Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,046 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6397) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11783575 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6394) (6395) (6396) (6397) (6398) (6399) (6400) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:11pm On Jun 30, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

At Bolded.... Dad, Yes, you make a good point here. We had already qualified.

I recall at Chile 2015 U-17 WC, our Nwakali-led team lost to Croatia in the last group game but we went all the way to the title. We had already qualified and losing that game didn't mean we are suddenly poor.

Now, Boss Joseph1013 asked someone here a very good and Valid question.

"If this Madagascar game was a must-win game, do you think Rohr would have gone for this starting lineup?"

The answer to this question is obviously No. And that question shows a brilliant angle at looking at this loss. A loss coming in a dead rubber game. We were only playing to finish first. We rested our key players and made more changes to the lineup. Very valid points.

Now, I have no doubt we would emerge a different force in the round of 16 because Iwobi, Ndidi and Omeruo will return to the starting lineup. Chukwueze will hopefully get to be involved either from the start or from the bench (in case Simon or a fitter Kalu start).

The team lineup that beat Guinea will not lose to Madagascar. I know this much. But even at that, this team should have been better than this today and eve won this game if Rohr had put the players he picked for the right roles. Why toy with Mikel as an AM again against this die-hard Madagascar team looking to knock off a giant's head like David did? Why play Ogu as box-to-box? Why play Etebo as DM? Why start an unfit Kalu?

And to the players... Why Balogun, oh why wait for the ball to come to you?? Thus allowing a player that was behind you now get ahead of you, win the ball and score (not without disgracing Ezenwa).

See ehn Dad..... I know we were complacent defensively but Rohr's tactical set-up was the real miry clay today. The players he started today should be getting a win over Madagascar 5 out of 5 times if only they were deployed in the right roles.

But in all.... Let us see if this is the Chile 2015 Golden Eaglets scenario all over again. But I am now beyond convinced that Rohr is not the man to take our new heavy potentially golden generation to the land of "milk and honey"(translate that as Titles and Glories).

Even France with Didier Deschamps is crap. He may have won the World cup but it was not down to his tactical acumen. It was down to his squad's pool of unreal talents hungry for Glory. Now, he is being exposed for his tactical limitations and monotonous utility of France's deep pool of high bad ass quality talents ..... He is not the man to make France's WC triumph usher in a golden era of French domination. He lacks that bravery too but is tactically better than Rohr at least.

Nigeria's current rise of beastly talents deserve much better. I am focused on the long term and not jut short term glories. Our trophies cannot be easy qualifications for majors. And winning this Afcon will only cover the cracks that reads... "Rohr is not our Joshua. He is only a Moses."

The changes in the setup of the team were too many. There were no tactical changes even as we were chasing the game. All substitutions were "like for like".

We are condemned to playing lone strikers in this tournament as we don't have an SS that can give us that two strikers option. Except we opt for a 3-5-2 formation with 2 false 9s. I repeat, we went to Egypt with too many wingers. Asides, lacking an SS, we are lean in the midfield.

You are right about Kalu. He is not fully back. Besides, he didn't give his all. Probably trying to conserve energy to avoid a repeat of the fainting incident.

I hope with the return of some of the more regular players the team will get back on track.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:13pm On Jun 30, 2019
Triniti:
No lie detected, dude made that Ikorodu boy Razak to be feeling like Virgil
How people always seem to blame Ighalo even when he had a good game beats my imagination. He tried his best today to be honest but was starved of the ball. Same happened to Onachu by we overlooked it. He got one in our first match and scored. Our midfield was poor today. Really poor, with Mikel being the greatest culprit. We are so quick to pick a scapegoat all the time haba!!! Etebo had so much of the ball today but did little with it. I was expecting Samu to come in today but Simon was introduced.
Maybe Rohr should risk using Osihmen then as the front line is not scoring.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2019
I have said it before and will continue to say it. Rohr is a good Team manager but the NFF should please get him a tactician.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2019
So you see, even many of us cannot really point to players that are CLEARLY ahead of the ones we have now. Ajayi is part of this team. We have been talking about the GK situation for so long that these days people have given up on finding a better substitute abroad. We have GK coaches who have not done enough. So my sister it's more of a coaching issue than selection at this point. I think rorh has done at least 80% well in terms of selection but he remains clueless how to make these players complement themselves on the field of play. We cannot choose to keep on singing Rohr's praises of how he helped us qualify for tournaments. You qualify for tournaments to perform in the tournament proper. In this regard Rohr has always failed. Or maybe my verdict is too early. But at least tactically he is bereft of idea. Either way i'm fine, he get's a tactician as an assistant or get's the boot.

DrLikita12:

I think the Argentina game was his best. He's a good man manager and he's given us some results (qualifying us for AFCON after two missed tournaments, Worldcup with a game to spare...we haven't really needed our calculators with him) but like someone here suggested, he needs a tactician to help him if he's going to stay. He seems to have problems reading the game and making changes.
The midfield needs work. Another AM, a DM/CM (Semi Ajayi?) and definitely a goal keeper. We might need another CB although I don't think that is as urgent. I think this should be Mikel and Ogu's last tournament for us; probably Akpeyi as well, Uzoho seems to be struggling.
Cohesion is a problem at times. There are days we do really well and some days you just wonder...I admit that the coach has a bigger role to play with player selection than the players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2019
Icon4s:

The changes in the setup of the team were too many. There were no tactical changes even as we were chasing the game. All substitutions were "like for like".

We are condemned to playing lone strikers in this tournament as we don't have an SS that can give us that two strikers option. Except we opt for a 3-5-2 formation with 2 false 9s. I repeat, we went to Egypt with too many wingers. Asides, lacking an SS, we are lean in the midfield.

You are right about Kalu. He is not fully back. Besides, he didn't give his all. Probably trying to conserve energy to avoid a repeat of the fainting incident.

I hope with the return of some of the more regular players the team will get back on track.
Rightly said, very objective opinion
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bunique: 9:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
DrLikita12:

I think the Argentina game was his best. He's a good man manager and he's given us some results (qualifying us for AFCON after two missed tournaments, Worldcup with a game to spare...we haven't really needed our calculators with him) but like someone here suggested, he needs a tactician to help him if he's going to stay. He seems to have problems reading the game and making changes.
The midfield needs work. Another AM, a DM/CM (Semi Ajayi?) and definitely a goal keeper. We might need another CB although I don't think that is as urgent. I think this should be Mikel and Ogu's last tournament for us; probably Akpeyi as well, Uzoho seems to be struggling.
Cohesion is a problem at times. There are days we do really well and some days you just wonder...I admit that the coach has a bigger role to play with player selection than the players.
I really feel the coach decided to use this match as an experiment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
Madagascar has been convincing since the start of the tournament. They are a better TEAM (team play) clearly.
raindodger13:

No, I even critiqued Rohr in my earlier post. I was talking to a guy that said Madagascar is a better team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pelezico: 9:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
Sportilitica:

How people always seem to blame Ighalo even when he had a good game beats my imagination. He tried his best today to be honest but was starved of the ball. Same happened to Onachu by we overlooked it. He got one in our first match and scored. Our midfield was poor today. Really poor, with Mikel being the greatest culprit. We are so quick to pick a scapegoat all the time haba!!! Etebo had so much of the ball today but did little with it. I was expecting Samu to come in today but Simon was introduced.

I dont get why Etebo was playing at very deep in midfield on the right - i could be wrong but thats not his preferred role. Hes not a defender. Why oh why wont he play Henry Onyekuru.

Listen - theres something not right about this team. I would not be surprised if the manager or people in the nff are getting money for favours. This manager really needs to be removed ASAP.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:25pm On Jun 30, 2019
yes, or fire him..
Icon4s:
I have said it before and will continue to say it. Rohr is a good Team manager but the NFF should please get him a tactician.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 9:25pm On Jun 30, 2019
I really think Pinnick should be getting the phone number of that Ugandan coach. Thoroughly enjoy watching them; high tempo, lots of running and intense pressing game. I feel that would perfectly suit our young players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:26pm On Jun 30, 2019
It may seem unpopular Dad... But dropping Iheanacho, even though deserved, was possibly one of the mistakes Rohr made. He is the only natural SS we have and is our best setpiece taker. I have said it long before now... Nacho is key to this new golden generation and will be back to continue his contributions. This is just his nadir point and he must rise to be counted worthy again.

All the same... We await whoever we are bound to take on now.

Solace earlier today did a pathway check to the final had Nigeria finished first. He said a potential quarter final meeting with Cameroun awaits and if we survive that, then a potential Semi final game vs Egypt awaits. Could we have dodged a bullet with this loss? Loolll... Time will tell

Icon4s:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:26pm On Jun 30, 2019
Dehydration knocks down Onyango
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2019
you guys are not happy just because of the outcome of this match. But the plain truth is we have not been convincing in the tournament so far.

Bunique:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2019
Sportilitica:

sir...ighalo was not starved today..he was just playing big boy football up and down. .. falling over and fouling players throughout the match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2019
Sainty92:
What pained me most in this match is how that Madagascar player that scored that freekick was raising shoulder all through the match as if he is C. Ronaldo....

The way he took the free kick self it was like he was really aiming for a deflection on our players....

But then I don't think that was a foul.. Ndidi won the ball from the player fairly. he just fell down on his own...
Madagascar with the Ahmad factor may end up going farther in this tournament than we expect...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:28pm On Jun 30, 2019
I thought so at first. But realized that was clearly a foul after taking another look.
Danielnino00:

The way he took the free kick self it was like he was really aiming for a deflection on our players....

But then I don't think that was a foul.. Ndidi won the ball from the player fairly. he just fell down on his own...
Madagascar with the Ahmad factor may end up going farther in this tournament than we expect...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:28pm On Jun 30, 2019
Joebie:
you guys are not happy just because of the outcome of this match. But the plain truth is we have not been convincing in the tournament so far.

I love your analysis
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:30pm On Jun 30, 2019
ChrisKels:
Dehydration knocks down Onyango
scores sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:31pm On Jun 30, 2019
KevinDein:
I really think Pinnick should be getting the phone number of that Ugandan coach. Thoroughly enjoy watching them; high tempo, lots of running and intense pressing game. I feel that would perfectly suit our young players.

KPOM! Play to ur strength. U have speedy wingers, bank on that

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:31pm On Jun 30, 2019
mostob:
sir...ighalo was not starved today..he was just playing big boy football up and down.l .. falling over and fouling players throughout the match
He put his body on the line and had to play against two defenders, same happened to Onauchu in the first game. The set up na die and only a very strong and fast CF would make a difference
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 9:31pm On Jun 30, 2019
Bunique:

Maybe. Now he knows it won't work.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:32pm On Jun 30, 2019
mostob:
sir...ighalo was not starved today..he was just playing big boy football up and down. .. falling over and fouling players throughout the match

God bless you. same thing I saw.
anytime he under performs we will say he was starved off the balls...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:33pm On Jun 30, 2019
mostob:
scores sir

Egypt still leading 2-0 but the Ugandans have been the better side. The only thing keeping Egypt in this game is El Shenawi, the goalkeeper
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:34pm On Jun 30, 2019
Thanks boss
Sportilitica:

I love your analysis
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 9:34pm On Jun 30, 2019
Ahmad 2 Pinnick 0
Ahmad has just shown that he runs things no matter what or will I say Pinnick sold the match to Ahmad?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:36pm On Jun 30, 2019
Danielnino00:

Enough with the late excuses Danny, we were beaten fair and square. Stop this puerile conspiracy theory already, it is nauseating.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 9:37pm On Jun 30, 2019
So peeps are getting emotional over nothing.
We lost, so what?
I could vividly recall AFCON 2013.
We were to meet the Ivorians and so many peeps were shouting we cannot beat them upanda.
2004 against Cameroon, aahh Eto will destroy us!
What happened afterwards.

I don't deal with pessimist and kids.
Those of us that has been following soccer for 30+ years knows what the name Super Eagles can do.
What's all the wailing and gnashing of teeth for.

Our first team didn't start the match today.
We defeated the Guineas that topped the Ivorians during qualifiers.
So please don't mention silly ivory coast here.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:37pm On Jun 30, 2019
solonnachi:
Ahmad 2 Pinnick 0
Ahmad has just shown that he runs things no matter what or will I say Pinnick sold the match to Ahmad?

Sour loser grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CoolJulian: 9:38pm On Jun 30, 2019
Very poor performance!

We were lethargic and lacked ideas. As soon as I learnt that both Mikel and Ogu were starting, I knew there would be problem. The defining moment, however, was when we conceded that first goal...Who makes such mistake at such a time during an important match...? It was damn too early, got the team unsettled.

First, since the start of the tournament, our attackers have never meshed, this has reflected in our previous results; this is becoming very serious; most of our wingers are not very mature -forget all those dribblings, what is usually the end result...? Moses Simon, though, has proven to be the most mature of them, he offers much more. Kalu needs to seriously work on his decision making, Chukwueze is not exempted. I wonder how some people are sure that Onyekuru could have done a lot better.

We lack creative players so much, it killed us totally in this game. Apart from Iwobi, I see no other. Playing Mikel, Etebo and Ogu was never going to do us any good, both Mikel and Ogu should be belted to the bench, in fact, their days are numbered; Serious scouting should begin immediately after the tournament to reinforce the department.

I do not blame the defenders so much, Balogun's error aside, they collectively did well. Awaziem, though, does not seem convincing, his game still needs a lot of polishing. Lest I forget, delivering set pieces has always been a serious problem for this team, it does not seem that it'll end any soon; since Etebo is not convincing, can't another player be tried, for goodness sake?

Finally the team had a bit of ill luck, I feel a draw could have been a fair result, but it's a wake-up call to the team. Frankly speaking, the team still has all it takes to go all the way, it's going to depend largely on how well they're being managed.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:42pm On Jun 30, 2019
ChrisKels:

Egypt still leading 2-0 but the Ugandans have been the better side. The only thing keeping Egypt in this game is El Shenawi, the goalkeeper
ok thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:42pm On Jun 30, 2019
DR Congo smacking Zimbabwe 4-0.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:44pm On Jun 30, 2019
Sportilitica:

He put his body on the line and had to play against two defenders, same happened to Onauchu in the first game. The set up na die and only a very strong and fast CF would make a difference
ok sha. But apart from his goal against Burundi,he has not been convincing

(1) (2) (3) ... (6394) (6395) (6396) (6397) (6398) (6399) (6400) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m), joxxy01(m), dkay51(m), Moniter0, KpagoGIN(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.