Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,877 members, 7,851,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:54 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6196) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11877540 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) (6197) (6198) (6199) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:50pm On Jun 16, 2019
klexycole:

I hope Humility is reading this, because one time he's supporting Rohr, the other time he's calling him a failure. One time he's calling for Kelechi's removal from the squad, the other time, he's opposing his removal.

Some people don't just know what they want.
grin
grin
I want the AFCON trophy.
rohr and his guys better win or steal the trophy...which ever one I just WANT the trophy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:56pm On Jun 16, 2019
BascoVanVeli:
Arsenal: The time is now to move Alex Iwobi to central midfield

by Nikesh Teckwani4 days agoFollow @nteckwani24

Pain in the Arsenal

Arsenal have already been strongly linked to several wingers this offseason, making now the opportune time to move Alex Iwobi into central midfield.

Alex Iwobi, who joined Arsenal while still in primary school, has been one of the most polarizing figures at the club in recent years. While most fans still cheer on the Academy graduate, there have been constant frustrations about his lack of end-product and quality in the final third of the pitch.

The importance of having clinical wide players is obvious when looking up the table, and it is arguably Arsenal’s biggest need this summer.

Manchester City have Sterling, Sane, and Mahrez; Liverpool have Salah, Mane, and Shaqiri; and, although they lost Hazard, Chelsea still have a solid blend of youth and experience with Christian Pulisic joining the likes of Pedro, Willian, and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

The fact of the matter is that Arsenal never truly replaced Alexis Sanchez, Theo Walcott, or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, all whom have departed in the last two seasons.

The failure to address this gaping hole in the squad forced a reliance on Iwobi to perform in a position where he clearly doesn’t thrive. This ultimately led Unai Emery to utilize wingbacks far more frequently towards the end of the season in an effort to bring at least some width to the side.

Iwobi’s five goals and eight assists in all competitions were an improvement, but those numbers are still a far cry from what is needed at this level. It is therefore no surprise at all to see this club linked with more natural wingers like Yannick Carrasco and Ryan Fraser.

While Granit Xhaka and Lucas Torreira are the preferred midfield starters, Emery may want to experiment more with his favored 4-3-3 formation next season. With Aaron Ramsey gone, a new midfield signing is on the agenda, but Iwobi should also be in contention.

He may never be a prolific goalscorer, but Iwobi still has many excellent attributes; he brings much needed pace and energy to the team and is one of the very few natural ball carriers in the squad. These qualities can be especially vital if Xhaka remains a starter, given his obvious lack of mobility.

Therefore, due to the balance he can bring to the midfield, Iwobi should certainly be ahead of youngsters like Matteo Guendouzi and Joe Willock in the pecking order.

In short, Arsenal have misused Iwobi for too long; the vast majority of the Nigerian’s first-team appearances have come from the wing or in a wide attacking midfield role.

Adding natural width to the squad this summer therefore takes on an added significance, as it should give Emery the freedom to use players like Iwobi in their most suited positions and hopefully unlock their full potential.

At 23-years-old and now entering his fifth season as a member of the first-team, it is time for Alex Iwobi to seize the moment

Unfortunately Emery has not offloaded Ozil who to me is a great liability to the club.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 1:03pm On Jun 16, 2019
Icon4s:

Unfortunately Emery has not offloaded Ozil who to me a great liability to the club.

He'll have his injuries
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 1:04pm On Jun 16, 2019
Icon4s:

A team that finishes 4th also plays 7matches grin

I shared an earlier post were he said they will fight hard to win the cup. Let's correlate that with the maximum seven matches he wants to play

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:04pm On Jun 16, 2019
Curtisaxel7:

Lol. Now I am convinced that Rohr is a member of this thread. grin

Is it a coincidence that we criticized him for making deafeatist statements just yesterday and today he issued another statement making a complete U- turn?. grin
lol, for your mind
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:06pm On Jun 16, 2019
Icon4s:

I think the so much exposure to European football has brought us to this realization. U are unconsciosly comparing African players with European and South American players. We are not at par.

This is the African nations' Cup don't expect too much attack and Fire power. A competition that is usually characterized by numerous goaless draws and Penalty shoot outs.

Look at even the recent friendlies results: So many 0:0 and 1:0 results.
exactly my thought, that's why I don't think this 24-man team is a good idea, we'll just be getting lots of 0-0 1-0 and 1-1 score lines
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zayyadidris(m): 1:07pm On Jun 16, 2019
Does it mean as its closed door, it won't be broadcasted or people won't be allowed into the stadium or both?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 1:14pm On Jun 16, 2019
Curtisaxel7:

Is it a coincidence that we criticized him for making deafeatist statements just yesterday and today he issued another statement making a complete U- turn?. grin

I don't agree with you because Rohr has always been one who knows how to strike a balance between reality and expections

This interview was before the 2-1 away win at the Levy Mwanawasa stadium in Zambia (the first game in the 2018 WCQ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8XX17KJn0c
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 1:14pm On Jun 16, 2019
Rohr to name Akpeyi as SE number 1

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:27pm On Jun 16, 2019
jihday:
exactly my thought, that's why I don't think this 24-man team is a good idea, we'll just be getting lots of 0-0 1-0 and 1-1 score lines

The truth is, African teams are not far apart from each other anymore.

There are no stand out teams. Matches involving teams in the top 10 can easily go either ways.

We have come to a stage where teams like Nigeria, Ghana, CIV can longer push aside teams like Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe and Namibia. Teams we used to trash 3:0 - 4:0 even in AFCONs.

Good thing is the 2019 tournament is to be staged in Egypt where they have good pitches. Maybe that would help the better teams express themselves better.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 1:28pm On Jun 16, 2019
zayyadidris:
Does it mean as its closed door, it won't be broadcasted or people won't be allowed into the stadium or both?

I was about to ask same
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 1:42pm On Jun 16, 2019
Humility017:

grin
I want the AFCON trophy.
rohr and his guys better win or steal the trophy...which ever one I just WANT the trophy

I'm with you bro lol I want the thing. Finish
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:01pm On Jun 16, 2019
Happy birthday to the Super Eagles Hit man, Odion Jude Ighalo. May the good Lord grant you many blessed years ahead.

Praying for your quick recovery and brilliant AFCON tournament.

Toast to one of the good guys Ighalo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:07pm On Jun 16, 2019
zayyadidris:
yes to both, only accredited personnel. so you'll have to make use of live updates from NFF twitter handle and other respected news outlet
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 2:07pm On Jun 16, 2019
Thailand have already conceded one in 5 minutes

Poor girls
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:08pm On Jun 16, 2019
Icon4s:

The truth is, African teams are not far apart from each other anymore.

There are no stand out teams. Matches involving teams in the top 10 can easily go either ways.

We have come to a stage where teams like Nigeria, Ghana, CIV can longer push aside teams like Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe and Namibia. Teams we used to trash 3:0 - 4:0 even in AFCONs.

Good thing is the 2019 tournament is to be staged in Egypt where they have good pitches. Maybe that would help the better teams express themselves better.
hopefully, the 2006 tournament was exciting
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:09pm On Jun 16, 2019
jihday:
hopefully, the 2006 tournament was exciting

Yeah, hosted also by Egypt.
There were plenty of goals in that tournament
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:20pm On Jun 16, 2019
elyte89:
grin..chriskel over to u

The look on his face though grin

Dude is looking disappointed in him own selfish due to his failures to hit target. This pic was taken after he missed that chance against Seychelles, then, suddenly Awaziem scored and he was so pained. U could see the pains in his eyes grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 2:28pm On Jun 16, 2019
Ndidi 'flattered' by Man Utd links, but insists focus is on AFCON

The Foxes midfielder has been linked with some of the biggest names in the Premier League, but he only has eyes on Nigeria's AFCON campaign
Leicester City star Wilfred Ndidi has admitted he is “flattered” to be linked with a big money move away from the King Power Stadium, but insists his focus is currently on Nigeria’s bid to win the Africa Cup of Nations.

The midfielder was an ever-present for the Foxes in the Premier League last season, and enjoyed an eye-catching campaign – particularly once Brendan Rogers had taken the managerial reigns in February this year.

Perhaps not surprisingly, his form has attracted the attention of some of England’s biggest clubs, with Manchester United, Arsenal and Champions League winners Liverpool all credited with an interest in the 22-year-old.

But, while Ndidi has acknowledged such reports are complimentary, his feet remain firmly on the ground as he looks to make his mark in Egypt over the next five weeks, and in the blue of Leicester beyond that.

“I am flattered when hearing such a thing,” Ndidi, who arrived in the Premier League from Belgian club Genk in a £14m deal in early 2017, told Goal.

“It is very good to hear about that interest from big clubs, but there is nothing on the ground so I won't care about it.

“I am focusing on AFCON with Nigeria now, and then pre-season with Leicester City. We have a great manager with ambition to compete with big clubs in the Premier League.”

Nigeria open their AFCON campaign against Burundi in Alexandria on Saturday, and are overwhelming favourites to qualify for the last 16 from a group that also contains Guinea and Madagascar.

Ndidi, however, is taking nothing for granted ahead of next weekend’s opener, and claims one of the biggest potential challenges could well come from one of his former Leicester team-mates as well as the tournament’s other big hitters from the likes of Egypt and Senegal.

“Mohamed Salah is a very good player,” he says. “I’ve played against him three times – he’s a great finisher and very fast. Sadio Mane is also a very good player.

“But the toughest one for me is (Algeria’s) Riyad Mahrez. He was at Leicester and we trained together every day before he left for Manchester City.

“He is very difficult, skinny and very technical. You have to slow down to take him out - if you go fast he will finish you in seconds.

“I don’t think that it is an easy group. For me, there is no easy team in modern football. The name does not matter – the only thing that matters in the 90 minutes of the game.

“We can get a shock from this group, so we have to stay focused on the game, not on how easy it is, and ignore what people say.

“We will play tough games against very good teams, and our target is to be on the top by the end of the group stages.”

With a warm-up friendly against Senegal to come on Sunday, Nigeria’s attempt to reach next month’s final in Cairo will depend heavily on the form of Ndidi and his midfield co-star John Obi Mikel.

The former Chelsea man and Nigeria’s captain, now 32, was something of a hero of Ndidi’s during his younger days, and his influence in the middle of the park for the Super Eagles could have a huge bearing on their fate.

“It is great to play with him,” admits Ndidi. “I grew up watching Mikel. He is my role model and playing alongside him is a great thing

“He is very calm, a good captain, and he gives advice to everyone and speaks with everyone. When you talk to him, he is very humble.

“It is a plus to the team having such a player. We grew up watching him, and now we’re playing with him he gives us more confidence

“With our current players, coach and staff, I think we can do something great. The important thing is to try to win games as much as we can.

“We cannot talk about winning the cup now - we will deal with it game by game and see what will happen. There are many good teams here

Culled from goal.com

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:35pm On Jun 16, 2019
ChrisKels:

The look on his face though grin

Dude is looking disappointed in him own selfish due to his failures to hit target. This pic was taken after he missed that chance against Argentina. grin
Only that in the match against Argentina they wore the deep green jersey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:44pm On Jun 16, 2019
I’m sure other Nigerians did. He had to react to that. I’ve never heard Rohr sound ambitious until those very recent quotes.
Curtisaxel7:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 3:15pm On Jun 16, 2019
Humility017:

grin
I want the AFCON trophy.

SARS, here's the guy! shocked Arrest him! grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:56pm On Jun 16, 2019
klexycole:

SARS, here's the guy! shocked Arrest him! grin
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:00pm On Jun 16, 2019
Earthquake3:
Thailand have already conceded one in 5 minutes

Poor girls
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:17pm On Jun 16, 2019
Do you make money from Fantasy premier league

I want to start it, cc Safarigirl
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 4:19pm On Jun 16, 2019
DrLikita12:
Kano State U13s
Pictures are from the NFF IG handle

[img]
https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/9637891_20190616103253_jpegb8220562ff275fbeb194a39c7c6a0fd1 [/img]

Excellent. Absolutely marvellous.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:23pm On Jun 16, 2019
Is he a Nigerian

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

O pari o

Earthquake3:
Is it possible that this boy is U12

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 5:09pm On Jun 16, 2019
Icon4s:

A team that finishes 4th also plays 7matches grin

Exactly. Not bd either way. Semi is actually enough achievement in my view.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:27pm On Jun 16, 2019
I heard eurosport might be showing the game today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:35pm On Jun 16, 2019
Earthquake3:
Do you make money from Fantasy premier league

I want to start it, cc Safarigirl
i haven't tried that route, however, people make money off it. There are certain groups people join for the FPL that have prize money and sometimes, people stake bets

Are you on Twitter?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 5:50pm On Jun 16, 2019
safarigirl:
i haven't tried that route, however, people make money off it. There are certain groups people join for the FPL that have prize money and sometimes, people stake bets

Are you on Twitter?

Yes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:53pm On Jun 16, 2019
Earthquake3:

Yes
when the season is about to begin, look out for FPL groups, codes will be shared onnprivate groups for FPL. You can search specifically for FPL groups. I could also help you look out for some, if you wish

(1) (2) (3) ... (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) (6197) (6198) (6199) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: UncleHaba22, cromz(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.