Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,686 members, 7,831,127 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6439) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11758396 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6436) (6437) (6438) (6439) (6440) (6441) (6442) ... (16184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:05am On Jul 04, 2019
forgiveness:

Musa, to stop getting call up? grin

Awaziem too!? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin

Darklef is an Igbo smoker to put musa and expecially awaziem there

I weep for darklef

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:07am On Jul 04, 2019
ChrisKels:

Stop fooling around and stop this nonsense bkus it doesn't belong here. How would u feel if someone had made that statement "South West fools" about the Igbo nation?

Nerdy plz ban this thing if he persists with this stupidity in here. So much for a civilised man

lol who is nerdy ?

Say super nerd na moderator?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:13am On Jul 04, 2019
In other news, Mexico struggles to beat Haiti!
I think I'd alight at the next Earth spin stop now

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:31am On Jul 04, 2019
I have no issues the players. Na the coach. It’s not like our players are not doing well in their clubsides.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:31am On Jul 04, 2019
Odunayaw:
In other news, Mexico struggles to beat Haiti!

I think I'd alight at the next Earth spin stop now

The pessimists won't see this one to talk about. Mexico needed a late goal to win the game self... Same Mexico that beat the defending world champions at the world cup...

it's alright grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:36am On Jul 04, 2019
Danielnino00:

The pessimists won't see this one to talk about. Mexico needed a late goal to win the game self... Same Mexico that beat the defending world champions at the world cup...

it's alright grin

Its not the same Mexico as the WC. They have a different coach now smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:56am On Jul 04, 2019
darkelf:

U have no point here... Mexico are fat superior to Haiti in football . they are ranked 18th while Haiti are 101st......

They have no business struggling to beat them...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:06am On Jul 04, 2019
Danielnino00:

U have no point here... Mexico are fat superior to Haiti in football . they are ranked 18th while Haiti are 101st......

They have no business struggling to beat them...

They have a different coach now

Maybe the new coach is like Rohr grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by facts1234: 1:27am On Jul 04, 2019
isan:
whatever happen on Saturday awaziem should not play the right back if he can't displace one of the center backs he should seat on the bench and fasten the bench belt... his attitude against Madagascar make me cringe

I thought I was the only one that noticed. What exactly does Awaziem bring to this team? Even in the match against Guinea, Simon had to do more of covering him up than disturbing the Guinean defence.

Please tell Rohr to play CHUKWUEZE full time on Saturday. We need players that can regularly trouble the defence. Troubling the defence of your opponents makes them unsettled and prevents them from attacking, which is good. even if such troubling doesn't result in goals.

Ahmed Musa too, whether as a starter or a super sub. His runs are needed to destabilize Camerounians' attack.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 1:35am On Jul 04, 2019
komekn:

First of all I don't think Rohr has done badly he may not be adventurous.

But let's be honest do we have any real top players in our team, none of our strikers are game changers.

Considering the players available to Rohr he has done well. I don't think the inclusion of Osimhen and or Onyekuru would have made any major difference.

I am sure the coaching team have seen the players in training and used that to make thier selection.

Onyekuru is a real top player, he handed Galatasaray the league cup, maybe because he wanted champions league football next season. Onyekuru is very ambitious. Which of our wingers are with the kind of raves Onyekuru and Chukwueze are generating. Football is not all about gra gra and workrate, there should be sense, good positioning and the right movement. These are some of the things Onyekuru brings to his play.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by facts1234: 1:37am On Jul 04, 2019
ChrisKels:
Ighalo's stats:

1 shot (0 on target), 7 fouls, dispossessed 4
times and 6 bad first touches vs Madagascar.

1 shot (0 on target), 1 foul, dispossessed 0 times
and 5 bad first touches vs Guinea

Source:whoscored.com

Madness: Doing the same thing over and over
again while expecting different results

Cc Niyi

Tell them clearly o.

How come Ighalo with all his experience has not been able to deliver? Onuachu has not been given enough time as Ighalo. Osimhen has not been given a chance either.

For the experience pundits, please tell RoHR to please substitute Ighalo for Osimhen at half time. Let each of them play one half so we can better assess them. It's also unfair to us and Osimhen. Why do we keep using Ighalo? Why?

How much experience did Mba have to cause havoc in the 2013 finals?

This Super Eagles TEAM is a pointer to the fact that Experience is over-rated.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:56am On Jul 04, 2019
facts1234:

I thought I was the only one that noticed. What exactly does Awaziem bring to this team? Even in the match against Guinea, Simon had to do more of covering him up than disturbing the Guinean defence.

Please tell Rohr to play CHUKWUEZE full time on Saturday. We need players that can regularly trouble the defence. Troubling the defence of your opponents makes them unsettled and prevents them from attacking, which is good. even if such troubling doesn't result in goals.

Ahmed Musa too, whether as a starter or a super sub. His runs are needed to destabilize Camerounians' attack.

Funny enough, he has some loyalists here grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by facts1234: 1:57am On Jul 04, 2019
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Before you people start to judge Rohr, please first answer this question, can any player in super eagles score free kick or long range shot like Egypt Salah?

We had players that could do this, but we left them because " they aren't doing well in their clubs". Yes, we had Musa Muhammed.

What have " those doing well in their clubs" achieved?

We struggled in an easy group and Madagascar walloped us?

Not a single Super Eagles player in the best 11 AFCON round one games? It would have been better to take only the best home based players to this tournament. The embarrassment would not have exceeded this. Also, we don't have to waste our scarce resources that would have been put to bettering the lots of more Nigerians.

Lastly, we need to lend our voices to the call of getting ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS for our team. We need to talk about it very often. Because of 'Mikel", people shut their brains to quality players? Who did this to us?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:01am On Jul 04, 2019
Ajax almost gets to champions league final

Netherlands male team finishes as Euro Nations league runner-up

Netherlands female team gets to the FIFA WC final.

Is Netherlands becoming the hub of football

What can naija learn from them?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:02am On Jul 04, 2019
facts1234:

We had players that could do this, but we left them because " they aren't doing well in their clubs". Yes, we had Musa Muhammed.

Not a single Super Eagles player in the best 11 AFCON round one games? It would have been better to take only the best home based players to this tournament. The embarrassment would not have exceeded this. Also, we don't have to waste our scarce resources that would have been put to bettering the lots of more Nigerians.

Lastly, we need to lend our voices to the call of getting ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS for our team. We need to talk about it very often. Because of 'Mikel", people shut their brains to quality players? Who did this to us?

I did warn many about the over-reliance on Mikel but I was called deragatory names

Thank God some are seeing the light
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:07am On Jul 04, 2019
The female dutch no 7 has become my new crush cheesy

Looks pretty yet athletic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 2:48am On Jul 04, 2019
darkelf:
The female dutch no 7 has become my new crush cheesy

Looks pretty yet athletic
but non of our falcons excite you undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:07am On Jul 04, 2019
Starboytwo:
but non of our falcons excite you undecided

Does any of them excite you?

Beauty or footballing skills wise? grin

Maybe Oshoala but she didn't live up to expectations at the WC cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:21am On Jul 04, 2019
“The coach has to do a good work on the players. He has to get the right combination (of players) and the tactics must be good,” Bonfrere Jo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:37am On Jul 04, 2019
tbaba1234 have been absent for a while now, hope all is well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:00am On Jul 04, 2019
Joebie:
“The coach has to do a good work on the players. He has to get the right combination (of players) and [b]the tactics must be good,”[/b] Bonfrere Jo

Exactly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by markfemisgay: 5:33am On Jul 04, 2019
facts1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:03am On Jul 04, 2019
Looks like my prediction on the Falcons thread spanned out right just as i said eh.... Kikikikiki... USA vs Netherlands is a worthy final.

PDPGuy:

The Dutch team are a well-drilled side. I’ve enjoyed some of their attacking moves in the tournament, but I just think the US are 90 or 120 mins away from defending their title.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:10am On Jul 04, 2019
Omanbala1..... You have been shot a warning card. This is not the political section of warfare. If you cannot connect your political discourse with football here, and without throwing insults at a particular region, then I will be forced to call in the mods on you. This derailing nonsense from certain monickers here just gotta cease.

Take this as warning.... Semid4lyfe and others, abeg mark this.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:11am On Jul 04, 2019
You obviously don't know Ordega Francesca. Even Okobi is beautiful.

darkelf:

Does any of them excite you?

Beauty or footballing skills wise? grin

Maybe Oshoala but she didn't live up to expectations at the WC cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:26am On Jul 04, 2019
Super Eagles Players Unhappy With Rohr Over Team Selection And Formation

As many as five players of the senior national team of Nigeria have voiced out their unhappiness with the team selection of coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr at the ongoing 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

The 0-2 defeat suffered against Madagascar saw them finish second in their group with coach Gernot Rohr for the third game running making as many as five changes to his starting lineup for the game.

Players of the team are not bothered by the tactics of the team but most of them feel he has not been fair to some players base‎ on how he has instructed them to play while he hasn’t given the chance to others to play, notably Victor Osimhen and Henry Onyekuru.

Rohr according to the players is too defensive in his approach and keeps on insisting that the players play close to the defence and even the attack minded players are usually asked to track back with just one striker playing upfront.

Already the players have decided that they will hold showdown talks with the coach over tactics for the knock out round game on Saturday as they want a formation that will help them express themselves on the pitch of play.

owngoalnigeria.com

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:29am On Jul 04, 2019

Ighalo, Balogun tear Eagles’ camp apart

July 4, 2019

There is palpable unrest in the camp of the Super Eagles ahead of their round of 16 clash with Cameroon after two keys players clashed with Manager Gernot Rohr.

Our correspondent learnt that striker Odion Ighalo and defender Leon Balogun clashed with Rohr after the coach openly criticised them for the loss to Madagascar on their last group game.

Sources in the squad confirmed that the two players had heated altercations with the coach at their Helnan Palestine Hotel camp when he used harsh words in castigating them for the loss.

“Ighalo felt terribly bad when he heard about what the coach told the media that the team didn’t have strikers who were good enough. It infuriated him even the more when the gaffer mentioned similar thing during team’s meeting.

“Balogun too clashed with the coach, insisting the manager should not have singled him out for blames because of the mistake he made.
“I don’t think these players will play a part in the competition anymore but some officials of the Nigeria Football Federation have come in to resolve the problem, ” the source explained.

The players are aware of the situation and are also supporting their colleagues against the handler who was recently warned by the NFF to talk less.

newtelegraphng.com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:33am On Jul 04, 2019
darkelf:

You are pointless

If you are talking football don't be bias and keep on saying nonsense

It's a simple logic ,you will do anything to keep your happiness alive by dissing the eagles

Either Mexico change coach or not they don't have excuse not to beat Haiti

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

Ighalo, Balogun tear Eagles’ camp apart

July 4, 2019

There is palpable unrest in the camp of the Super Eagles ahead of their round of 16 clash with Cameroon after two keys players clashed with Manager Gernot Rohr.

Our correspondent learnt that striker Odion Ighalo and defender Leon Balogun clashed with Rohr after the coach openly criticised them for the loss to Madagascar on their last group game.

Sources in the squad confirmed that the two players had heated altercations with the coach at their Helnan Palestine Hotel camp when he used harsh words in castigating them for the loss.

“Ighalo felt terribly bad when he heard about what the coach told the media that the team didn’t have strikers who were good enough. It infuriated him even the more when the gaffer mentioned similar thing during team’s meeting.

“Balogun too clashed with the coach, insisting the manager should not have singled him out for blames because of the mistake he made.
“I don’t think these players will play a part in the competition anymore but some officials of the Nigeria Football Federation have come in to resolve the problem, ” the source explained.

The players are aware of the situation and are also supporting their colleagues against the handler who was recently warned by the NFF to talk less.

newtelegraphng.com
it's a norm to experience brawls and misunderstanding in camp.

Shouldn't in any way affect their performance..they re professionals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:37am On Jul 04, 2019
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Before you people start to judge Rohr, please first answer this question, can any player in super eagles score free kick or long range shot like Egypt Salah?

When did Salah start scoring free kick or long Lange shot

Please tell me it's this tournament
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ersonleads(m): 7:38am On Jul 04, 2019
we need to win the game on Saturday. Rohr needs to play two strikers.

4-4-2

4-4-1-1

this is deal. our back for should be Collins, omerou, ekong & aina. midfield; left flank(musa to start /kalu), defensive(ndidi), 10(iwobi), right wing(chukwueze to start/onyekuru)..... two of our strikers should be ighalo and osimhen.. ighalo needs osimhen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:39am On Jul 04, 2019
facts1234:

Tell them clearly o.

How come Ighalo with all his experience has not been able to deliver? Onuachu has not been given enough time as Ighalo. Osimhen has not been given a chance either.

For the experience pundits, please tell RoHR to please substitute Ighalo for Osimhen at half time. Let each of them play one half so we can better assess them. It's also unfair to us and Osimhen. Why do we keep using Ighalo? Why?

How much experience did Mba have to cause havoc in the 2013 finals?

This Super Eagles TEAM is a pointer to the fact that Experience is over-rated.

yeah exactly...experience is over rated.
especially when it is not substantial

I think the coach don't talk to this players on the areas of their games they need to work on...

if I was the coach by now...I should have a trusted free kick taker.

how? watch them in training...pick like 3 players, trust them with that responsibility...
follow them up with extra trainings on set piece even when others are resting...take them out and put them through extra trainings...even while in their club sides...
follow them with their performance, encourage them and remind them of the need to keep working on their F. kicks even if it will demand extra trainings from them.

likewise...Iwobi remind him that if he really wanna be a good AM for club and country he really needs to learn score from outside the 18 yard box...sit him down and play for him tapes of wonderful AMs like Gerald and lampard and many others who hitherto played football... help him with the scientific part of the game...tell him to work on his shots from outside the team yard box...

and keep following him up on his club performance...praise, encourage him and always tell him areas he needs to improve as regard shooting from the 18 yard box...

with time this changes will manifest.

same should be applied wit Chuks

(1) (2) (3) ... (6436) (6437) (6438) (6439) (6440) (6441) (6442) ... (16184) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Napoleon55(m), elyte89, Lyster360, Philosopher1979, solonnachi and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.