Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,611 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 (73570 Views)

Here Is How Sleeping Late At Night Can Kill Your Career / Sudden Death: 4 Ways Sex Can Kill You (Pics) / Huge Cancerous Tumour Removed From Kidney Of Poor Child In Port Harcourt (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by sibb2011: 7:17am On Apr 18, 2016
Evil plant. Planted in the home as decorative plant by the devil to get people. Please beware my people.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by sibb2011: 7:18am On Apr 18, 2016
Evil plant. Planted in the home as decorative plant by the devil to get people. Please beware my people.

Please, let's share this information around for more people to learn about it.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by SirJonse(m): 7:20am On Apr 18, 2016
This plant almost got me blind as a kid. God bless that Corps doctor that helped me.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by astarotte: 7:26am On Apr 18, 2016
Equalizer:
Does it mean the plant has no importance?.. Before people start sending this beautiful plant to their early graves, Please someone should tell us the good things the plant can do apart from being to threat to human life...

Tosbi:
I showed my pal this post as he is quite conversant with plants, and he confirmed same to me about the danger of this plant but also claims the advantage of this plant is its scares away snakes in the house which makes it a lot beneficial as against its side effects.

I do see this plant in lots and lots of houses in the country
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by yorbaba(m): 7:27am On Apr 18, 2016
yes d plant is truly poisonous..
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by law3nity2: 7:34am On Apr 18, 2016
I hav been a victim of dis horror plant myself... we had it in d house wen I was kid. I was playing with it and the fluid robed on my right hand, after about 15mins my whole arm, shoulder and parts of my back and belly were covered in rashes and swollen. it was terrible. .. parents beware oo
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Stanbeto: 7:43am On Apr 18, 2016
Noted gud one
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 18, 2016
you're not a serious somebody grin
mamajaz:

Does wiki consider Nigeria factors like witches, wizards and alagbos? When it does, I will take "
it serious

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by millhouse: 7:51am On Apr 18, 2016
Good info
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by tivta(m): 8:03am On Apr 18, 2016
I grew up with this plant in my home and never force once as a kid did I think of putting it in my mouth, instead I tear part of the leaf to see if it would grow back, men kids of this generation are super curious, back then parents had to force us to eat any kind of vegetable cause we thought they were all bitter, may God help all new parents cause raising children today is very difficult...
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by itslinkin4005(m): 8:16am On Apr 18, 2016
Nawah ooooh I just finished eating my soup I cooked with this flower oooh
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by ANIEXTY(m): 8:31am On Apr 18, 2016
I ate this plant when i was 1+ year old, my mom was not around just me and my brother then he was 9, mom came back emidiately and enough oil was put in my mouth, i did not die because GOD had a plan for my life.
praise GOD am alive till today
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Priest200(m): 8:45am On Apr 18, 2016
Na wa o? That plant is more popular than pie cut tree plant....i have taken note..thanks op
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 18, 2016
AlienStar:
Anything apart from Bougainvillea, hibiscus. Aloe vera is a NO-NO!

Aloe Vera is not a toxic plant, it has been in my home for more than 5 yrs, even the juice though bitter is good for the stomach.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by osaslord500(m): 9:37am On Apr 18, 2016
olutunde12:

I have a first hand exerience with the plant. I lost my senses for a week. It might not kill as the op said but it is very dangerous especially for children. Op did what i failed to do. Good of you.

I thank God I've not eaten the soup yet!!
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Odeyinigbin(m): 10:04am On Apr 18, 2016
Ginaz:
I will tell my aunt o, she like planting anything plantable sad

Ur aunty na farmer?
Abeg tell her before she Carry her hand finish herself o.
I go destroy d one I planted ASAP.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Odeyinigbin(m): 10:05am On Apr 18, 2016
ANIEXTY:
I ate this plant when i was 1+ year old, my mom was not around just me and my brother then he was 9, mom came back emidiately and enough oil was put in my mouth, i did not die because GOD had a plan for my life.

O boy,no be say God as plan for u oo
Na cos ur tym to die Neva reach ni.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Odeyinigbin(m): 10:11am On Apr 18, 2016
kaeforum:

Aloe Vera is not a toxic plant, it has been in my home for more than 5 yrs, even the juice though bitter is good for the stomach.
Some Pple av eyes but cannot c.
Does it look like aloe vera to u?
Haba,am tired of some Pple sef
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by tico1212(m): 10:18am On Apr 18, 2016
tjark1:
The first three letters says it all...

DIE...

And the last six letters dieffenbachia sounds abacha.
Truly na real DIE
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by omoharry(f): 10:41am On Apr 18, 2016
Hmmm!! this is expo for wicked people in Naija to harm others.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by leoxben1(m): 11:40am On Apr 18, 2016
tnx 4 d info
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by dammyagboola(m): 12:06pm On Apr 18, 2016
Thanks you very much for the awareness.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by skondo09(m): 12:33pm On Apr 18, 2016
EOOJ:
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A998823

My findings on the topics copied from Wikipedia...

Dieffenbachia’s inflorescence
The cells of the Dieffenbachia plant contain
needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals
called raphides. If a leaf is chewed, these
crystals can cause a temporary burning
sensation and erythema. In rare cases,
edema of tissues exposed to the plant has
been reported. Mastication and ingestion
generally result in only mild symptoms.[10]
With both children and pets, contact with
dieffenbachia (typically from chewing) can
cause a host of unpleasant symptoms,
including intense numbing, oral irritation,
excessive drooling, and localized swelling.
[11] However, these effects are rarely life-
threatening. In most cases, symptoms are
mild, and can be successfully treated with
analgesic agents, [12] antihistamines, [13] or
medical charcoal. [14][15] Gastric
evacuation or lavage is "seldom" [14]
indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic
plants, 70% are children younger than 5
years.

Copied from Wikipedia
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by alaskido(m): 2:24pm On Apr 18, 2016
The name of the plant alone tells you all about death. It has DIE and ABACHA grin. grin. Those of una wey dey copy oyibo people life style. Na so one family take pussy do house pet, When madam and oga dey sleep the bloody animal almost remove the husband kpekus thinking it was a rat when the thing begin dey ding dong grin cheesy.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by DrAda(f): 2:24pm On Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the information
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by ayanfemy(f): 2:42pm On Apr 18, 2016
I have this on my table in the office, is this safe?

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nickymezor(f): 5:17pm On Apr 18, 2016
Hmmm wat a plant. .. thanks for the information OP...
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by litaninja(m): 7:11pm On Apr 18, 2016
OP may be related to LAI Mohammed....lion lomo
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by litaninja(m): 7:15pm On Apr 18, 2016
Amazing how you remember what you did at 1+ years...nna, typically people remember from the age of 3. Also, your mum was away, but came back immediately you chewed the leaves....she dodge behind door before abi
Lion lomo

ANIEXTY:
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Flashh: 9:16pm On Apr 18, 2016
misspicy:

Does it kill gradually then?
Emrixx:
th op is not lying I remember as a kid wen I took dat stuff mumcy was like oya bring red oil it was pathetic I swear
I didn't say it's not dangerous to humans health. But I disagree with the instant killing.

I've read, over and over through the years, that one of the side effects of all this is that the tongue and throat can swell to the point where the victim may be unable to speak (not everybody mentions the airway thing).
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 12:59am On Apr 19, 2016
It has it own purpose in medicine,people should not grow it in residential.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Dreamscape1: 5:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hello.
I read your post.
I am a landscape planner and environmentalist. And I have this plant at home and in some of my gardens.
I am very sorry for your child. Thank God your child is still alive.
First, have you heard of the saying "everything is poison only the dose matters?" From this saying, even water is poisonous, depending on the dose. So not everything should go into the mouth and what amount did your child consume.
Secondly, plants serve various purposes. From aesthetics to medicinal. And they should be kept around the home.
Are you all aware that plants help reduce the carbon content in the atmosphere? Are you aware that the carbon content in the atmosphere is responsible for the heated environment that is causing the hotness we are feeling all around Nigeria today?
No one should encourage people to keep plants away from themselves. We can't live without plants. Plants have many functions we can't monetize.
Finally, we should educate our children not to put everything into their mouth!
God be with you all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola / Help!! Fungi Is Spoiling My Face And Neck / COVID-19 Drive-Through Test Center In Yaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.