Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,813 members, 7,824,380 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6694) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11726875 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6691) (6692) (6693) (6694) (6695) (6696) (6697) ... (16169) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 6:35am On Jul 23, 2019
BascoVanVeli:
Gather here if you were not an infant the last time your country won an AFCON grin

Gather Here if you your country have made it past the round of 16 of the FIFA world cup

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 7:28am On Jul 23, 2019
komekn:

Are you saying that our team is the most talented in the AFCON ❓ ❓
morocco bros
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 7:31am On Jul 23, 2019
gustav25:

Are you still not Weeping now ?
Atleast we carry something, wetin ur ppl carry charlie?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Anegbettedude: 7:53am On Jul 23, 2019
CaptainStephen i saw you this morning again tongue tongue grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:53am On Jul 23, 2019
gustav25:

Gather Here if you your country have made it past the round of 16 of the FIFA world cup

grin one penalty to save mankind. Who would you rather take it? Like for Ighalo, share for Gyan grin

17 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:59am On Jul 23, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

grin one penalty to save mankind. Who would you rather take it? Like for Ighalo, share for Gyan grin

PenalGhalo of course. I cant come and go and die bkus of heart attack grin

But this guy u wicked oo

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:00am On Jul 23, 2019
Joebie:
Not qualifying for AFCON is abnormal for us. That’s not going to change our standards. We are Nigeria. A country of hundreds of million football fanatics. We should be the Brazil of Africa going by the money and interest we have put in the game for decades now. We must not lower our standards. Me, I’m not celebrating the bronze, all though anything short of a top 4 finish wold have been disappointing. I knew what Rohr could achieve with the talents at his disposal. He didn’t disappoint me, neither did he surprise me.

We should be the Brazil of Africa? Why? Because of our out of control population explosion? Our population domination in Africa doesn't bestow football development rights.

The fine line between confidence and arrogance has been crisscrossed here too many times for my liking and I am a full Nigerian. Imagine then how that comes across to a neutral and then a rival.

Why do we rate ourselves so highly it has now become ridiculous?

How many Nigerian players have ever won the African player of the year award and when was the last time a Nigerian won it?

Of the 15 times we have played in AFCON semifinals we have lost 8, that is more than half!!

Of the 7 times we have played in AFCON finals was have lost 4, again that is more than half!

Can anyone who isn't deluded claim we had the best squad at this last AFCON bar none? At best we had one of the best squads and the results achieved mirror that fact.

We failed to qualify for 3 of the last 5 AFCONs (we have 40% attendance at the competition since the turn of the decade). There are multiple reasons for this, including player quality and coaching. Regardless of NFF infighting we should be participating without fail, we should be Brazil of Africa remember?

I agree we are not all fans of Rohr's methods. I have been appalled at times with the way he sets up his teams. Examples such as at Wembley in the first half and his selections against Seychelles in a dead rubber game. BUT....

...IF he leaves today either by sacking or resignation he IMO can leave with his head held high and I will agree he played a role in setting us up for future success. How we manage what he leaves behind will determine if we harness the potential he has laid down.

So far, he has done well. However I think he will be carrying out an inquest on if he genuinely thinks he can take the team higher than where it is now. If he thinks not, he will resign. This I am sure of.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:08am On Jul 23, 2019
Youthfulness VS Experience? Remember this argument?

Oya let's take some break from the local scene. Let's talk world football.

If these two teams were to face each other, WHO WILL WIN?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:10am On Jul 23, 2019
ChrisKels:

Fabrice Do marcolino played 99matches for Angers scoring 20goals a season before

Moise Apanga played 83matches for Brest from 2009-2012 scoring 5 goals as a DMF.

Ligue 1: 1979–80, 1981–88, 1989–91, 2010–
13, 2019— present

Levy Madinda helped Celta return to the Laliga in 2012

Loyd Palun played over 25 matches for Nice in the ligue1 prior the Afcon

The so called average Aubameyang scored 35goals in 73matches, in the ligue1 for Ettienne 2011-13,

In the 2011/12 season, Le Mans had their best run and Ovono featured in more than 30 games and they narrowly missed out on promotion to the ligue1. The following season he joined Soachux.

Remember this is about Tanzania, so tell me, besides Samatta, who else can u mention in the Tanzanian team with a resume as good as what that Gabonese squad of 2012 boasted of?

Stop grasping for straw. Gabon players were average prior to the AFCON.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 8:15am On Jul 23, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

hahaha.... Ighalo the immobile player that Depression wants to finish ? Gyan all day

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:18am On Jul 23, 2019
forgiveness:

Stop grasping for straw. Gabon players were average prior to the AFCON.

U are only making noise. I just proved they were not poor contrary to what u and ur goons wanted to force down our throat. They had a better squad than Tunisia and Morroco of 2012. And they were far better than the Tanzania and Madagascar of today. QED

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 8:18am On Jul 23, 2019
Lucque:

Atleast we carry something, wetin ur ppl carry charlie?

We didn't brag till the heavens how other teams are bang shite .... Every morning, I thank God for Mahrez .... He singlehandedly brought massive tears, hypertension, stroke and tranquility to lousy Rugaria offline and online

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 8:44am On Jul 23, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Savage!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:47am On Jul 23, 2019
gustav25:
hahaha.... Ighalo the immobile player that Depression wants to finish ? Gyan all day

grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDK-HEbIZs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 8:50am On Jul 23, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDK-HEbIZs

Abeg no add to d guy depression. Suarez really do dem strong tin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 8:55am On Jul 23, 2019

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:57am On Jul 23, 2019
andrew444:

Amunike would have gotten us the afcon trophy That's what he beleive

If you take your time to read Odegbami's article, you will enlighten your self to stop spreading false notions due to your lack of comprehending a point.

I have taken time to explain that our goal should not be small gains but build a consistent top performing National team that will last for a long time.

I want us playing in a brave, offensive and possessive fashion. Dominating our opponents in most games and creating loads of chances for our forwards.

To achieve this will require thorough scouting to produce sound offensive and possessive talents from both home and abroad. It will require continuous building to find better players in every role and promote competition within the team.

Rohr does not stand for this and that is why I feel he should not continue. He can not lead us down that path.

I also believe Amunike's philosophy offers this and with support and time he can build that consistent team.

The title comes after but the brave play comes first.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 8:57am On Jul 23, 2019
peterd53:

Abeg no add to d guy depression. Suarez really do dem strong tin grin grin

Everything sounds better with titanic soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPloPt16k2g

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:05am On Jul 23, 2019
Our approach as Nigerians in football development has not been good enough. But the context here has to do with the passion and the focus our Government gives to football to the detriment of other sports for many years now. Add to that you have a population who is very passionate about football. And that Many kids are crazy about football growing up. Have we been scouting well, or doing the right thing when it comes to grassroots development? That’s another matter. But why make a big deal over a bronze medal finish? Look at our history in the AFCON. If we employ foreign coiners just to give us bronze at AFCON, it’s a stupid target. It’s something our Indigenous coaches can achieve easily. Getting to the semi final has been normal to us. Failing to qualify for two AFCONs was due to Adminiatrative issues, but many here are making it seem Rohr brought us from darkness into light and are celebrating like we are Ghanaians that just won the AFCON after so many years.

“Use your HQ”
wayodude:

We should be the Brazil of Africa? Why? Because of our out of control population explosion? Our population domination in Africa doesn't bestow football development rights.

The fine line between confidence and arrogance has been crisscrossed here too many times for my last liking and I am a full Nigerian. Imagine then how that comes across to a neutral and then a rival.

Why do we rate ourselves so highly it has now become ridiculous?

How many Nigerian players have ever won the African player of the year award and when was the last time a Nigerian won it?

Of the 15 times we have played in AFCON semifinals we have lost 8, that is more than half!!

Of the 7 times we have played in AFCON finals was have lost 4, again that is more than half!

Can anyone who isn't deluded claim we had the best squad at this last AFCON bar none? At best we had one of the best squads and the results achieved mirror that fact.

We failed to qualify for 3 of the last 5 AFCONs (we have 40% attendance at the competition since the turn of the decade). There are multiple reasons for this, including player quality and coaching. Regardless of NFF infighting we should be participating without fail, we should be Brazil of Africa remember?

I agree we are not all fans of Rohr's methods. I have been appalled at times with the way he sets up his teams. Examples such as at Wembley in the first half and his selections against Seychelles in a dead rubber game. BUT....

...IF he leaves today either by sacking or resignation he IMO can leave with his head held high and I will agree he played a role in setting us up for future success. How we manage what he leaves behind will determine if we harness the potential he has laid down.

So far, he has done well. However I think he will be carrying out an inquest on I'd he genuinely thinks he can take the team higher than where it is now. If he thinks not, he will resign. This I am sure of.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:17am On Jul 23, 2019
Now that NFF’s target of bronze has been achieved, what’s our next target? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:24am On Jul 23, 2019
andrew444:

lol I no say you go talk

Anyway onomah has don well in the championship ,I called him a championship standard because he is yet to get a loan in an Epl club

Ryan sessegnon best English left back ?

Bros calm down jare

Yes am sure Fulham will be back in the Epl

Check my past comments over two years ago when l first watched him play LIVE as a left back at 16 years old against Blackburn in the Championship.

How many English Left Fulback have had bids of over £30 million rejected.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 9:25am On Jul 23, 2019
Joebie:
Our approach as Nigerians in football development has not been good enough. But the context here has to do with the passion and the focus our Government gives to football to the detriment of other sports for many years now. Add to that you have a population who is very passionate about football. And that Many kids are crazy about football growing up. Have we been scouting well, or doing the right thing when it comes to grassroots development? That’s another matter. But why make a big deal over a bronze medal finish? Look at our history in the AFCON. If we employ foreign coiners just to give us bronze at AFCON, it’s a stupid target. It’s something our Indigenous coaches can achieve easily. Getting to the semi final has been normal to us. Failing to qualify for two AFCONs was due to Adminiatrative issues, but many here are making it seem Rohr brought us from darkness into light and are celebrating like we are Ghanaians that just won the AFCON after so many years.

“Use your HQ”

what should the target have been?

You do realise that our population are not the craziest about football in Africa right?

You do realise that we missed out on 3 of the last 5 AFCONs with local coaches at the helm (Eguavon, Sisasia, Keshi, Oliseh/Siasia)

You do realise that citing 'admin issues' as the reason we failed to qualify from groups comprising teams such as SA, Sudan and Congo is just making excuses right?

Granted we ought not to celebrate bronze medals at AFCON, we already had 7 of them going into this competition BUT I maintain that winning a bronze is commendable. There are at least 6 teams at our level on the continent and anyone could have won with a bit of luck.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:29am On Jul 23, 2019
gustav25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzrlxXEW7Y0

Asamoah Gyan every time Ghana has a penalty grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:32am On Jul 23, 2019
andrew444:

lol I no say you go talk

Anyway onomah has don well in the championship ,I called him a championship standard because he is yet to get a loan in an Epl club

Ryan sessegnon best English left back ?

Bros calm down jare

Yes am sure Fulham will be back in the Epl

You should understand football politics very few EPL clubs will loan thier up and coming young prospective players to thier rival EPL clubs.

It's always been like that apart from maybe Chelsea they may sometimes but rarely.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:38am On Jul 23, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

If you take your time to read Odegbami's article, you will enlighten your self to stop spreading false notions due to your lack of comprehending a point.

I have taken time to explain that our goal should not be small gains but build a consistent top performing National team that will last for a long time.

I want us playing in a brave, offensive and possessive fashion. Dominating our opponents in most games and creating loads of chances for our forwards.

To achieve this will require thorough scouting to produce sound offensive and possessive talents from both home and abroad. It will require continuous building to find better players in every role and promote competition within the team.

Rohr does not stand for this and that is why I feel he should not continue. He can not lead us down that path.

I also believe Amunike's philosophy offers this and with support and time he can build that consistent team.

The title comes after but the brave play comes first.

Agreed in principle.

However, that cancer that bedevils everything in Nigeria affects football a lot.

Then the problem of arrangement and favoritism and players having to sign with the coaches preferred agent, etc.

Until we deal with corruption these matters persist.

Why do you think Rohr got the job a seasoned manager in Africa who understands how we do our things and will give to Ceasar what Ceasar demands, with such a huge salary. Merit alone
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 9:39am On Jul 23, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Asamoah Gyan every time Ghana has a penalty grin

Ighalo when offered a gaping net

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 9:41am On Jul 23, 2019
Joebie:
Now that NFF’s target of bronze has been achieved, what’s our next target? grin
Group stage exit

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:56am On Jul 23, 2019
gustav25:
Gyan the same person that balloons the ball go Jupiter when Ghana were given that famous decisive penalty at the WC vs Uruguay.
Oops!! you must probably be a toddler then. sorry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:57am On Jul 23, 2019
AIG07:
Youthfulness VS Experience? Remember this argument?

Oya let's take some break from the local scene. Let's talk world football.

If these two teams were to face each other, WHO WILL WIN?
The old team will win it based on this lineup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 9:57am On Jul 23, 2019
Taliban:

All work na work I repeat. Thank God CosCharis na mecho. Respect all professions and don't act like an elitist. A mechanic should be able to view this thread and not feel like a second class citizen.

Thank you Taliban! People like us will be crying by now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 9:59am On Jul 23, 2019
mostob:
Gyan the same person that balloons the ball go Jupiter when Ghana were given that famous decisive penalty at the WC vs Uruguay.
Oops!! you must probably be a toddler then. sorry

See who's talking.... You have a problem with the letter M . From Marcus the Pig, Marcos Rojo to Mahrez , you have suffered untold heartaches and Cifia Pains

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:07am On Jul 23, 2019
ChrisKels:

Fabrice Do marcolino played 99matches for Angers scoring 20goals a season before

Moise Apanga played 83matches for Brest from 2009-2012 scoring 5 goals as a DMF.

Ligue 1: 1979–80, 1981–88, 1989–91, 2010–
13, 2019— present

Levy Madinda helped Celta return to the Laliga in 2012

Loyd Palun played over 25 matches for Nice in the ligue1 prior the Afcon

The so called average Aubameyang scored 35goals in 73matches, in the ligue1 for Ettienne 2011-13,

In the 2011/12 season, Le Mans had their best run and Ovono featured in more than 30 games and they narrowly missed out on promotion to the ligue1. The following season he joined Soachux.

Remember this is about Tanzania, so tell me, besides Samatta, who else can u mention in the Tanzanian team with a resume as good as what that Gabonese squad of 2012 boasted of?

Fabrice Do marcolino never scored 20 goals in a season in his whole entire life. How did he score 20 goals a season before?

Infact, he didn't play a single match in lowly Ligue 2 the season before AFCON and he only managed to score 1 goal in 14 matches in obscure Ligue 2 prior to the AFCON. The other 6 goals were scored after the AFCON.

Moise Apanga only played in the Ligue 1 in the previous season but he never played a single match in the season prior to the AFCON due to injury. Besides, he was on the bench for games during the AFCON.

Levy Madinda played only two matches for Celta Vigo which happened to be his first matches in his professional career. In fact, he only played one match prior to the AFCON.

Do you me to continue to expose your false claims?

ChrisKels:

U are only making noise. I just proved they were not poor contrary to what u and ur goons wanted to force down our throat. They had a better squad than Tunisia and Morroco of 2012. And they were far better than the Tanzania and Madagascar of today. QED

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6691) (6692) (6693) (6694) (6695) (6696) (6697) ... (16169) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Amedino99(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.