Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7743) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11659307 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7740) (7741) (7742) (7743) (7744) (7745) (7746) ... (16149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
@ Charlesemeka85, It's good to know about Mr Tunde Adelakun and the Nff,'s activities in relation to those oversea groomed Nigerian footballers

And particularly of interest is the admission that only the Players that qualifies for the areas requiring reinforcement are on to their radar rather than turning NIGERIA into a dumping ground for all comers in the name of foreign breed irrespective of quality cum excellence

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:16pm On Nov 21, 2019
Francis Uzoho - one of the best goalkeepers in Africa

This gotta be a joke!

O pari

Kbs468:
Wilfried Zaha. Nigeria’s Ighalo, Iwobi, Ndidi and Uzoho shortlisted for 2019 Caf best XI

Gbenga Adewoye

15:25 21/11/2019

AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS QUALIFICATION
NIGERIA AFRICAN ALL STARS

The Nigerian quartet could be rewarded for their impressive displays this year, having been nominated for the continent’s best XI

Former Nigeria international Odion Ighalo, Alex Iwobi, Wilfred Ndidi and Francis Uzoho have been shortlisted for the 2019 Caf best XI.

Shanghai Greenland Shenhua striker Ighalo delivered impressive showings at this year’s
Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt .

The former Watford forward scored five goals in the competition to win the Golden Boot award and helped the Super Eagles clinch their eighth bronze medal before his retirement from international duty.

Leicester City combative midfielder, Ndidi has been a consistent performer for both club and country, finishing as the 2018-19 Premier League top tackler.

Everton midfielder Alex Iwobi and AC Omonia goalkeeper Uzoho also played key roles for the Super Eagles in Egypt and will hope to make the final team.

The Caf best XI will be announced in a ceremony on January 7, 2020.

Caf best XI

Goalkeepers: Moez Ben Cherifia, Yassine Bonnou, Mohamed El Shenaway, Sylvain Gbohouo, Rais M'bolhi, Edouard Mendy, Richard Ofori, Andre Onana, Denis Onyango, Francis Uzoho

Defenders: Youcef Atal, Serge Aurier, Mehdi Benatia, Ahmed El-Mohammadi, Lamine Gassama, Faouzi Ghoulam, Achraf Hakimi, Ahmed Hegazi, Kalidou Koulibaly, Christian Luyindama, Issa Mandi, Joel Matip, Noussair Mazraoui, Yassine Meriah, Youssouf Sabaly.

Midfielders: Andre-Frank Anguissa, Ismael Bennacer, Sofiane Feghouli, Idrissa Gueye, Tarek Hamed, Alex Iwobi, Wahbi Khazri, Naby Keita, Franck Kessie, Wilfried Ndidi, Riyad Mahrez, Thomas Partey, Mubarak Wakaso, Victor Wanyama, Hakim Ziyech.

Forwards: Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, Jordan Ayew, Anis Badri, Cedric Bakambu, Youcef Belaili, Baghdad Bounedjah, Odion Ighalo, Sadio Mane, Moussa Marega, Mbaye Niang, Nicolas Pepe, Mohamed Salah, Islam Slimani, Percy Tau,

goal com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
charlesemeka85:

Technical Assistant to Super Eagles Head Coach and Head of Scouting, Mr. Tunde Adelakun has disclosed that Nigeria has well over 460 players of Nigerian descent abroad, but it requires skill and tactics to make them switch allegiance, AOIFootball.com reports.

Adelakun, who made clarifications on the progress made in the area of scouting exclusively to AOIFootball.com, said they have made appreciable progress locating Nigerian talents both abroad and locally and recruiting them for the national team.

“We have made appreciable progress in scouting for players. We have a database of over 460 active Nigerians playing in various leagues abroad and the exploits of none of them goes unnoticed every week because we have a network of scouts who give us weekly updates.

“We also rely on our coaches based in Nigeria to look at our domestic league and report on players that might merit a national team call-up. We also now have a huge glut of diaspora Nigerians in various countries that we are tracking and working on.

“Our scouting project has been largely successful over the past three years since we started,” Adelakun said excitedly.

He, however, added that the task hasn’t been easy because going after players of Nigerian descent requires some level of professional courtesy and tactics or everything would go down south.

“It has not been easy. Obviously, talented players born and raised in other countries would be on the radar of their habitat association from youth level. After all, they must have grown up in their system. So, convincing them is a task that has always required tact. We can’t go in all guns blazing and claiming entitlement to them.

“We are not highhanded in our approach but rather rely on our strategies and powers to convince them to come and belong to the Nigerian project that we are building.

“We also show them good examples will be beneficial to us and that will enhance their careers in the long run. We have done well so far, as many of those we have convinced over time have indeed added strength and value to our national team,” Adelakun said further.

Asked about more quality additions like Ebere Eze, especially Chuba Akpom who in September told the press he’s now eligible to play for Nigeria, Adelakun said he and his team would follow the necessary protocol and carry out their investigations.

“We now have four months to work and will continue to search for players who are eligible. We, however, need to be careful and strategic and not just go for any player that is available and declares himself willing and ready.

“We have to be sure he has the skill in the area we need reinforcements. We have many players that we are looking at and we are working assiduously to make the best happen. We have a good track record so far and this encourages more youngsters to want to join this beautiful project,” Adelakun concluded

Chiba akpom isn't SE material
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
ChrisKels:

But u were the one who told us he has taken the league by storm with his consistent top quality performance laced with superb end product. U said he has thrived where Sadiq failed grin

How many more lies have u told ur gullible followers? Just do the honorable thing, apologize for the lies Bkus u getting reputed for telling nothing but lies in here

**Special thanks to Koboko99 and Maidaboi for the perfect meme below..**

Chris, What do you expect from..... grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 8:16pm On Nov 21, 2019
Icon79:
Francis Uzoho - one of the best goalkeepers in Africa

This gotta be a joke!

O pari

Certainly not a joke Brother.

Football is not all about featuring regularly but most definitely all about how impactful a player is on the field of play and that is one thing with UZOHO as against AKPEYI that has featured regularly that UZOHO.

A similar situation analytically applies to ONUACHU and some others

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
ChrisKels:

But u were the one who told us he has taken the league by storm with his consistent top quality performance laced with superb end product. U said he has thrived where Sadiq failed grin

How many more lies have u told ur gullible followers? Just do the honorable thing, apologize for the lies Bkus u getting reputed for telling nothing but lies in here

Eéeeeeee be like say you get PROBLEM.

First of all please tell me one LIE with regards to this matter.

An opinion is not a lie. Seyi Ojo has done very well. It's just that In recent games he has dropped off somewhat . Or of you like lacks some consistency.

Such are the high standards we expect of him.

You can accuse me of being very harsh but telling LIES that's a big NO NO.

If anything there is selective hypocrisy and double standard across the thread by many like you. You didn't celebrate his achievements you have been very SILENT.

His stats for a left winger are actually quite impressive. 5 goals and 5 assists from 23 games as some say here " No be beans "

Now examine what you have said.

And l ask you to tell me one winger of Nigerian origin that has comprehensively better stats than him please.

Finally, what on earth are you insinuating that Sadiq Umar was exceptional at Rangers ❓ Because that's a delusional big LIE. He was exceptionally POOR.

Back to you where are the LIES.

It seems like bull that sees red as soon as you see my name you CHARGE with reckless stupendous abandon.

I have proven you to be BLATANT SHAMELESS LIAR already. Obviously you have NO SHAME.

If not you would remain silent and be sought very wrongly to be wise.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:30pm On Nov 21, 2019
darkelf:

Chiba akpom isn't SE material

Nice guy but not good enough for the SE, said that donkeys ago
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:38pm On Nov 21, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Lille management have concerns about Tottenham's appointment of Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho is close to Lille management and there is talk of sports director Luis Campos moving to the Londoners to join the Portuguese.

And Le 10 Sport says Mourinho could well raid LOSC in 2020 to boost the squad he's inherited.

Victor Osimhen, Jonathan Ikoné, Mike Maignan and Boubakary Soumaré could all come under consideration at Spurs Lodge.

Mourinho was a regular at Lille last season and has spoken kindly of LOSC's players while working as a pundit

Read more at https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/lille-fear-raid-from-mourinho-s-spurs-for-star-quartet-4305130#xg1dBTtw8DMZu7zS.99

It does not matter Mourinho reputation precedes him. Daniel Levy is in charge of transfers.

He will have to use existing players and youth players on the verge of the first team.

Of course rumours will fly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
Throwback Thursday....Rohr and Agali

Date is 2 Oct 2004. Coach is Gernot Rohr. MotM is Victor Agali. Team is OGC Nice.

Nigeria's Victor Agali scored three times within 10 minutes to inspire Rohr's Nice to fight back from three goals down and finally beat Ligue 1 leaders Monaco 4-3 in the principality.

Link below:
https://twitter.com/oluwashina/status/1197581218906284032?s=19

Youtube link: (In the video @ 3:14, you will see a young and Happy Gernot Rohr all smiles in a quick interview).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxQM-J5dUQ

Courtesy: @AfricaClassic via @Oluwashina (Oluwashina Okeleji).

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
Keep your words Ma'am. We never see you here since you said this. And I sight you at the door peeping in now.... grin

Cc Kbs468... See the lady you engaged that day.

Euniceadetun:
lol it's my quest in searching for a link that brought me here sir. I think I will remain a regular as I am staunch supporter of Nigeria football. My club is super eagles angry I hope to share more scintillating moments with you all my lovely eagles supporters.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
Honestly e don tey wey Rohr don dey work with Naija players. Lol... And I remember that game in 2004. The Agali hattrick in France. Was still in Junior Secondary school.

But I never knew the coach of Agali back then will be coaching our darling Super Eagles now. Truth is, I never bothered knowing his name in 2004. I never heard of Rohr back then. Lol

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Throwback Thursday....Rohr and Agali

Date is 2 Oct 2004. Coach is Gernot Rohr. MotM is Victor Agali. Team is OGC Nice.

Nigeria's Victor Agali scored three times within 10 minutes to inspire Rohr's Nice to fight back from three goals down and finally beat Ligue 1 leaders Monaco 4-3 in the principality.

Link below:
https://twitter.com/oluwashina/status/1197581218906284032?s=19

Youtube link: (In the video, you will a young and Happy Gernot Rohr all smiles in a quick interview).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxQM-J5dUQ

Courtesy: @AfricaClassic via @Oluwashina (Oluwashina Okeleji).

Wow. No wonder they have a good working relationship till today...as per Scout Agali

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:04pm On Nov 21, 2019
South Africa Carpentry list loading........ grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
darkelf:
South Africa Carpentry list loading........ grin grin

Ring the bells for this.... grin This is gonna be fun.... Lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
Speaking to reporters at Thursday's pre-match press conference, Lille captain Jose Fonte has rued the absence of Victor Osimhen for Friday night's Ligue 1 match against Paris Saint-Germain.

However, the former Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham defender stressed that there are other good players in the squad ready to fill the void left by Osimhen's one-match suspension.

After receiving three yellow cards in his previous ten appearances in Ligue 1, the Nigeria national-teamer earned an automatic one-match ban.

Osimhen already has 1,053 minutes under his belt in the Ligue 1 so far this season, with seven goals to his name, four more than the second highest goalscorer for Les Dogues, Loic Remy.

''Victor (Osimhen) is an important player, he will not be here tomorrow, he will be suspended, that's how it is, we have a very good team, with solutions, other players need to seize this opportunity,'' Fonte said.

Osimhen will be free to play for Lille when they take on Dijon on Saturday, November 30.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
TheSuperNerd:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:07pm On Nov 21, 2019
No doubt he will be strongly missed. Thiago Silva and Marquinhos will be thanking God for his absence especially after jamming him in the Nigeria-Brazil friendly and seeing he is no moi moi forward. Lol

charlesemeka85:
Speaking to reporters at Thursday's pre-match press conference, Lille captain Jose Fonte has rued the absence of Victor Osimhen for Friday night's Ligue 1 match against Paris Saint-Germain.

However, the former Southampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham defender stressed that there are other good players in the squad ready to fill the void left by Osimhen's one-match suspension.

After receiving three yellow cards in his previous ten appearances in Ligue 1, the Nigeria national-teamer earned an automatic one-match ban.

Osimhen already has 1,053 minutes under his belt in the Ligue 1 so far this season, with seven goals to his name, four more than the second highest goalscorer for Les Dogues, Loic Remy.

''Victor (Osimhen) is an important player, he will not be here tomorrow, he will be suspended, that's how it is, we have a very good team, with solutions, other players need to seize this opportunity,'' Fonte said.

Osimhen will be free to play for Lille when they take on Dijon on Saturday, November 30.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Euniceadetun(f): 9:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Keep your words Ma'am. We never see you here since you said this. And I sight you at the door peeping in now.... grin

Nerdy Nerdy. Since the U23 failed to qualify, I haven't been myself. I was really pained and didn't bother coming online again. Just decided to peep today cry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
Powerful and pacey with a leap like a salmon and the speed of a springbok, there’s more than a touch of Didier Drogba about Victor Osimhen.

“I’m sure he’s going to be a phenomenon,” the Nigerian’s former Charleroi teammate Nicolas Penneteau told Voix du Nord at the start of the season. “I’d compare him to Didier Drogba. He has the same profile. He can do everything and he’s phenomenally powerful.”

But while Drogba waited until his mid-20s before he exploded onto the scene in the French top flight with Marseille, 20-year-old Osimhen is a little further ahead of schedule.

With nine goals to his name already since signing for Lille in the summer, the jet-heeled striker looks well placed to follow in the footsteps of Eden Hazard and Nicolas Pepe by becoming a superstar at the Stade Geoffroy Guichard.

And Lille, as they so often do, have their esteemed sporting director Luis Campos to thank for unearthing another diamond in the rough.

“I called (the Lille CEO) every night saying, 'Please give me this player, he is amazing. In two years he will be one of the best in Europe',” Campos says, in quotes reported by Sky, while reminiscing about the moment when he first saw Osimhen in action.

Lille's Victor Osimhen celebrates after scoring goal during the Ligue 1 match between Lille OSC and AS Saint-Etienne at Stade Pierre Mauroy on August 28, 2019 in Lille, France.

So with Campos tipped to follow Jose Mourinho to Tottenham and form a new-look dream team in North London, via ESPN, it would be little surprise to see Osimhen become the first signing of an exciting new era at Spurs with the January transfer window looming large. The one-time Wolfsburg kid already told Soccernet that he is welcoming interest from across the channel.

And if Osimhen really is the ‘new Drogba’, it goes without saying that he’d be a number nine almost tailor-made for Mourinho. After all, the two-time Champions League winner didn’t do too badly with the original version during his legendary first spell at Chelsea.

And with Harry Kane still short of real competition in attack, Osimhen could be the signing Tottenham have been crying out for for years.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
Euniceadetun:
Nerdy Nerdy. Since the U23 failed to qualify, I haven't been myself. I was really pained and didn't bother coming online again. Just decided to peep today cry

Na wa ooo... This your passion must be stronger than mine. Me and others here wey don move on tey tey. Oya, be sad no more... Didn't you see the Lesotho vs Nigeria game? Couldn't that cheer you up a bit?

Oya view the highlights here below to cheer up a bit aiit... wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPUTm4oVsuo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
Jose Mourinho was announced as Mauricio Pochettino’s replacement at Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday, with Spurs finally opting to pull the plug on the Argentine coach’s tenure.

Mourinho has a litany of success stories behind him, but he’s also under pressure, having failed in his last job—at Manchester United.

Historically, the Portuguese coach has invested heavily to rebuild squads he’s inherited, and while Spurs are traditionally parsimonious, he will surely have received guarantees that he’ll have money to spend in the transfer windows to come.

Here are five African stars who could represent ideal additions for the Lilywhites as they look to turn their fortunes around and climb back up the table under Mourinho.

Wilfred Ndidi
A commanding central midfielder would be a great addition for Spurs, with this area of the team having been something of a problem for the club since Mousa Dembele’s decline and subsequent sale.

Eric Dier isn’t the player he was, while Tanguy Ndombele hasn’t yet proved that he can cut it in the Premier League. Ndidi, by contrast, adapted seamlessly to life in England after signing for Leicester City, and has proved himself to be one of the division’s top three defensive midfielders over recent seasons.

However, would the Foxes agree to sell one of their prized assets to one of their Champions League rivals?

Kalidou Koulibaly
Once an area of strength, centre-back has become an area of concern for Spurs in 2019, with Jan Vertonghen’s levels dropping and Toby Alderweireld seemingly heading for the exit door.

Koulibaly, now 28, would be an ideal addition to sure up the heart of the defence, while his signing would also represent a statement considering the various Premier League heavyweights who have been linked with him over the years.

Mourinho wanted to take the Senegal international to Old Trafford, may he now finally get his man?

Youcef Atal
Right-back is a major area of concern for Spurs; Kieran Trippier was sold and not replaced, while Serge Aurier hasn’t stepped up.

OGC Nice’s Africa Cup of Nations winner Atal could be an ideal long-term replacement.

He’s one of Ligue 1’s best dribblers, and he’s no slouch defensively either, reading the game well, intercepting the play, and launching attacks for both club and country.

The wideman might take time to adapt to life in the Premier League, but could blossom into one of the world’s finest in his position.

Victor Osimhen
Reports in France earlier this week suggested that Mourinho also believes Lille’s Osimhen might represent an ideal signing for Tottenham considering his fine early form.

The striker has excelled since arriving in Northern France, netting seven already in the top flight, and the comparisons with Didier Drogba may well appeal to the Portuguese coach, who had such a key role in the Ivorian’s career.

However, with Harry Kane still in situ in North London, would a move to White Hart Lane, and a role as the England striker’s back-up, appeal to the wonderkid?

Hakim Ziyech
With Christian Eriksen seemingly bound for the exit door at Tottenham sooner rather than later, extra talent in the final third may well be required, particularly with Giovanni Lo Celso having so far failed to thrive in London.

One option could be Ziyech, who has surely outgrown the Eredivisie, and gave Spurs an up-close glimpse of his quality during the Champions League semi-final between the two clubs last term.

He’s scored 21 goals and contributed 21 assists across the last season and a half in the Dutch top flight—winning the title in the process—and his hunger, mobility and work rate would help him adapt to Spurs’ own ethos.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Yes it is.

Your contributions are equally valuable to ensure that the field of soccer carpentry honors those to whom honor is due grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Yes ooo. Runaway Euniceadetun.

You shouldn't be blamed though for you seemed to be the shy-type pretty Angel going by the fact that you could only manage just 3 post in an incredible 9 months!

The only motivation however is that all posts from you are related to your Love and passion for your darling Football Club-The Super Eagles of NIGERIA grin grin grin

Come on, Not withstanding anything, just continue to keep us company okay.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
The Ibrox club pulled a shocking transfer coup last summer when Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard convinced Joe Aribo to shun all other juicy offers and join him in Scotland. To the surprise and even chagrin of others, the former Charlton Athletic star obliged and has fortunately seen that decision birth some memorable moments for both parties, particularly for Aribo who is enjoying a whirlwind end to a fantastic 2019.

The 23-year-old, beyond what any analyst could have predicted, has found himself at the cusp of stardom and his rapidly rising reputation means he will soon outgrow the limited confines of the Ibrox and indeed the Scottish Premier League.

Therefore, just a few months after Aribo became a Ger, it is pertinent to ask the million-dollar question: How much longer can Rangers and Steven Gerrard tempt Joe Aribo to stay in Scotland?

Switching to Scotland in itself was an unpopular move. Aribo turned down interest from several clubs in the Championship and Premier League – as well as the offer of a new deal from Charlton – to link up with Steven Gerrard’s Gers.

Lee Bowyer, former Newcastle and Leeds midfielder and his boss at Charlton, was so stunned to find out that Aribo, one of League One’s finest talents last term, had quit the Valley for the Ibrox that he famously lashed out at the youngster saying:

“If he goes to Rangers that is not the right place for him to go for his football career.

“You have got Rangers and Celtic who are massive clubs, I get that. And I get that Steven Gerrard was a great player, so that’s an attraction. Those two things are the attraction – but not everything else.”

Fortunately, things have looked up for the Camberwell-born midfielder ever since. In an incredible 5 months that is the stuff of dreams, Joe Aribo has made his Europa League debut and scored a couple of Europa League goals; he has made his international bow for three-time African champions Nigeria and scored against 5-time World champions Brazil while holding his own admirably in a midfield choked by Real Madrid’s Casemiro and Bayern Munich’s Coutinho. Surely, the lad knows how to kick a ball around.

Within the last eight days, the midfielder, who has even been labelled by some as the ‘new Jay Jay Okocha’, has been immaculate in possession and graceful off it, barely putting a foot wrong, as Nigeria floored Benin Republic in Uyo before smashing Lesotho in Maseru to highlight what he’ll likely be adding to the Super Eagles for years to come.

Yet, while his progress is undeniable and his international future settled, Lee Bowyer’s words continue to snap at Aribo’s heels: is the Nigeria international where he ought to be club-wise for his huge potential to be fulfilled and to reach the highest height he can attain in Europe?

Make no mistake, Rangers are a huge club and have played a big part in getting Aribo further than Charlton would have. What more, under the surprisingly astute management of Reds legend Steven Gerrard, the Gers are providing a terrific challenge to Celtic’s title ambitions.

However, with all due respect to the Gers fans, Joe Aribo is gradually becoming a fish too big for Rangers to fry. Some of them know it. Gerrard knows it as well. That was why the 2005 Champions League winner said of Aribo:

“He can go as far as he wants. I hope he stays alongside me for many years, but he’s got the world at his feet.”

Though Aribo has committed to the Ibrox till 2023, even Gerrard must know that the Super Eagles star won’t stick in Scotland for ‘many years’ no matter how huge the attraction of the Old Firms is.

A Scotland journalist told Soccernet.ng that there’s even a risk of the club losing their prized asset come January.

“The Rangers fans love him but his form and the goals have dried up a little in recent weeks (due to injuries and national team commitments).

“There was a tonne of interest from English clubs over the summer though and if he picks up over the coming months I’d imagine Rangers would have a challenge keeping hold of him,” he said.

As a mark of deep respect for Steven Gerrard, Joe Aribo may shun January transfer suitors and help Rangers in their bid to knock Celtic off their hallowed perch atop Scottish football.

However, by next summer’s transfer window, with another impressive league campaign under his belt, Aribo should be more than ready to hold his own in midfield for any of Europe’s biggest clubs.

And with the likes of Southampton, Nice and Bayer Leverkusen believed to be interested in him back when he was League One’s standout performer, Aribo should not be short of admirers now that he’s a Super Eagles regular. And nothing Rangers and Gerrard do would be able to hold him back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Euniceadetun(f): 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Na wa ooo... This your passion must be stronger than mine. Me and others here wey don move on tey tey. Oya, be sad no more... Didn't you see the Lesotho vs Nigeria game? Couldn't that cheer you up a bit?

Lol I love your sense of humor. I saw the game and yes the boys played well. Like I said earlier, I don't support any club football, I only watch them for fun. The only team I support is Nigeria national team. I was actually expecting Nigeria with her emerging pool of talents to take the world by storm in the next Olympics but no we won't be there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
darkelf:

Wow. No wonder they have a good working relationship till today...as per Scout Agali

Agali would make a good coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Euniceadetun(f): 9:30pm On Nov 21, 2019
Kbs468:

Yes ooo. Runaway Euniceadetun.

You shouldn't be blamed though for you seemed to be the shy-type pretty Angel going by the fact that you could only manage just 3 post in an incredible 9 months!

The only motivation however is that all posts from you are related to your Love and passion for your darling Football Club-The Super Eagles of NIGERIA grin grin grin

Come on, Not withstanding anything, just continue to keep us company okay.
See this yeye boyfriend Lol. You're stylishly mocking me abi. 3 wonderful posts for my darling eagles. Don't worry, soon I will be more regular than you. I hope Osimhen keeps giving me joy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
Eartquake1:

Agali would make a good coach

Has he coached any team before?

Coaching isn't scouting you know....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 9:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
Gbas gbos.

Next 3 months: I met him on Nairaland Super Eagles thread.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:36pm On Nov 21, 2019
My sense of humor strikes you. Good to know I am the reason you are laughing right now. grin (Hey guys... Don't get too jealous. I make people happy... It's part of what I do wink ).

Anyway, it's alright. I get your sad mood now as regards our missing out on Tokyo. Would truly bave been a chance to showcase some of the best U-23 talents we have in our pool. Anyway, just stay tuned because 2020 promises to usher in another wonderful strong phase of evolution in our darling Super Eagles. The WC qualifiers stage, where we come in, will begin next year. Our Afcon Qualifiers campaign will resume my later next year too and our team is expected to mature more and evolve more into a much Lovably dominant and super attacking force.

Just stay tuned Eunice. There is even much better to come from our Darling Super Eagles. wink

Euniceadetun:
Lol I love your sense of humor. I saw the game and yes the boys played well. Like I said earlier, I don't support any club football, I only watch them for fun. The only team I support is Nigeria national team. I was actually expecting Nigeria with her emerging pool of talents to take the world by storm in the next Olympics but no we won't be there.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
iSlayer:
Gbas gbos.

Next 3 months: I met him on Nairaland Super Eagles thread.

It is allowed... Let the lovebirds play... grin

Soon na wedding bells we go dey ring...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 9:39pm On Nov 21, 2019
darkelf:

Yes and very true indeed.

TheSuperNerd:

Euniceadetun is very passionate about Everything NIGERIA indeed going by her comments already.

It takes much more than passion to only enjoy Club Football for pass time only without any loyalty but to the National Team only.

TheSuperNerd:
Honestly e don tey wey Rohr don dey work with Naija players. Lol... And I remember that game in 2004. The Agali hattrick in France. Was still in Junior Secondary school.

But I never knew the coach of Agali back then will be coaching our darling Super Eagles now. Truth is, I never bothered knowing his name in 2004. I never heard of Rohr back then. Lol
Frankly speaking, ROHR has been there all along silently unnoticed not until I now.

To know about his knowledge of Nigerian football and Players dating back to 2004 is something commendable and heartwarming in truth.

No wonder a pretty much perfect relationship had emerged between himself and his former player in Victor Agali like darkelf had earlier posited

(1) (2) (3) ... (7740) (7741) (7742) (7743) (7744) (7745) (7746) ... (16149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Suzzytee05(f), comodo, elyte89 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.