Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

Debate An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Debate An Atheist (14079 Views)

How a Christian should debate an atheist using science and logic / Mark Zuckerberg Was NEVER An Atheist In The First Place . / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debate An Atheist by UncleSnr(m): 11:41am On Apr 20, 2016
Drop your issues, thoughts and questions, let Atheist in the house give their insight on them.

Let me chip this in.

How to Talk to, Debate Atheists: Ways Religious Theists can Avoid Common Errors

Familiarize Yourself with What Atheism Is and Is Not:

It doesn't make sense to try to discuss atheism, theism, or religion with atheists if you aren't already at least a little familiar with what atheism is. Many churches and apologetics books have misinformed people about how dictionaries and atheists themselves define atheism: it's just the absence of belief in gods, not the positive denial of your god's existence. Some atheists go on to deny some or all gods; others don't. You can't assume you know what any particular atheist does so you'll have to ask. If you at least show familiarity with the arguments, you'll start out on a positive note. What Is Atheism?

Ask Questions, Don't Make Assumptions:

You know what happens when you make assumptions, right? A significant problem which atheists have with theists is how so many make all sorts of assumptions about atheism, atheists, and anyone who isn't religious. Many of the most common myths about atheism and atheists are derived from people making easily dispelled assumptions rather than just asking simple questions.

If you ask genuine (not rhetorical) questions and evince an interest in learning, you'll put others in a positive frame of mind and make them much more inclined to discuss things with you. Common Mistakes & Assumptions...

Believe Us When We Say We Don't Believe in Gods and Aren't Religious:

As if making lots of assumptions weren’t bad enough, some theists presume to know our minds better than we do — even though they don't know anything about us except for a few exchanged words online! You can't have a serious conversation with a person if you're going to keep telling them what they "really" think and what they "really" are. That's rude and uncalled for. If an atheist says that they don't believe in any gods and have no religion, you shouldn't try to tell them that they are wrong without very, very good reasons. Atheism Doesn't Involve Worship...

Atheists Aren't Trying to Undermine Liberty or Eat Your Baby:

One sure way to eliminate any chances of a productive conversation with an atheist is to enter it under the assumption that atheists are evil, are conspiring to ban Christianity, or want to harm your family. If that's your attitude, then you should take a second look at why you are trying to have a conversation with someone you regard as so depraved and evil. What is your real goal and what do you expect to get out of this? Atheists get tired of being told that they are enemies of freedom and America, so please don't bother, OK? Atheists Aren't Imposing a Religion on America...

Discuss, Don't Proselytize or Preach — Discussion is a Two-Way Street:

There's a difference between a discussion and preaching. A discussion is a two-way street where both contribute and what each person says actually reflects something they have taken from what the other says. In a discussion, you have to listen to what the other is saying and respond directly to it. When a person is preaching, though, they aren't really paying attention to what the other says. None of their statements reflect their having noticed or taken anything from others. If you want to have a discussion with an atheist, great, but please don't use the pretense of a discussion as a platform to practice preaching.

Is it Possible That You Could Be Wrong? If Not, What Are You Doing?

Ask yourself if it's possible, at least in theory, that you could be mistaken about things you believe (regarding theism and religion). If so, then a discussion or debate with an atheist has the possibility of providing you with something to learn and think about. If not, then what is the point of having a discussion with an atheist? Is it just something you are doing to preach and hopefully convert them? If so, see above. Please take stock of your motives and goals before proceeding because you might find that you aren't going into this with the best of intentions.

Familiarize Yourself with Common Errors in Reasoning & Logical Fallacies:

It would be nice if schools in America merely did a poor job at educating students in logic and arguments, because most do no job at all. Few people even know what a logical fallacy is, much less how to identify one in an argument. Atheists make plenty of mistakes in this, too, but when theists offer arguments in defense of theism to atheists it's common to see the same mistakes over and over. If you're going to talk to or debate atheists, please become familiar with common mistakes and fallacies which people make: you'll be able to avoid them and you'll notice when others commit them. Logical Fallacies...

Familiarize Yourself with Common Arguments & Common Refutations:

Atheists often hear the exact same arguments over and over from one theist after another. This isn't surprising because there are a limited number of arguments defending the existence of gods, but the problem lies in presenting the simplest forms of the same arguments. There is rarely any evidence that the theist realizes either that there are more sophisticated versions or that there are easy refutations of what the theist is offering. Providing the same, obvious rebuttals to the same, superficial arguments gets annoying, especially when more interesting options exist. Common Arguments for God...

Just Because the Bible Says It, Doesn't Mean that Settles It For Us:

Many Christians treat the Bible as the first, last, and ultimate authority for everything in their lives. It records instructions from their god and, of course, their god isn't to be disobeyed. Atheists don't believe in the Christians' god, obviously, and therefore also don't believe that the Bible has any special political, moral, social, or religious authority. Christians don't always realize this and as a result sometimes quote the Bible in discussions with atheists as through these passages should settle any disagreements. That just won't work, though, so please try to keep this in mind.

Don't Pray for Us, Or At Least Don't Announce that You're Praying for Us:

It happens far too often that a theist will tell an atheist "I'll pray for you." Atheists obviously don't believe in the power of prayer, but even the theist who does can't believe that prayer will be more effective for having announced it to the atheist. So what's the purpose? Some say that it's to express well-wishes, but in that context people say that they'll pray for someone when the person is sick or having trouble. One way or another, the theist appears to be expressing superiority over atheists in a passive-aggressive manner that atheists often interpret as rude, arrogant, and condescending.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismatheiststheism/p/HowDebate.htm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debate An Atheist by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 20, 2016
Oh this is interesting... cool

Let me ask u Sir.. whats ur view about LGBT in Ng?

As we can see that d majority of the local ppol are against homosexuality..

1 Like

Re: Debate An Atheist by verboten: 12:04pm On Apr 20, 2016
What do you think about spirituality? Is it something that atheists can benefit from and should they try to embrace it?
Re: Debate An Atheist by UncleSnr(m): 12:05pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:
Oh this is interesting... cool

Let me ask u Sir.. whats ur view about LGBT in Ng?

As we can see that d majority of the local ppol are against homosexuality..
I am not against LGBT, but the Law of the land detest it. As a law abiding citizen, you should abide by the law of the Land. If you think it is part of you, you should practice it secretly with your gay partner. or better still seek asylum in countries that accepts people with same mindset.

5 Likes

Re: Debate An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 3:05pm On Apr 20, 2016
verboten:
What do you think about spirituality? Is it something that atheists can benefit from and should they try to embrace it?
It depends on your idea of spirituality ... what does the word 'spirituality' mean to you?
Re: Debate An Atheist by MrPresident1: 3:30pm On Apr 20, 2016
UncleSnr:
Drop your issues, thoughts and questions, let Atheist in the house give their insight on them.

Sir, atheism, is it a disbelief in God or a disbelief in religion?
Re: Debate An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 3:46pm On Apr 20, 2016
MrPresident1:

Sir, atheism, is it a disbelief in God or a disbelief in religion?
Disbelief in all Gods.. an atheist can still be religious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 4:02pm On Apr 20, 2016
johnydon22:

Disbelief in all Gods.. an atheist can still be religious
Atheists can still be religious? I thought religion is the adherence to a god or gods?
Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 4:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
UncleSnr:
Sir, why do atheists finds it hard to maintain the fact that there is indeed no God?
What am trying to say is, why do they blame God whenever a natural disaster occurs? If there's no God shouldn't it be that it's just a natural occurrence which people happened to die in the process?
Re: Debate An Atheist by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2016
UncleSnr:
I am not against LGBT, but the Law of the land detest it. As a law abiding citizen, you should abide by the law of the Land. If you think it is part of you, you should practice it secretly with your gay partner. or better still seek asylum in countries that accepts people with same mindset.
Hello UncleSnr. I agree with your answer to some extent. But Laws are meant to help people live together, not one against the other. Laws are not static, but dynamic. They change, and can be changed. So seeking Assylum is only a short term solution which may not apply to all.

Going by this line of thinking, all the blacks in america should have sought assylum, and the society would never have changed.

I personally have a negative feeling when I think about homosexuality. I recognize, culture Religious dogmas and education have a lot to do about it. But when faced with the issue, I always strive to go beyond this feeling and defend the right of LGTBs to live their lives and seek their own happiness without hurting anyone, or forcing anyone to follow their path. So all those discriminatory laws against them, should be changed, to reflect Humanity's moral evolution.

Greetings to you sir.

6 Likes

Re: Debate An Atheist by Oluwaseytiano(m): 4:33pm On Apr 20, 2016
analice107:

Sir, why do atheists finds it hard to maintain the fact that there is indeed no God?
What am trying to say is, why do they blame God whenever a natural disaster occurs? If there's no God shouldn't it be that it's just a natural occurrence which people happened to die in the process?
When believers use the earth as being perfect to sustain life as proof of existence of a creator, its only natural that an atheist points to the disasters to counter the claim

2 Likes

Re: Debate An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 4:36pm On Apr 20, 2016
analice107:

Atheists can still be religious?
I thought religion is the adherence to a god or gods?

Nope here is the definition of Religion Religion is a cultural system of behaviors and practices, mythologies, world views, sacred texts, holy places, ethics, and societal organisation that relate humanity to what an anthropologist has called "an order of existence".

An atheists can still be religious, atheism only means disbelief in Gods not irreligious.

One can be religious but do not believe any deity exists e.g Buddhism is a religion but averagely atheistic, one can be irreligious and still have a belief in a deity.

You can practise Christianity, islam, buddhism, etc but as long as you agree that you don't believe Gods exists, you are an atheist.

so do not confuse the two, religiosity and irreligiosity has nothing to do with atheism.

There are even Atheist who still practise Christianity but agree that they do not share belief in any God just adhere to Christian doctrines and religious practices ..

1 out of every 6 priest or pastor in neatherlands is either atheist or agnostic..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debate An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 4:42pm On Apr 20, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
When believers use the earth as being perfect to sustain life as proof of existence of a creator, its only natural that an atheist points to the disasters to counter the claim

I continue to wonder how that simple sarcasm is difficult for people to understand... Atheists hold a view that nothing controls nature and they blame nothing for natural disasters

so when a believer thinks his/her God does control nature or caused nature, they now point at natural disasters and then tell the believer his/her god is directly responsible for that.

99% of the universe will kill you instantly

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debate An Atheist by Oluwaseytiano(m): 4:44pm On Apr 20, 2016
johnydon22:

I continue to wonder how that simple sarcasm is difficult for people to understand... Atheists hold a view that nothing controls nature, so when a believer thinks his/her God does, they now point at natural disasters and then tell the believer his/her god is directly responsible for that
Exactly
Re: Debate An Atheist by verboten: 5:39pm On Apr 20, 2016
johnydon22:

It depends on your idea of spirituality ... what does the word 'spirituality' mean to you?

I'm using it in the sense it is used by Sam Harris in particular, though there are other definitions that I think are worth addressing too. There is a little about it on his blog here: https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/a-plea-for-spirituality

"Of course, “spiritual” and its cognates have some unfortunate associations unrelated to their etymology—and I will do my best to cut those ties as well. But there seems to be no other term (apart from the even more problematic “mystical” or the more restrictive “contemplative”) with which to discuss the deliberate efforts some people make to overcome their feeling of separateness—through meditation, psychedelics, or other means of inducing non-ordinary states of consciousness. And I find neologisms pretentious and annoying. Hence, I appear to have no choice: “Spiritual” it is."

1 Like

Re: Debate An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 6:54pm On Apr 20, 2016
verboten now i understand what you mean and i will reply when my phone is charged.. ^^^^
Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 8:02pm On Apr 20, 2016
johnydon22:

Nope here is the definition of Religion Religion is a cultural system of behaviors and practices, mythologies, world views, sacred texts, holy places, ethics, and societal organisation that relate humanity to what an anthropologist has called "an order of existence".

An atheists can still be religious, atheism only means disbelief in Gods not irreligious.

One can be religious but do not believe any deity exists e.g Buddhism is a religion but averagely atheistic, one can be irreligious and still have a belief in a deity.

You can practise Christianity, islam, buddhism, etc but as long as you agree that you don't believe Gods exists, you are an atheist.

so do not confuse the two, religiosity and irreligiosity has nothing to do with atheism.

There are even Atheist who still practise Christianity but agree that they do not share belief in any God just adhere to Christian doctrines and religious practices ..

1 out of every 6 priest or pastor in neatherlands is either atheist or agnostic..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism ...
Na waoo. Judgement day go shele oo.
Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 8:11pm On Apr 20, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
What have you now said with regards to my question? No christian has ever said the world or earth was perfect. Perfect ke? This earth perfect with all the evil people commit?
Re: Debate An Atheist by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2016
analice107:

Over a trillion people have died before you lived. Over a trillion people will die after you live. That A God meticulously takes notes and keeps records of those who love him and those who don't makes me question his divine credentials and temperament.

6 Likes

Re: Debate An Atheist by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 20, 2016
analice107:

What have you now said with regards to my question? No christian has ever said the world or earth was perfect. Perfect ke? This earth perfect with all the evil people commit?
Why do you think the world is evil?
Re: Debate An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 8:46pm On Apr 20, 2016
analice107:
k

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debate An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 8:48pm On Apr 20, 2016
analice107:

johnydon22:

I continue to wonder how that simple sarcasm is difficult for people to understand... Atheists hold a view that nothing controls nature and they blame nothing for natural disasters
so when a believer thinks his/her God does control nature or caused nature, they now point at natural disasters and then tell the believer his/her god is directly responsible for that.
99% of the universe will kill you instantly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 9:03pm On Apr 20, 2016
[quote author=sonOfLucifer post=44885714]
Over a trillion people have died before you lived. Over a trillion people will die after you live. That A God meticulously takes notes and keeps records of those who love him and those who don't makes me question his divine credentials and temperament.[/quote
What killed this trillion people?
Re: Debate An Atheist by ValentineMary(m): 9:04pm On Apr 20, 2016
Nice topic I really love the discussion going on here.

1 Like

Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 9:05pm On Apr 20, 2016
Over a trillion people have died before you lived. Over a trillion people will die after you live. That A God meticulously takes notes and keeps records of those who love him and those who don't makes me question his divine credentials and temperament.[/quote
What killed this trillion people? Hahahahahahahaha. Wonderful, sonOfLucifer questions God's credibility. I have never heard you question your father's rebellion and merciless wickedness towards man.
Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 9:06pm On Apr 20, 2016
What killed this trillion people? Hahahahahahahaha. Wonderful, sonOfLucifer questions God's credentials. I have never heard you question your father's rebellion against God.
Re: Debate An Atheist by marshalcarter: 9:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
Only a FOOL would look to the sky and say there aint a GOD smiley

Cum nd dance with me...babababababababa miloke babaaaaaa.....wooow grin
Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 9:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Why do you think the world is evil?
Son of the master of evil is asking me why I think the world is Evil. Really?
Re: Debate An Atheist by analice107: 9:09pm On Apr 20, 2016
[quote author=johnydon22 post=44886625][/quote]
Did you say you blame nothing for natural disasters? I will remind you this conversation someday soon.
Re: Debate An Atheist by HomoSapiien: 9:18pm On Apr 20, 2016
marshalcarter:
Only a FOOL would look to the sky and say there aint a GOD smiley
Cum nd dance with me...babababababababa miloke babaaaaaa.....wooow grin

Shut up

1 Like

Re: Debate An Atheist by marshalcarter: 9:21pm On Apr 20, 2016
HomoSapiien:

Shut up
Oba oba oba oba oba titilaye oooobaaaaaaa.....oya..komole...gbesoke cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Debate An Atheist by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 20, 2016
analice107:

What killed this trillion people? Hahahahahahahaha. Wonderful, sonOfLucifer questions God's credentials. I have never heard you question your father's rebellion against God..
It's nature. Life and death. Our existence only a mere drop in the context of the Universe.
Satan didn't rebel against God. As usual, you're satisfied with the 'first' story. That, to you, is the original. Even when it proves man has suffered more at the hand of God than at the hands of demons. The God of the Bible is more of a devil than Satan .

What if Satan sent a flood upon all the inhabitants of the earth, young, old, disabled, babies?
What if Satan had told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac?
What if Satan sent his children to kill, destroy and plunder cities, to keep their Virgins and slay their young men?
What if Satan sent bears to kill kids on his behalf?
What if Satan sent me to die for your sins, would you believe?

12 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Happens After Death? / Healings And The Gift Of Healing In The Church / Why Don't Camera Men Fall Under The Anointing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.