Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,474 members, 7,861,371 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:54 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6520) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11932105 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6517) (6518) (6519) (6520) (6521) (6522) (6523) ... (16337) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

grin grin

For real, it is like this Rohr took Kai Kai.

When Real Betis beat Barcelona, they became the favourites to win the La Liga.

Are you surprised, me I don talk say the man go miss yan before tomorrow and he has not disappointed as usual grin

fear fear coach, no wonder our boys sef dey fear for pitch. Like papa like sons things. The earlier this man go back to his village, the better for us.

I was ashamed when the Ugandan analyst on superports said Cameroon was better than us but we just scored to make the difference. Even Larry Kingston before his Ghana was dumped out said Nigeria was getting jittery before the Cameroonians scored and that we should learn from Benin. I said see wetin papa rohr don't turn us into.

I pray the Eagles win but won't be a bad idea too if we loose so rohr can go on time cos I can't understand how an omeruo who has played 7 matches at a senior world cup will be still be jittery, Omo na jazz?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:57pm On Jul 09, 2019
OMANBALA1:

So, Osimhen did not earn game time?? Remind me the league where Osimhen plays and Ighalo. The only reason Ighalo is starting ahead of Osimhen is based precisely on super eagles experience. It has nothing to do with club form.

In fact, the part where he says the National team isn't a place to build career got to me

So, Onuachu playing in Denmark is better than Osimhen playing in Belgium.

The only worthwhile argument is physical strength and height which Onuachu may have better than Osimhen but apart from that, I don't see any other better quality
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:57pm On Jul 09, 2019
Exclusive – Ola Aina Out, Collins, Chukwueze In Rohr’s Starting Lineup For South Africa Tie

Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal that coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr will likely drop Ola Aina from his starting lineup for the AFCON quarter final game against South Africa.

Base on the training session of the team, Rohr has picked Jamilu Collins in the team that contains most of the regular players ahead ‎of Aina who has so far played in every game for Nigeria.

Aina could however shift to the right back position which is his preferred role but Rohr has been very impressed with the performance of Chidozie Awaziem who has filled in admirably well as cover since the injury to regular right back Shehu Abdullahi in the first game.

Another move made by the coach is the decision to hand a start to Samuel Chukwueze for the second time in this tournament ‎ahead of Moses Simon who will be given a rest for the game.

For now the two changes appear to be the ones the coach will likely make to the team that started the 3-2 win over Cameroon in the round of 16.

owngoalnigeria.com

I don't know what is wrong with Rohr sometimes...a player just returning from injury to start against RSA in the Qfinal..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:03pm On Jul 09, 2019
oga all na mind game. it will be boastful and arrogant for him to come out in the press with comments that SA will be roasted. lets wait and watch how things unfold tomorrow
Goke7:

Are you surprised, me I don talk say the man go miss yan before tomorrow and he has not disappointed as usual grin

fear fear coach, no wonder our boys sef dey fear for pitch. Like papa like sons things. The earlier this man go back to his village, the better for us.

I was ashamed when the Ugandan analyst on superports said Cameroon was better than us but we just scored to make the difference. Even Larry Kingston before his Ghana was dumped out said Nigeria was getting jittery before the Cameroonians scored and that we should learn from Benin. I said see wetin papa rohr don't turn us into.

I pray the Eagles win but won't be a bad idea too if we loose so rohr can go on time cos I can't understand how an omeruo who has played 7 matches at a senior world cup will be still be jittery, Omo na jazz?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:04pm On Jul 09, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by obaaderemi: 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2019
IronGalaxy:
like I said earlier. You are the last dog to bark
You just barked like the dog you are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:07pm On Jul 09, 2019
komekn:

Look at the infantile response you have given now if you were in elementary school it would be understandable.

You really show the depths of your prejudice and unrestrained bigotry.

What has Tega Abrahams got to do with this discussion.

You really do have issues.

Hahahahaha e pain am tongue

U can waste ur soul just to make sure u berate Osimhen and whenever someone compares him to ur favourites u feel like committing suicide. Bros take sniper if u are pained grin grin grin

U wanna tell me how poor Osimhen is, and I put it to u, he is fitter than ur Tammy. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:13pm On Jul 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
ighalo have paid his dues in a top league as the epl before he left for china for monetary gain which is understandable. the brazil national prefer calling up a player from the csl than a player banging in goals week in week out for anderlecht,club brugge,standard liege,genk and gent who are the biggest teams in belgian football.

the same oshimeh counldnt hold his own in an unstable club as wolfsburg but i will never judge him with that because it was also a learning route in his young career. oshimeh's time will come but for now ighy is the best we can boast of

You started on the wrong note by comparing a well organized and funded Brazil professional league(i guess that's what csl stands for) to the Super Eagles situation. Fact is that Osimhen is our best striker in the just ended season in Europe not Ighalo and Chinese league is no where comparable to Belgian league. Therefore, I maintain the only reason Ighalo is starting has nothing to do with club form...my statement will be further validated when you take in account what a crappy tactician Rohr is. So, dont compare apples and oranges....use the appropriate variables. Many clubs in the Brazilian professional league can give some European super powers a run for their money. Gabriel Jesus waa bought directly from Brazilian league. They have good quality.

Also, using Osimhen's time at Wolfsburg to degrade him is just pathetic....if you know what a teenage players fresh off the boat go through in these European clubs you will hide your face in shame....this is a young man who was a teenager and still learning the basic. There could be a thousand reason why he was not CONSTANTLY played. However , the same Osimhen is in another clubside churning out goals like nobody's business....He who laughs last...while Ighalo was bungled out of premiership.

I see your romance with Southgate....lol

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by obaaderemi: 6:13pm On Jul 09, 2019
Curtisaxel7:
When i remember the way this SA team moves the ball from defense to attack in split seconds......hmm. The beautiful quick midfield interchanges they are so fond of.....hmm. Percy Tau's wizardry..... hmm. Lorch's lethality.... hmm. Mothiba's mobility.... hmm.

I sorry for Nigeria.
Eeeehn? How come they didn't qualify for the world cup with all of this?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:17pm On Jul 09, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:17pm On Jul 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
oga all na mind game. it will be boastful and arrogant for him to come out in the press with comments that SA will be roasted. lets wait and watch how things unfold tomorrow

Guy , even if Rohr decides he want to boast he cant because his team has played very poorly and had just managed to tuck in their goal. Their first real test will be against South Africa....No hiding place because those guys have beaten us before.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 6:23pm On Jul 09, 2019
Humility017:
Exclusive – Ola Aina Out, Collins, Chukwueze In Rohr’s Starting Lineup For South Africa Tie

Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal that coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr will likely drop Ola Aina from his starting lineup for the AFCON quarter final game against South Africa.

Base on the training session of the team, Rohr has picked Jamilu Collins in the team that contains most of the regular players ahead ‎of Aina who has so far played in every game for Nigeria.

Aina could however shift to the right back position which is his preferred role but Rohr has been very impressed with the performance of Chidozie Awaziem who has filled in admirably well as cover since the injury to regular right back Shehu Abdullahi in the first game.

Another move made by the coach is the decision to hand a start to Samuel Chukwueze for the second time in this tournament ‎ahead of Moses Simon who will be given a rest for the game.

For now the two changes appear to be the ones the coach will likely make to the team that started the 3-2 win over Cameroon in the round of 16.

owngoalnigeria.com

I don't know what is wrong with Rohr sometimes...a player just returning from injury to start against RSA in the Qfinal..

This may be a blessing in disguise Aina has concentration issues and Collins is a better defender

We need to be on our toes against SA wingers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 6:26pm On Jul 09, 2019
Mullerfixed9:
Sure odds available

Hey I don't want your sure odds
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:27pm On Jul 09, 2019
i made reference to Brazilian players plying their trade in the chinese super league not Brazilian clubs. rohr is crappy but qualified a team who failed to make it to the afcon back to back with a game spared and also qualified the team from a group that comprised top african teams such as zambia,algeria and cameroon enroute to the world cup without losing a single game just in the space of 3 years.

he is crappy and turned our team to one of the most feared team in africa once again which is what we were known of in african football previously. what was our rating in world football and africa when rohr took charge of the team compared to now?

when we were grouped against against cameroon,algeria,zambia during the world cup qualifiers did you ever believed that the team will qualify easily like the did considering the foes they faced during the qualifiers?

the problem we have as Nigerians is that we are way too ambitious and lack patience without putting into consideration that in the game of football it takes time to build a decent team. to me i agree rohr is not the best but he has so far done enough to build a decent team from scratch and as well built a solid foundation for any other coach who will take over when he vacates his position.

OMANBALA1:

You started on the wrong note by comparing a well organized and funded Brazil professional league(i guess that's what csl stands for) to the Super Eagles situation. Fact is that Osimhen is our best striker in the just ended season in Europe not Ighalo and Chinese league is no where comparable to Belgian league. Therefore, I maintain the only reason Ighalo is starting has nothing to do with club form...my statement will be further validated when you take in account what a crappy tactician Rohr is. So, dont compare apples and oranges....use the appropriate variables. Many clubs in the Brazilian professional league can give some European super powers a run for their money. Gabriel Jesus waa bought directly from Brazilian league. They have good quality.

Also, using Osimhen's time at Wolfsburg to degrade him is just pathetic....if you know what a teenage players fresh off the boat go through in these European clubs you will hide your face in shame....this is a young man who was a teenager and still learning the basic. There could be a thousand reason why he was not CONSTANTLY played. However , the same Osimhen is in another clubside churning out goals like nobody's business....He who laughs last...while Ighalo was bungled out of premiership.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 6:29pm On Jul 09, 2019
Awaziem justifying his inclusion in the 23 man squad

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:29pm On Jul 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
oga the way una dey see football self tire me. our midfield is weak and lacks quality then wont it be more porous when you subdue the strength in the middle of the park by deploying 2 strikers and left with a depleted midfield of 2 players? nawaooo

you can only use two attackers when you have a good number 8 who will work tirelessly to help in the midfield and attack at the same time.

Read on inverted full backs. That is why I keep crying of invention.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 6:31pm On Jul 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:

If truly Collins is fit then It will be delighted to see chukwueze start ahead of Simon.

I just hope Collins is truly back..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 6:31pm On Jul 09, 2019
I want Balogun to start tomorrow we need a defender that is comfortable on the ball and won't balloon it everytime

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:33pm On Jul 09, 2019
OMANBALA1:

CSL means Chinese Super League.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:33pm On Jul 09, 2019
they have played poorly but in the quarter finals? they played poorly because they didn't bruise and dismantle teams in our group with scorelines like 10-0,8-0 and 7-0? spain that won 2010 world cup lost their first match and won subsequent ones with 1-0 score line even in the finals against the Netherlands.

you all lost hope in the team because they lost to lowly madagascar but to me that was a reality check and an eye opener which made the players to sit up. to me that defeat is a blessing in disguise
OMANBALA1:

Guy , even if Rohr decides he want to boast he cant because his team has played very poorly and had just managed to tuck in their goal. Their first real test will be against South Africa....No hiding place because those guys have beaten us before.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2019
Humility017:

owngoalnigeria.com

I don't know if Rohr has been practicing Free Kicks around the 18-yard-box. But incase he hasn't, I suggest:
1. Etebo, 2. Musa, 3. Ogu, 4. Simon 5. Chukwueze, 6. Ndidi to take our Free Kicks and deliver Corner kicks in that order.

For scoring set pieces someone like Ighalo, Onyekuru, Omeruo, Ndidi, Balogun, Ekong, Osimehn or Onuachu should be in the box around the goal post.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2019
Icon79:
h my goodness, I have NEVER seen a coach who bash his players the way Gernot Rohr denigrates his players. First it was Iheanacho and now it's Osihmen. Even if you have something against your player, do you have to broadcast it to the entire world? This man should have been fired immediately after the Argentina mach.

O pari

It's obvious dude is irritated by all these questions(he probably reads the comments on here lol)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:39pm On Jul 09, 2019
OMANBALA1:

So, Osimhen did not earn game time?? Remind me the league where Osimhen plays and Ighalo. The only reason Ighalo is starting ahead of Osimhen is based precisely on super eagles experience. It has nothing to do with club form.

You jumped in without understanding the context and to whom my response was directed too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:43pm On Jul 09, 2019
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has suggested that John Obi Mikel is available for selection when his side battle South Africa in an Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinal clash in Cairo on Wednesday evening.

The former Chelsea midfielder sat out the round of 16 match against Cameroon after failing to recover from a knee injury he suffered in the 2-0 loss to Madagascar nine days ago.

As far as injuries are concerned, Rohr stated at Tuesday's press conference that every single player trained in the penultimate workout on Monday, meaning the likes of Mikel, Jamilu Collins and Abdullahi Shehu can be called upon to face Bafana Bafana.

Injury or no injury, the Super Eagles captain is believed to be behind Arsenal's Alex Iwobi in the pecking order of playmakers while Oghenekaro Etebo and Wilfred Ndidi are the preferred defensive midfielders.

Providing an injury update, Rohr said : ''Now our offensive department is on a good level, we had some players who were injured, who did not have so many matches to play, who were fasting, who were sick.

''The preparation was not easy but now it is the first time yesterday in the training session that we had 23 players participating.

''Everybody is fit now so it will be very difficult for me to select the team.''

Mikel earned his 89th Nigeria cap in the 2-0 loss to Madagascar on June 30 and made way for Alex Iwobi 14 minutes into the second half.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:43pm On Jul 09, 2019
tbaba1234:
Rohr on Osimhen and Onyekuru:

"Onyekuru and Osimhen are young and they are here to learn. Musa and Ighalo are experienced so they are the ones to start. For Onyekuru, he has to first fight with Simon and Chukwueze for a position and then maybe for the central position. For Osimhen, he has to be stronger. In training, any touch he falls down. So I tell him to be strong"
Onyekuru is a LW. At least Rohr sees him as an option through the middle. He should be a like for like(albeit with more potential) replacement for Musa.
He should've started both against Madagascar and if they flopped he'd have pointed to it as a reason.
I said Osimhen only made the squad as a precaution in case Ighalo wasn't fit enough and people didn't believe.
We have wasted a valuable place that would've gone to a midfielder.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:43pm On Jul 09, 2019
raindodger13:

I don't know if Rohr has practiced free kicks around the 18 yard box. If he hasn't I suggest 1. Etebo 2. Musa 3. Chukwueze 4. Ndidi to take our free kicks and deliver corners in that order.
For Scoring set pieces somelike Ighalo, Onyekuru, Omeruo, Ndidi, Balogun, Ekong, Osimehn or Onuachu should be around the goal post.

Ndidi ke

He has a good jump but taking set-pieces isn't such a good Idea
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:44pm On Jul 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has suggested that John Obi Mikel is available for selection when his side battle South Africa in an Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinal clash in Cairo on Wednesday evening.

The former Chelsea midfielder sat out the round of 16 match against Cameroon after failing to recover from a knee injury he suffered in the 2-0 loss to Madagascar nine days ago.

As far as injuries are concerned, Rohr stated at Tuesday's press conference that every single player trained in the penultimate workout on Monday, meaning the likes of Mikel, Jamilu Collins and Abdullahi Shehu can be called upon to face Bafana Bafana.

Injury or no injury, the Super Eagles captain is believed to be behind Arsenal's Alex Iwobi in the pecking order of playmakers while Oghenekaro Etebo and Wilfred Ndidi are the preferred defensive midfielders.

Providing an injury update, Rohr said : ''Now our offensive department is on a good level, we had some players who were injured, who did not have so many matches to play, who were fasting, who were sick.

''The preparation was not easy but now it is the first time yesterday in the training session that we had 23 players participating.

''Everybody is fit now so it will be very difficult for me to select the team.''

Mikel earned his 89th Nigeria cap in the 2-0 loss to Madagascar on June 30 and made way for Alex Iwobi 14 minutes into the second half.
Mikel will be very useful in a game like this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:45pm On Jul 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
i made reference to Brazilian players plying their trade in the chinese super league not Brazilian clubs. rohr is crappy but qualified a team who failed to make it to the afcon back to back with a game spared and also qualified the team from a group that comprised top african teams such as zambia,algeria and cameroon enroute to the world cup without losing a single game just in the space of 3 years.

he is crappy and turned our team to one of the most feared team in africa once again which is what we were known of in african football previously. what was our rating in world football and africa when rohr took charge of the team compared to now?

when we were grouped against against cameroon,algeria,zambia during the world cup qualifiers did you ever believed that the team will qualify easily like the did considering the foes they faced during the qualifiers?

the problem we have as Nigerians is that we are way too ambitious and lack patience without putting into consideration that in the game of football it takes time to build a decent team. to me i agree rohr is not the best but he has so far done enough to build a decent team from scratch and as well built a solid foundation for any other coach who will take over when he vacates his position.

The world cup qualifying group of death was not the first time we found ourselves in such group. Keshi had achieved more with way less talented group of players than Rohr. Rohr has not won anything yet. And ,yes he is tactically deficient. Rohr has been Super Eagles for over 3yrs yet we unable to play three good passes....its not impatient...its FED UP! There is no reason why we should not be playing beautiful football!

And, no! The problem with Nigeria is not impatience it's people like you who are dormant and comfortable with anything you are given. Rohr has not done anything spectacular....just few flashes here and there.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:50pm On Jul 09, 2019
komekn:

You jumped in without understanding the context and to whom my response was directed too.

Doesnt really matter , we all know your agenda.....Awaziem is crap and Aina is good....Tamy Abraham is good and Kelechi is crap.....Tomori is the best thing since creation of championship....lol.

Even before you say a word we know your thoughts...lmao

A

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:52pm On Jul 09, 2019
At least we are not scared to predict. Just as I’m ever willing to say “I told u so”. But I have never abused that privilege.

Prior to the start of AFCON, I tipped Nigeria to make it to the SF.
Algeria is also still on course grin
TheSuperNerd:

When I was in Joebie's room, I saw this exact fixture prediction map. He tipped Cameroun to knock Nigeria out. Tips Algeria to knock out Egypt and so on....

So this is definitely Joebie's grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6517) (6518) (6519) (6520) (6521) (6522) (6523) ... (16337) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Katcall, joelsteron, mank1234(m), Goke7, cc12(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.