Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6440) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11777795 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6437) (6438) (6439) (6440) (6441) (6442) (6443) ... (16192) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:41am On Jul 04, 2019
krattoss:
it's a norm to experience brawls and misunderstanding in camp.

Shouldn't in any way affect their performance..they re professionals

the coach always look for someone or something to blame...

he is the problem with the team.

I just want him to give Henry and oshimen a chance...that's all I want
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:43am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

Ighalo, Balogun tear Eagles’ camp apart

July 4, 2019

There is palpable unrest in the camp of the Super Eagles ahead of their round of 16 clash with Cameroon after two keys players clashed with Manager Gernot Rohr.

Our correspondent learnt that striker Odion Ighalo and defender Leon Balogun clashed with Rohr after the coach openly criticised them for the loss to Madagascar on their last group game.

Sources in the squad confirmed that the two players had heated altercations with the coach at their Helnan Palestine Hotel camp when he used harsh words in castigating them for the loss.

“Ighalo felt terribly bad when he heard about what the coach told the media that the team didn’t have strikers who were good enough. It infuriated him even the more when the gaffer mentioned similar thing during team’s meeting.

“Balogun too clashed with the coach, insisting the manager should not have singled him out for blames because of the mistake he made.
“I don’t think these players will play a part in the competition anymore but some officials of the Nigeria Football Federation have come in to resolve the problem, ” the source explained.

The players are aware of the situation and are also supporting their colleagues against the handler who was recently warned by the NFF to talk less.

newtelegraphng.com

Thank you ighalo maybe you should retire from international football ,how dare you clash with the coach ?

As for balogun what is he feeling like na because him be oyinbo abi?

Anyway I hope this news is not true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 7:44am On Jul 04, 2019
andrew444:

You are pointless

If you are talking football don't be bias and keep on saying nonsense

It's a simple logic ,you will do anything to keep your happiness alive by dissing the eagles

Either Mexico change coach or not they don't have excuse not to beat Haiti

No mind them na.

Even Naija smashed Haiti in the confederation cup we played in 2013. Now Mexico struggled to beat them. it only points to one thing, which is ,teams are improving and the underdogs tag in football is reducing every year. No team wants to make up the number anymore

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 7:45am On Jul 04, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
You obviously don't know Ordega Francesca. Even Okobi is beautiful.

ngozi okobi!!! I like her alot. She is cute. Abeg I need her contact detail.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:50am On Jul 04, 2019
andrew444:

Thank you ighalo maybe you should retire from international football ,how dare you clash with the coach ?

As for balogun what is he feeling like na because him be oyinbo abi?

Anyway I hope this news is not true

they've been news lately of him saying they don't pass ball to him...
if he really made that statement...it means he is bein unprofessional...and very bad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 7:56am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

if he really made that statement...it means he is bein unprofessional...and very bad
how do u expect ighalo or any of our strikers to score when u have a clueless coach? The problem is not ighalo or any of the strikers but the problem is the coach. Set up your team to create chances and watch ighalo tear the net. Rohr must go!!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mybettingtips(m): 8:03am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

The team hardly create any meaningful chance in 90mins. Gonna be hard for any striker to score goals with the way the team plays. They play a defensive game and send long balls to the striker. What do you expect a striker to do with long balls when marked by two jam body defenders. You are marked out before you even get chance to nod or control the ball. We need to play attacking football and open up defenses with trickery and accurate passes not those annoying long balls

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Drtega: 8:12am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

July 4, 2019

There is palpable unrest in the camp of the Super Eagles ahead of their round of 16 clash with Cameroon after two keys players clashed with Manager Gernot Rohr.

Our correspondent learnt that striker Odion Ighalo and defender Leon Balogun clashed with Rohr after the coach openly criticised them for the loss to Madagascar on their last group game.

Sources in the squad confirmed that the two players had heated altercations with the coach at their Helnan Palestine Hotel camp when he used harsh words in castigating them for the loss.

“Ighalo felt terribly bad when he heard about what the coach told the media that the team didn’t have strikers who were good enough. It infuriated him even the more when the gaffer mentioned similar thing during team’s meeting.

“Balogun too clashed with the coach, insisting the manager should not have singled him out for blames because of the mistake he made.
“I don’t think these players will play a part in the competition anymore but some officials of the Nigeria Football Federation have come in to resolve the problem, ” the source explained.

The players are aware of the situation and are also supporting their colleagues against the handler who was recently warned by the NFF to talk less.

newtelegraphng.com

Cameroon go just dey happy now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:28am On Jul 04, 2019
Bunique:
the level of pessimism and negativity on this tread is becoming too much, the place is becoming toxic. can we just play our role as fans and just support the team not because winning is guaranteed but because that is what we should do I.e support respective of the situation. irrespective of our opinions on Rohr and the team the fact is we are stuck with them for now. Rohr will not be with us forever so let's just enjoy the afcon and hope for the best for our team.
if you really can't stand losing in soccer then support a team you are sure would always win.

Some ofe these guys dnt know our progress/wins in a tournament is for bragging and pride purpose... We have to support d team to win so we can have mouth in Africa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:35am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

Yes he has not gotten much pass but I don't think it's anyone fault ,it's just the way we find our team

I don't think anybody have refuse to pass to him ,he was the one with the best chance to pass to a fellow player so far and he didn't pass to musa against guinea

I just hope those statements are not true ,that's all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:37am On Jul 04, 2019
timay:

No mind them na.

Even Naija smashed Haiti in the confederation cup we played in 2013. Now Mexico struggled to beat them. it only points to one thing, which is ,teams are improving and the underdogs tag in football is reducing every year. No team wants to make up the number anymore

It's tahiti we won sha

No my that guy jare

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 8:40am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

July 4, 2019

newtelegraphng.com

I like what is going on in camp

It will heat the players spirit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 8:41am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

yeah exactly...experience is over rated.
especially when it is not substantial

I think the coach don't talk to this players on the areas of their games they need to work on...

if I was the coach by now...I should have a trusted free kick taker.

how? watch them in training...pick like 3 players, trust them with that responsibility...
follow them up with extra trainings on set piece even when others are resting...take them out and put them through extra trainings...even while in their club sides...
follow them with their performance, encourage them and remind them of the need to keep working on their F. kicks even if it will demand extra trainings from them.

likewise...Iwobi remind him that if he really wanna be a good AM for club and country he really needs to learn score from outside the 18 yard box...sit him down and play for him tapes of wonderful AMs like Gerald and lampard and many others who hitherto played football... help him with the scientific part of the game...tell him to work on his shots from outside the team yard box...

and keep following him up on his club performance...praise, encourage him and always tell him areas he needs to improve as regard shooting from the 18 yard box...

with time this changes will manifest.

same should be applied wit Chuks

This is common sense
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 8:47am On Jul 04, 2019
Mybettingtips:

The team hardly create any meaningful chance in 90mins. Gonna be hard for any striker to score goals with the way the team plays. They play a defensive game and send long balls to the striker. What do you expect a striker to do with long balls when marked by two jam body defenders. You are marked out before you even get chance to nod or control the ball. We need to play attacking football and open up defenses with trickery and accurate passes not those annoying long balls
To do all this ,you need a pacy 9(Osimhen) with pacy and technical wingers(Chukwueze and Onyekuru not Musa and Simon).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 8:50am On Jul 04, 2019
Mybettingtips:

Ighalo should also know that his call-ups will end if Rohr gets sacked.

I don't think he is better than Osimhen or Odey.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:53am On Jul 04, 2019
Truidstar:

The right word is our football has evolved not regressed. Brazil used to have Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho in a Generation. They don't have that anymore they have evolved to cope with their limitations. That's what we need to do too.

I am complete loss to make any rational of your comments and the use of the term EVOLVED.

But let me indulge you, first of all the term EVOLVED is intrinsic to PROGRESSION not REGRESSION.

But it's not that important the use of diction here.

Now let's look at what Brazil has evolved too in comparison to our golden age.

In 2009 we hosted the U17 football tournament we almost won it. Brazil didn't go far, however in thier team.

But let's look at where a good number of those players are now from that 2009 squad . Alison is the current Liverpool goalkeeper, arguably the best in the world. I will name 5 players from that set that are household names, Coutinho, Giovani, Casemiras, Neymar, Willen, all played for the Brazilian national team and or the best top teams in Europe.

Compare our 2009 set where have they progressed to Turkey and obscure teams or even retired or playing local football in Nigeria. That's REGRESSION there is no Evolving component here.

Fast forward and you can add to that list Gabriel, Firminho, Thiago, Felipe, Gustavo, Marcelo, Alves, Luiz, etc, etc.

There are a bunch of Brazilian teenagers that the top clubs are fighting over with crazy money, I will not mention them that would be overkill.

The correct reference is that Brazil had evolved to with even better players and Nigeria has REGRESSED COMPLETELY.

So consider what you want to say before making it public and opening yourself to ridicule.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:54am On Jul 04, 2019
darkelf:

Only Ndidi would make the bench. The rest won't make the team

Agreed without one iota of reservation.

See how we have PROGRESSED Chei !!!

Meanwhile our Expectations have increased astronomically some even believed we had a chance to win the World cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:58am On Jul 04, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Agreed ,but you also have to take in account that some of our current players are still young. Osimhen, Onyekuru, Aina, Chukwueze and Iwobi are still very young.

How old was Oliseh, Kanu, Babayaro and Amokachi when they started making waves.

Poor excuse.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:06am On Jul 04, 2019
Truidstar:
When some folks say Osimhen is unproven, I am really at a loss for words. This is the same Osimhen fresh from an U17 World Cup, whose introduction in an U23 nations cup semifinal against the hosts Senegal changed the game and we won. Every team needs a player with that X Factor. The Zambians in 94 prepared for Yekini. Westerhof started Amunike who won that game for us.

You really don't understand football.

U23 football and senior team football are miles apart. To bring context l can assure you the entire Libyan U23 team will struggle against Fulham U23. It's very easy to look good when the opposition is mediocre.

Even the Nigerian Uncles sorry U23 team bar a few players was not that outstanding.

IMO Osimhen is very lightweight for the kind of physically intensive high impact fast game thay Cameroon will bring.

The only two forward players that can make an impact first is Ighalo, then Onuachu although his lack of pace is a big handicap.

Osimhen could come in for the last 15 minutes so that his feet will touch Egyptian grass. Because I have my doubts if we can win this game, if we do it will be close. Cameroon will be seeking revenge from the last whipping we gave them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:07am On Jul 04, 2019
EEGA:
Ighalo should also know that his call-ups will end if Rohr gets sacked.

I don't think he is better than Osimhen or Odey.
He doesn't know wats going on. The mumu no know say the moment he's sacked , he's playing days in the team will be over. Rohr that is helping his career is the one he's fighting
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 04, 2019
komekn:

You really don't understand football.

U23 football and senior team football are miles apart. To bring context l can assure you the entire Libyan U23 team will struggle against Fulham U23. It's very easy to look good when the opposition is mediocre.

Even the Nigerian Uncles sorry U23 team bar a few players was not that outstanding.

IMO Osimhen is very lightweight for the kind of physically intensive high impact fast game thay Cameroon will bring.

The only two forward players that can make an impact first is Ighalo, then Onuachu although his lack of pace is a big handicap.

Osimhen could come in for the last 15 minutes so that his feet will touch Egyptian grass. Because I have my doubts if we can win this game, if we do it will be close. Cameroon will be seeking revenge from the last whipping we gave them.

Bro, my only reply is watch Cameroon for 90 mins then let's come and have a constructive argument. Cameroon will be prepared for Ighalo. Give them something they don't expect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:14am On Jul 04, 2019
drDoom3:

I've been literally screaming this since. I watched Osimhen in the U-17 World Cup and Belgium Pro League last season, and I can confidently say that he is the most talented and endowed number 9 we have at the moment. He has Ighalo's strength and Onuachu's height to an extent, he is faster than both of them and more slippery. He can take on two to three defenders at a time and is too versatile to be caged the way Ighalo is. The guy had 20 goals in an average Chaleroi side and was their player of the season. Plus, Seedorf won't expect it and the last minute inclusion may shatter Cameroon's game plan. I just hope Rohr has the balls to try this out.

How many goals did he score in the Belguim league a total of 11. He wasn't the best on that league and he is not in the top 5. He is not the best young striker in that league, he is still a very goo top player. But keep matters in context.

Cup games against mediocre opposition give the impression that you are a lot better than you are. So I take cognisance of league games not cup games.

This was a guy that was completely dead in the Bundesliga and now in his first competitive season in football you have turned him to Drogba.

He is not physically imposing he does not have anywhere near the strength of Ighalo or Onuachu. You are over exaggerating and taking players on is not his main strength. But his finishing is good. positioning and he has a good eye for goal.

Finally you can not rely on past youthful glories to decide a player is good enough for the SE.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 04, 2019
komekn:

I am complete loss to make any rational of your comments and the use of the term EVOLVED.

But let me indulge you, first of all the term EVOLVED is intrinsic to PROGRESSION not REGRESSION.

But it's not that important the use of diction here.

Now let's look at what Brazil has evolved too in comparison to our golden age.

In 2009 we hosted the U17 football tournament we almost won it. Brazil didn't go far, however in thier team.

But let's look at where a good number of those players are now from that 2009 squad . Alison is the current Liverpool goalkeeper, arguably the best in the world. I will name 5 players from that set that are household names, Coutinho, Giovani, Casemiras, Neymar, Willen, all played for the Brazilian national team and or the best top teams in Europe.

Compare our 2009 set where have they progressed to Turkey and obscure teams or even retired or playing local football in Nigeria. That's REGRESSION there is no Evolving component here.

Fast forward and you can add to that list Gabriel, Firminho, Thiago, Felipe, Gustavo, Marcelo, Alves, Luiz, etc, etc.

There are a bunch of Brazilian teenagers that the top clubs are fighting over with crazy money, I will not mention them that would be overkill.

The correct reference is that Brazil had evolved to with even better players and Nigeria has REGRESSED COMPLETELY.

So consider what you want to say before making it public and opening yourself to ridicule.

Good point. Of all the players you have mentioned, which of them is at the level of Messi or Ronaldo? Brazil we know produces players consistently at that level. My argument is they are no longer producing players at that level, they have adjusted accordingly. We have not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:17am On Jul 04, 2019
Joebie:
I made it clear winning is a possibility but my prediction is a loss via penalty. I’m not afraid of the outcome. It’s not like u guys can flog me here if we won.

I dey come for all the mentions. Just had to check here quickly.

I would second that.

I am hoping for a slim and highly contentious 2-1 win for Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:21am On Jul 04, 2019
Truidstar:

Good point. Of all the players you have mentioned, which of them is at the level of Messi or Ronaldo? Brazil we know produces players consistently at that level. My argument is they are no longer producing players at that level, they have adjusted accordingly. We have not.

See your rational it's not adding up.

How many players in the last 30 years cam compare to Messi and Ronaldo. Let's be realistic. Apart from Pele which Brazilian player in the history of football can be compared to those two

Brazil is currently producing the highest number of top class players in the world more than before.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:22am On Jul 04, 2019
komekn:

How many goals did he score in the Belguim league a total of 11. He wasn't the best on that league and he is not in the top 5. He is not the best young striker in that league, he is still a very goo top player. But keep matters in context.

Cup games against mediocre opposition give the impression that you are a lot better than you are. So I take cognisance of league games not cup games.

This was a guy that was completely dead in the Bundesliga and now in his first competitive season in football you have turned him to Drogba.

He is not physically imposing he does not have anywhere near the strength of Ighalo or Onuachu. You are over exaggerating and taking players on is not his main strength. But his finishing is good. positioning and he has a good eye for goal.

Finally you can not rely on past youthful glories to decide a player is good enough for the SE.

@Your last paragraph

We can't rely on the past youthful glories but we can rely on Ighalo's past glory of scoring 15 goals in one season at Watford, which was about 4 seasons ago.

well done sir

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:22am On Jul 04, 2019
Truidstar:

Bro, my only reply is watch Cameroon for 90 mins then let's come and have a constructive argument. Cameroon will be prepared for Ighalo. Give them something they don't expect.

Let me be direct, Cameroon go take Osimhen do Suya.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:26am On Jul 04, 2019
Humility017:

July 4, 2019

newtelegraphng.com

At the bolded, make this AFCON come and go abeg make we start building our new striking force for the 2022 WC. Nonsense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:30am On Jul 04, 2019
timay:

He doesn't know wats going on. The mumu no know say the moment he's sacked , he's playing days in the team will be over. Rohr that is helping his career is the one he's fighting

If not for ighalo Rohr would have been sacked for losing to Libya in Tunisia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:31am On Jul 04, 2019
For example, Kachikwu lamented that our refineries have not been maintained at the same level like those in the neighbouring countries such as Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire, noting that their refineries that are about the same age with Nigeria’s, are working at 90 per cent capacity.

Algeria’s Skikda refinery built in 1983 is currently Africa’s largest refinery with a daily production of over 320,000 barrels has reportedly gone full-scale maintenance. Five years ago, the Algerian state oil firm, Sonatrach, closed the refinery for six months to carry out maintenance.

In the same vein, South Africa’s SAPREF Durban refinery built 52 years ago with a daily production capacity of up to 180,000 and Egypt’s Mostorod Refinery with 142,000 daily production capacity, are ranked above Nigeria’s plants due to their world-class maintenance culture. Thus, at the root of Nigeria’s refining problems is lack of maintenance nurtured by corruption.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:32am On Jul 04, 2019
facts1234:

Tell them clearly o.

How come Ighalo with all his experience has not been able to deliver? Onuachu has not been given enough time as Ighalo. Osimhen has not been given a chance either.

For the experience pundits, please tell RoHR to please substitute Ighalo for Osimhen at half time. Let each of them play one half so we can better assess them. It's also unfair to us and Osimhen. Why do we keep using Ighalo? Why?

How much experience did Mba have to cause havoc in the 2013 finals?

This Super Eagles TEAM is a pointer to the fact that Experience is over-rated.

Very simple because he is comprehensively better.

But l do hope he plays so all the hype will end, when we see what he brings to the table.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 9:33am On Jul 04, 2019
komekn:

Let me be direct, Cameroon go take Osimhen do Suya.
come to think of it, he might be roasted true true... Cameroonian teams always look like agberoes...

(1) (2) (3) ... (6437) (6438) (6439) (6440) (6441) (6442) (6443) ... (16192) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Theben(m), victornoah(m), gbengaolu360 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.