Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,054 members, 7,838,673 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8985) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11800467 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8982) (8983) (8984) (8985) (8986) (8987) (8988) ... (16208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 12:06am On Jul 19, 2020
jihday:
Osimhen medicals done, announcement soon
Abeg o,abeg o!. Only me know news weh I wan hear o,no be all those rumours weh dey circulate so.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 12:10am On Jul 19, 2020
Clint02:
Abeg o,abeg o!. Only me know news weh I wan hear o,no be all those rumours weh dey circulate so.
I think the news are correct
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:32am On Jul 19, 2020
jihday:
So you expect arsenal with a far inferior squad to go toe to toe with city abi? So you go use them wipe floor, I see. Arteta's game plan was near perfect, the Liverpool game had luck written on it but this one is a result of a well orchestrated tactical play

I did not expect him to go toe-to-toe but pointing out things Arteta must address shiks going forward.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:36am On Jul 19, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

Do not agree one bit with your analysis, Arsenal GK was immense, the whole Arsenal team were excellent. The poor team here was Manchester City in every area. Compare their loss to that of Liverpool's.

Manchester City lacked intelligence, didn't know what to do with ball, even De Bruyne at one point seemed surprised when he got the ball in the box. Never looked like scoring.

Liverpool created big chances, showed good intelligence and very good positioning against this same Arsenal tactic but their players were complacent and unlucky.

Arsenal gave the ball away repeatedly with no direction of play. Manchester found it difficult breaking arsenal down because they decided to sit vdry deep almost all game.

When i was talking about the Goalkeeper, it was about his distribution whicb was atrocious. Worst i have seen this season in all leagues and competition.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:37am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

I did not expect him to go toe-to-toe but pointing out things Arteta must address shiks going forward.
Nice, I agree that Martinez distribution isn't top notch but his reflexes are very good, he's not bad for a back up GK
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:42am On Jul 19, 2020
jihday:
Nice, I agree that Martinez distribution isn't top notch but his reflexes are very good, he's not bad for a back up GK

I pointed out his distribution only. I never talked about reflexes. Keepers look good in parked bus system.

It is not about not top notch but atrocious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:46am On Jul 19, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:
Knew Arteta managerial career very promising with the way he reacted to David LUiz's howler against City. Many managers would have let Luiz go, but be handed a new contract. After Luiz signed, 4 other players were inspired and signed extensions. It was as if the coach was telling them, "Just like Luiz, even though you have a bad day, I'll stand by you."

John Terry once said the reason why Carlo Ancelotti is successful is because of excellent man-management.

"He adapted very quickly and when speaking to me, Frank [Lampard], Didier [Drogba], he wanted to pick our brains: 'is this too much tactics for the players to do? Are we doing too much of this?'
"As players naturally, when things go wrong, it's the manager, it's never our fault.
I've never had a manager in all my career that actually asks the players and gives them a bit of responsibility.."

Man-management comes first, then tactical nous.

Cool down, he parked bus.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:47am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

He definitely learnt but in this game, Arteta accepted a tactical defeat and went for a strategic win. He also lacks the players to imprint his ideas. However, i feel Arteta is adulterated due to him playing too long in the EPL.

I am actually glad he left. I felt he was a poor influence on Guardiola. We became more fluid after his departure.
sorry bro...you are one of the best analyst here butbyou are totally wrong about this. What you posted up here is from a biased point of view.
Though arsenal was the underdog, Arteta clearly outclass his former master. His starting line up and even his substitutions clearly buttress the fact.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:48am On Jul 19, 2020
Edopesin:
Both with convincing stats
Both ended in tears

You are looking at the result for the momebt, neglecting the amount of worj put in to get a team to dominate. The team with the negative stats won the game but over tine, the team wifh the positive stats will do miles better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:49am On Jul 19, 2020
Edopesin:
Whoever wins tomorrow between Chelsea and Man U will win the FA Cup

It's just physics
you forgot there is chemistry and biology also

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:51am On Jul 19, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:
Knew Arteta managerial career very promising with the way he reacted to David LUiz's howler against City. Many managers would have let Luiz go, but be handed a new contract. After Luiz signed, 4 other players were inspired and signed extensions. It was as if the coach was telling them, "Just like Luiz, even though you have a bad day, I'll stand by you."

John Terry once said the reason why Carlo Ancelotti is successful is because of excellent man-management.

"He adapted very quickly and when speaking to me, Frank [Lampard], Didier [Drogba], he wanted to pick our brains: 'is this too much tactics for the players to do? Are we doing too much of this?'
"As players naturally, when things go wrong, it's the manager, it's never our fault.
I've never had a manager in all my career that actually asks the players and gives them a bit of responsibility.."

Man-management comes first, then tactical nous.
spot on bro! . His managerial maturity is commendable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:52am On Jul 19, 2020
mostob:
sorry bro...you are one of the best analyst here butbyou are totally wrong about this. What you posted up here is from a biased point of view.
Though arsenal was the underdog, Arteta clearly outclass his former master. His starting line up and even his substitutions clearly buttress the fact.

How did he outclass Pep?

Look at the stats below. Arteta was totally outplayed. It was just a case of park bus and win. Even Southampton gave us a far better game. Bournemouth played far better than this. The changes did nothing to Arteta's strategy. While Rodri brought the ability to hold the ball high up the pitch. Foden brought penetration in tight areas.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by StubbornGENIUS: 12:52am On Jul 19, 2020
mostob:
you forgot there is chemistry and biology also
And Geology...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:03am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:
Congratulations to Arsenal. Big win for them. However, apart from the few chances they created, overall, they were poor and Arteta need to work on improving their game plah massively.

The Goalkeeper of Arsenal is atrocious with his foot. Arsenal needs to keep signing a keeper in mind.

Well done to them.
Ya very laughable right now.

Arsenal were poor? You tryna sound Komeknish tonight or what cos its absolutely unsusual for you o.

4 shots by Arsenal 100 on target. Man City had 14 shots and only 1 kpere on target.... And thats poor?

Chai.

See, with what im seeing in football, i dont give a damn about footwork gk right now. Let him save and stretch and deny potent strikers goals, thats all i need amd Martinez has done just that. See "Ederson Footwork" couldnt even dive tonight. Who all hin accurate passes epp abeg.

For this Man City duel, Arsenal gave their all and Arteta's tactic worked. Everyone knows Arsenal is a team in progress.

And they recoiled and beat the "perfect team" with wack players like luiz and co.

Abeg o.

Or preferably, of Arsenal are poor

Then Pep's City are the poorest!!!

Only then....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:07am On Jul 19, 2020
grin grin grin

I was kinda stunned the way Arsenal soaked in all the pressure and Luiz with aerial clearances like Van Dijk. It was atypical of what we know Arsenal to be.
Simple.

Nothing wey Pep no use from hin book wey work tonight. Its Arteta his RH man.
A man that knows the weakness of a team owned by Pep!!

Truly after the tears, the analysis comes.
Im even shocked he said Arsenal were poor tonight. Exonerating Man City's own.
Danielnino00:

After the tears comes the tactical analysis grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:07am On Jul 19, 2020
daveP:
Ya very laughable right now.

Arsenal were poor? You tryna sound Komeknish tonight or what cos its absolutely unsusual for you o.

4 shots by Arsenal 100 on target. Man City had 14 shots and only 1 kpere on target.... And thats poor?

Chai.

See, with what im seeing in football, i dont give a damn about footwork gk right now. Let him save and stretch and deny potent strikers goals, thats all i need amd Martinez has done just that. See "Ederson Footwork" couldnt even dive tonight. Who all hin accurate passes epp abeg.

For this Man City duel, Arsenal gave their all and Arteta's tactic worked. Everyone knows Arsenal is a team in progress.

And they recoiled and beat the "perfect team" with wack players like luiz and co.

Abeg o.

Or preferably, of Arsenal are poor

Then Pep's City are the poorest!!!

Only then....

You are free to like what you want.

I am a fantastic of the possessive game. We played brilliantly today. The reason Arsenal had shots on target is because it is a counter to an open defence.

At the end it was a patked bus win. You are free to like it but it is not a fruitful long term philosophy proven over time. I hope that is how you want Arsenal to play all games.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:18am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

How did he outclass Pep?

Look at the stats below. Arteta was totally outplayed. It was just a case of park bus and win. Even Southampton gave us a far better game. Bournemouth played far better than this. The changes did nothing to Arteta's strategy. While Rodri brought the ability to hold the ball high up the pitch. Foden brought penetration in tight areas.
Tactically, Pep was outclassed. You need to come to realization that man city tactic nowadays is like a one way traffic;it is difficult to pinpoint its loophole but once found out,it might be disastrous.Arteta knew it'll be foolish to go toe to toe against a superior man city so he set up his team to neutralize city's threats while the potency of the attacking third is sustained. And that was what brought up the stat you posted above. What became of city with all their possession and shots? Bro,accept it...Pep was outclassed. Even his sub couldn't reduce the deficit.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:19am On Jul 19, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
And Geology...
lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:20am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

You are free to like what you want.

I am a fantastic of the possessive game. We played brilliantly today. The reason Arsenal had shots on target is because it is a counter to an open defence.

At the end it was a patked bus win. You are free to like it but it is not a fruitful long term philosophy proven over time. I hope that is how you want Arsenal to play all games.

Lol. Ya talking asif its only Pep's method that is the acceptable approach to the round leather game and thats too funny.

Counterattacks are part of the game. So is park the bus, ghenghen pressing, tiktaktoe, etc.

Anything you'd say to make Arteta look like an amateur. And that is too low actually. Very low. Isnt it so disgraceful that Tactic Arteta worked and Tactic Pep didn't.

Its almost similar to the downgrading given Giroud at the WC cos he never scored, but he played his own pivotal role and got Gold when others tearing up nets are not gonna see that trophy even in Qatar.

No sensible Manager, Lampard inclusive(pun intended), won't know that City's defence line are very very unreliable against fast legs. Its a fact, especially in the EPL alone.

You talking asif you didn't notice the fluidity of passes before the 1st goal. It wasnt merely hit and run. Infact Auba and Pepe were heavy in their legs.

Philosophy? Hmmmm. Tonighy at Wembley, Another Philosophy trumped the "ultimate"!!!

Sha no do one thing pls... Dont downgrade the play Arsenal and Arteta did tonight.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:25am On Jul 19, 2020
daveP:

Lol. Ya talking asif its only Pep's method that is the acceptable approach to the round leather game and thats too funny.

Counterattacks are part of the game. So is park the bus, ghenghen pressing, tiktaktoe, etc.

Anything you'd say to make Arteta look like an amateur. And that is too low actually. Very low. Isnt it so disgraceful that Tactic Arteta worked and Tactic Pep didn't.

Its almost similar to the downgrading given Giroud at the WC cos he never scored, but he played his own pivotal role and got Gold when others tearing up nets are not gonna see that trophy even in Qatar.

No sensible Manager, Lampard inclusive(pun intended), won't know that City's defence line are very very unreliable against fast legs. Its a fact, especially in the EPL alone.

You talking asif you didn't notice the fluidity of passes before the 1st goal. It wasnt merely hit and run. Infact Auba and Pepe were heavy in their legs.

Philosophy? Hmmmm. Tonighy at Wembley, Another Philosophy trumped the "ultimate"!!!

Sha no do one thing pls... Dont downgrade the play Arsenal and Arteta did tonight.

It is just a game. If City got an early goal, no way Arsenal would have come back from it. They were clearly outplayed. Even when they scored, the commentator said it was against the run of play.

I did not say Pep is ultimate. I am saying park bus is not a long term strategy. It is a coach accepting the other side and coach is far better and you will adopt the strategy and hope to win.

Congrats to them for their win. You guys are trying to make a park bus win like a tactical masterpiece, which it is not. The game is over and I was pointing out what i hope to see from now.

I did not downgrade anything. I just stated the fact.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:27am On Jul 19, 2020
daveP:

gbayi .. I dey feel you my brother.
Did arsenal even counter? I think the plan was to massively defend after losing the ball then a patient build up after winning the ball back. The first goal I think, was the perfect example.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:29am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

It is just a game. If City got an early goal, no way Arsenal would have come back from it. They were clearly outplayed. Even when they scored, the commentator said it was against the run of play.

I did not say Pep is ultimate. I am saying park bus is not a long term strategy. It is a coach accepting the other side and coach is far better and you will adopt the strategy andhope to win.

Congrats to them for their win. You guys are trying to make a park bus win like a tactical masterpiece, which it is not. The game is over and I was pointing out what i hope to see from now.

Whatever tactic works.... Is worthy of praise. Especially in a KO system.
Suddenly "it is just a game"

You won't say so if City won o. We wont hear word tonight about his tactical prowess and etc.

See Baba with physical signs that he was outclassed by his Apprentice!!

Wise men say...

To be Pep is human
To be Arteta is divine..- Spy360

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:30am On Jul 19, 2020
mostob:
Tactically, Pep was outclassed. You need to come to realization that man city tactic nowadays is like a one way traffic;it is difficult to pinpoint its loophole but once found out,it might be disastrous.Arteta knew it'll be foolish to go toe to toe against a superior man city so he set up his team to neutralize city's threats while the potency of the attacking third is sustained. And that was what brought up the stat you posted above. What became of city with all their possession and shots? Bro,accept it...Pep was outclassed. Even his sub couldn't reduce the deficit.

What do you want me to accept?

Arsenal were the poorer side. It is a fact for anyone who watched the game. It was not some tactical show piece. Park bus is not tactics. It is strategy. Sit deep and hoof the ball hoping for favor. It is fun when a poor side wins a better side but when it capitulates, it is embarrassing.

Arteta did not tactically play better. Arsenal did not play better in any way. So how are you guys making it that he outclassed Pep when he was totally outplayed.

Just like when we lost to Tottenham. We totally outclasssd them but they won fortunately. Not tactical masterpiece.

Park bus is strictly based on luck. Hoping the opponents slip. Not tactical masterpiece when he was totally outplayed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:31am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

I did not say Pep is ultimate. I am saying park bus is not a long term strategy. It is a coach accepting the other side and coach is far better and you will adopt the strategy andhope to win.

Maybe...just maybe if city had tried to pack the bus too, the two goals might have been prevented and city might have won.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:32am On Jul 19, 2020
daveP:

Whatever tactic works.... Is worthy of praise. Especially in a KO system.
Suddenly "it is just a game"

You won't say so if City won o. We wont hear word tonight about his tactical prowess and etc.

See Baba with physical signs that he was outclassed by his Apprentice!!

Wise men say...

To be Pep is human
To be Arteta is divine..- Spy360

That is where you guys miss it.

What is work, winning a game or building a formidable force in the long run.

If you are honest to yourself, the way Arsenal played is no way to build a formidable force in the long run. That is my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:34am On Jul 19, 2020
mostob:
Maybe...just maybe if city had tried to pack the bus too, the two goals might have been prevented and city might have won.

I don't want City winning by parked bus.
I want City working hard to keep getting better at what they do. We will lose some but in the long run we will achieve great things.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:38am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

What do you want me to accept?

Arsenal were the poorer side. It is a fact for anyone who watched the game. It was not some tactical show piece. Park bus is not tactics. It is strategy. Sit deep and hoof the ball hoping for favor. It is fun when a poor side wins a better side but when it capitulates, it is embarrassing.

Arteta did not tactically play better. Arsenal did not play better in any way. So how are you guys making it that he outclassed Pep when he was totally outplayed.

Just like when we lost to Tottenham. We totally outclasssd them but theh won fortunately. Not tactical masterpiece.

Park bus is strictly based on luck. Hoping the opponents slip. Not tactical masterpiece when he was totally outplayed.
Park bus is not always based on luck bro. A sensible warrior will always knows when to attack and when to retreat and that is where Arteta got it right. Man city was clearly the superior side and it made perfect sense for arsenal to be cautious. And arsenal didn't 'just hoof the ball and hope for favour' , they perfectly build up and the two goals were clear evidence.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:41am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

I don't want City winning by parked bus.
I want City working hard to keep getting better at what they do. We will lose some but in the long run we will achieve great things.
ok . But you guys need to walk on your plan B. Tiki taka and aimless passing no dey last bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:43am On Jul 19, 2020
mostob:
Park bus is not always based on luck bro. A sensible warrior will always knows when to attack and when to retreat and that is where Arteta got it right. Man city was clearly the superior side and it made perfect sense for arsenal to be cautious. And arsenal didn't 'just hoof the ball and hope for favour' , they perfectly build up and the two goals were clear evidence.

At the end, it was not to be the better side but the lucky side.

Congrats to them, they won the game. Now on the way forward, you dont want Arsenal or Arteta building a career based on that. They need to be a formidable side that can go toe-to-toe with top sides in play.

I will praise Arteta when he can get Arsenal to do that instead of parking bus.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:45am On Jul 19, 2020
mostob:
ok . But you guys need to walk on your plan B. Tiki taka and aimless passing no dey last bro.

There is no plan b. We clearly outplayed them today. Had the shots. Unfortunately, ths goals did not come. Somedays, we annihilate the opposition with same performance.

We just need to keep getting better at it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:50am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

There is no plan b. We clearly outplayed them today. Had the shots. Unfortunately, ths goals did not come. Somedays, we annihilate the opposition with same performance.

We just need to keep getting better at it.
ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:53am On Jul 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

At the end, it was not to be the better side but the lucky side.

Congrats to them, they won the game. Now on the way forward, you dont want Arsenal or Arteta building a career based on that. They need to be a formidable side that can go toe-to-toe with top sides in play.

I will praise Arteta when he can get Arsenal to do that instead of parking bus.
He will start going toe to toe with big teams when he gets the required resources. For now, he is playing to the strength of the resources at his disposal.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8982) (8983) (8984) (8985) (8986) (8987) (8988) ... (16208) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.