Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 10 - Travel (397) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (1008718 Views)

Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) / Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) ... (403) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by adebayoolatunji(m): 8:39pm On Aug 25, 2016
justwise:
[b]

At what level?
B. Tech physics and I'm going for instrumentation and control engineering technology at Lambton college
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by o2(f): 8:46pm On Aug 25, 2016
t405:

please i have tried reaching you.sent a private message.did you get a mail alert. My LOI is ready now.I would be most glad if you could review. Many thanks.

@t405 that was fast im still wtiting anɗ canceling mine over and 0ver. Let me ɗo quick oh.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by auxioneer(m): 8:49pm On Aug 25, 2016
Hello fellow Nairalanders, I have been a silent follower of the thread and I would say it's been awesome. I just have to say I wasn't surprised when my application was delayed as CIC is up to no good. So this is my own timeline.
Applied July 3rd, Biometric done 4th. Delayed 25th August
Documents submitted:
All CIC documents
Admission letter from Lambton to study quality engineering management.
Receipt showing half tuition payment.
CV showing level of education
Employment letter from my company where I work as a quality officer. (Jan to date )
My Bsc Cert Mechanical Eng (2.2)
Notarized Letter of sponsorship from sponsor who resides in the US (uncle maternal)
sponsors bank statement X2
Letter of introduction from sponsors place of work
Marriage certificate of parents to show link with sponsor.
The VO stated that I was denied based on my purpose of visit and current employment status.
So I want to request for GCMS now to see what they really want so I know whether it's to start looking elsewhere or selling for masters.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by thesoj: 8:54pm On Aug 25, 2016
justwise:

My question was rhetorical but your answers above shows why many are still getting refused because they failed to see the issue here.
Applying for TRV with a course that shows no progression is basically risking your money and time.
The natural progression for degree holders and sometimes work experience is Msc then Phd or another degree in another filed completely.
When you have a degree with work experience, married and probably approaching 30s and you are going for certificate course then you are a potential immigrant and not a genuine student.

You choose a course and at a level that gives you the best chance of getting TRV
Justwise, I'll have to partially disagree with you here and agree with @zeongeon. Where I agree with you is that a course that shows no progression would likely lead to a visa denial because it shows that the applicant is probably not a genuine student but just an intending immigrant.

Where I would disagree with you is your point that college programs (e.g. PGD/PGC) are not a progression after a bachelors degree. I think you reach this conclusion because you are looking from a UK/US perspective. Canadian college programs at the PGC/PGD levels are specifically geared towards applicants already with a degree (or a previous diploma in some cases) and they teach different skillsets than masters or PhD programs.

Additionally, they provide an opportunity for the student (who already has a bachelors degree) to obtain practical skills and training that s/he may not obtain from a masters program. Keep in mind that masters programs are generally more focused on concepts and theory as opposed to college programs which spin out candidates that are probably job-ready from day one. The advantage of masters programs is that they make the student more adaptable to any job (in his/her general field of study) because they provide the student a very strong theoretical, conceptual, and (sometimes) research background.

Personally I have no "emotional investment" in this topic because I am more of a BSc/MSc/PhD kind of guy (and I think they are in general more marketable/valuable), but with the right course PGC/PGD programs are certainly a progression from a BSc. Having said all these, visa officers are probably automatically suspicious of college applicants in general because admission to these programs is generally very easy unlike masters programs which usually require letters of recommendations, mailed transcripts, a good statement of purpose, etc. Masters programs also take months before issuing an admission, whereas college programs admit in days! Nonetheless, the ease of admission doesn't mean that the programs are not a valuable progression of study for many applicants.

justwise:
Applying for PGC/PGD with WAEC or GCE and at early 20s will make sense but planning to spend millions a year to do certificate course is like an asylum application
This is certainly not the case. PGD/PGC means post-graduate so you can only be admitted to such courses if you have a bachelors degree or HND (and OND in some cases). These requirements are clearly spelled out on the websites of most/all colleges.

I have two siblings in Canada, one in a MSc program and another in a PGD program (both of whom got to Canada this January). The one in the PGD program already has a co-op and an interview for a full-time job. Three of us agree that the PGD was the better fit for him, given his skills and immediate interests. Of course, the one in the MSc program is also learning a whole lot and it is the best fit for her.

12 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 25, 2016
justwise:

Applying for PGC/PGD with WAEC or GCE and at early 20s will make sense but planning to spend millions a year to do certificate course is like an asylum application
pgc and pgdip are usually designed for international student by the schools in ontario. Its a source of income for ontario colleges. it does not lead to msc prog.When one moves outside ontario, it becomes almost useless. Even someone said it in a post above..i think onyeama, that most grads of diploma find it hard to get pr.. the cutoff score released yesterday for express entry was over 500. most msc grads wont even qualify with such high score . Some pgc and pgdip have been fortunate to get good jobs due to their years of experience in IT from back home(if in an IT career). Pgc and pgdip in canada can be related to msc from low rated uni in the uk. Atleast, uk msc leads to phd but pgc n pgdip does not.

In Canada, the natural progession is high school, diploma(2 or 3 years), degree, masters and phd.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by nwugon(f): 9:25pm On Aug 25, 2016
atrapon:
how long did it take UREGINA to admit u ?
just seeing this now,it took them approximately 2 months.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by nwugon(f): 9:31pm On Aug 25, 2016
justwise:

justwise please I need your help.my admission letter carries my father's name and I intend renewing my passport next month with my husbands name.Hope this is not going to cause any problem when I go for my study permit.what do you advice and between uni Regina and Manitoba which one can you go for?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Carter001(m): 9:35pm On Aug 25, 2016
auxioneer:
Hello fellow Nairalanders, I have been a silent follower of the thread and I would say it's been awesome. I just have to say I wasn't surprised when my application was delayed as CIC is up to no good. So this is my own timeline.
Applied July 3rd, Biometric done 4th. Delayed 25th August
Documents submitted:
All CIC documents
Admission letter from Lambton to study quality engineering management.
Receipt showing half tuition payment.
CV showing level of education
Employment letter from my company where I work as a quality officer. (Jan to date )
My Bsc Cert Mechanical Eng (2.2)
Notarized Letter of sponsorship from sponsor who resides in the US (uncle maternal)
sponsors bank statement X2
Letter of introduction from sponsors place of work
Marriage certificate of parents to show link with sponsor.
The VO stated that I was denied based on my purpose of visit and current employment status.
So I want to request for GCMS now to see what they really want so I know whether it's to start looking elsewhere or selling for masters.

I guess I should expect my passport anytime from now cos I also applied for quality engineering management at Lambton and BSC Engr too....na by force to do Msc....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by auxioneer(m): 9:41pm On Aug 25, 2016
Abeg just leave CIC they know what they are doing
Carter001:

I guess I should expect my passport anytime from now cos I also applied for quality engineering management at Lambton and BSC Engr too....na by force to do Msc....

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Galaxymike105: 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2016
Carter001:

and Na by force for Canada to give you visa?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by okechukwu101: 9:46pm On Aug 25, 2016
Carter001:

hommie wats good? Have they started attending to Lambton students?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by xplen(m): 9:48pm On Aug 25, 2016
Good day senior men,

I have 4yrs working experience and look forward to applying for PhD in Operations Management & Information System. I have been looking for a school that don't require GMAT/GRE as I have contacted some and they actually do.

Please I need help with regards this and if its not an option, I'll appreciate if anyone could send me study materials (xplendido607@yahoo.com) so I can start preparing and apply in good time.

Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by okechukwu101: 9:49pm On Aug 25, 2016
Galaxymike105:
Hey oga!!!! wats d sarcasm all about? Are you his Visa Officer. Please stop discouraging people here.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by okechukwu101: 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2016
MsLee:
Hello Gurus in the house

My application will be 12weeks tomorrow and i want to send a mail to accra.immigration@international.gc.ca asking for the status of my application and letting them know my resumption time is close.

Please advise

Thanks
They wouldn't give a reply instead u are probably going to get an automated reply telling you it is under standard processing time which is the 15weeks stated
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Sebho(m): 10:07pm On Aug 25, 2016
hello gurus in the house,i really need your advice
i am in my early twenty,
i have applied three times now,and all was not successful
first application online and my delayed was base on travel history,work,purpose of visit
2nd application online and my delayed was base on personal asset and insufficient document to explain my relationship with my sponsor
3rd application paper route ,medical 7th July,medical done 25th July and delay 5th august and reasons sufficient and financial resources for the course of my program of studies that i intend,2 have sufficient and available resources for me and any family member accompanying me,but dis my third application my SOA(10k dollars) is more than pervious and my sponsor SOA more than 20k dollars and i paid part of my school fees....now i don't understand anymore. is the age or what ?
i intend to re-apply and change sponsor is it a good idea ?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Carter001(m): 10:14pm On Aug 25, 2016
okechukwu101:
hommie wats good? Have they started attending to Lambton students?
bro same old same old, nothing good from CIC , seems its gonn b january for me
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Carter001(m): 10:18pm On Aug 25, 2016
Galaxymike105:
Oga galaxy abi who you be, last time i checked, you didnt pay my tuition fees for me, so dnt just waltz in here and quote me to yab rubbish...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by atrapon(m): 10:21pm On Aug 25, 2016
nwugon:
just seeing this now,it took them approximately 2 months.
BSc= chemistry education,gcpa=3.64/5,proposed study=masters of education, Senior woman I hope am admissible?....secondly,wen did u apply to REGINA?,wen was d deadline? And wen were u admitted,thank u
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by uvagho(f): 10:38pm On Aug 25, 2016
burrytee:
Sorry guys previous program written on gcms was any designated institution against the field of study.
pls how did u apply and how long .Want to apply..thx.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by okechukwu101: 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2016
[quote author=ebi01 post=48794981][/quote]
It ought to have told you they found an application which matches the details you put in. Haven't you noticed that message? Although you might probably not see your paper application details uploaded in that table
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by justwise(m): 10:47pm On Aug 25, 2016
nwugon:
justwise please I need your help.my admission letter carries my father's name and I intend renewing my passport next month with my husbands name.Hope this is not going to cause any problem when I go for my study permit.what do you advice and between uni Regina and Manitoba which one can you go for?

Not much of an issue as long as you explain that in your application form or in a paper and attach it to your application package.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by jj17cv(m): 10:51pm On Aug 25, 2016
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Galaxymike105: 11:00pm On Aug 25, 2016
Carter001:

Oga galaxy abi who you be, last time i checked, you didnt pay my tuition fees for me, so dnt just waltz in here and quote me to yab rubbish...
you can pay five years tuitions at once for all I care but it is left for them to decide who enters their country and who don't...I see where a lot of ppl come here and say they wrote to Cic and got no reply without giving the details of how that particular message was composed.,bear in mind if you send a commanding message to Cic you'll not be replied and it can ruin your application Coz it simply shows your aggressiveness and how impatient u are,they wouldn't wanna allow such person into their country...that's a psychological test they give to applicants that a lot of ppl don't know....those ppl at the embassy are very smart dudes...oga if you like pay tuition fee tuition,if you like pay five years accommodation at once too? Once your story doesn't look straight to them you'll be denied and it's as simple as that...so don't blab about whether it's by force to do msc or blab about paying tuition fee Coz it doesn't change any damn thing because they didn't force you to apply for an entry to their country....I'm saying this Coz if you're an officer working there at their office you'll have to do work with the way the government ordered them...it's not their fault,every year this ppl map out how many people they need in their country once that number is achieved then nothing more...and this year will be of great news Coz they made it clear to the world that they need a lot of people but that doesn't mean they'll give u visa when your story is not straight...this year Canada is issuing their international passports to different countries and stated how many thousands of people they'll give those passports...it's a very vast country country and they need people but that doesn't mean they'll give their visas anyhow...why do you think most of those that got visa approved are all msc applicants? Your choice of course matters a lot but ppl don't just get it.everybody wants to enter Canada by all means Oya fly nah,go to Canada and acquire riches

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Obizee: 11:02pm On Aug 25, 2016
thesoj:

I'm gonna try to answer you even though your question is still highly confusing and ambiguous. Is your question related to school admission application or TRV application? A police report and medicals are completely irrelevant to your admission or scholarship application so I don't understand why you are bringing them up here (assuming your question is not TRV related, which is my guess). You need to read up on your university/college admission requirements. Also, I suggest you make acquaintance with Google.

Your question on how to go about the motivational letter is extremely open-ended. You need to learn to do your own research without expecting someone else to tell you everything that you need to do. I am not trying to harsh, but your repeatedly vague questions show that you need to start doing research for yourself so you can ask more precise and informed questions. Anyways, I have no clue what a "scholarship apprenticeship" application is so you maybe if you want help you should give a brief description of what it is. In any case, go to this UC Berkeley link to read up on what a statement of purpose should address, and then modify the advice to fit your intended program and its context.

I have no clue about what documents you need to submit. Don't Mohawk College and Canadore College have websites that enumerate what documents you need to submit??

I'm very sorry that I can't accept your PM request. You can easily find answers to the questions you ask from your school website. You will get better with using Google if you start using it to do your own research. After finding some of the useful information that you might need, then I (or any of the other gurus on the thread) would be very glad to help you with more specific questions. Best.
Thanks alot @ thesoj duely noted....
a scholarship apprencetice program is a program recently introduced by this universities i mentioned to recruit handy scholars who study the handwork under them atleast for 8 mnths to a year, at the end they write an assessment exam, if you pass the exam you get placements from companies by the school in that sector. Programs may include carpentry,farming ,childcare services,stylist,fashion design.e.t.c. After you have chosen here among the best you get confirmation by the school to go apply for a TRV. thanks again @ thesoj appreciate
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by justwise(m): 11:16pm On Aug 25, 2016
thesoj:

Justwise, I'll have to partially disagree with you here and agree with @zeongeon. Where I agree with you is that a course that shows no progression would likely lead to a visa denial because it shows that the applicant is probably not a genuine student but just an intending immigrant.

Where I would disagree with you is your point that college programs (e.g. PGD/PGC) are not a progression after a bachelors degree. I think you reach this conclusion because you are looking from a UK/US perspective. Canadian college programs at the PGC/PGD levels are specifically geared towards applicants already with a degree (or a previous diploma in some cases) and they teach different skillsets than masters or PhD programs.

Additionally, they provide an opportunity for the student (who already has a bachelors degree) to obtain practical skills and training that s/he may not obtain from a masters program. Keep in mind that masters programs are generally more focused on concepts and theory as opposed to college programs which spin out candidates that are probably job-ready from day one. The advantage of masters programs is that they make the student more adaptable to any job (in his/her general field of study) because they provide the student a very strong theoretical, conceptual, and (sometimes) research background.

Personally I have no "emotional investment" in this topic because I am more of a BSc/MSc/PhD kind of guy (and I think they are in general more marketable/valuable), but with the right course PGC/PGD programs are certainly a progression from a BSc. Having said all these, visa officers are probably automatically suspicious of college applicants in general because admission to these programs is generally very easy unlike masters programs which usually require letters of recommendations, mailed transcripts, a good statement of purpose, etc. Masters programs also take months before issuing an admission, whereas college programs admit in days! Nonetheless, the ease of admission doesn't mean that the programs are not a valuable progression of study for many applicants.

This is certainly not the case. PGD/PGC means post-graduate so you can only be admitted to such courses if you have a bachelors degree or HND (and OND in some cases). These requirements are clearly spelled out on the websites of most/all colleges.

I have two siblings in Canada, one in a MSc program and another in a PGD program (both of whom got to Canada this January). The one in the PGD program already has a co-op and an interview for a full-time job. Three of us agree that the PGD was the better fit for him, given his skills and immediate interests. Of course, the one in the MSc program is also learning a whole lot and it is the best fit for her.

I don't think you read my post properly or understand the arguments here.

Courses are not designed only for Nigerians or other African countries who will require a visa to enter Canada, immigration-wise.. degree to PGD/PGC is not a natural progression, its a shortcut to immigration.

You don't need PGD/PGC to get into Msc when you have a degree and you will struggle to convince Canadian embassy that of all the courses offered by universities and colleges that you only see PGD/PGC ones.

You choose a course and at a level that shows natural progression and gives you a better chance of getting a study permit
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by justwise(m): 11:19pm On Aug 25, 2016
shinarambo1:

pgc and pgdip are usually designed for international student by the schools in ontario. Its a source of income for ontario colleges. it does not lead to msc prog.When one moves outside ontario, it becomes almost useless. Even someone said it in a post above..i think onyeama, that most grads of diploma find it hard to get pr.. the cutoff score released yesterday for express entry was over 500. most msc grads wont even qualify with such high score . Some pgc and pgdip have been fortunate to get good jobs due to their years of experience in IT from back home(if in an IT career). Pgc and pgdip in canada can be related to msc from low rated uni in the uk. Atleast, uk msc leads to phd but pgc n pgdip does not.

In Canada, the natural progession is high school, diploma(2 or 3 years), degree, masters and phd.

That is always the case which why they are quick to dish out admission to foreign students just to increase revenue but the embassy sees things differently.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Carter001(m): 11:29pm On Aug 25, 2016
Galaxymike105:
you can pay five years tuitions at once for all I care but it is left for them to decide who enters their country and who don't...I see where a lot of ppl come here and say they wrote to Cic and got no reply without giving the details of how that particular message was composed.,bear in mind if you send a commanding message to Cic you'll not be replied and it can ruin your application Coz it simply shows your aggressiveness and how impatient u are,they wouldn't wanna allow such person into their country...that's a psychological test they give to applicants that a lot of ppl don't know....those ppl at the embassy are very smart dudes...oga if you like pay tuition fee tuition,if you like pay five years accommodation at once too? Once your story doesn't look straight to them you'll be denied and it's as simple as that...so don't blab about whether it's by force to do msc or blab about paying tuition fee Coz it doesn't change any damn thing because they didn't force you to apply for an entry to their country....I'm saying this Coz if you're an officer working there at their office you'll have to do work with the way the government ordered them...it's not their fault,every year this ppl map out how many people they need in their country once that number is achieved then nothing more...and this year will be of great news Coz they made it clear to the world that they need a lot of people but that doesn't mean they'll give u visa when your story is not straight...this year Canada is issuing their international passports to different countries and stated how many thousands of people they'll give those passports...it's a very vast country country and they need people but that doesn't mean they'll give their visas anyhow...why do you think most of those that got visa approved are all msc applicants? Your choice of course matters a lot but ppl don't just get it.everybody wants to enter Canada by all means Oya fly nah,go to Canada and acquire riches

e ma gbami kee!!!... WTF is wrong with this dude , i'd seriously advise u to shut up, just because you got admission for Msc doesn't mean everyone else should do the same thing....don't come here and start acting like a VO.....abeg oga dont quote me again ..dey ur lane

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by Sassyp(m): 11:46pm On Aug 25, 2016
@ymc007 hi again,how have u been and hows preparations to move?hope all is going on well.
i wanted to ask a few questions about applying to dalhousie uni for health informatics MSC.
what supporting documents do i need for my application and do i apply online or do a paper application for the admission?

i hope to hear from u soon...thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by thesoj: 12:07am On Aug 26, 2016
justwise:
I don't think you read my post properly or understand the arguments here.
I did bro. I am wondering if you read mine properly too. But its ok. grin

justwise:
Courses are not designed only for Nigerians or other African countries who will require a visa to enter Canada, immigration-wise.. degree to PGD/PGC is not a natural progression, its a shortcut to immigration.
Yes I strongly agree that courses are not designed only for Nigerians or Africans to enter Canada immigration wise. As a matter of fact, CIC probably sees that too many Nigerian applicants are trying to use the PGD/PGC system as a fast way to get into Canada. But this doesn't simultaneously imply that PGC/PGD programs can not be a natural academic progression for some students.

On what basis would a PGD/PGC (after a bachelors) not be a natural progression? Your response implies that everybody must get an MSc after a BSc, and that this is the only natural progression. I respectfully disagree, and the data points imply otherwise (e.g. PGD program admission requirements and course contents, CIC's historical issuance of visas to PGD/PGC applicants).

justwise:
You don't need PGD/PGC to get into Msc when you have a degree and you will struggle to convince Canadian embassy that of all the courses offered by universities and colleges that you only see PGD/PGC ones.
I see your point, but a PGC/PGD in some cases is the best program for some applicants. Your response implies that most PGD/PGC applicants (for Canada specifically) apply to such courses on the way to get an MSc, but from my observations on this thread it doesn't seem to be the case. Additionally, PGD/PGC courses in Canada can themselves be (and are often) terminal courses. Your point implies that a PGD/PGC without a masters is useless, I (and I'm sure many of the Canadian employers who hire PGC/PGD graduates) would disagree with this.

justwise:
You choose a course and at a level that shows natural progression and gives you a better chance of getting a study permit
This is where we might converge. I too think it is troubling that too many applicants see the PGD/PGC as a quick shortcut to apply for a TRV. I generally would advice anyone to get an MSc instead of a PGD/PGC but I also do recognize that PGD/PGC programs are in some cases the best or even only option for some applicants. CIC has been giving TRVs to PGD/PGC applicants for years, and there hasn't been an issue of "progression" with these programs (until now of course). That CIC may be of recent scrutinizing PGD/PGC applicants doesn't change the fact that these programs are still a natural academic progression from a BSc (in many cases).

All in all, I agree with you that MSc and PhD programs have a much better chance of TRV given that the applicant's intent is automatically more credible.

9 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by kisstaye(m): 12:37am On Aug 26, 2016
[quote author=justwise post=48800940]

Applying for PGC/PGD wit
hahahahahaha.. bros na wah Oo give d guy small hope na. Oo boy u dey yarn Oo take am easy abeg
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by kisstaye(m): 12:39am On Aug 26, 2016
justwise:

hahahahahaha.. bros na wah Oo give d guy small hope na. Oo boy u dey yarn Oo take am easy abeg
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 10 by akom0908(m): 12:49am On Aug 26, 2016
Hello, am new here.I just graduated with CGPA of 3.0 and I want to travel to Canada for my masters,can I travel for the masters with that CGPA and if I cant is there other method I can travel to the country.Pls I need reply soonest

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) ... (403)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / UK Spouse Visa/Appeal Process-part2 / Travelling To Canada Part 9

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.