Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6396) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11632803 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6393) (6394) (6395) (6396) (6397) (6398) (6399) ... (16138) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2019
No matter what happens at the knockout stages, I want Gernot Rohr to be served his sack letter the moment he alights from the plane bringing him to Nigeria.

Football should be enjoyed, not endured.

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 8:25pm On Jun 30, 2019
Uganda giving Egypt a run for their money
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chucs: 8:25pm On Jun 30, 2019
I said something about how Rohr has been a technically inept coach after our last match and one stupi.d fella wanted to use his ancestors to shine not me. Have never liked Rohr as a coach and will never have faith in his coaching abilities cuz over time,he has been bang below average to say the least. We are never moving forward with him.

Look at our style of play and compare it with how modern football is played and u will have a self conviction that we are steps backwards. This is a kind of match that requires mobile players and not aged woods that he paraded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ThanosKilla(m): 8:25pm On Jun 30, 2019
Hello people, this is my first post but I've been following this thread incognito since 2016, and I've enjoyed the informative analyses from you guys even though I've been taken aback by the name calling, shading and abuses that sometimes surface in this thread. Unfortunately, this is a day I'll tag Black Sunday for SE of 9ja.
Well, as someone had already said, you can't give what you don't have. Rhor doesn't just have what it takes tactically to take SE to the next level. Come on, we've got some good attacking players that 90% of African countries would give an arm for and here we are after 90 minutes of an afcon game against Madagascar...I mean MADAGASCAR... and we could only create one decent chance.
I think it's time we sidon look and hope Rhors' contract expires quickly.
Seriously, in the three matches we've played so far in this afcon our attacking play most times has been drab, laid back with no real intent. If you asked me I'd say I don't think anything will change when we play in the round of 16. I just hope I'm wrong.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:26pm On Jun 30, 2019
In other news

https://www.nairaland.com/5274135/one-chance-pickpockets-caught-abuja

At least if we cannot derive joy from super chickens, let us be happy that some more criminal elements were removed from the streets

grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:27pm On Jun 30, 2019
darkelf:

I had to look twice at what he typed to be sure it was Croatia. I thought he typed cross river

Wetin we no go see for this thread
you mean Croatia didn't have any average players at the WC? make u stop doing as if you know it all abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:28pm On Jun 30, 2019
ThanosKilla:
Hello people, this is my first post but I've been following this thread incognito since 2016, and I've enjoyed the informative analyses from you guys even though I've been taken aback by the name calling, shading and abuses that sometimes surface in this thread. Unfortunately, this is a day I'll tag Black Sunday for SE of 9ja.
Well, as someone had already said, you can't give what you don't have. Rhor doesn't just have what it takes tactically to take SE to the next level. Come on, we've got some good attacking players that 90% of African countries would give an arm for and here we are after 90 minutes of an afcon game against Madagascar...I mean MADAGASCAR... and we could only create one decent chance.
I think it's time we sidon look and hope Rhors' contract expires quickly.
Seriously, in the three matches we've played so far in this afcon our attacking play most times has been drab, laid back with no real intent. If you asked me I'd say I don't think anything will change when we play in the round of 16. I just hope I'm wrong.

You're not wrong bro

Nothing would change. He's had three chances. He isn't going to magically turn things around.

Rohr is unchanging
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:28pm On Jun 30, 2019
ChrisKels:

I saw the post, I just jump am pass grin
better... make u dey jump pass ni o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:30pm On Jun 30, 2019
Problemkid1:
Some Nigerians with there dull thinking ehn grin grin
at least it takes a Dullard to recognise a dull thought.... lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 8:31pm On Jun 30, 2019
For a whiteman, Rohr is surprisingly stupid.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:37pm On Jun 30, 2019
darkelf:

I had to look twice at what he typed to be sure it was Croatia. I thought he typed cross river

Wetin we no go see for this thread

Cross river. Lol grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 8:39pm On Jun 30, 2019
Madagascar will now play DRC instead.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:39pm On Jun 30, 2019
You people want Rohr to get sacked. Now the question is Who will replace him? Don't even mention siasia ... that one get ego pass Trump .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
Rohr is just too arrogant, I have the feeling the man doesn't respect us.
The baba just said there's no " shame loosing to Madagascar " really?
undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
Thank God that this rude shock is not at the knock out stage..

My expectation from the team is low though..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
mostob:
yes..
.Croatia has average players....the only World class among them ain't much . Based on squad strength,they should be lucky to reach SF but they defied all odds to reach the final. BTW... where did you see me compare them with our own players ? make you shine your eyes and comprehend my post wella pls

The only World class players among them is Modric and Rakitic, and may be Mandzukic. The rest are average at best.

In paper , they are not supposed to to be in the SF sef

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:45pm On Jun 30, 2019
Ighalo is the worse excuse for a striker. He just wants to be fed, he just wants to be the one that scores the goal, when your team is under pressure, bro, drop in to add an extra body for a pass in other to provide outlet for your team. OK, u no wan drop deep, oya position well for a pass nah, NO. USELESS player

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:47pm On Jun 30, 2019
timay:

The only World class players among them is Modric and Rakitic, and may be Mandzukic. The rest are average at best.

In paper , they are not supposed to to be in the SF sef
God bless you bro ...that is exactly my point but dem no gree
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:48pm On Jun 30, 2019
Egypt showing what it means to be a big team. Naija fans in here go say Nigeria na the best so far, that Egypt is up against a weak Ugandan side grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BlackManta(m): 8:48pm On Jun 30, 2019
Earthquake3:
Uganda giving Egypt a run for their money

It's 2-0 .

Egypt are favourites to win this tournament.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2019
ChrisKels:
Ighalo is the worse excuse for a striker. He just wants to be fed, he just wants to be the one that scores the goal, when your team is under pressure, bro, drop in to add an extra body for a pass in other to provide outlet for your team. OK, u no wan drop deep, oya position well for a pass nah, NO. USELESS player
you are right, ..I just dey vex throughout the match ....he can't press, he can't outmuscle, he can't dribble, ..na to dey fall him sabi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by naturecures: 8:50pm On Jun 30, 2019
super eagles were simply lucky to have defeated Guinea. Guinea 1 -Burundi 0
we would have carried calculators tonight. shioor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2019
In as much as we blame the coach let's also blame the players, it's high time they make up their minds if they want to continue to play for the SE especially these foreign based players playing in obscure leagues. All this fight for bonuses and still yet after being paid come to the pitch to play nonsense must stop.

Something tells me the players themselves are not always confident of winning so to play safe they always want their money. That mentality will never make them a champion winning team. It breeds mediocrity and that's what we are seeing

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:53pm On Jun 30, 2019
Hanibal:
Rohr is just too arrogant, I have the feeling the man doesn't respect us.
The baba just said there's no " shame loosing to Madagascar " really?
undecided

His wife is from Madagascar, rohr should be probed grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 30, 2019
personally I don't want rohr to be sacked cause of his topnotch player management and players scouting technically we lost ..... this match is an eyesore .... I think rohr should stop depending on ighalo for goals we should rely on our winger for goal and kanu is not really good at scoring but good at creating chances we have scoring wingers like Musa and onyekuru .... both should start in our next match with osihmen as a top 9 then Iwobi should carry the midfield seriously with etebo and ndidi complementing him then the grass is green this match is gone let focus on our next match.. maybe this loss will bring back sense to our players I'm still hopeful we'll win this tournament by God's grace
#soareagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:56pm On Jun 30, 2019
At Bolded.... Dad, Yes, you make a good point here. We had already qualified.

I recall at Chile 2015 U-17 WC, our Nwakali-led team lost to Croatia in the last group game but we went all the way to the title. We had already qualified and losing that game didn't mean we are suddenly poor.

Now, Boss Joseph1013 asked someone here a very good and Valid question.

"If this Madagascar game was a must-win game, do you think Rohr would have gone for this starting lineup?"

The answer to this question is obviously No. And that question shows a brilliant angle at looking at this loss. A loss coming in a dead rubber game. We were only playing to finish first. We rested our key players and made more changes to the lineup. Very valid points.

Now, I have no doubt we would emerge a different force in the round of 16 because Iwobi, Ndidi and Omeruo will return to the starting lineup. Chukwueze will hopefully get to be involved either from the start or from the bench (in case Simon or a fitter Kalu start).

The team lineup that beat Guinea will not lose to Madagascar. I know this much. But even at that, this team should have been better than this today and even won this game if Rohr had put the players he picked in their rightful and most effective roles. Why toy with Mikel as an AM again against this die-hard Madagascar team looking to knock off a giant's head like David did? Why play Ogu as box-to-box? That's Etebo's world. Why play Etebo as DM? Ogu was more suited for that to deep-play alongside Mikel.
Why start an unfit Kalu?

And to the players... Why Balogun, oh why wait for the ball to come to you?? Thus allowing a player that was behind you now get ahead of you, win the ball and score (not without disgracing Ezenwa).

See ehn Dad..... I know we were complacent defensively but Rohr's tactical set-up was the real miry clay today. The players he started today should be getting a win over Madagascar 5 out of 5 times if only they were deployed in the right roles.

But in all.... Let us see if this is the Chile 2015 Golden Eaglets scenario all over again. But I am now beyond convinced that Rohr is not the man to take our new heavy potentially golden generation to the land of "milk and honey"(translate that as Titles and Glories).

Even France with Didier Deschamps is crap and not living up to her true potentials. He may have won the World cup but it was not down to his tactical acumen. It was rather down to his squad's pool of unreal talents, hungry for Glory. Now, he is being exposed for his tactical limitations and monotonous utility of France's deep pool of high bad ass quality talents.
He is not the man to make France's WC triumph (which came on the back of the big teams faltering) usher in a golden era of French domination. He lacks that bravery too but is tactically better than Rohr at least.

Nigeria's current rise of beastly talents deserve much better. I am focused on the long term and not jut short term glories. Our trophies cannot be easy qualifications for majors. And winning this Afcon will only cover the cracks that reads... "Rohr is not our Joshua. He is only a Moses."

Icon4s:

I am not writing the team off yet.

Complaincancy affected the entire team. The number of changes were too many.

The team was overly complaisant. We are better than this.

We don't have credible midfield options. Time for Ogu and Mikel to take a bow. We need fresh Supply of young midfielders.

Ogu and Balogun were responsible for that defensive error. Nightmarish first half for Balogun.

Again, Rohr went to Egypt with surplus in natural wingers. That team doesn't have a natural supporting striker. And so we are condemned to lone striker setup all tournament.

I always try not to judge a team with it's performance in its last group game if they had qualified before that game.

Onwards, we take the matches as they come.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:57pm On Jun 30, 2019
ChrisKels:
Has anyone seen my good friend, icon4s today? Seems he's gone MIA

You are looking for Icon4s to blame again. Bros, your team lost. Deal with it and leave Icon4s alone. Or are you no longer a Nigerian?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:59pm On Jun 30, 2019
Sportilitica:
We actually have an average team so I am not expecting much. We like hyping our players more than what they are. These eagles are not super. I am not worried that we lost to be honest but for the fact that we can not create basic chances I have seen other teams do. This is a really big problem that will not go away soon. Sad to admit it but darkelf did warn us about Mikel and it showed today. The blame goes to the Coach who benched attacking talents to field players who are rusty. We need goals and we need them coming in quick otherwise we will be disgraced in the next match. Keshi did better with a worse team and still won the cup.

Bro forget that thing..we have good players!!
A 20 goal striker in Belgium... a 16 goal winger in Turkey.. the best tackling DM in England (and possibly the whole of Europe) ..one of the hottest left footed winger in laliga last season... We have good players abeg..
Rohr is a tactically clueless manager that's dragging this team backward.... He might have done well to assemble them together and bring some unity to camp but e lacks ideas that would bring out the best in the team...

Give a good manager a crappy team and he will perform well (think Raniera at Leicester and Pochettino at Southampton) But when u hand a good squad to a clueless manager,the team can't do sh*t (think David Moyes at manure )
If Rohr can't win us the AFCON or get to the final he should be sacked!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 8:59pm On Jun 30, 2019
ChrisKels:
No lie detected, dude made that Ikorodu boy Razak to be feeling like Virgil

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:03pm On Jun 30, 2019
Goke7:

His wife is from Madagascar, rohr should be probed grin

Just like the philistines got to Samson through Delilah, the Madagasis got to Rohr through his madam. No other explanation for that selection_________________
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:05pm On Jun 30, 2019
Icon4s:

You are looking for Icon4s to blame again. Bros, your team lost. Deal with it and leave Icon4s alone. Or are you no longer a Nigerian?

Sorry bro, na just say I dey miss ur presence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:05pm On Jun 30, 2019
I've just seen someone on Cybereagles say the reason why we lost is because the players weren't paid yet.
Some Nigerians no get shame sha...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6393) (6394) (6395) (6396) (6397) (6398) (6399) ... (16138) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone, charlesemeka85(m), shawwal1(m), morhsuud22(m), Joezinho, Odunayaw(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.