, or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, all whom have departed in the last two seasons.

The failure to address this gaping hole in the squad forced a reliance on Iwobi to perform in a position where he clearly doesn’t thrive. This ultimately led Unai Emery to utilize wingbacks far more frequently towards the end of the season in an effort to bring at least some width to the side.

Iwobi’s five goals and eight assists in all competitions were an improvement, but those numbers are still a far cry from what is needed at this level. It is therefore no surprise at all to see this club linked with more natural wingers like Yannick Carrasco and Ryan Fraser.

While Granit Xhaka and Lucas Torreira are the preferred midfield starters, Emery may want to experiment more with his favored 4-3-3 formation next season. With Aaron Ramsey gone, a new midfield signing is on the agenda, but Iwobi should also be in contention.

He may never be a prolific goalscorer, but Iwobi still has many excellent attributes; he brings much needed pace and energy to the team and is one of the very few natural ball carriers in the squad. These qualities can be especially vital if Xhaka remains a starter, given his obvious lack of mobility.

Therefore, due to the balance he can bring to the midfield, Iwobi should certainly be ahead of youngsters like Matteo Guendouzi and Joe Willock in the pecking order.

In short, Arsenal have misused Iwobi for too long; the vast majority of the Nigerian’s first-team appearances have come from the wing or in a wide attacking midfield role.

Adding natural width to the squad this summer therefore takes on an added significance, as it should give Emery the freedom to use players like Iwobi in their most suited positions and hopefully unlock their full potential.

At 23-years-old and now entering his fifth season as a member of the first-team, it is time for Alex Iwobi to seize the moment

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:48pm On Jun 16, 2019
Shukusheka:
One question; Why is the continent blessed with so many talents yet there is a dearth of good attacking midfielders? Even our super Eagles for over a decade now can't boast of a single decent attacking midfielder.

Why?

I think the so much exposure to European football has brought us to this realization. U are unconsciosly comparing African players with European and South American players. We are not at par.

This is the African nations' Cup don't expect too much attack and Fire power. A competition that is usually characterized by numerous goaless draws and Penalty shoot outs.

Look at even the recent friendlies results: So many 0:0 and 1:0 results.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6192) (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) (6197) (6198) ... (16184) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: tikristinimi21, Ajd19 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.