Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,081 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) (15959 Views)

Nigerians Queue For Fuel With Their Generator Sets In Lagos (Photos) / Watch Kachikwu Explains Subsidy Removal As Against Osinbanjo Who Lied / Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by just2okworld(f): 12:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
I need data to watch this na
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Sijo01(f): 12:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
When will booohari do same? Or him na minister of petroleum for paper? Is he not suppose to act
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by dokunbam(m): 12:04pm On Apr 07, 2016
vedaxcool:
Reasons Kachkikwu identifed

1. Insufficient Forex, largely due to massive looting of Jonathan lead administration and a massive fall in the price of oil

2. Pipeline vandalism, by the criminal network of tompolo who is an outlaw hiding from the law

3. Poor distribution network, which has caused systemic challenges, transporting millions of litres of fuel by road is a major inefficiency being faced in the sector.

4. The need to nudge the oil majors into taking a more major role in the down stream sector

1 Like

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Paulchris(m): 12:05pm On Apr 07, 2016
Today's happening are the prophecy of African China coming into reality

1 Like

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Sochimaobim(m): 12:05pm On Apr 07, 2016
And u expect me to use my hard earned mb to watch what'er it is he is saying?? No way! Let them just shut the f up and start doing sth. Am tired of this govt already. smh
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by AntiWailer: 12:09pm On Apr 07, 2016
There is hope.
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by veraponpo(m): 12:11pm On Apr 07, 2016
omohayek:
Now, this is what a competent official sounds like! It's clear that Kachikwu fully understands the problems affecting fuel supply in Nigeria, as well as the solutions required to deal with the issue once and for all.

Unfortunately, it's also clear that the policy preferences of his boss (aka the Minister of Petroleum, aka the Junketer in Chief) have made what was already a bad situation even worse: Buhari is to blame for cancelling the contract with Tompolo which has led to an upsurge in vandalism, Buhari is to blame for a ridiculous FX policy which has brought domestic business to its knees, and Buhari is to blame for refusing to listen to Kachikwu when he first suggested privatizing and deregulating several months ago.

And just for the record, I say all of the above as neither an APC nor a PDP supporter. Jonathan's regime was rife with corruption, and his lack of decisiveness allowed Boko Haram to grow from a local nuisance into a huge menace; as such, it's perfectly understandable why the majority of voters should have wanted him out of office. The pity for Nigeria is that the only alternative to Jonathan was a stubborn old economic illiterate who is convinced that he can run an entire country's economy along the same 'command and control' lines he learned in the army.

If Buhari persists in his current course of action, he risks turning the country into another Venezuela or Zimbabwe, and those who are currently crying "bring back corruption" will start to sound all too reasonable to the majority of Nigerians.

So you, as a reasonable Nigerian, expect a good government to be at the mercy of Tompolo a known criminal?

Will you prefer a situation where a select few dictate for the government what to do, how to do and for whom to do to having the full presence of the government everywhere?

Will you like to see some people operating as people that are above the law?

The best decision is what PMB has taken. Let everybody fear the state and its laws Tompolo inclusive. Nobody should be seen as being untouchable in any clime.

Whatever that action of revoking Tompolo's contract has caused is temporal, in the long run, Nigerians will celebrate because things will work out as expected.

Boko Haram is going down gradually, who could have thought of such? High level corruption cases are also getting down, others too will follow suit soon.

7 Likes

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by AfroKnight: 12:14pm On Apr 07, 2016
You see? Militants are destroying pipelines more than in the past administration. Importers deliberately decided to create scarcity. These events are not unrelated. Only one party stands to gain from this.

3 Likes

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by vidi88(m): 12:19pm On Apr 07, 2016
tbaba1234:
Minister of State for petroleum gave a detailed explanation about the fuel problem on his Facebook page. He explained the reasons and what has been done. He pointed out the short term, mid term and long term solutions.

It is an interesting video.

After listening to the video, i think the biggest problem of this government is communication.

http://www.facebook.com/IbeKachikwu/videos/793045980826982/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ijMONeXnK4

1 Share

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by dyn1800: 12:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
LOL YOU WAN KILL THE GUY?

989900:

Did you watch the video?

If you did, why is the above your opinion?

And, in his shoes, what better approach would you have pursued?

1 Like

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Eruditor: 12:35pm On Apr 07, 2016
PapaBrowne:
Interesting video.

From all indications the cause of the Fuel scarcity is clear. If you listened carefully, you'd understand the real reason why it was so easy for Jonathan to provide us fuel and it's been so difficult for Buhari to do same.

Kachichukwu's 3 undertones.

1)We(NNPC) shouldn't have attempted to go it(importation) alone.
Buhari assumed that NNPC can supply all our fuel needs so he decided to discontinue supply relationship with importers by frustrating their forex demands. He wanted NNPC to do all the importation but forgot to determine first whether they had the capability to execute such a monumental charge. It's like deciding the government would now be responsible for bread supply in the country without first determining if they know the flour suppliers, whether they have enough bakers and things like that.

2)Pipeline vandalism.
Kachichukwu said there has been more pipeline vandalism this year alone than there was in the last 3 years combined. And this has affected terribly fuel supply logistics.
Well I wouldn't say anything here besides the fact that the tompolo pipeline contract suddenly looks like it was the wiser step afterall since whoever is now guarding those pipelines are failing terribly where Tompolo succeeded.

3)Returning to the Jonathan strategy-
Kachichukwu has admitted that the NNPC cannot do this importation thing alone. So same as Jonathan did, they are now deciding to let the private sector get in on importation again.

Truth be told, Buhari's assumption that what worked in the 70s would work today is what is largely responsible for the troubles we are finding ourselves. The earlier Buhari allows his minister their freedom to operate, the faster we would get out of the mess we are facing.

I advice NLders to be careful with this post. If you have a glass of potable water that is mixed with a tinge of cyanide, will you allow a child to drink it simply because the cyanide is in far less quantity than the water? That is the summary of this post above.

1. Kachichukwu never said it was a govt policy for NNPC to import PMS alone, but that govt was forced there because the private marketers couldn't meet up due to FX shortages.

2. Tompolo anything was nothing close to reasonable or sane. There was still pipeline vandalism when GEJ or Tompolo held sway which was worse to bear because they were being paid heftily to prevent it.

3. Lies. Nothing of the sort was said or alluded to. Absolutely nothing. Kachichukwu said the private Upstream big boys are being implored to help provide FX and creativity to help with downstream.

4 Likes

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Eruditor: 12:37pm On Apr 07, 2016
AfroKnight:
You see? Militants are destroying pipelines more than in the past administration. Importers deliberately decided to create scarcity. These events are not unrelated. Only one party stands to gain from this.

Very plausible.
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by PROPHETmichael: 12:42pm On Apr 07, 2016
Kachikwu thinks he is a social science lecturer in a university of fools and horses. What kind of rubbish is he going about saying? He should
shut up for once and stop contradicting himself with every attempt to make himself look wise. What we want is petroleum minister not
petroleum lecturer.

This man is not telling us the truth and it is very sad to listen to him, a seemingly intelligent man, taking no prisoners in deceiving the nation. I don't give a monkey where he comes from but in any sane society he and Buhari should have resigned their positions in the oil ministry.
Last week he came out and said the scarcity will continue till may. When pushed, he changed to two weeks and subsequently to yesterday(in abuja and Lagos). So does he actually know what he is talking about?
Then today he is talking about forex, for God's sake when crude was $9 per barrel and we had $3b in our reserve there was no forex crisis. Why are these guys manufacturing problems for the masses in the name of politics?
He reduced the price of fuel in January and now he wants to revise that because, even before the reduction he knew he was deceiving people. How can you set a price for a commodity people buy from open market without subsidy and you think it will work? It is absolute nonsense. You tell Nigerians that pump price of petrol will be N70 and a marketer buys petrol from Russia at N90, how can he sell it at N70? Is he a magician?
In my own humble opinion, since:-
(1) We have no senate anymore
(2) No judiciary anymore
(3) No coherent opposition anymore

I think it is time to protest for the resignation of the following people:-
1. The minister of petroleum-Buhari
2. The minister of state for petroleum- Kachikwu
And,
3. The GMD of NNPC.
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by modath(f): 12:43pm On Apr 07, 2016
989900:

[i]I think Kachikwu and NNPC, the fed.minister of petroleum (Buhari), and the FEC., need to have a 1 week long workshop with petroleum investors (both foreign and local) on the direction the government is headed as regards (modular refineries, major private refineries, gov't refineries, pipelines, depots, security, and e.t.c.)

Then the ministry can make a positively-informed-bold-decision.

It's crazy having to truck tens of millions of litres of 'imported fuel' bought with scarce forex in 2016 -- it will never be a long term solution!

Same thing I told one of my friends who called to harass me about "The State Of The Nation".... opined that even if crude oil price should go up now, it's a double edged sword as our increased earnings will be "swallowed" by subsidy on "Imported" PMS!!

We ended the discuss with the usual trade blaming & both bellyaching about lack of refineries & lack of other viable income earners!!

This country is in a massive "septic tank" sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Mackson01: 12:49pm On Apr 07, 2016
Nigeria will sail thru this in Jesus name. Kachichukwu and Buhari dey try . To change a system no easy but it will be foolish for Nigeria to keep going the way it was headed for doom b4. There is light at the end of the tunnel

2 Likes

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Sistem007(m): 12:55pm On Apr 07, 2016
vedaxcool:

Lies upon lies to lift the ineffectual..... cv in failure is plain sickening. When did Kachikwu said NNPC attempted to lift petrol alone? He said, the marketers deliberately reduced their importation due to shortage of forex, what point, did Buhari ever told you that he wants NNPC to be sole supplier of petroleum? It is this sort of lies you use in fooling yourselves for 16 yrs till we drove you people away!

Oga ur English is heart breaking #Chisos...If u must talk then make sure u r lucid.
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by stuhporh: 12:56pm On Apr 07, 2016
caprini1:
Yes I watched the video,and Ibe is a good orator,but I refuse to be swayed by his lyrics...the balance of the 40% of product by importers to supplement what NNPC produces,did not come partly by lack of forex for importers.........oh please!.....knowing that everything runs on fuel,why not make special provisions for them?....On payments of subsidy,why not negotiate better and at least keep the fuel coming,than wait before it became like a tussle between marketers.

Lol, you must think this is a mere buy, sell and give me change process. meanwhile you need to watch that video again and understand what he is saying bro

1 Like

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by stuhporh: 1:02pm On Apr 07, 2016
PapaBrowne:
Interesting video.

From all indications the cause of the Fuel scarcity is clear. If you listened carefully, you'd understand the real reason why it was so easy for Jonathan to provide us fuel and it's been so difficult for Buhari to do same.

Kachichukwu's 3 undertones.

1)We(NNPC) shouldn't have attempted to go it(importation) alone.
Buhari assumed that NNPC can supply all our fuel needs so he decided to discontinue supply relationship with importers by frustrating their forex demands. He wanted NNPC to do all the importation but forgot to determine first whether they had the capability to execute such a monumental charge. It's like deciding the government would now be responsible for bread supply in the country without first determining if they know the flour suppliers, whether they have enough bakers and things like that.

2)Pipeline vandalism.
Kachichukwu said there has been more pipeline vandalism this year alone than there was in the last 3 years combined. And this has affected terribly fuel supply logistics.
Well I wouldn't say anything here besides the fact that the tompolo pipeline contract suddenly looks like it was the wiser step afterall since whoever is now guarding those pipelines are failing terribly where Tompolo succeeded.

3)Returning to the Jonathan strategy-
Kachichukwu has admitted that the NNPC cannot do this importation thing alone. So same as Jonathan did, they are now deciding to let the private sector get in on importation again.

Truth be told, Buhari's assumption that what worked in the 70s would work today is what is largely responsible for the troubles we are finding ourselves. The earlier Buhari allows his minister their freedom to operate, the faster we would get out of the mess we are facing.

is it the same video we watched? if you understand that him, you will know that the genesis of the problem is as a result of subsidy owed to marketers which they managed to pay part of it by november, and it was too late at the time because forex already became very limited. what are you saying.

Marketers whom are suppose to do the 60% balance couldnt because of limited forex, NNPC had to be responsible for 80%, Ibe was able to get some forex approval for marketers to ease the stress as nnpc can not do it alone. and now vessels are coming in. (short term)

Pipeline vandalism affects the local supply from our facililites, and am sure you heard all they have achived within one year that you GEJ didnt smell of starting.

Nawa o, if i didnt watch and listen t the man now, i would have believed your meticulous write up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by LordVoldemort(m): 1:04pm On Apr 07, 2016
PROPHETmichael:
Kachikwu thinks he is a social science lecturer in a university of fools and horses. What kind of rubbish is he going about saying? He should
shut up for once and stop contradicting himself with every attempt to make himself look wise. What we want is petroleum minister not
petroleum lecturer.

This man is not telling us the truth and it is very sad to listen to him, a seemingly intelligent man, taking no prisoners in deceiving the nation. I don't give a monkey where he comes from but in any sane society he and Buhari should have resigned their positions in the oil ministry.
Last week he came out and said the scarcity will continue till may. When pushed, he changed to two weeks and subsequently to yesterday(in abuja and Lagos). So does he actually know what he is talking about?
Then today he is talking about forex, for God's sake when crude was $9 per barrel and we had $3b in our reserve there was no forex crisis. Why are these guys manufacturing problems for the masses in the name of politics?
He reduced the price of fuel in January and now he wants to revise that because, even before the reduction he knew he was deceiving people. How can you set a price for a commodity people buy from open market without subsidy and you think it will work? It is absolute nonsense. You tell Nigerians that pump price of petrol will be N70 and a marketer buys petrol from Russia at N90, how can he sell it at N70? Is he a magician?
(2) No judiciary anymore

And,
3. The GMD of NNPC.

And who told you it was oil money that made the bulk of the foreign reserve then? Cocoa business was still alive then and corruption was still a baby like you then. I expect you to say rubbish cos you lack knowlegde

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by jzdoberman: 1:06pm On Apr 07, 2016
Interesting
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by snipesdam(m): 1:06pm On Apr 07, 2016
Guys did you hear him say Transformation Agender? I like him for these words not change....
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by POLICECAP: 1:11pm On Apr 07, 2016
omohayek:
Now, this is what a competent official sounds like! It's clear that Kachikwu fully understands the problems affecting fuel supply in Nigeria, as well as the solutions required to deal with the issue once and for all.

Unfortunately, it's also clear that the policy preferences of his boss (aka the Minister of Petroleum, aka the Junketer in Chief) have made what was already a bad situation even worse: Buhari is to blame for cancelling the contract with Tompolo which has led to an upsurge in vandalism, Buhari is to blame for a ridiculous FX policy which has brought domestic business to its knees, and Buhari is to blame for refusing to listen to Kachikwu when he first suggested privatizing and deregulating several months ago.

And just for the record, I say all of the above as neither an APC nor a PDP supporter. Jonathan's regime was rife with corruption, and his lack of decisiveness allowed Boko Haram to grow from a local nuisance into a huge menace; as such, it's perfectly understandable why the majority of voters should have wanted him out of office. The pity for Nigeria is that the only alternative to Jonathan was a stubborn old economic illiterate who is convinced that he can run an entire country's economy along the same 'command and control' lines he learned in the army.

If Buhari persists in his current course of action, he risks turning the country into another Venezuela or Zimbabwe, and those who are currently crying "bring back corruption" will start to sound all too reasonable to the majority of Nigerians.

Nice post! Devoid of biased sentiment
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by vedaxcool(m): 1:14pm On Apr 07, 2016
[s]
omohayek:

And you know my career how, exactly? Keep your blind, content-free, stupidly partisan apologetics for total economic incompetence to yourself.
[/s]

eyaah clap for yourself for your minimal intelligence only intriguing buffoons and imbeci1es
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by frfrank(m): 1:18pm On Apr 07, 2016
3.22 Did i hear him say "transformation agenda"

i tot they are change disciples.

#bringbackourfuel
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 07, 2016
enlightenedmind:

Why dont they have the capacity? So why do they exist then? What is their purpose if they cannot meet the capacity of the sector they were created to manage? Why do they get paid so much? Please do your jobs. No one cares really what Buhari did. Why were we importing fuel? So what has NNPC been doing for 16 years? Collecting importation loot. Please do ur jobs.
He did not create nnpc, he came to meet the system messed up, tho am not happy wit the current situation but I believe kachikwu is capable. And from the way u talk u don't kw anything abt nnpc.

1 Like

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by 989900: 1:27pm On Apr 07, 2016
modath:

Same thing I told one of my friends who called to harass me about "The State Of The Nation".... Asked if even crude oil price should go up now, it's a double edged sword as our increased earnings will be "swallowed" by subsidy on "Imported" PMS!!

We ended the discuss with the usual trade blaming & both bellyaching about lack of refineries & lack of other viable income earners!!

This country is in massive "septic tank" sad

The emboldened is the foundation of 30% of our economic problems as a nation -- Venezuela has similar issues too.

The gains of higher Brent price will be swallowed by subsidy, and excess liquidity sponsored by silly monetary policies and bankers greed.

We will never progress as a nation unless we stop importing refined products and fix power (which are both kinda married together in the larger scheme of things); if we like, we can buy Naija till Armageddon . . . this is a country of 170 million fuel guzzling population, with no power supply, and refined fuel smuggling issues to neighbouring countries (we'r subsidizing and 'forexing' the other nations around us too).

If Singapore (5 million population) with little or no oil, refines over 1 milion barrels/day, and Japan with all the earthquakes and tsunamis refines over 4.5million barrels/day, then we have a problem -- I mean, we should be refining all the 2.2 million barrels that we produce and more -- exporting refined products only.

No, we can't even refine a third of the 445,000 barrels that's allocated to NNPC daily -- we threw our country, our lives, our future, our kids future, our prosperity to the dogs (the cabals), we let them own this country and dictate at will, we then go to church to pray for prosperity by proxy a la 'miracles' . . . LoL.

God gave us brains, but we just don't use it. We let selfishness, tribalism, religion, irrelevancies, and laziness impoverish us.

I wrote this: https://www.nairaland.com/2949997/dollar-vs-naira-done some weeks ago, I don't know if you saw it:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by 989900: 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2016
PROPHETmichael:
petroleum lecturer.

(2) No judiciary anymore

And,
3. The GMD of NNPC.

Well said.

However, when crude was $9/barrel and we had $3b reserves, we were less than 100 million in population (needed lesser fuel and power supply, lesser Guccis, Armanis, and toothpicks . . . lol), had working refineries (we didn't have to use 40% of our forex to import what is mined in our 'dormot') that in the early 90s was making close to 200 million dollars between 1990-1992 in exported refined product!

1 Like

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by mevisbleek: 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2016
989900:

Did you watch the video?

If you did, why is the above your opinion?

And, in his shoes, what better approach would you have pursued?

I'm mesmerized by Kachukwu's eloquence and detailed analysis of the issue at hand. This dude is super smart and I believe that he will deliver. He is doing Nigeria a favour by working at NNPC after taking a pay cut.

We Nigerians are so used to been led by dull people. We have a very bad mentality in this country which makes it hard to govern this country.

Even Obama will have a hard time governing this country. Jesus might even resign after 48hrs if asked to govern us.

2 Likes

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by ojomoos(m): 1:55pm On Apr 07, 2016
Has anyone noticed that this Man's best word is ''price modulation''
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by King44(m): 2:35pm On Apr 07, 2016
Fuel and Gold?? no difference
Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Jorussia(m): 3:04pm On Apr 07, 2016
Dr Ibe is a very brilliant man.I don't have any doubt about his ability to transform our oil sector. He only needs to always plan ahead of any new introduction into the system, so as to avoid this present national embarrassment. Another thing that i must emphasize,is that kachichukwu must stop romancing with PDP leaders(esp gov okowa).He must start seeing himself as an APC man,or else, we(APC men from Niger Delta) will frustrate him out of office.

1 Like

Re: Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 07, 2016
And some Buhari zombies will still blame pdp and be shouting sai Buhari...some people's stupidity has become a generational curse embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sheriff Rejects Bot Proposals On Fresh Convention / N200bn Unpaid Salaries: Federal Civil Servants Threaten Indefinite Strike / Mamman Daura: I Don't Dictate To The President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.