Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,781 members, 7,831,516 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6346) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11760554 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6343) (6344) (6345) (6346) (6347) (6348) (6349) ... (16185) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:56pm On Jun 27, 2019
Curtisaxel7:
Since nobody is talking about this, let me say it.

OUR CREATIVE MIDFIELD IS POO. Etebo's passes are average at best, same with Ndidi. Iwobi's inconsistency is of shocking proportions for a player of his level and exposure. One average pass succeeded by three hopeless passes and two awful dribble attempts. The only truly creative player worth his salt in the midfield, Mikel Obi is retiring after this AFCON, after that, what happens? Will we be stuck with this boring nonsense display that Gernot Rohr calls football?.

It is time to declear a state of emergency over our midfield. Intensive scouting AT ALL LEVELS must be embarked upon at this stage. If we can't find FB's to convince, i say let us comb every goddamn team in the NPFL and NNL for creative midfielders!. Someone is being paid huge amounts of taxpayer's money as "SE scout", and I am tempted to ask what the hell they actually do if at the end of the day we still can't look for talent beyond the and established professionals.

Rohr must do better biko.

The midfield genius (K. Nwakali) to take over Mikel has decided to shun football for Ukwu Nwayi's Owerri (Owerri girls bum bum). Who did this to us? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:02pm On Jun 27, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
We may yet land Eze Ebere. We haven't exactly lost that lad just yet.
But I hear and read about Joe Aribo too. Have watched only clips of him so can't say much in-depth about the lad for now. Onomah is another but.... **Shrugs**

And he doesn't need paper work. Joe Aribo? I have also seen clips but I no comment.

Why? Onomah is good. He has winning mentality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:02pm On Jun 27, 2019
Even in the Saudi League, Musa still bosses things on the left for us. I know a league's quality matters most of the times as we saw in Aina's massive improvement since he moved to Serie A but in Musa's case, I think it safe to say that Class is permanent and he is an exception. He may return to Europe but so far so good, Musa has only gotten better since his move to the land of Aladdin.

Icon79:
Good point on Musa. And like an old wine, he actually seems to be getting better in his old age. Musa used to be all speed and little brains but now his football IQ has definitely improved tremendously.

But what da heck is he doing in Saudi Arabia? I don't get it!

O pari

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:03pm On Jun 27, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
More Thoughts on Rohr at the AFCON

I feel the team ought to be braver under Rohr. To be honest, I didn't see the need having both Etebo and Ndidi on the field against Burundi.

I knew it was unbeaten Burundi but again we are classes upon classes above them. When Mikel was messing things up in the AM role, I would have suggested Rohr shifts him backwards to the Deep lying CM role, alongside DM Ndidi, to calm things, settle in and dictate the game's flow from there. Move Iwobi to the AM as he did anyway and bring in Musa. The culprit will now be Etebo to drop to the bench not because he was having a bad game but because Nigeria had to take offensive control and truly rip apart the opponents.

Rohr needs to be braver offensively and look at at the big picture of making us a consistently fluid passing side creating chances upon chances upon chances and upon chances.
That way I don't even care if Ighalo or anyone leading the line will miss one or two big chances because I know we will have and create more. That way we also boost our chances against the other top teams where chances don't easily come by unless you deliberately create them.
We did create chances against Guinea though but we can do much much better offensively. Imagine a Mikel-Iwobi Combo with NDIDI doing the dirty works helped by Mikel's deep positional discipline as DLP/Regista helping out in defence too.

We need to be more assertive on the scoreboard and not just in tackling and defensive stats which makes us settle for just 1-0 scorelines.

I have asked this question before. Can't Etebo play on the left midfield? Sometimes, you do not need to make personnel changes to make tactical switches. During the game, move Etebo to the left wing, move Mikel to a deep lying role and move Iwobi to 10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2019
I know Josh is good. I have watched him. He plays with heart and fearlessness. I just feel we can easily land Eze compared to Onomah. I really don't know where we are at with Onomah but with Eze, even Rohr knows about and have mentioned him.

forgiveness:

And he doesn't need paper work. Joe Aribo? I have also seen clips but I no comment.

Why? Onomah is good. He has winning mentality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:08pm On Jun 27, 2019
Rangers have won the race for Nigerian midfielder Joe Aribo, informs the Scottish Premiership giants on their official website.

The central midfielder was linked with possible moves to Arsenal, Manchester City, Celtic as well as teams in France, Germany and Portugal before he agreed terms with The Light Blues.

Aribo, who played for Charlton Athletic last season, has inked a four-year contract with Rangers and the deal is subject to the receipt of the International Transfer Certificate from the FA in England.

''He’s left footed, which is something we don’t have in our midfield at the moment so he’ll give us more balance ,'' Rangers coach Steven Gerrard said about his new signing.

''We have a good midfield but currently we don’t have a player with Joe’s characteristics.

''He is tall, athletic and quick. He’s a box-to-box player and is not afraid to open the door when he gets around the box and he can unlock defences.

''We’re confident we can turn Joe into an even better player and I’m really looking forward to working with him.''

Born in London, Aribo is close pals with Birmingham City's Viv Solomon-Otabor and has expressed his desire to represent Nigeria at international level.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 2:12pm On Jun 27, 2019
darkelf:

I agree with you don't his.

Truth is, this should have been done after the WC failure.

We qualified for AFCON because other teams were quite bad to be honest. To face up to bigger boys, we qoujld need to sort our MF and GK position
you don t have shame at all. U are fond of watering down our team effort and achievement. So other teams were bad that was why we qualified?...na wah. Nobody should take u serious.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:16pm On Jun 27, 2019
onomah seem off the radar of the english fa because he was dropped for the euro u21 competition, same goes to lookman and ejaria. i am very sure eze will turn out for us but don't know when
TheSuperNerd:
I know Josh is good. I have watched him. He plays with heart and fearlessness. I just feel we can easily land Eze compared to Onomah. I really don't know where we are at with Onomah but with Eze, even Rohr knows about and have mentioned him.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:17pm On Jun 27, 2019
I no see improvement. Commot sentiments that we have been winning.

Earthquake3:

When have we not struggled with our passes

We are actually better under Rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 2:18pm On Jun 27, 2019
It’s been long I read well detailed Epistle on this thread here ... aside the marathon argument going on .Thank God our victory of yesterday overshadow the saga .Forgiveness and his cohorts . .una weldone .

Welcome back Supernerd . Try and stay this time our Afcon Victory is around the corner .���

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:20pm On Jun 27, 2019
Gent signs more Nigerians than Genk
Earthquake3:

This Genk too like Nigerian players

Isn't it the one Awoniyi left?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:23pm On Jun 27, 2019
i think i agree. although i suspect rohr feels mikel does not have the legs to screen the defence at his best john was never the fastest. maybe was also scared of the jorginho scenario when EPL teams figured him out that to nullify his influence simply put a man on him.

i was reading solace chukwu's take on the game one of the points he raised was that he felt iwobi's inability to click fully yesterday was because of the role he was given to stop diawara the guineans creative outlet. most probably a tactical instruction from rohr which as a result nullified alex's more attacking instincts although to be fair he improved in the 2nd half we could see the midfield experienced a mini collapse when iwobi was substituted for chukwueze which indicates to me that alex was keeping them honest.

against madagascar rohr should know that their are no excuses not to be braver.

TheSuperNerd:

I feel the team ought to be braver under Rohr. To be honest, I didn't see the need having both Etebo and Ndidi on the field against Burundi.

I knew it was unbeaten Burundi but again we are classes upon classes above them. When Mikel was messing things up in the AM role, I would have suggested Rohr shifts him backwards to the Deep lying CM role, alongside DM Ndidi, to calm things, settle in and dictate the game's flow from there. Move Iwobi to the AM as he did anyway and bring in Musa. The culprit will now be Etebo to drop to the bench not because he was having a bad game but because Nigeria had to take offensive control and truly rip apart the opponents.

Rohr needs to be braver offensively and look at at the big picture of making us a consistently fluid passing side creating chances upon chances upon chances and upon chances.
That way I don't even care if Ighalo or anyone leading the line will miss one or two big chances because I know we will have and create more. That way we also boost our chances against the other top teams where chances don't easily come by unless you deliberately create them.
We did create chances against Guinea though but we can do much much better offensively. Imagine a Mikel-Iwobi Combo with NDIDI doing the dirty works helped by Mikel's deep positional discipline as DLP/Regista helping out in defence too.

We need to be more assertive on the scoreboard and not just in tackling and defensive stats which makes us settle for just 1-0 scorelines.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 2:29pm On Jun 27, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Mikron my man... Good to see you again bro. wink

me to @ thesupernerd, been a while. How have u been bro?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:31pm On Jun 27, 2019
Bros Musa is just 26 and him going to Saudi Arabia wasn't because he lacked offers from top leagues in Europe but the Saudi offer was too good to turn down. Football na business!
Icon79:
Hmm. Isn't he already semi retired in Saudi Arabia?

TBH, I am not counting on either one of Mikel, Musa, and Ighalo to be around for 2022, but I would like for them to prove me wrong sha.

O pari

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:32pm On Jun 27, 2019
but how effective is etebo on the left? the few times i've seen him play well in the GWG whether super eagles or olympics team he tends to excel in the box 2 box midfielder role. some how rohr is missing a trick on how to utilise etebo and iwobi once he can figure it out our attacking play would be scary to face

TheGoodJoe:

I have asked this question before. Can't Etebo play on the left midfield? Sometimes, you do not need to make personnel changes to make tactical switches. During the game, move Etebo to the left wing, move Mikel to a deep lying role and move Iwobi to 10.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 2:38pm On Jun 27, 2019
Joebie:
I no see improvement. Commot sentiments that we have been winning.

We passed well against Burundi didn't you see that?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 2:40pm On Jun 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

The midfield genius (K. Nwakali) to take over Mikel has decided to shun football for Ukwu Nwayi's Owerri (Owerri girls bum bum). Who did this to us? grin

Bashiru and Kingsley Michael will take over from him

Ofoborh will take over from/displace Etebo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:48pm On Jun 27, 2019
Siasia remains the only coach in any of our national teams who utilized Etebo's energy mixed with his good ball skills and goal instinct. At Rio 2016, Etebo on the left was quite beastly and even scored four in a game. But again shaa, Rohr no go try am. Lol...

Under Rohr, Etebo has been good in a double pivot especially with Ndidi. He started off with Onazi but now he does it with Ndidi but as a Workaholic, Battling CM spraying short passes when he has to distributes instead of as a positionally disciplined Dictator CM (a pirlo) which Mikel is more likely to bring to that role at the AFCON if played there.

Etebo could yet stun our opponents from the left but would you have an Etebo on the left or an Ahmed Musa on the left? This is why Rohr will not dare move Etebo there except maybe in a late game situation with Musa not on field. But it's gonna be rare. Rohr only did it against DRC before the WC.

TheGoodJoe:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 2:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
Icon79:
LOL. Mikel is not a leader either. He may be the captain but I am yet to see true leadership qualities in him.

O pari

Mikel is a leader, do you think it's by shouting?

He only played 3 games before he was given captain's armband in Middlesborough

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:50pm On Jun 27, 2019
offorborh is not a box to box midfielder because of his lack of pace. he is better suited in a deeper in the midfield
Earthquake3:

Bashiru and Kingsley Michael will take over from him

Ofoborh will take over from/displace Etebo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by godspeed: 2:50pm On Jun 27, 2019
Quiz time, just to spice things up

-Name Nigerian players to have ever been sent off in the history of the afcon and in which match and edition?

- Who was the last Nigerian player to be sent off at the afcon and in which match?

Winner wins an airtime.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:51pm On Jun 27, 2019
I dey my good man. Trust you have been good too. Biko dey show face once in a good while okay and take great care. Really nice to hear from you again.
Hope the AFCON have been quite a treat for you.

mikron:
me to @ thesupernerd, been a while. How have u been bro?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 2:53pm On Jun 27, 2019
charlesemeka85:
offorborh is not a box to box midfielder because of his lack of pace. he is better suited in a deeper in the midfield

Ya but he's creative and plays CM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Siasia remains the only coach in any of our national teams who utilized Etebo's energy mixed with his good ball skills and goal instinct. At Rio 2016, Etebo on the left was quite beastly and even scored four in a game. But again shaa, Rohr no go try am. Lol...

Under Rohr, Etebo has been good in a double pivot especially with Ndidi. He started off with Onazi but now he does it with Ndidi but as a Workaholic, Battling CM spraying short passes when he has to distributes instead of as a positionally disciplined Dictator CM (a pirlo) which Mikel is more likely to bring to that role at the AFCON if played there.

Etebo could yet stun our opponents from the left but would you have an Etebo on the left or an Ahmed Musa on the left? This is why Rohr will not dare move Etebo there except maybe in a late game situation with Musa not on field. But it's gonna be rare. Rohr only did it against DRC before the WC.

I am talking of the Burundi game where Rohr did not start Musa. We had the same issue in the game we lost to South Africa. Just a switch of Etebo and Iwobi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eseose9(f): 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2019
kellycute:
you don t have shame at all. U are fond of watering down our team effort and achievement. So other teams were bad that was why we qualified?...na wah. Nobody should take u serious.

fear these set of people
even if we beat Egypt and Senegal tommorw or win the Afcon eventually,they will still come up with stupid excuses.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 2:58pm On Jun 27, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

well said...I will really love to see a midfield combo of ndidi, mikel and iwobi...really wanna watch how creative that would be....

I believe with such combo our wingers and striker will get more killer passes and we'll sprint balls.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 2:59pm On Jun 27, 2019
Eseose9:

fear these set of people
even if we beat Egypt and Senegal tommorw or win the Afcon eventually,they will still come up with stupid excuses.

he is one of a kind.
he never disappoints with his comment.
I don't know if he does it on purpose or that's just who he is
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 3:04pm On Jun 27, 2019
Humility017:

he is one of a kind.
he never disappoints with his comment.
I don't know if he does it on purpose or that's just who he is

The guy is saving himself from future disappointment

Please understand him smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 3:06pm On Jun 27, 2019
Ndidi is a monster of player.
The best DM in the world right now for me!
Rohr should allow this guy free rain in the midfield with Mikel and Iwobi in the midfield triangle.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 3:08pm On Jun 27, 2019
I will make bold and say we will not win against Madagascar

0-0 my predictions

Many changes to the lineup, less desire to win coupled with the Madagascan resolute defence will make for a barren draw

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2019
Before you argue with me take a look at this

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 27, 2019
grin grin
People dey oooo grin grin

Different kinds of people cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (6343) (6344) (6345) (6346) (6347) (6348) (6349) ... (16185) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: etebefia, villagereporter(m), Truidstarr, semid4lyfe(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.