Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America (49190 Views)

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by johnkent(m): 4:21am On May 14, 2016
Not sure how accurate this info is but I'm a nurse anesthetist and i make >$300K/year in texas. Not the norm but I for sure wouldnt take any job that pays <$160K/year anywhere in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by aariwa(m): 8:03am On May 14, 2016
johnkent:
Not sure how accurate this info is but I'm a nurse anesthetist and i make >$300K/year in texas. Not the norm but I for sure wouldnt take any job that pays <$160K/year anywhere in the country.
what's the procedure for becoming a nurse anaesthetics. Is it through accelerated bsn nursing Chanel or cna-lpn-rn channel or using o level certificate to apply to a school.please enlighten us more for educational purposes

2 Likes

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 12:14pm On May 14, 2016
aariwa:
what's the procedure for becoming a nurse anaesthetics. Is it through accelerated bsn nursing Chanel or cna-lpn-rn channel or using o level certificate to apply to a school.please enlighten us more for educational purposes

Nurse anesthetists administer
anesthesia services in a wide
range of health care facilities, from
the hospital emergency room to
the dentist's office. On the
surface, the steps you need to
take to learn how to become a
nurse anesthetist would seem
fairly self-evident: complete
master's-level training in nurse
anesthesia and pass a certification
exam. Beyond those essential
requirements, however, a few
other steps are involved. Read on
to learn the top 10 steps to take
to become a nurse anesthetist.
Programs and Education

1. Start with a bachelor's in
nursing (BSN) and a registered
nursing license (RN) . Many nurse
anesthesia master's programs
stipulate that applicants hold a
BSN and an RN. With that in
mind, nursing schools have
devised RN-to-BSN programs for
current RNs and "second degree
bachelor's" programs for non-
nursing students with a bachelor's
in another field to help them earn
a BSN at an accelerated pace.

2. Get experience. As an RN or
BSN student, gear your hands-on
practice toward acute care, which
is usually the type of experience
nurse anesthesia master's
programs require. Add that to a
year or so of experience after you
graduate, and you are well on
your way to entry in a nurse
anesthesia master's program.

3. Take pride in working long
hours. Nurse anesthetists start
their work with a patient before
the procedure ever begins, doing
a preoperative screen to
determine anesthesia needs. Of
course, they observe patients
throughout the course of recovery
from anesthesia and must be
ready to react and respond to
ongoing patient needs.

4. Enjoy people. Although they do
not see a regular set of patients
for health care exams, nurse
anesthetists still maintain direct
contact with patients, often at
some of the most critical times in
their lives. The bedside manner,
compassion and the sense of skill
they render to patients can make
a world of difference to surgical
outcomes.

5. Feel comfortable around
needles and machines. Anesthesia
comes in several forms—some
inhaled, some given through
injection, some taken orally. Along
with knowing your way around
needles, part of learning how to
become a nurse anesthetist means
understanding the pharmacology
and highly technical machinery
used to monitor patients from the
beginning of anesthesia
administration through recovery.

6. Choose a nurse anesthetist
school you like. It might have the
best reputation in the history of
academic nursing programs, but if
the location is bad for you, the
cost is too much or you simply
don't feel right when you walk
around campus, keep looking for
another school to teach you how
The school you choose should fit
your professional interests and
goals, not the other way around.

7. Complete your master's
degree. It's obvious, but crucial—
to become a nurse anesthetist,
you must complete a Master of
Science in Nursing (MSN) degree
program. Then you will have to
pass a certification exam to call
yourself a certified registered
nurse anesthetist (CRNA).

8. Prepare to work alone. CRNAs
can work in teams with an
anesthesiologist but more often
than not, you'll work as a sole
anesthesia administrator.

9. Get used to opportunities.
Advanced practice nurses such as
CRNAs have the advantage of
providing high quality, cost-
effective care at hospitals and
other health care facilities. After
you learn how to become a nurse
anesthetist, you will have to get
used to seeing extraordinary job
opportunities that suit your
credentials just about everywhere
you look.

10. Stop worrying about money.
Of course, nurses choose their
profession for far better reasons
than money. But according to the
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
2016-17 Occupational Outlook
Handbook, the median national
annual salary for CRNAs is
$153,780. Actual salaries may vary
greatly based on specialization
within the field, location, years of
experience and a variety of other
factors. National long-term
projections of employment growth
may not reflect local and/or short-
term economic or job conditions,
and do not guarantee actual job
growth. Without a doubt, CRNAs
belong to a profession that pays
accordingly for the responsibility
and expertise the job requires.

5 Likes

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Neyoalao(m): 12:48pm On May 14, 2016
lolawilliams:

Nurse anesthetists administer
anesthesia services in a wide
range of health care facilities, from
the hospital emergency room to
the dentist's office. On the
surface, the steps you need to
take to learn how to become a
nurse anesthetist would seem
fairly self-evident: complete
master's-level training in nurse
anesthesia and pass a certification
exam. Beyond those essential
requirements, however, a few
other steps are involved. Read on
to learn the top 10 steps to take
Programs and Education
nice tips there atleast i will have good news for my gf as she's planning for her nursing masters in the states.
Any tips you can offer me based on experience asper the question i asked earlier

" please what will you advise me to pursue for masters as
regards job availability and money involved in physics as am
looking to work in the states bear in mind that there are
some parts in physics that's related to the medical sector.
Please reply sir. Thanks"
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by TheArchangel(f): 3:17pm On May 14, 2016
Brigadier7:
No Sir! That isn't what I mean!! I listed those courses because they RELATIVELY have greater advantages than others!! Congrats on your Msc!
cry I will be grateful i f I receive a job invite to work at your clinic. I have a degree in nursing, RN and the works grin cool
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by TheArchangel(f): 3:21pm On May 14, 2016
johnkent:
How rigorous is CRNA training in the USA? I am interested.
I need a personal account of your work schedule, duties and responsibilities, independence and other important experiences. I have a bachelor's degree in nursing already sir.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 6:27pm On May 14, 2016
Neyoalao:

nice tips there atleast i will have good news for my gf as she's planning for her nursing masters in the states.
Any tips you can offer me based on experience asper the question i asked earlier

" please what will you advise me to pursue for masters as
regards job availability and money involved in physics as am
looking to work in the states bear in mind that there are
some parts in physics that's related to the medical sector.
Please reply sir. Thanks"
Nice decision dear. Cause science graduate are the most frustrated
unemployed graduates in
Nigeria. science courses dont
sell well here, only professional
courses and management and
administrative courses do.. And I believe u also know that.. As for your gf, it will be better if she goes for her masters in the states and as for you, physics is a pre medical course, cause American
medical schools require
courses in chemistry (organic
and inorganic), biology,
physics, mathematics, and
English (with some medical
schools requiring other/
additional courses). Cause the way you typed your question, it looks like you wanna switch to a medical field.. So your bsc in physics is not stopping you frm entering the medical field.

1 Like

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Billyjim: 6:59pm On May 14, 2016
@lola williams i study physics and have some professinal certificate in computer networking cisco to be precise is there a chance of getting job in statec with this

1 Like

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Neyoalao(m): 10:46pm On May 14, 2016
lolawilliams:

Nice decision dear. Cause science graduate are the most frustrated
unemployed graduates in
Nigeria. science courses dont
sell well here, only professional
courses and management and
administrative courses do.. And I believe u also know that.. As for your gf, it will be better if she goes for her masters in the states and as for you, physics is a pre medical course, cause American
medical schools require
courses in chemistry (organic
and inorganic), biology,
physics, mathematics, and
English (with some medical
schools requiring other/
additional courses). Cause the way you typed your question, it looks like you wanna switch to a medical field.. So your bsc in physics is not stopping you frm entering the medical field.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 11:20pm On May 14, 2016
Billyjim:
@lola williams i study physics and have some professinal certificate in computer networking cisco to be precise is there a chance of getting job in statec with this
Are u thinkin of bringing your cert to work in the states? If thats it, it can't work.. Only if you can boost it up with a master degree, and it must be done here in the states. As for the job, I dont know if you'll get a job but maybe if you can do your masters in either physics careers in healthcare or physics career in technology. You might have a 50/50 % of getting a job.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Brigadier7(m): 11:34pm On May 14, 2016
samuelkingz:
so op wat can u say of a person who studied mass communications here in naija nd plans on doin his msc in advertising and public relations there is d states.any good job prospects?
can't really boast of a first hand info about mass communication sir..but you can make your research
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Billyjim: 2:37am On May 15, 2016
lolawilliams:

Are u thinkin of bringing your cert to work in the states? If thats it, it can't work.. Only if you can boost it up with a master degree, and it must be done here in the states. As for the job, I dont know if you'll get a job but maybe if you can do your masters in either physics careers in healthcare or physics career in technology. You might have a 50/50 % of getting a job.
the board that award the certificate is from united state you should be familiar with cisco technology. infact my certificate was sent from the state
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 7:13am On May 15, 2016
Billyjim:
the board that award the certificate is from united state you should be familiar with cisco technology. infact my certificate was sent from the state
Ok I thought the cisco cert is from nigeria, you're in the states you should hlp yourself out cause am into the healthcare field not the tech or engineering field..

3 Likes

Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by Billyjim: 7:34am On May 15, 2016
lolawilliams:

Ok I thought the cisco cert is from nigeria, you're in the states you should hlp yourself out cause am into the healthcare field not the tech or engineering field..
it seems am good to go then and thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by CaraJewel(f): 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2016
Op wat about medical laboratory science....plus is it a nice course cuz i rarely hear pple talkin about it or even mentioning it
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by nelszx: 9:47am On Jun 10, 2016
CaraJewel:
Op wat about medical laboratory science....plus is it a nice course cuz i rarely hear pple talkin about it or even mentioning it

It depends on what you call a nice course. If you'd ask me it's super nice u tend to c whatever is happening to me human right in front of u. People hardly talk about them cos they are basically the "unsung heroes" cos they do the job backstage. The Dr takes the glory of these people cos they profer solutions to ones ailment.
In the US it's even a doctorate degree (DCLS) though it's still relatively young as compared other health related courses but it has helped changed the face of medicine from guess work to evidence based
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by CaraJewel(f): 9:59am On Jun 10, 2016
nelszx:

It depends on what you call a nice course. If you'd ask me it's super nice u tend to c whatever is happening to me human right in front of u. People hardly talk about them cos they are basically the "unsung heroes" cos they do the job backstage. The Dr takes the glory of these people cos they profer solutions to ones ailment.
In the US it's even a doctorate degree (DCLS) though it's still relatively young as compared other health related courses but it has helped changed the face of medicine from guess work to evidence based
Ok tnx and wat aout public Health
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by nelszx: 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2016
CaraJewel:
Ok tnx and wat aout public Health

Public health at Bsc level isn't that appreciated but at MSc level, its the bomb. That's the point where other health professionals key into the course
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by mickey45: 5:27pm On Jun 10, 2016
honey86:

Go into accounting, get chartered and start making the money.

How'd he "start making money" after being chartered?
By "chartered" you mean ICAN?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by CaraJewel(f): 7:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
nelszx:

Public health at Bsc level isn't that appreciated but at MSc level, its the bomb. That's the point where other health professionals key into the course
I hope on doin mls for Bsc...and public health as Msc
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by nelszx: 8:12pm On Jun 10, 2016
CaraJewel:
I hope on doin mls for Bsc...and public health as Msc

Not a bad one
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by joyfullad: 8:39pm On Jun 10, 2016
What about Pharmacology n Therapeutics any good prospect ?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lobito007(m): 1:46pm On Jun 11, 2016
OP, what would you say about the prospects of Msc in Mech eng in Ohio, and the US generally. How true is the gist that mech engrs hardly get jobs in the US?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by jeron1(m): 2:42pm On Jun 11, 2016
Brigadier7:
I will reply you later! I am at work right now waiting to be done in 2 hours

my sister studied nursing bsc with 2.1. I want her to relocate to either canada ir america and I was told she has to write CGNFS and english languast test exams.

please does she need to also sit for the NCLEX-RN exams. can she get a job with just CGNFS and English language test?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by jeron1(m): 2:49pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

my sister studied nursing bsc with 2.1. I want her to relocate to either canada ir america and I was told she has to write CGNFS and english languast test exams.
please does she need to also sit for the NCLEX-RN exams. can she get a job with just CGNFS and English language test?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 3:50pm On Jun 11, 2016
jeron1:

she needs NCLEX cause the first step to practising as a nurse over there is to apply for a license with a state board of nursing and the NCLEX is required by al state of boards for licensure.
The CGFNS exam is for people outside of usa who wish to access their chances of the usa registered nurse licensing exam which is the NCLEX so you can gey licensure to practice as a registered nurse in the states. so you see the CGFNS will be useless without taking the main exam NCLEX.
So the answer to your question is NO, cause she wont get licensure to work anywhere with just CGFNS and eng proficiency test.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by jeron1(m): 3:57pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

she needs NCLEX cause the first step to practising as a nurse over there is to apply for a license with a state board of nursing and the NCLEX is required by al state of boards for licensure.
The CGFNS exam is for people outside of usa who wish to access their chances of the usa registered nurse licensing exam which is the NCLEX so you can gey licensure to practice as a registered nurse in the states. so you see the CGFNS will be useless without taking the main exam NCLEX.
So the answer to your question is NO, cause she wont get licensure to work anywhere with just CGFNS and eng proficiency test.

thanks, do they write NCLEX exams in Nigeria?
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by lolawilliams(f): 4:11pm On Jun 11, 2016
jeron1:

thanks, do they write NCLEX exams in Nigeria?
No, They don't. she'll get to the states bfore she can take it.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by debris: 4:12pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:

Please what about pharmacology & Therapeutics
How is the job oppourtunites and pay there?

2. I wish to run a 1yr post graduate diploma in any health course there that pays well which of the courses should i go for with bachelors in pharmacology.

cos i intend starting bachelors again for PharmD course.
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by jeron1(m): 4:21pm On Jun 11, 2016
lolawilliams:
No, They don't. she'll get to the states bfore she can take it.
then how will she get there without a job offer?
im confuse
Re: Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America by ziinee: 4:39pm On Jun 11, 2016
princey83:
This is very similar to what is obtainable in Canada. Except the IT part, Indians have flooded that part of the job market, and Canada has a small job market due to it's low population and highly educated citizens.
100% of Nigerian educated doctors I have met working in Canada are usually into family, psychiatry and a few in ER.
I haven't met a Nigerian trained dentist though.
what about the illeterate doctors in the State?.How much do they get per month?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See Photos Of Akwa Ibom Air Flights Awaiting Delivery From Canada To Nigeria / Inside A Private Boeing 767 Chartered By Saudi Ambassador That Costs N10.8m/hr / Lagos In 1960

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.