Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,260 members, 7,836,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6399) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11784669 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6396) (6397) (6398) (6399) (6400) (6401) (6402) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:23pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mickael2:

I think Paul Aigbogun should be appointed

Isi gini? Aigbo.... what? Bia Nwokem... Oya back to your room

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Problemkid1: 10:23pm On Jun 30, 2019
pelezico:

Well hes not stupid - we Nigerians are stupid because we keep thinking that whitey will do his majik and poof - we win the AFCON or WC. Na mate hes smart cause hes on vocation in Nigeria and retired but milking the NFF for his pension
You're right. But all I'm saying is that, if Rohr can't win us the afcon or get to the final, he should be sacked!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:24pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mickael2:

I think Paul Aigbogun should be appointed

undecided undecided undecided undecided,I would prefer siasia...dts if any local coach is considered ,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:24pm On Jun 30, 2019
AIG07:
Nigeria
CIV
Madagascar(Ahmad's factor)
Tazania(Amuneke's factor)

I see the above to be the trickest possible group Nigeria can find itself.
prior to the draws, when I said Madagascar will be one of the trickest team to face, I was run down by some folks who think football is played on paper.

I hope you can see for yourself...

Most guys here are too emotional to analyze the game without been sentimental.

Small thing, they say you are pessimist, unpatriotic, I appreciative etc.

I still repeat if Rohr ends up winning this competition, he should either step down as the coach or he remains while we get a better technical advisor. With him, we will not see the best eagle play.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:25pm On Jun 30, 2019
forgiveness:

How?

OK first of all I don't think Chukwueze would have been a good fit for this game no.

I think Musa and Kalu were okay, the problem was with the tactics, Musa kept on running inside and Kalu too. Now imagine if Musa and Kalu both stay wide, as in very wide that means they will keep the two fullbacks very honest and they too will shift wide, then add the fact that Aina and Awaziem will be doubling up on the flanks then the Madagascans will have no choice but to push two extra players to the wings, so that means we have effectively pushed out four Madagascans from the middle, with Ndidi and Iwobi pushing forward to support Ighalo that means we will have three of our players against their six players, and if Etebo pushes high up the field too they will have to commit one player to him and that reduces it to 3 against 5 in their box, the bus effectively no longer exists. This is exactly what Manchester City does every single day, it is amazing that a top coach like Rohr does not know this basic bus breaking technique.

But the main problem is that the Madagascans did not exactly park the bus, they played counterattacking football, their striker was always in our half waiting for the ball and they had two players close to him all the time, so they effectively parked the bus with 7 players, for goodness sake Madagascar managed to shut out Nigeria for 90minutes with only 7 players. I think the commentator at some point said they will tire, but what they did was effective, since Nigeria only had one wide player on each flank, they kept on changing their own players that were marking them and their own players had enough time to recuperate, we did not make them suffer for this win, it was a comfortable win. But for Ezenwa's save and anticipation it could have been 4-1 and nobody would have said they didn't deserve it, because the only chance we got was a defensive error from them as well.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:25pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

grin grin grin grin grin. Na so you hate the guy reach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:30pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mickael2:

grin grin grin grin grin. Na so you hate the guy reach?

Just call that name one more time....

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 30, 2019
ChrisKels:
Ighalo is the worse excuse for a striker. He just wants to be fed, he just wants to be the one that scores the goal, when your team is under pressure, bro, drop in to add an extra body for a pass in other to provide outlet for your team. OK, u no wan drop deep, oya position well for a pass nah, NO. USELESS player

Stop this plagiarism. grin grin

#If you know you know grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:34pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
It may seem unpopular Dad... But dropping Iheanacho, even though deserved, was possibly one of the mistakes Rohr made. He is the only natural SS we have and is our best setpiece taker. I have said it long before now... Nacho is key to this new golden generation and will be back to continue his contributions. This is just his nadir point and he must rise to be counted worthy again.

All the same... We await whoever we are bound to take on now.

Solace earlier today did a pathway check to the final had Nigeria finished first. He said a potential quarter final meeting with Cameroun awaits and if we survive that, then a potential Semi final game vs Egypt awaits. Could we have dodged a bullet with this loss? Loolll... Time will tell

Yes Iheanacho deservedly dropped, but he would have provided more attacking option as an SS, if not for his deep in form.

From that group F, people are already suggesting we are playing Ghana in the 2nd round but I believe that group is still very open. Ghana can finish first and Cameroon second in the group. Benin can also finish first, Cameroon second and Ghana 3rd. Even Guinea-Bissau can finish second. It is still very open.

On our attacking setup. I don't like this Rohr's monotonous lone striker approach. Once the lone striker is crowded out that's all. I think Rohr should experiment one of Onyekuru or Chukwueze as an SS. A 4-4-2 can easily switch to 4-2-4 when on the offensive and that means more firing power and more scoring Opportunities.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:40pm On Jun 30, 2019
breezy147:

Stop this plagiarism. grin grin
#If you know you know grin
Do you know Who's moniker it was on the nest?
By the way, I like the numbers on ur moniker, if u know, u know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:40pm On Jun 30, 2019
darkelf:

Ohhhhh. I see....some diehard fans haven't learnt still.

Keep making excuse for mediocre player. Kwatinue

grin cheesy

Did you just say that Mikel has always been above average at best? Dude, how many bottles did you take at the bar today? When you get sober, get you a good tape of our Afcon 2013 campaign and after watching the games there, come back and say that again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Problemkid1: 10:42pm On Jun 30, 2019
Danielnino00:
Contrary to what some folks here are saying, we won't be facing Egypt in the round of 16 .. Its the runner up in group F we will face... any of the 4 teams in that group can still finish 2nd ..
Dano Dano grin but I guess we're facing Ghana grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:15pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mickael2:

Did you just say that Mikel has always been above average at best? Dude, how many bottles did you take at the bar today? When you get sober, get you a good tape of our Afcon 2013 campaign and after watching the games there, come back and say that again.

No wahala

We are all here..abi?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
elyte89:

undecided undecided undecided undecided,I would prefer siasia...dts if any local coach is considered ,

Seconded

Bar the qualification misadventure, the U-20 and U-23 teams he coached played really good football and didn't have problems scoring goals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

I think he was just trolling
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:20pm On Jun 30, 2019
Danielnino00:

U guys have been using this excuse of having a better league in Africa to defend your player's inability to secure move to decent clubs in Europe! .. The best leagues are in Europe! The Belgian league is among the top 10 in Europe,and yet their national team is filled with foreign based players. Its not like Belgium can't find better players in their league,the best of their players are playing in better leagues. simple!

Benni McCarthy is the greatest south African player ever. didn't he play in Europe!?

South African players aren't talented enough that's why they don't get signed by European teams... Simple!!
lol, relax. Who ever disputed that the best players are in Europe? I'm saying it doesn' tmatter where you play, if you good you good. Egypt won the Afcon 3 consecutive times with players from their domestic league. Where was Nigeria with all their European " superstars" ? We do have players in Europe, many not even selected for this tournament, unlike you we don't simply call a play because he plays in Estonia, lol. The economy of the stomach doesn't apply with , Egyptian, South African players unlike your players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:22pm On Jun 30, 2019
forgiveness:

Which league? grin
The ritual killings league...and we all know where that is cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:27pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mickael2:

Bros, when was the last time Iheanacho actually hit the target with a shot?? grin cheesy grin

Name a better kicker of the football on the SE? He could literally sit on the ground and kick a better shot than any other player we have and even if he doesn't score there will be a rebound like the one Etebo scored from against Egypt or the one Awaziem profited from against Seychelles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 11:32pm On Jun 30, 2019
I didn't watch this game. But I will say this because it is what I believe;
a) as embarrassing as it is, and I truly feel as embarrased as I have ever felt for naija, if we needed to win this game we would have done just that.

b) when super eagles mean to fvck up, they don't do half measures. They do it in grand style.

c) I have supported Rohr so far in the interest of continuity and his exceptional man management skill has ensured we don't implode. The depth of his football acumen though is increasingly questionable.

d) the defeat whilst not leaving a lasting damage in itself has made Rohr's target (I believe it was getting to the semis?) A LOT more difficult. I believe all managers must get 2 tournaments to be judged fairly. This was the tournament where he was to be finally judged and he's just created a rod for his own back. Whether he survives? I'll go with Even money.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:34pm On Jun 30, 2019
Icon4s:

I am not writing the team off yet.

Complaincancy affected the entire team. The number of changes were too many.

The team was overly complaisant. We are better than this.

We don't have credible midfield options. Time for Ogu and Mikel to take a bow. We need fresh Supply of young midfielders.

Ogu and Balogun were responsible for that defensive error. Nightmarish first half for Balogun.

Again, Rohr went to Egypt with surplus in natural wingers. That team doesn't have a natural supporting striker. And so we are condemned to lone striker setup all tournament.

I always try not to judge a team with it's performance in its last group game if they had qualified before that game.

Onwards, we take the matches as they come.

when you see people that can analyze football you'll know, not people who watch with emotions. you've spoken well boss
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:39pm On Jun 30, 2019
The last time we lost 2-0 we ended up qualifying for both the World cup and AFCON in style. Don't get me wrong I am bloody pissed but I can take solace in the fact that this team is capable of bouncing back under Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 11:39pm On Jun 30, 2019
Mikel Obi joins Trazonspor

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:40pm On Jun 30, 2019
andrew444:

Seems Zambia won the afcon with players based from South African league what are you guys waiting for ? Zambia players are good that's why and you guys are crap ,lol ,when it's footballing matter you really need to keep your mouth shut

Iwobi is a bit part player ? Lol ,a bit part player can't play 34 Epl games in a season out of 38

Nigeria players are not playing in Real Madrid but please which African players are playing in Real Madrid Barcelona ? Lol ,you can't hide the fact that you are dumb ,if it's xenophobic attack now you will be brave enough

Egypt still have about 8 players in Europe in their afcon squad

Epl clubs have bought players directly from academy's in Nigeria so Kano pillars can't be an issue

You can't compare Nigeria players to South African players ,the last time you have players to be proud of are Aaron mokoena,benny McCarthy,pienaar ,one of your best players tshabalala had to move to turkey league at the age of 34 ,lol

South Africa football is crap ,you hosted the World Cup and you could not even get past the group stage ,lol

Odemwingie was playing at rotherdam at the end of his career age 35 ,odemwingie did well in the Epl with west brom and was popular ,he played for 3 Epl clubs ,it will be a pleasure for a South African player to play in the championship at a young age

Seems our players can be found in Cambodia and co then please tell me when we took a player to any tournament from such place ?

You think this is about country issue where you and others jobless South African can sleep in nairaland arguing with Nigerians ?

This is footballing issue and you have no say okay ,lol

Dumb idiot
lol, so obvious. Nail a Nigerian in a discussion and he'll bring Xenophobia in the mix. What's next? Your beloved "HIV"? Dude I used Barcelona, Madrid etc as an example, to mean a calibre of teams idiot. All of a sudden " Zambian" players are good.l, where do they play? I thought our league has crappy players? How come is Zambia out and we'll re in? How come we qualified for Afcon without being defeated in a group with includes your overrated team?

Egypt has 8 players in their afcon squad because they chose to select those players duh!!? You honestly think we didnt leave out European players as well? We don't worship Europe or oyinbo in South Africa, we don't call up a player because simply because he plays in some European backwater . Still Egypt and South Africa has most players playing in their respective domestic leagues

Which player did the EPL buy directly from your league?

Yes, Tshabalala moved to Europe at 34 so what? You said he was our " best" player didn't you? Which means he did the business whenever he was called up. You have players playing in Europe but rarely doing the job for the national team so playing in Europe alone is pointless.

As much as you can point out the likes of Aaron Mokoena, McCarthy, Radebe etc I can also point out that you had better players ions ago, the likes of Kanu etc al. Your current team is average.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:41pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Sorry that you don't know the difference between truth and wishes.... Hahahahahahaha
ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:42pm On Jun 30, 2019
Icon4s:

Oya name the Arsenal regulars.

I dey wait.
you guys get glued to the EPL more than your own league I think you know the answer to your question.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 11:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
So no Norwich or Sheffied United for Mikel?

Disappointment upon disappointment

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
jihday:
@ players playing in Cambodia Thailand etc, that's true they are Nigerian but they are not super eagles players. Osaze @ Rotherham don't know if he ever played there but if he did it was after retirement from national team duties
and the point is?...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:44pm On Jun 30, 2019
theblackjack76:
According to your logic, Mikel "happened to play in a good Chelsea team to be honest". So what does that make Mikel? Would a good Chelsea team sign him up and use him regularly if he is "nowhere as good as we make him out to be"? Bro, Tau is not a bad player. But for now, he should be excited to take selfies with Mikel and hang them on his wall. cheesy

Ah, classic empty chest beating in true Nigerian style. No wonder you aren't liked anywhere. Delusions of grandeur.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:45pm On Jun 30, 2019
godspeed:

Kelechi iheanacho moved straight from an academy in Nigeria to Man city
and we can all see the disaster he turned out to be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IronGalaxy: 11:47pm On Jun 30, 2019
edi287:

You don't watch Arsenal so I don't expect you to know.
I forgot, you pay my DStv subscription on my behalf.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 11:52pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Nerdiest!! You sha wicked oo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 11:52pm On Jun 30, 2019
Things I observed about today's game:

1. This better has to be a one off for Balogun, else he'd be the error prone omuero who even awaziem was rated higher than.

2. This Aina was the Aina I celebrated when we stole him from the jaws of the Lions.

3. Awaziem has got eye for passes, that's his midfielder instinct kicking in right there.

4. We are not killers.

5. African football is scrappy!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6396) (6397) (6398) (6399) (6400) (6401) (6402) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Meliforme, Iview1, Ikanium(m), zicky(m), Yachambliss(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.