Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6299) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11618003 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6296) (6297) (6298) (6299) (6300) (6301) (6302) ... (16132) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52pm On Jun 23, 2019
forgiveness:

Fake!? Like I said, bury your head in the sand. grin

It's not fake. See the current UEFA ranking for 2019. Confirmed. grin

Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool have won the Champions league recently, that is the boost the English are getting. However you can be playing well, if you do not win or have good results, the Coefficient rates you poorly. With Marseille winning the Champions league in 1992 and England not winning, even as at 1996, French was rated higher despite being a Mickey mouse league to the EPL.

That is why it is fake. The revenue tells the story where the strength and competition was. It was in England and the French teams by 1996 could not keep their best players from going to England, Spain, Italy or Germany.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:56pm On Jun 23, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Sad the 4-3-3 was not looked into back then to a large extent. I remember calling for it or asking for Okocha to be moved to a more offensive role while Oruma creates. But tactical ideas for most national teams then was so limited, so we did not get to enjoy Oruma in the national colours enough.
Yep. From the few times I watched him - I felt he might have done a job as a CM. His workrate seemed decent enough and his passing was good.
Imagine if he was converted like Pirlo was...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:58pm On Jun 23, 2019
Danielnino00:

I'm not supporting thegoodjoe argument here o .. But how can u say the English league was inferior as at the time Babayaro was there? If it's because of the uefa coefficient ranking,then u just made a erroneous statement... The French league was ranked ahead at that time cus they had just recently produced the UCL winner in 1993(till date the only UCL trophy they have).. The English league already had 8 UCL title!! Some of the best players in the world were in the EPL as at that time...
Maybe Chelsea were an average team back then but certainly not the EPL...

That being said,u really need to relax on this uefa coefficient u bring up every time to support ur arguments... This ranking are continuous. they change overtime... U can't say Brazil national team is inferior to Belgium's just because Belgium is ranked higher...neither can U say Romania are a better footballing nation than Nigeria because they are ranked higher...

What do I need to back up my claims if not with verifiable facts?

UEFA ranking is the only acceptable standard when arguing or debating ranking of leagues. Personal opinions are inconsequential in this regard. Sorry.

Based on the 1996 UEFA ranking, EPL was an inferior league. EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 11:58pm On Jun 23, 2019
Where can I watch clips of already played games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:00am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

What do I need to back up my claims if not with verifiable facts?

UEFA ranking is the only acceptable standard when arguing or debating ranking of leagues. Personal opinions are inconsequential in this regard. Sorry.

Based on the 1996 UEFA ranking, EPL was an inferior league. EOD

But their revenue dwarfed the French league. Can you explain that magic?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:03am On Jun 24, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

But their revenue dwarfed the French league. Can you explain that magic?

Revenue is not the bone of contention, the league ranking is.

EPL was poor as at the time Celestine Babayaro joined. It was below the pecking order. 7th for that matter. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:07am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

EPL was poor as at the time Celestine Babayaro joined. It was below the pecking order. 7th for that matter. grin
What position was Ligue un when Taye Taiwo joined??

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 12:08am On Jun 24, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Straight to YouTube for clips. DSTV for repeat broadcasts
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:13am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

Revenue is the bomb and the discussion is you changing it. When Celestine was in Chelsea, it was a big club. Before Celestine's time does not count because he was not there. When he was there, it was a big club with top stars. When Taiwo was in the French league, it was a Mickey mouse league. His club and player quality can not in any way compare to the time Babayaro was there.

It is their time at the club that matters.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:16am On Jun 24, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool have won the Champions league recently, that is the boost the English are getting. However you can be playing well, if you do not win or have good results, the Coefficient rates you poorly. With Marseille winning the Champions league in 1992 and England not winning, even as at 1996, French was rated higher despite being a Mickey mouse league to the EPL.

That is why it is fake. The revenue tells the story where the strength and competition was. It was in England and the French teams by 1996 could not keep their best players from going to England, Spain, Italy or Germany.

UEFA ranking is not hundred meters dash race, it is the reflection of each leagues points accumulated over a period of 5 seasons.

As you can see, Ligue 1 didn't get the rating just because of just one season. Fact.

You are a nobody in football matters compared with UEFA that rated the French league higher hence bury your head in the sand. grin

Insisting it is fake doesn't change the facts on ground because the facts emanated from UEFA itself. You are the fake here. Sorry.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:18am On Jun 24, 2019
edi287:

What position was Ligue un when Taye Taiwo joined??

Top 5.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:26am On Jun 24, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Revenue is the bomb and the discussion is you changing it. When Celestine was in Chelsea, it was a big club. Before Celestine's time does not count because he was not there. When he was there, it was a big club with top stars. When Taiwo was in the French league, it was a Mickey mouse league. His club and player quality can not in any way compare to the time Babayaro was there.

It is their time at the club that matters.

Finito.

When did we discuss revenue? grin

As at the time he joined EPL, it was a Mickey mouse league. Finito

Taye Taiwo joined Marseille when they were about to play in UEFA cup finals that is highly rated than Cup winners cup. And he joined top 5 league in the world unlike Celestine Babayaro who joined top 10 league in the world. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:29am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

UEFA ranking is not hundred meters dash race, it is the reflection of each leagues points accumulated over a period of 5 seasons.

As you can see, Ligue 1 didn't get the rating just because of just one season. Fact.

You are a nobody in football matters compared with UEFA that rated the French league higher hence bury your head in the sand. grin

Insisting it is fake doesn't change the facts on ground because the facts emanated from UEFA itself. You are the fake here. Sorry.

UEFA Coefficient is babash. Do you know till now, Manchester United is ahead of Manchester City in the UEFA Coefficient even after winning the EPL 4 times and Manchester United have not won one. It is thrash.

By the way, look at the line up of a 1999 game between Chelsea and Arsenal. Look at the names of both sides and it will tell you the quality of the EPL then. Taiwo never operated in such league of players.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:31am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

Taye Taiwo joined Marseille when they were about to play in UEFA cup finals that is highly rated than Cup winners cup. And he joined top 5 league in the world unlike Celestine Babayaro who joined top 10 league in the world. grin

You can see the truth. If you choose to ignore it I can not force you. You can see the list and the gulf in class of big names Babayaro played with. He was a top player. Taiwo's name is in a hidden Marseille.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 12:33am On Jun 24, 2019
iSlayer:

Straight to YouTube for clips. DSTV for repeat broadcasts

DSTV in the states
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:37am On Jun 24, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

UEFA Coefficient is babash. Do you know till now, Manchester United is ahead of Manchester City in the UEFA Coefficient even after winning the EPL 4 times and Manchester United have not won one. It is thrash.

By the way, look at the line up of a 1999 game between Chelsea and Arsenal. Look at the names of both sides and it will tell you the quality of the EPL then. Taiwo never operated in such league of players.

That's why it's called UEFA ranking. It is were local champions challenge to become the UEFA champions.

Your performance in UEFA competition determines your ranking. Calling it babash is just being ignorant or mischievous.

Like I said UEFA doesn't care about names, UEFA focuses on clubs performance. EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:37am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

You are free to deceive yourself but you know that Coefficient list is babash but you choose to flag that tissue paper as a slam dunk evidence.

I have showed you the revenue and you can see throughout Babayaro's time and Taiwo's time the French league was a joke.

Babayaro was in a team that finished second in the Epl, won the Cup winners Cup, played the Super Cup and beat Real Madrid. Yet you are trying to lie to yourself it is an average team and the highest earning league in the World was not in top 5. Please feel free to keep tricking yourself if it makes you feel good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:38am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

That's why it's called UEFA ranking. It is were local champions challenge to become the UEFA champions.

Your performance in UEFA competition determines your ranking. Calling it babash is just being ignorant or mischievous.

Like I said UEFA doesn't care about names, UEFA focuses on clubs performance. EOD

It is a lie. Why is Manchester United still ahead of Manchester City in their Coefficient if it is about club performance? Explain.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:47am On Jun 24, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

You can see the truth. If you choose to ignore it I can not force you. You can see the list and the gulf in class of big names Babayaro played with. He was a top player. Taiwo's name is in a hidden Marseille.

Finito.

The truth remains that Celestine Babayaro joined a Mickey mouse league as at that time according to UEFA ranking. Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:53am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

The truth remains that Celestine Babayaro joined a Mickey mouse league as at that time according to UEFA ranking. Finito.

When Aguero and Silva joined Manchester City, we have not played in the Champions league or won a league title in over forty years. Does that count?

What counts is their achievements while in the club.

By the time Babayaro joined Chelsea, the EPL was a far bigger league than Ligue 1. You have seen the revenue gap. It is a clear indicator. I have asked you to call the names of the big players then. Call ten, let me call ten in the Epl and let us compare.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 12:59am On Jun 24, 2019
OMANBALA1:

DSTV in the states
Oh shït! *FacePalm*. Sorry about that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:27am On Jun 24, 2019
The day the goodjoe argues a point just twice, then I'll know Christmas came early. The guy no dey tire

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:39am On Jun 24, 2019
komekn:

Chieke Kouyate
Idrissa Gueye
Umar Niasse
Kalidou Koulibaly
Keita Baldé
Mbaye Diagne

I think you are exposing your complete lack of knowledge or rather blind patriotism for Nigeria.

The players above are average according to you.

I completely disagree with you.

sorry to say....
you're a serial hypocrite.
you call and recongnised this players simply because they're not Nigerians...

the only african players you recognized doing well outside England are the non nigerians...

mind you the guy who scored senegal's stunning second goal plays in Belgium I doubt if he is better than oshimen...

but you don't mind name that guy and downplay oshimen....all because of your hypocritic nature...

and here you're accusing some one I being over patriotic when you were never patriotic.

you should be avoided at all cost...and asked to go open your 3 lions thread....
I really think one of this days we should face this thing together...me and you.
and watch you misuse those your lopsided parameters and speak your English that hold no waters....
I see probably you've an inferiority complex..
I am very disappointed in you....by those words you spew up there

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:57am On Jun 24, 2019
grin

Lawd of Super Eagles...!!! This Thread though. Lol!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:48am On Jun 24, 2019
Who will be our next RB? AwAziem, Omeruo, Balogun or aina?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:57am On Jun 24, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

It is a lie. Why is Manchester United still ahead of Manchester City in their Coefficient if it is about club performance? Explain.

Manchester United is not ahead of Manchester City in UEFA ranking. Stop misinforming the public.

UEFA ranking is accurate, therefore, the 1996 UEFA ranking stands. grin

EPL was a Micky mouse league as at the time Celestine Babayaro joined. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:33am On Jun 24, 2019
Humility017:

sorry to say....
you're a serial hypocrite.
you call and recongnised this players simply because they're not Nigerians...

the only african players you recognized doing well outside England are the non nigerians...

mind you the guy who scored senegal's stunning second goal plays in Belgium I doubt if he is better than oshimen...

but you don't mind name that guy and downplay oshimen....all because of your hypocritic nature...

and here you're accusing some one I bring over patriotic when you were never patriotic.

you should be avoided at all cost...and asked to go open your 3 lions thread....
I really think one of this days we should face this thing together...me and you.
and watch you misuse those your lopsided parameters and speak your English that hold no waters....
I see probably you've an inferiority complex..
I am very disappointed in you....by those words you spew up there

So you want him to pick Omeruo ahead of Koulibaly? Abi Chukwueze ahead of Keita Balde? grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 7:36am On Jun 24, 2019
OMANBALA1:
Download Videoder app. Then search d games u want. U can get d full match or just highlights. You can watch online or download for keeps. Thank me later.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:43am On Jun 24, 2019
Can we drop the argument on players that haven't featured for Nigeria in at least 9 years and focus on those who are? The two parties involved can never reach an agreement, so, an impasse should suffice.

Shehu Abdullahi has been ruled out for the rest of the tournament, so, who replaces him as RB?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 7:58am On Jun 24, 2019
safarigirl:
Can we drop the argument on players that haven't festured for Nigeria in at least 9 years and focus on those who are? The teo parties involved can never reach am agreement, so, an impasse should suffice.

Shehu Abdullahi has been ruled out for the rest of the tournament, so, who replaces him as RB?
I think Aina will move to d right & Collins to d left.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 8:03am On Jun 24, 2019
forgiveness:

Top 5.

But permit me to add to this argument. This stat you gave was meant for country and not league ranking. The best valid point was to bring in Uefa league ranking. Knowing fully well that France won the world cup in 1998 they will be highly ranked.

Since the argument is about mickey mouse league and not country ranking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 8:05am On Jun 24, 2019
komekn:

Oruma's quality never truly appreciated in the SE, top player.

One of his best games for me was against Ghana in the AFCON he was outstanding.

The never ending rivalry on and off the pitch did not help his career in the SE, in my opinion.
Oruma was very good but the presence of Okocha renders him to the bench

(1) (2) (3) ... (6296) (6297) (6298) (6299) (6300) (6301) (6302) ... (16132) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: villagereporter(m), 123jamessmith, Meliforme, justvictor57(m), TheSuperNerd(m), Elnino9(m), Christology(m), Toylove, lbrichman2 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.