Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,765 members, 7,813,537 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6394) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11628505 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6391) (6392) (6393) (6394) (6395) (6396) (6397) ... (16135) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:48pm On Jun 30, 2019
darkelf:

You guys are just looking for excuses for Mikel.

Play him as AM or CM, Regista or box to box, Deep lying playmaker or advanced forward, he isn't the same player he used to be. In truth, he was always an above average player. I said it. You can't depend in a player like that. He isn't C. Rinaldo or Messi or Van Digk. He is above average at best. Hope we learn from this
He hasn't been impressive this tournament but he has played well for us most of the time. He played well in our friendlies.
I have been saying he should play deeper even when he was on form.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

If you believe Mikel is not the same player, how can playing him in an unfavourable position be a good solution?

Mikel should have been played deeper. Playing him in a packed position where he can not dictate the game is atrocious.

Even Iwobi found it difficult, let alone Mikel who does not play such role naturally. There are roles that suit players.

Ohhhhh. I see....some diehard fans haven't learnt still.

Keep making excuse for mediocre player. Kwatinue

grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2019
Sadiqali24:
let's tell ourselves the true, we have average players.

This is not about average. We are not playing as a team we lack ideas.
Is Madagascar above average? But they tactically discipline. This is team that know what to do at right time. There biggest asset is set pieces and it had been working well for them.

What is SE game plan?. Passing up and down with no end result. They can't go far that's just the truth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2019
That is part of my main annoyance at Rohr. He lacks creative invention on how best to utilize the monstrous attacking talents we boast. Please we cannot be unfortunate for too long to have this kinda conservative and attack-deficient coach at the helm in an era we are witnessing a rise of fantastic and beastly young talents who only need the right system and bold offensive approach in the national team to shine and explode.

TheGoodJoe:

Let the better players come, Rohr will still bench them.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2019
EEGA:
Awaziem is not a RB.

This match would have been the right match to start Osimhen.Against a team like Madagascar you need a fast striker like Osimhen.

Onyekuru should have started as LWF.

I just hope Rohr will be brave enough to give Osimhen and Onyekuru a chance.
Even if he does bring them in, the nauseous way he sets up his team, could still affect their performance

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 7:51pm On Jun 30, 2019
Joebie:
I don't know which comes first. But with what we have, it's not impossible to play as a team. The coach gets the blame after tutoring this team for almost 3 years or so now. This coach cannot do better even with more quality players

Probably not based on what we saw today, but we do need players to fill different positions and we definitely need a lot more teamwork, or maybe cohesion is a better word.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2019
this Madagascar team impressed me,lacks star players but play as a team

we should just dash them osimhen and henry since rohr do not need them

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2019
fabyom:
I am happy we lost at this stage.
This is the type of defeat that spurs team to success.
There is no cause for alarm, we lost to two fortuitous goals despite changing almost all our regular Midfielders.
We are winning this AFCON.
Bookmark this space.
#SoarsuperEagles

grin.... We are wining the AFCON. Which one?.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
That is part of my main annoyance at Rohr. He lacks creative invention on how best to utilize the monstrous attacking talents we boast. Please we cannot be unfortunate for too long to have this kinda conservative and attack-deficient coach at the helm in an era we are witnessing a rise of fantastic and beastly young talents who only need the right system and bold offensive approach in the national team to shine and explode.

To think he took 7 attacker, one would expect a goal fest. But no.......disappointments again. Just like the WC....much promise but aerial disappointment.

I think Rohr has overstayed his welcome. At our level, we shouldn't be content with a coach that just qualifies easily. We should be challenging for titles.

The Algeria we beat 3:1 has improved a great deal that I forsee them beating us silly should we meet

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2019
Seeing the comments here... cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:53pm On Jun 30, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

grin.... We are wining the AFCON. Which one?.

Abeaokuta Football Cup of Nations. That one

grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:54pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

I am not exaggerating. I do not think if we play with intensity, invention and bravery, any team in Africa can slow us with the kind of talents we have. The set up is terrible. I saw the line up and my jaw dropped. I felt sad that I was correct Rohr would not go on the offensive.

We need to play continuously with fully loaded fire power or we are wasting the massive crop of talents scattered all over Africa and Europe.

No disrespect to Papi Rohr.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:54pm On Jun 30, 2019
klexycole:
Seeing the comments here... cheesy

This place is small

Go to the match day thread..you'll know that we are just tempering justice with mercy here.

Someone said we should be ashamed of loosing to a team whose players bear botanical names

grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:55pm On Jun 30, 2019
No be just today oh. Based on what I have been seeing in this team.
I have always said don't expect surprises when it comes to Rorh. the same thing played out just before and during the WC. You cannot give what you don't have. On quality players, what positions do you think we need reinforcement? Hasn't cohesion been a problem? There are only a few games I've enjoyed under Rorh. one of them is the Argentina friendly. I saw a fluid instinctive game and quick reaction. I think when we keep the possession with useless passes we start to get confused as to what to do with the ball.

DrLikita12:

Probably not based on what we saw today, but we do need players to fill different positions and we definitely need a lot more teamwork, or maybe cohesion is a better word.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:56pm On Jun 30, 2019
hahahaha

darkelf:

This place is small

Go to the match day thread..you'll know that we are just tempering justice with mercy here.

Someone said we should be ashamed of loosing to a team whose players bear botanical names

grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:56pm On Jun 30, 2019
Keshi would have salivated at having the crop of players this clueless coach has now

RIP, big boss

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2019
Rohr is good for man management but tactics,this guy is poor damn....
I always remember vividly Stoke vs Arsenal days ...stoke will be 2 goals down...gbam! Hughes (not sure though) will bring on Crouch,move Shakiru (lolz) to wing...by the time about 5 crosses enter our box,stoke go equalize.
Ighalo and musa were poor today... Also you don't play Mikel and Ogu together at the same time.
our oyinbo wall really let us down today ...they were both responsible for both goals.
Mikel is not trash neither is Awaziem..both were just played out of position.
Rohr goofed big time.
If not for Ego,I don't see why a more tactical coach (siasia maybe) can't accept the assistant coaching position.
Well....if we are playing Egypt next,we should start packing our loads already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:58pm On Jun 30, 2019
And that is how our winning streak ended with a loss to ordinary Madagascar fa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by naturecures: 7:58pm On Jun 30, 2019
Madagascar a debutant schooled the eagles, the never Changing underdog as described by Rohr.

I have a question for NFF.

if Rohr cannot make good substitution don't we have a technical crew to think for the coach?

When will Rohr stop seeing Mikel as an attacking midfielder. is it a must?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:58pm On Jun 30, 2019
Someone said that Nigeria has Man-U defenders

Balogun- Smalling

Awaziem- Ashley young

Savage people day ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:58pm On Jun 30, 2019
The worse thing is his intention was to go blazing on defenses during this AFCON. He simply doesn't have it in him
darkelf:

To think he took 7 attacker, one would expect a goal fest. But no.......disappointments again. Just like the WC....much promise but aerial disappointment.

I think Rohr has overstayed his welcome. At our level, we shouldn't be content with a coach that just qualifies easily. We should be challenging for titles.

The Algeria we beat 3:1 has improved a great deal that I forsee them beating us silly should we meet
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:59pm On Jun 30, 2019
forgiveness:

Are you comparing Barcelona's style of play with SE? grin

Which player can tire pass like Barcelona players in the SE?

Despite the quality players Barcelona possses, they labour very hard to win park bus teams. Fact

Which players? What did Kalu do? Tell me.

We are talking about tactics and the right players to execute them in park bus situation.

Unfortunately, Rohr didn't go with that tactics rather, he wanted to work the ball in from the side and middle.

Sorry u brought in Chelsea. U compared their bus parking to that of Madagascar, so watchu saying really?

Musa was there, Ighalo and Simon were there also grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 30, 2019

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:00pm On Jun 30, 2019
Rohr has aways had bad assistants.

naturecures:
Madagascar a debutant schooled the eagles, the never Changing underdog as described as Rohr.

I have a question for NFF.

if Rohr cannot make good substitution don't we have a technical crew to think for the coach?

When will Rohr stop seeing Mikel as an attacking midfielder. is it a must?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:02pm On Jun 30, 2019
Someone said

"Once again, the fat kid is beating the favorite"

"But the favorite us usually a Nigerian" (AJ's loss)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2019
darkelf:
Keshi would have salivated at having the crop of players this clueless coach has now

RIP, big boss

He remains our best coach, the 2013 team is not as talented as this present team. At this stage am even OK with an amuneke. This coach if he stays longer will make many Nigerians begin to drink sniper. Na football still dey make many Nigerians happier now with all the woes we have as a country.

There is no point qualifying for tournaments in grand style and being to fumble in the Main event. Rohr is not confident in himself to do well in tourneys as he begins to form excuses of having a young team. Abeg we deserve a better coach whether local or foreign
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2019
Now easy to understand why Briton and Hove Albion’s Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy kept the shaky and error prone Balogun benched for the whole season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

No need for the bolded. The man is serving to the best of his capacity. Death threats are uncalled for. We are one big family. Harm to one is harm to all.
Lol... C'mon you don't believe I actually meant that literarily do you?
It's like telling your friend that just messed up that you'll "kill" him. It's just an expression bros, e no reach like that o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 30, 2019
enomakos:
for a team making their debut and finishing ahead of us in the group?

For a team that scored from a honeymoon gift and a deflected freekick.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:05pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I totally disagree. The reason why we were overrun time and time again is because the midfielders were over worked. Trying to get them to force the attack instead of sitting and mopping up.

All Rohr had to do was switch positions and get them to play deeper/close to the defence. We left too much space and midfield, giving room for the opponents to exploit.

We had Mikel running from midfield to attack, finding himself inside the box. We had Ndidi running up and down the field like he was saving Leicester from Barcelona on their best days.

I have asked why Rohr hardly tampers with the shape of his team. Change roles of players to nullify threats and gaps. Let Ogu and Mikel sit deep earlier in the first half. Second half make a proper offensive change but no. Mister Conservative must defend.
If we wanted to be on the offensive(which we did) - there was no need playing two CMs deep in addition to a back 4 especially when we had just one attacking fullback (Aina). What we needed was one of the CM to be able to make those late 3rd man runs into the box and have the stamina to drop deep. We all know Etebo is the only guy to do that. But Rohr chose to play Etebo as a DM which was an incredible waste.
Another thing which no one seems to be talking about is our lack of options at midfield. I remember that game against SA when Rohr invited just 3 CMs and when I complained folks said the result was what mattered. We are paying for a lack of CM options now especially with the likes of Kalu not a 100 percent when we could've given that spot to a CM.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:06pm On Jun 30, 2019
Goke7:

He remains our best coach, the 2013 team is not as talented as this present team. At this stage am even OK with an amuneke. This coach if he stays longer will make many Nigerians begin to drink sniper. Na football still dey make many Nigerians happier now with all the woes we have as a country.

There is no point qualifying for tournaments in grand style and being to fumble in the Main event. Rohr is not confident in himself to do well in tourneys as he begins to form excuses of having a young team. Abeg we deserve a better coach whether local or foreign

As in, its very painful.

Is it until the average age of our players are 34 before we would stand a chance?

Rohr has overstayed his welcome.

He should just go. The little things that give Nigerians peace are sports. Why is NFF and Rohr trying to take away that little joy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:06pm On Jun 30, 2019
darkelf:

Abeaokuta Football Cup of Nations. That one

grin cheesy

O pari grin

From WC disappointment since that time, I don't trust Papi Rohr he is looking for world class players to coach...

Just that we don't have good local coach... Painful.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6391) (6392) (6393) (6394) (6395) (6396) (6397) ... (16135) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: zicky(m), elyte89, chuks404, Afobear, M7even(m), Christinu2 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.