Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,274 members, 7,811,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) (44704 Views)

Photos Of Saraki At CCT Today As His Trial Commenced Again / Danladi Umar Shouts At Raphael Oluyede, Saraki's Lawyer / Photos Of Bukola Saraki At CCT Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by odikimi: 4:59pm On Apr 21, 2016
paragon40:
fair hearing u say? was the accused person denied fair hearing? NO he was not, the judge listened to both sides .. the defence counsel actually interrupted that process of fair hearing.. the judge said let us start with the cross examination and the defence, disobeyed that..
Please read the following cases and see the Supreme Court decisions on what fair hearing is:
Audu v. FRN,
Nnana v. Uso,
Jang v. INEC,
Babalola v. Oshogbo L.G.,
Uniuyo v. Nse,
Sule v. Ebule,
Odessa v.FRN,
Falodun v. Olunge
also research on the legal maxims, nemo judex in causa sua
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by 989900: 5:02pm On Apr 21, 2016
'I say sit down!' cheesy

The lawyer was way outta line.

Scenes like this happen in our courts, especially the lower courts.

The judge didn't apply finesse; he needs to take some 'Jegarphy' courses.

It is easy for the judge to lose his cool and calm with all the drama Saraki, the NASS, and the 80-90 lawyers got on him -- he is human, he was just about commencing 'cross-witnessing' when the loquacious lawyer started off . . . yarning EFCC yada, yada, yada, . . .

The CCT judge is partly part of the prosecution in this case i.e. the CCT is the prosecuting arm of the CCB -- can't be entirely neutral as y'all would want to assume.

Pa Chukwudi44, over to you.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by onetouch04: 5:03pm On Apr 21, 2016
Tenim47:
pls anybody wit, dos gals dat poisons general abacha's apples address? someone stil nid to eat it
Abeg no kill me with laugh here. Who u want gv d poison sef?
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by Rosso: 5:05pm On Apr 21, 2016
it was rotimi Jacobs voice u heard apologising, and dats d Federal govt lawyer,,,, pleading On behalf of the other lawyer b4 d judge
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by seeker121(m): 5:20pm On Apr 21, 2016
I must follow this game to the end Saraki's vs Danladi's,this one name real season film.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by emorse(m): 5:30pm On Apr 21, 2016
sapiosexual1:
This justice Umar sef, his gra gra is too much. Didn't he see how Jega handled Orubebe?
As a judge, you have all the power on you, you should be more graceful than this.

I agree totally.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by jesuspikinjp(m): 5:41pm On Apr 21, 2016
kangaroo court lol
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by manny4life(m): 5:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
989900:
'I say sit down!' cheesy

The lawyer was way outta line.

Scenes like this happen in our courts, especially the lower courts.

The judge didn't apply finesse; he needs to take some 'Jegarphy' courses.

It is easy for the judge to lose his cool and calm with all the drama Saraki, the NASS, and the 80-90 lawyers got on him -- he is human, he was just about commencing 'cross-witnessing' when the loquacious lawyer started off . . . yarning EFCC yada, yada, yada, . . .

The CCT judge is partly part of the prosecution in this case i.e. the CCT is the prosecuting arm of the CCB -- can't be entirely neutral as y'all would want to assume.

Pa Chukwudi44, over to you.

Should a court of law (whether it's CCB or the federal courts) be neutral or not? I beg to differ that the CCT judge is part of the prosecution, the Bureau is an independent body which I believe was setup as an act of Congressional or rather Constitutional Authority to preside over corruption cases NOT a body setup by EFCC. And by this act, the judge and all participants of the court must adhere to rules set by the court as granted by law.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by manny4life(m): 5:57pm On Apr 21, 2016
I am not in anyway supporting Saraki and his thugs, but watching the video again, the lawyer started off by honestly asking the judge to recuse himself from this matter. He gave reasons why he should recuse himself, which I believe is a honorable request. The judge should have simply directed the lawyer where he should address his grievances but instead, he got mad and telling him to "Sit down" like as if he doesn't want the lawyer exposing him.... He's losing cool points in my book.

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by paragon40(m): 5:57pm On Apr 21, 2016
odikimi:

Please read the following cases and see the Supreme Court decisions on what fair hearing is:
Audu v. FRN,
Nnana v. Uso,
Jang v. INEC,
Babalola v. Oshogbo L.G.,
Uniuyo v. Nse,
Sule v. Ebule,
Odessa v.FRN,
Falodun v. Olunge
also research on the legal maxims, nemo judex in causa sua
I'm not new to fair hearing
the doctrine of fair hearing has two principles:
i. audi alteram partem---------- a party should not be condemned unheard.
ii. nemo judex in causa sua -------- u can't be the judge in your own case.

2. Now justice Umar is not the judge in his own case here because his not the prosecuting counsel/fed govt. don't forget the ''he who alleges must prove'' (Affaimanti non neganti incumbit Probatio) which is bn done by the prosecuting counsel. against the Saraki... and UMAR in the 'EYES' of the Law is the independent man (Judge).

3. ther cant be fair hearing when you are the Judge and the same time, the prosecuting counsel.... any form of judgment obtained in this form, cant stand. because the accused person has not bn allowed to defend himself. From the above Saraki was allowed to defend himself but was looking for a way to scuttle the process of justice,that is why we have a court of Appeal.. rascality is rascality and Lawyers should not follow that path.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by Nellypy: 6:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
Hmmmmm illegal practitioners

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by naija2dabone(m): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2016
ElCapone:
he shldnt hav sat down nw make him see if them no go trow am out of court. Idiatz!!

To ed.....hut like you the judge is a god
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by 989900: 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2016
manny4life:

Should a court of law (whether it's CCB or the federal courts) be neutral or not? I beg to differ that the CCT judge is part of the prosecution, the Bureau is an independent body which I believe was setup as an act of Congressional or rather Constitutional Authority to preside over corruption cases NOT a body setup by EFCC. And by this act, the judge and all participants of the court must adhere to rules set by the court as granted by law.

What I mean is this (may be I'm wrong), the CCB refers culprits to the CCT, an extension or prosecuting arm of the bureau, will they do so if they presume the culprit is innocent?
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by odikimi: 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2016
paragon40:
I'm not new to fair hearing
the doctrine of fair hearing has two principles:
i. audi alteram partem---------- a party should not be condemned unheard.
ii. nemo judex in causa sua -------- u can't be the judge in your own case.

2. Now justice Umar is not the judge in his own case here because his not the prosecuting counsel/fed govt. don't forget the ''he who alleges must prove'' (Affaimanti non neganti incumbit Probatio) which is bn done by the prosecuting counsel. against the Saraki... and UMAR in the 'EYES' of the Law is the independent man (Judge).

3. ther cant be fair hearing when you are the Judge and the same time, the prosecuting counsel.... any form of judgment obtained in this form, cant stand. because the accused person has not bn allowed to defend himself. From the above Saraki was allowed to defend himself but was looking for a way to scuttle the process of justice,that is why we have a court of Appeal.. rascality is rascality and Lawyers should not follow that path.

Fair hearing as enshrined under section 36 (1) entails that, the judge shall be seen as fair to parties. The judge shall not be heard making unhealthy comments by; conduct or words. See Unwadara v. Ume. The Supreme Court in the above case held that, where there is allegation of bias, The judge has to excuse himself or determine the allegation of bias before going ahead or else it will amount to the judge showing interest in the matter. see also Nnana v. Ugo
Fair hearing entails that the judge must not have any interest in the matter. Umar is having an issue with the EFCC, allowing to preside over an issue with EFCC staff as a star witness entails that he will compromise to save himself. See the case of Adegoke v. The State.
see the case of oyakhire v. The State. please read this case on accelerated hearing to the detriment of the defence counsel, where the Supreme Court held that it amounts to miscarriage of justice in all intents

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by Anthony20: 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2016
We have authoritative sources to show that some JOBLESS youths and even "Adults" have been hired and paid peanuts to defend politicians online. We are also aware that Saraki having amass so MUCH ill gotten wealth fraudulently, has a lot of compromised characters on his payroll. Just like the busy body lawyer, these character, most of them on social media- including Nairaland are working hard to impress their pay masters.
Please my friends and foes next time, when someone castigate or abuse you in this platform on SARAKIGATE just say- Ah ha-Ah ha- meaning E go soon happen. Vulture go soon go back to him Cafe and Thief to KIRIKIRI. Nigeria we hail Dee.

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 21, 2016
D judge should v committed d guy to contempt of court and straught to jail

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by itstpia8: 6:30pm On Apr 21, 2016
What exactly is so unusual about a judge shouting in court anyway?

Has it never happened before?

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 21, 2016
itstpia8:

who is Agabi?
Kanu Agabi, former attorney general and presently Saraki’s lead counsel.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by paragon40(m): 7:20pm On Apr 21, 2016
odikimi:

Fair hearing as enshrined under section 36 (1) entails that, the judge shall be seen as fair to parties. The judge shall not be heard making unhealthy comments by; conduct or words. See Unwadara v. Ume. The Supreme Court in the above case held that, where there is allegation of bias, The judge has to excuse himself or determine the allegation of bias before going ahead or else it will amount to the judge showing interest in the matter. see also Nnana v. Ugo
Fair hearing entails that the judge must not have any interest in the matter. Umar is having an issue with the EFCC, allowing to preside over an issue with EFCC staff as a star witness entails that he will compromise to save himself. See the case of Adegoke v. The State.
see the case of oyakhire v. The State. please read this case on accelerated hearing to the detriment of the defence counsel, where the Supreme Court held that it amounts to miscarriage of justice in all intents
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/efcc-clears-cct-chairman-umar-n10m-bribery/
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:21pm On Apr 21, 2016
manny4life:
I am not in anyway supporting Saraki and his thugs, but watching the video again, the lawyer started off by honestly asking the judge to recuse himself from this matter. He gave reasons why he should recuse himself, which I believe is a honorable request. The judge should have simply directed the lawyer where he should address his grievances but instead, he got mad and telling him to "Sit down" like as if he doesn't want the lawyer exposing him.... He's losing cool points in my book .
He should recuse himself then what? The case should start all over again? And when a new Judge is assigned, once they get to this stage of the trial again they'll ask that one to recuse himself too, right?

I had already started replying this then I saw who it was.... I'll still reply it anyway even though I know nothing will get through your block head.

The Judge is not there to gain "Cool Points" from you. Nor is he there for the benefit of those that want to make mockery of the court. This is serious, and it should be treated as such.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by Airpure(f): 7:21pm On Apr 21, 2016
A judge has the right to hold a lawyer in contempt of court and even send him to Jail if he wants . A Judge has ultimate power in the court room what the lawyer can now do is submit his motion to have him recuse himself and bring it up during appeal. The Judge wasted his energy to shout he should have just held him in contempt and have him removed .

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by jatthobber(m): 7:34pm On Apr 21, 2016
Insanity from the body of benchers. Nigerians, we succeeded in forcing the Senate to rescind their decision on the cct, let us also beam our searchlight on these criminals called lawyers too to let them know that they are not immune from the CHANGE as well
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by manny4life(m): 7:40pm On Apr 21, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
He should recuse himself then what? The case should start all over again? And when a new Judge is assigned, once they get to this stage of the trial again they'll ask that one to recuse himself too, right?

I had already started replying this then I saw who it was.... I'll still reply it anyway even though I know nothing will get through your block head.

The Judge is not there to gain "Cool Points" from you. Nor is he there for the benefit of those that want to make mockery of the court. This is serious, and it should be treated as such.

Lmao... Dude, how many times would I tell you to QUIT stalking me? I don't like you, I don't wanna argue with you, heck I really don't give two fuccccks about you. Like seriously, how do I spell it out? Stop stalking me.... angry angry angry angry
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by odikimi: 7:49pm On Apr 21, 2016
paragon40:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/efcc-clears-cct-chairman-umar-n10m-bribery/
This news happened just yesterday or a day before.
So tell me what you think conspired between them to come up with this junk clearance?
When you judge from objective angle u will see what I am seeing.
I am the most objective man here because I hate Saraki like my poo. I want him to die in jail, but it has to be judiciously and judicially done. I hate him the way I hate BH.
However, a minister in the temple of justice, all I am agitating for is to see that justice is not only be done but seen to have being done. I despise injustice to whoever in the society.

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by 1Emmy: 7:55pm On Apr 21, 2016
Is Umar asking his house boy to sit down. That is not matured and polite.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by paragon40(m): 8:16pm On Apr 21, 2016
odikimi:

This news happened just yesterday or a day before.
So tell me what you think conspired between them to come up with this junk clearance?
When you judge from objective angle u will see what I am seeing.
I am the most objective man here because I hate Saraki like my poo. I want him to die in jail, but it has to be judiciously and judicially done. I hate him the way I hate BH.
However, a minister in the temple of justice, all I am agitating for is to see that justice is not only be done but seen to have being done. I despise injustice to whoever in the society.
I know the way you feel bro... but the fact in issue (bribe) is no way related to saraki's trial.. the bribe in question is not related to Saraki's case at all, Which I think the judge is also entitled to "presumption of innocence" as enshrined in the Constitution .. U will agree with me that morality is not Law, Even though they tend to clash a times... does it mean all accused persons standing trial at the tribunal, will tell Justice Umar that the Efcc said he collected bribe hence he cant continue with their case..
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by paragon40(m): 8:18pm On Apr 21, 2016
Airpure:
A judge has the right to hold a lawyer in contempt of court and even send him to Jail if he wants . A Judge has ultimate power in the court room what the lawyer can now do is submit his motion to have him recuse himself and bring it up during appeal. The Judge wasted his energy to shout he should have just held him in contempt and have him removed .
I guess Umar was soft on him due to the fact that he was a Senior Advocate..
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by odikimi: 8:32pm On Apr 21, 2016
paragon40:
I know the way you feel bro... but the fact in issue (bribe) is no way related to saraki's trial.. the bribe in question is not related to Saraki's case at all, Which I think the judge is also entitled to "presumption of innocence" as enshrined in the Constitution .. U will agree with me that morality is not Law, Even though they tend to clash a times... does it mean all accused persons standing trial at the tribunal, will tell Justice Umar that the Efcc said he collected bribe hence he cant continue with their case..
please read this from FALANA
and see why Umar can't be impartial in this case.
I deal with facts and I research on my argument.
Once you are facing an alleged crime with a party or have any issue with a body, you can't give a fair judgment.
Umar's disqualification will not stop Saraki from trial. I am arguing from the legal perspective and not on political ground. I am a lawyer/pro PDP but I want Saraki to be jailed.
However I don't want the CCT to give Saraki a good ground for Appeal.
Saraki after the case will file notice of appeal as well as stay of execution to stay in that seat.
The Court of appeal will grant the stay if there is strong believe that he was denied fair hearing which is wider than justice giving him chance to be heard.
Fair hearing in Law is not just giving the accused chance to prove his case.
Saraki lawyers are setting ground for appeal against the possible judgment base on the partiality of the judge which amount to breach of section 36 sub 1. see Uniuyo v. Nse.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by odikimi: 8:32pm On Apr 21, 2016
paragon40:
please read this from FALANA http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/brt-probe-falana-requests-fashola-remove-justice-adebajo-chairman/
and see why Umar can't be impartial in this case.
I deal with facts and I research on my argument.
Once you are facing an alleged crime with a party or have any issue with a body, you can't give a fair judgment.
Umar's disqualification will not stop Saraki from trial. I am arguing from the legal perspective and not on political ground. I am a lawyer/pro PDP but I want Saraki to be jailed.
However I don't want the CCT to give Saraki a good ground for Appeal.
Saraki after the case will file notice of appeal as well as stay of execution to stay in that seat.
The Court of appeal will grant the stay if there is strong believe that he was denied fair hearing which is wider than just giving him chance to be heard.
Fair hearing in Law is not just giving the accused chance to prove his case.
Saraki lawyers are setting ground for appeal against the possible judgment base on the partiality of the judge which amount to breach of section 36 sub 1. see Uniuyo v. Nse.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by diva90: 8:39pm On Apr 21, 2016
eLcastro:
u serious.,u haven't seen a lawyer tryin to intimidate d judge b4 or is dis peculiar to saraki case...lawyers do dis all the time...it's a way to provoke/intimidate d judge...u jus blowin ish outa proportion

It's not proper! It's not done in developed countries where there is proper law and order and the judiciary is highly revered

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by odikimi: 8:45pm On Apr 21, 2016
diva90:

It's not proper! It's not done in developed countries where there is proper law and order and the judiciary is highly revered
Yeah, but in those developed countries, judges don't show their partiality for the world to see.
I am trying to remember a judge in Nigeria who was disrespected to the extend that the lawyer called him by his name and told him he will never address him as "My Lord".
The matter went to LPDC but nothing happened because the lawyer said, the judge has brought himself down to disrespute and he can't address him as his "Lord" again.
Please who can remember the lawyer's name. It happened in Peter Obi's case.
Re: Saraki's Lawyer Disrupting Trial At The CCT Today (Video) by Ndeewonu: 9:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
donphilopus:
[s][/s]

Cry me a river! Did you not see the letter from EFCC which shows the man has since been cleared? It even passed through the desk of the then Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) under Jonathan, Anyim Pius Anyim. Why then is this silly counsel to Saraki bringing up the issue that has since been concluded again? Umar was even too cool on him.

If Saraki is found guilty, there's nothing you lots can do about it. You would only wail and wail!

Please, is all this drama in court why NIGERIA does not still have FUEL even after many failed problems by the minister of Petroleum and his deputy? No water, no light, No fuel! What a shame, Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jibrin & Melaye During Obasanjo’s Presidential Campaign (Throwback) / Photos From Eyitayo Jegede's Campaign Grand Finale In Ondo / Zannah Mustapha Who Set 82 Chibok Girls Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.