Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,063 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? (57104 Views)

10 Cars That Are Powered By The Engine Of Another Manufacturer / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? / 1.5L, 1.8L, 3.0L Engine? What Do They Mean In Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by ashala(m): 9:58am On Apr 17, 2016
Nice one
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by chccho(m): 10:00am On Apr 17, 2016
gmyguy:
2.5litre V5 nko
Those are mostly VW engines and they are not lined up in V-shape but rather they are In lined.. E. G volkswagen Jetta/Golf... There is nothing like V5

1 Like

Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by predatorX: 10:11am On Apr 17, 2016
Basic physics: work = force x distance

Thermodynamically ; work = pressure x volume

Power = work output / time taken

The number of pistons and cylinders an engine has does not necessarily determine the work, and apparent power of the engine.

What does are the variables of manifold pressure and volume. So long as the universal stoichiometric ratio of 14.7 : 1 air/fuel ratio is obeyed

An in-line 4-cyl engine with an air compressor can generate more hp than a v6 engine
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Baalelikeoba: 10:12am On Apr 17, 2016
See question.... it is very simple nah :only 2.4Litres of a genuine petrol will fill the car tank.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by predatorX: 10:22am On Apr 17, 2016
cr7lomo:
The countries that produces conspicuous and distinct piece of engineering are
Germany: Mercedes
. BMW
. maybach
. Volkswagen that manufactures' Porsche, Audi, scoda,

Italy : Ferrari
. Maserati
. Lamborghini
. Bugatti

USA: ford
. Cadillac
. Chevrolet
. Lincoln
. dodge

England: range rover
. rolls Royce
. jaguar
. Aston martin

Others are for the masses but those mentioned above are the pinnacle of engineering

Just so you know, you don't know what you are saying.

The Japs were the ones who brought about the revolutionary V-shaped engine arrangements that the rest of Europe and Americans have adapted in their designs. With BMW being the only exception till now.

And please subscribe to Schotty Kilmers YouTube channel to understand why.

Na yo type go talk say Benz better pass Tesla
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Kakamorufu(m): 10:33am On Apr 17, 2016
Thanks 4 the enlightenment
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by autofreak1(m): 10:47am On Apr 17, 2016
Baalelikeoba:
See question.... it is very simple nah :only 2.4Litres of a genuine petrol will fill the car tank.

You joking, right?

1 Like

Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Emmiee28(m): 10:52am On Apr 17, 2016
2.4 L of fuel 4 every mile..
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by cr7lomo: 10:59am On Apr 17, 2016
davodyguy:

Its plagiarism.

I'm sure you too probably don't really understand the meaning of plagiarism. He published a post on Nairaland that belongs to another person, without him putting the source at the bottom of the post.

Show me the post or FO and still that ain't plagiarism... Comprehend
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by cr7lomo: 11:02am On Apr 17, 2016
predatorX:

The Japs were the ones who brought about the revolutionary V-shaped engine arrangements that the rest of Europe and Americans have adapted in their designs. With BMW being the only exception till now.

Asian cars are crap compared to these monsters... Presidents , royalties, powerful businessmen and top celebs wunt be caught in them
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by gazmann(m): 11:04am On Apr 17, 2016
moscobabs:

Op my Quest 2000 model (v6) is 4.0 pls what do I need to know about it

You drive quite a big engine 4000 cc the pistons goes up and down a cyl . Like some carsbhave 4 ,6,8 cyls. With varying diameters. The bigger the piston and cyl the more power they generate to turn the cranshaft that spins the engine . In trucks like the DAF 75 one of its cyl has a cubit capacity of anbintire 4cyls in a corrola. You got quite a big engine inbyour quest
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 17, 2016
segzicres:
Nice 1. I use a v4 engine; 2.4l when I checked the specs online. Im still shocked cause it's a 2001 nissan altima, looks small but really it moves and it's pushy.
sometimes I consciously have to use my toe to push the accelerator to reduce speed
laughing, u are just driving right?

1 Like

Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by dragnet: 11:12am On Apr 17, 2016
autofreak1:

These VW engines are referred to as H4 or flat 4. The pistons and cylinders were arranged horizontally hence the "H" or "Flat" term.

Picture shows an example of a Flat 4 or H4. You can see it actually has the "H" shape.

thanks
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by gazmann(m): 11:12am On Apr 17, 2016
pilarnig:
tongue embarassedgood to know, I thought the 2.4l was the amount of oil the engine can carry... now I know better

2.4 ltrs or 2400 cc is the sum of the diameter of the cyls present in an engine. Like a v6 3.0 litre accord has 6 cyls of .5ltrs each. Each of the cyl has a piston attached to the crankshaft. .on combustion the explosion pushes down the piston which in turn turns the crankshaft that roatates the engine. The total size of the cyl determines the torque the engine produces.

1 Like

Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by gazmann(m): 11:15am On Apr 17, 2016
pilarnig:
tongue embarassedgood to know, I thought the 2.4l was the amount of oil the engine can carry... now I know better

2.4 ltrs or 2400 cc is the sum of the diameter of the cyls present in an engine. Like a v6 3.0 litre accord has 6 cyls of .5ltrs each. Each of the cyl has a piston attached to the crankshaft. .on combustion the explosion pushes down the piston which in turn turns the crankshaft that roatates the engine. The total size of the cyl determines the torque the engine produces. The gearbox conneccted to the engine converts the torque produce by the engine to motion via the propellers.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by davodyguy: 11:21am On Apr 17, 2016
cr7lomo:

Show me the post or FO and still that ain't plagiarism... Comprehend
You need to improve your comprehension skills, if any at all
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Leeeekeeee: 11:32am On Apr 17, 2016
What of us wey dey drive L2(leggedes 2 cylinder)
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by uboma(m): 11:34am On Apr 17, 2016
cr7lomo:
Nice one op... I love the metabolism of engineering piece in cars... Girls will find this topic boring... They only thing they know is how to enter fine car but no knowledge of it

You be surprised that there are ladies who know more about cars and are more interested about automobiles than you.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by uboma(m): 11:36am On Apr 17, 2016
bigass:
So what does 2.4L means because I didn't see it in the explanation

This is where op copied from

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100706073133AArXK3F

op has been busted...
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Jacko1(m): 11:46am On Apr 17, 2016
See me that wanted to buy camaro dat davido is using

In this kain hard times

Toyota here i come
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by olabode89(m): 11:48am On Apr 17, 2016
Coldfaya:

ya there. but hey, we all copy and paste one way or the other

I don't agree Sir.... when someone copies something from another source he/she should include the source and reference properly. Plagiarism is an offence!
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by victorazy(m): 11:57am On Apr 17, 2016
emi14:

Forget. Guy you don't know like me.

Bros I know!

I started using car since 2009 and most of my friends na mechanics. Sometimes when I am not at work I sit with them and learn from them, I ask them questions.

Ask me question corning car problems and I will give u the answer now.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by emi14: 12:19pm On Apr 17, 2016
victorazy:

Bros I know!

I started using car since 2009 and most of my friends na mechanics. Sometimes when I am not at work I sit with them and learn from them, I ask them questions.

Ask me question corning car problems and I will give u the answer now.

Ok bro. Thanks for your humble response.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by nomoless: 12:47pm On Apr 17, 2016
Damiiron:
are you asking us or enlightening us?.. because your topic title
getting ur attention
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by cr7lomo: 1:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
uboma:

You be surprised that there are ladies who know more about cars and are more interested about automobiles than you.

Its an open forum...bring on the challenge
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 17, 2016
victorazy:

Horse Power (strength of the engine)

The 2.4L in this case means the swept volume of the cylinders. In layman's terms, the engine has 4 bores in the block, and 4 pistons that rise and fall, compressing the fuel / air mixture. The space at which this takes place is measured in litres or cubic inches. In this case 2.4 litres.

It is not the engine output in horsepower or kilowatts, although it is linked.

1 Like

Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
cr7lomo:

How is it plagiarism...is he making money of it or taking credit?? His not a blogger or neither does he operate a website on this, his just educating the ignorant

Brother, lifting blocks of text, and pasting it elsewhere without acknowledging the original source, is known as plagiarism, regardless of if it's done with or without profit in mind.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 17, 2016
MartialArt2:
That's the car engine capacity. The higher the capacity, the more powerful it becomes and more fuel consumption, the car can travel longer distance. But the lower the capacity, the less powerful it becomes and fuel efficient, this can't travel longer.

Generally true, but not always the case.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
chccho:

Those are mostly VW engines and they are not lined up in V-shape but rather they are In lined.. E. G volkswagen Jetta/Golf... There is nothing like V5
super-duber performance...did a 210km/hr smoking a i4 accord and a lexus small car...??model once, although the lex had 4 occupants and i was d only passenger in mine, so maybe thats y
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 17, 2016
dragnet:

how about Volkswagen's beetle and vanagon bus? with 2 cylinders on each side of the engine block.

H4 (Horizontally-Opposed 4 Cylinder.
Flat 4.
Boxer 4.

2 Likes

Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 17, 2016
chccho:

There are. Loads too.
Re: What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Apr 17, 2016
predatorX:

The first V engine was built by Daimler around 1890.
By 1900 or thereabouts, (I need to go back to my old, moth-eaten books to confirm exact date here) Société Antoinette began mass producing V8 engines.

Going by the names here, none of these manufacturers were Japanese.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / List Of Cars You Should Buy And Enjoy In Nigeria By Twitter User / The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.