Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,161 members, 7,821,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 (73567 Views)

Here Is How Sleeping Late At Night Can Kill Your Career / Sudden Death: 4 Ways Sex Can Kill You (Pics) / Huge Cancerous Tumour Removed From Kidney Of Poor Child In Port Harcourt (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 12:22am On Apr 18, 2016
This is my delicious vegetable kiss kiss kiss
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Jacko1(m): 12:32am On Apr 18, 2016
Wat an evil end time plant sent from hell

Hmm thank God u were at home
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by chygoz3(m): 12:42am On Apr 18, 2016
I have to write about something that is becoming annoying. It involves moving unsubstantiated information to the front page. When I see topics appear on the front page, I expect them to be valid. People can easily be misled when such invalid things are brought to the attention of many.

A plant with such level of toxicity would not be found easily, talkless of being used as decoration. My first instinct when I read the post was to confirm how true it was, which a simple Google search revealed to be false. I would thus expect that the moderators or supermoderators would think about validating such facts before moving to front page.

Please help reduce the misleading of people.
Seun kindly take note.

3 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by VickyRotex(f): 12:52am On Apr 18, 2016
Dimejidude:

I don't think we should mislead people with screaming headlines.This report is absolutely exaggerated

The claim that rubbing your eyes after
touching the plant can cause permanent
blindness also seems to be an exaggeration. The Emedicine article notes that "Ocular exposure may result in eye pain, redness, and lid swelling",
but makes no mention of permanent blindness.

Other medical articles describe dieffenbachia
induced corneal injury but again make no mention of permanent blindness.
While the warning message is overblown and
inaccurate, it should be stressed that ingesting
dieffenbachia can certainly cause a number of
distressing and painful symptoms.

www.hoax-slayer.com/killer-house-plant-warning.shtml

Thanks for this. I had to look it up too, and I noticed that the Op kinda exaggerated, but I wouldn't blame the OP though, obviously he got the information from the link he posted aswel.
It's an Hoax. However, the plant is poisonous, so we should try and avoid it's poisonous impact.

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by VickyRotex(f): 12:56am On Apr 18, 2016
Equalizer:

Nice one.. I think the best thing to do is to enlighten the people about the plant and also keep it out of reach for kids.. Everything God created on earth has its importance most especially to man kind.. I will grow more of the plant now so that it can be used to save lots of cancer patients in the future..

lol. Nice idea from you. Try to enlighten as much people as you can. However, note that, they are currently making research on the plant, so I'll advise you be very careful please.

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 1:25am On Apr 18, 2016
EOOJ:
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A998823

Op get your facts right and stop scaring people...the effects from ingestion of this plant are mild and rarely fatal....Wikipedia is your friend,please use it
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 18, 2016
chygoz3:
I have to write about something that is becoming annoying. It involves moving unsubstantiated information to the front page. When I see topics appear on the front page, I expect them to be valid. People can easily be misled when such invalid things are brought to the attention of many.

A plant with such level of toxicity would not be found easily, talkless of being used as decoration. My first instinct when I read the post was to confirm how true it was, which a simple Google search revealed to be false. I would thus expect that the moderators or supermoderators would think about validating such facts before moving to front page.

Please help reduce the misleading of people.
Seun kindly take note.

The Op is just a silly liar...very annoying post
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by calcal: 1:56am On Apr 18, 2016
You wouldn't see this type of plants in any public place in Oyinbo land, they are not stupid like neggas.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by lastpage: 2:07am On Apr 18, 2016
abbacar:
as i speak.. i water that plant daily in my house... as u have told me.... i shall continue to water it ...only that this time i shall not use water but dat which shall render it dead .... in a slow way.. because nah my landlord plant.. the guy no they use plant play... if u wan catch d guy just love plants and am plant different species for am

Just show this thread to your Landlord.... and ask him if he wont mind touching it and touching his eyes! undecided undecided

I know you hate your Landlord so much but you know, a blind landlord cant give you much agro!
grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 2:34am On Apr 18, 2016
We called it devils cocoyam when i was young
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:50am On Apr 18, 2016
EOOJ:

“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the
plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately
and she began to stifle!
A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.
You saved your girl within seconds. You really made a great Dad
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by unite4real: 2:51am On Apr 18, 2016
EOOJ:
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

If a child can die just within seconds. How did your child after eating it was revived within seconds. Pls share the experience

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by mamajaz(f): 2:59am On Apr 18, 2016
osaslord500:
Chai, and na watin I use for soup bdat ooo
aahhh... lemme quickly send you to My father-in-law be that.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Emrixx(f): 3:00am On Apr 18, 2016
Flashh:
Saying it will kill instantly is clear off reality.
th op is not lying I remember as a kid wen I took dat stuff mumcy was like oya bring red oil it was pathetic I swear
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by mamajaz(f): 3:02am On Apr 18, 2016
Caracta:

Well...

Poisoning can occur if you eat the leaves, stalk or root. It's also called Dumb Cane. It can damage the kidneys, the arteries or the stomach of those who eat it. It can also produce vomits or diarrhea. As for instant death, I am not too sure.
Did you guys consider other factors like age, body chemistry and under line disease conditions in your presentations?
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by acada111(f): 3:05am On Apr 18, 2016
gurunlocker:
This are topic worthy of front page, not one "Tonto dike show cleavage "

Point of correction, na "Major cleavage"
The rubbish tire me lipsrsealed
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by mamajaz(f): 3:06am On Apr 18, 2016
joeblaze:
The cells of the Dieffenbachia plant contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals called raphides. If a leaf is chewed, these crystals can cause a temporary burning sensation and erythema. In rare cases, edema of tissues exposed to the plant has been reported. Mastication and ingestion generally result in only mild symptoms. With both children and pets, contact with dieffenbachia (typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, including intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling. However, these effects are rarely life-threatening. In most cases, symptoms are mild, and can be successfully treated with analgesic agents, antihistamines, or medical charcoal.Gastric evacuation or lavage is "seldom" indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic plants, 70% are children younger than 5 years.

source : Wikipedia
Does wiki consider Nigeria factors like witches, wizards and alagbos? When it does, I will take "
it serious

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Rexnegro(m): 3:14am On Apr 18, 2016
osaslord500:
then automatically You don turn arsenal fan...A goner.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 5:18am On Apr 18, 2016
You are a liar... The plant does not kill.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieffenbachia
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 5:54am On Apr 18, 2016
EOOJ:

Op just save many live today but some ppl can still go and taste it to confirm if they shoul come here and ague with Op, anyway, Doctors must chop, Many things around us can kill faster than we think! The root stem of waterleaf is a 1st degree poison but the leaf is yummy for soup! Few/local ppl know this.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by misspicy(f): 6:05am On Apr 18, 2016
Flashh:
Saying it will kill instantly is clear off reality.
Does it kill gradually then?
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by olutunde12(m): 6:25am On Apr 18, 2016
osaslord500:

I have a first hand exerience with the plant. I lost my senses for a week. It might not kill as the op said but it is very dangerous especially for children. Op did what i failed to do. Good of you.

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by chiomzy25(f): 6:27am On Apr 18, 2016
The best thing I have read on nairaland for a long time. Kudos
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by dlinglos(f): 6:36am On Apr 18, 2016
It true o. It happened to my sister years back. Swollen face infact 3X the normal size. We rushed to a chemist. Can't remember what he gave her but my mom cut off the plant the next day. DON'T even let the fluid touch you skin!
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by EverestdeBliu(m): 6:36am On Apr 18, 2016
Ope!
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Kenchukky(m): 6:49am On Apr 18, 2016
Caracta:

Well...

Poisoning can occur if you eat the leaves, stalk or root. It's also called Dumb Cane. It can damage the kidneys, the arteries or the stomach of those who eat it. It can also produce vomits or diarrhea. As for instant death, I am not too sure.

Not too sure? Then google dumb cane and see.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 6:50am On Apr 18, 2016
Had me an experience with this plant when I was a kid ...somehow the juice touched my skin ...spent the whole they itching like I was crying and itching the rest of the day ...plant is one malicious thing out there
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by mykel25(m): 6:58am On Apr 18, 2016
Wow! This is so educative....i have so much of it in my waiting room....will be careful with it now
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Caracta(f): 7:00am On Apr 18, 2016
Kenchukky:

Not too sure? Then google dumb cane and see.

I've read up on it. I didn't see any where instant death was mentioned. If you have seen such, kindly assist with a link. I'm interested.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Onegai(f): 7:04am On Apr 18, 2016
OP is exaggerating. The volume you have to invest to die.had to be large. It wouldn't be such a common houseplant if it was so poisonous. Some species of cocoyam are even more poisonous.

If you do want to know safer plants for indoors , please check this thread.

[url]/https://www.nairaland.com/2894705/hibiscus-flower-society-calling-all[/url]

C.c. Caracta, mykel25

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by texazzpete(m): 7:11am On Apr 18, 2016
How did such a low level, utterly daft hoax make it to the front page?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola / Help!! Fungi Is Spoiling My Face And Neck / COVID-19 Drive-Through Test Center In Yaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.