Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,002 members, 7,838,515 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11799360 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9255) (9256) (9257) (9258) (9259) (9260) (9261) ... (16208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:27pm On Aug 15, 2020
jihday:
It's not true, it's because they don't have fans. If Chelsea is playing fans of Man Utd, arsenal and Liverpool won support the opponent and hope they loose, but as city no get fans nobody dey support them

Lol

I remember when Leicester kicked out Sevilla ,the fan base was much

Maybe you will tell me they Leicester has fans grin

Bros leave matter ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:28pm On Aug 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

grin grin grin grin

Abeg,don't use Finnish Koh funk on me
grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:30pm On Aug 15, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Lol

I remember when Leicester kicked out Sevilla ,the fan base was much

Maybe you will tell me they Leicester has fans grin

Bros leave matter ok

What Leicester have are admirers and not really fans..

Their premier league victory was one hel of a remarkable feat that attracted a lot of attention to them... They gained a lot of admirers but not fans....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:30pm On Aug 15, 2020
Big lesson for Guardiola today.

I think the demolition of Barcelona wrecked havoc on Guardiola's mentality. That is the only excuse I can give for this show of shame.

Why start three central defenders and two defensive midfielders? What was he thinking? What happened to bravery and going down with your swords held high.

This was embarrassing. Not about the dynamics or chances. The strategy was stinking. He taught us what bravery was all about but was too scared.

Either way, kudos to Rudi Garcia. Such a brilliant tactician and was immense today. The Lyon guys played very well and indeed Dembele is a boss.

Denayer was magical. Shocking we let such talent go. I wonder why Guardiola never wanted him.

Congrats to Rudi Garcia and Lyon. Well played.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:31pm On Aug 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

You guys are hilarious. I did not turn off my phone. I was receiving laughs from my elder brother.

Are we in for a long run on quotes, analysis, YouTube videos on how apt Pep's tactics were and how it was rightly interpreted by Garcia the genius?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 1realBobby(m): 10:31pm On Aug 15, 2020
lol.. the picture can never be complete without Bayern there. Pitch 22 Lyon players against Bayern's eleven, dem go still collect at least 5 grin
Samueltemi337:
More like Liepzip vs Lyon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:32pm On Aug 15, 2020
1realBobby:
lol.. the picture can never be complete without Bayern there. Pitch 22 Lyon players against Bayern's eleven, dem go still collect at least 5 grin
Let's watch and see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:33pm On Aug 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

I think the demolition of Barcelona wrecked havoc on Guardiola's mentality. That is the only excuse I can give for this show of shame.

Why start three central defenders and two defensive midfielders? What was he thinking? What happened to bravery and going down with your swords held high.

This was embarrassing. Not about the dynamics or chances. The strategy was stinking. He taught us what bravery was all about but was too scared.

Either way, kudos to Rudi Garcia. Such a brilliant tactician and was immense today. The Lyon guys played very well and indeed Dembele is a boss.

Denayer was magical. Shocking we let such talent go. I wonder why Guardiola never wanted him.

Ur 1st statement is a typical style of a Nigerian politician looking for any flimsy excuse to shift d Blame grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:34pm On Aug 15, 2020
1realBobby:
It's not about the hype... It's basically about rubbing it on the faces of those who look down on others, that you don't just write anyone off. I was listening to Nigeria info fm prior to the start of this match, and virtually everyone who called in predicted man city to win with a huge margin.. Buut i was damn so sure that eleven against eleven, anything could happen..

I made a post here yesterday about the possibility of Lyon upsetting city,so I won't same the result shocked me...

Things like this happen..

I don't think people are looking down on the French league..
They are just saying the truth as it is...
The French league is the weakest among the top 5 leagues.

PSG have dominated the league since the Arabs took over, and to make it worse, they and other French teams don't post impressive results in European competitions like their English, Spanish and German counterparts.. so to some extent, the farmers league tag is justifiable grin

As for those people that predicted City to win, you can't blame them na grin .. city were clear favourites, all things considered...

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:34pm On Aug 15, 2020
ChrisKels:

Are we in for a long run on quotes, analysis, YouTube videos on how apt Pep's tactics were and how it was rightly interpreted by Garcia the genius?

What matters is Garcia was spot on. He did not show City respect and go for the negative. He believed they were up to the task and his bravery paid off.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:35pm On Aug 15, 2020
Danielnino00:

What Leicester have are admirers and not really fans..

Their premier league victory was one hel of a remarkable feat that attracted a lot of attention to them... They gained a lot of admirers but not fans....

Lol

No wahala Baba
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:39pm On Aug 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

What matters is Garcia was spot on. He did not show City respect and go for the negative. He believed they were up to the task and his bravery paid off.

What's your take on Lopez's ability as a goalkeeper?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:42pm On Aug 15, 2020
ChrisKels:

What's your take on Lopez's ability as a goalkeeper?

O boy. That guy is something else. Good with his feet and hands. Comes out at the right time, focused and commanding his backline. I was very impressed by him. Like the guy to a fault.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2020
benji93:
grin grin grin grin. I cwould rather play defensive strategy and win than play an offensive one and lose. I honestly think Guardiola is a little overrated. Win this thing so at least the English fans can brag that we still have one team in the tournament grin you can't. Where's that guy that was running all over the place talking up offensive strategies. Offensive strategy my ass. grin. Perhaps you have learnt one or two things. grin.

@Edopesin. Team defensive, wetin you think?
No, playing defensive football is easy and means the coach doesn't know anything, it's better to loose 8-2 than pack bus and win 1-0 via a counter attacking goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:44pm On Aug 15, 2020
babatundey5:
Guardiola is a big fraud
Check book Roberto Martinez
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:53pm On Aug 15, 2020
1realBobby:
Victor Osimhen outclasses Gabriel Jesus as a striker. Put Osimbaba in this team and watch him paint the EPL red.... Haba! so much deliveries from midfield and yet no reliable striker to execute them. If Aguero was here tonight, Mancity would win the game with a very wide margin.

Delusional
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:57pm On Aug 15, 2020
1realBobby:
Victor Osimhen outclasses Gabriel Jesus as a striker. Put Osimbaba in this team and watch him paint the EPL red.... Haba! so much deliveries from midfield and yet no reliable striker to execute them. If Aguero was here tonight, Mancity would win the game with a very wide margin.

Stop being pained okay ,this is football and city is out

You guys are yet to finish Tammy and osimhen arguement and you have jumped to Gabriel Jesus

Okay continue

All English team are outa and all Spanish teams

Anybody that calls the French league farmers league will have me to fight with

And komekn stop saying nonsense about the bundesliga from now on

Liverpool should have won this easily because they are the only team that can beat Bayern ,but they easily lost to Atm

grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:57pm On Aug 15, 2020
jihday:
Check book Roberto Martinez

Chei
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:59pm On Aug 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Obviously Guardiola wanted to control the mildfield because he knew Houssem Aouar was far better than what he has in the middle but Aouar still proved to difficult to control. He did the damage.

I now realized why Chelsea, Arsenal and Man city are after him. I hope we get him to play for Chelsea instead of that Derice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:01pm On Aug 15, 2020
jihday:
No, playing defensive football is easy and means the coach doesn't know anything, it's better to loose 8-2 than pack bus and win 1-0 via a counter attacking goal

Are you serious? From what I saw today Lyon dictated the match from start to finish.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:03pm On Aug 15, 2020
forgiveness:

Obviously Guardiola wanted to control the mildfield because he knew Houssem Aouar was far better than what he has in the middle but Aouar still proved to difficult to control. He did the damage.

I now realized why Chelsea, Arsenal and Man city are after him. I hope we get him to play for Chelsea instead of that Derice.

More reason why we needed more creativity in the midfield. Guardiola messed up tactically that is just it. I have no doubt we would have smoked Lyon if we played our normal game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 11:08pm On Aug 15, 2020
komekn:

They won the game, a dubious goal from a foul and offside and a huge big gaff from what has been a previously reliable goalkeeper.

However, l feel that Pep made a big mistake changed the formation and played very negative. He should have had Foden, Sylva, and Mahrez from the start.

Today Lyon won the game but did not out play or dominate City. But got a very lucky win against a better side. It happens but City played too negative. It's knock out football you can't recover in the second leg.

Now for the first time we have a French and German semi final and possibly on paper it seems it will be Bayern and PSG. However, with the number of upsets we could have a PSG vs Lyon.

Lyon Won the game because they were the better team

Nobody asked Sterling to goofed
Or Gabriel to take the Tammy's challenge serious
Or for Ederson to turn into prime Karius

Lyon for the first 30 minutes were better and also after Man city equalized, Lyon came out to play

Football is not all about possession mbok

Put the ball in d fucking net

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:18pm On Aug 15, 2020
Edopesin:

Still farmers league nothing has changed

Just shut up!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:24pm On Aug 15, 2020
komekn:

They won the game, a dubious goal from a foul and offside and a huge big gaff from what has been a previously reliable goalkeeper.

However, l feel that Pep made a big mistake changed the formation and played very negative. He should have had Foden, Sylva, and Mahrez from the start.

Today Lyon won the game but did not out play or dominate City. But got a very lucky win against a better side. It happens but City played too negative. It's knock out football you can't recover in the second leg.

Now for the first time we have a French and German semi final and possibly on paper it seems it will be Bayern and PSG. However, with the number of upsets we could have a PSG vs Lyon.

Excuses... Excuses and more Excuses!!

Teams from your famous 'farmers' league' have beaten Almighty Man City blue and black twice now in a row and prevented them from advancing to the next round on two different occasions and all you make for Man city are Excuses upon excuses?

Your hypocrisy and bias stinks to high heavens

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 11:32pm On Aug 15, 2020
I think this Lyon team is underrated

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:37pm On Aug 15, 2020
JayromWrites:

Lyon Won the game because they were the better team

Nobody asked Sterling to goofed
Or Gabriel to take the Tammy's challenge serious
Or for Ederson to turn into prime Karius

Lyon for the first 30 minutes were better and also after Man city equalized, Lyon came out to play

Football is not all about possession mbok

Put the ball in d fucking net
to buttress your point, Bayern didn't outplay Barcelona
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40pm On Aug 15, 2020
komekn:

Very precise.

I did not even take note of the foul but as for the offside, the player was definitely interfering with play. If the ball went in front of him, it could be allowed but stepping over the ball is offside and Dembele fouled Laporte. No two ways about it.

The fact is that if we played our normal game, this would have been a routine win. Guardiola also let us down.

“Surely he can’t give that!” exclaimed Steve McManaman on BT Sport commentary.

“I was very surprised the contact wasn’t given as a foul, especially as the consequences were the player who instigated that potential foul went on to score the goal. He had a material impact in that decision – so I am surprised that wasn’t given as a foul.”

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52pm On Aug 15, 2020
However, both Ferdinand and Hart believe there was clear contact on Laporte, albeit unintentional, and the goal shouldn't have stood.

"I think it's a foul," Ferdinand told BT Sport.

"If I'm on that pitch, it's got to be. He's connected and he's the one who went on to score. City were dominating at that time.

"There is 100 per cent contact. I don't understand how they can't call that? People will be saying conspiracy theories now if you're a City fan.

"I believe that's a foul and it's the man who goes on to score the goal."

"It's not intentional, that's clear but there is a clash of legs," Hart added.

"Does it then go with the referee's decision because he's seen it?"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-var-ferdinand-hart-18776960.amp

Funny if anyone still thinks there is no gang up against Manchester City.

Corrupt folks.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 11:53pm On Aug 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Very precise.

I did not even take note of the foul but as for the offside, the player was definitely interfering with play. If the ball went in front of him, it could be allowed but stepping over the ball is offside and Dembele fouled Laporte. No two ways about it.

The fact is that if we played our normal game, this would have been a routine win. Guardiola also let us down.

“Surely he can’t give that!” exclaimed Steve McManaman on BT Sport commentary.

“I was very surprised the contact wasn’t given as a foul, especially as the consequences were the player who instigated that potential foul went on to score the goal. He had a material impact in that decision – so I am surprised that wasn’t given as a foul.”

What about Walker's push in the 18' box against Cornet?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2020
JayromWrites:

What about Walker's push in the 18' box against Cornet?

From my view, I will call a penalty but it was clear Cornet went down on his own not because of the foul. But, my take was a foul. But, they did not go to VAR for that.

In this case, they went to VAR, saw the foul and refused to chalk off the goal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 11:59pm On Aug 15, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

From my view, I will call a penalty but it was clear Cornet went down on his own not because of the foul. But, my take was a foul. But, they did not go to VAR for that.

In this case, they went to VAR, saw the foul and refused to chalk off the goal.

Well, i guess it's a Tooth for a Tooth

I'm more concerned about the Offside call though, Ekambi jumped over the ball while running, that's interferance imo

But like i said, an eye for an eye
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:00am On Aug 16, 2020
I rooted for City or Bayern. But City out

Now revelations

Pep's transfer spend:

€383m at Barça (4 seasons)
€204.4m at Bayern (3 seasons)
€841.1m at MCFC (4 seasons)

Total = €1.429 BILLION in 11 seasons

As of now, Pep since 2011 has spent €1.105 BILLION with Barça, Bayern & Man City without winning a Champions League! #UCL https:///Jvt4ICO0gz

(1) (2) (3) ... (9255) (9256) (9257) (9258) (9259) (9260) (9261) ... (16208) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: semid4lyfe(m), Princezibk and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.