Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,302 members, 7,954,202 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:09 PM

Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? (8809 Views)

Are Muslims Allowed To Eat Christmas Food? / Understanding The Verse Of "Beating One's Wife" / Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 22, 2016
In the name of Allah, the most beneficient, the most merciful.

Assalamu Aleikom warahmatAllah, wabarakuhu,

In many of the world's countries today, wife beating and domestic violence (which includes wife-beating) is considered a Crime according to the local law of the country or state that one may live in. So even if you're a believer in wife-beating towards wives whom you may deem to be defiant and evil after their second warning, then you should avoid this to at the very least prevent yourself from getting into serious legal trouble. I hope that you keep this in mind as you read this article and all related links in it.

In this article, I've proven that Islam does not allow wife beating, or at the very least that this interpretation is 100% valid in the Holy Quran, and wouldn't be violating to the Holy Quran's Commands, especially that Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, never beat any of his wives, and has commanded us (as you'll clearly see below) that we must never beat them. I proved that the Arabic word "idribuhunna" for "beating" was used several times in the Noble Quran to mean "to go abroad" and to "leave" a place.

[size=15pt]So this interpretation is not a heretical one in anyway! I am not one who would compromise his precious Faith, Islam, for cheap worldly gains and recognitions.[/size]

The article will be a long read, so you have to be a patient reader in order to get my message...

[size=15pt]1. Wife beating is not allowed in Islam![/size]

Wife beating anytime and for any reason is never allowed in Islam. There is however a questionable condition where Allah Almighty seems to allow the husband to beat his wife, and that is after he gives her two warnings to stop showing ill-conduct and disloyalty.

Before we start, I'd like to first say that because Arabic is a complex language, and because Allah Almighty purposely and carefully chose certain words to be placed in certain Noble Verses, I strongly believe that Allah Almighty allowed for the interpretation of NOT beating wives to be valid. In other words, a Muslim man would not be going against Allah Almighty's Divine Will if he doesn't beat his wife, and instead, deserts her by leaving the house and living for instance with his parents for a period of time until the disobedient wife comes back to her senses, which would be as equivalent as the first interpretation, since the end result is the same, which is to discipline the bad wife and to get her back on the Right Path of what makes GOD Almighty satisfied with her.

Let us look at Noble Verses 4:34-36

"(34). Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).

(35). If ye fear a breach between them twain, appoint (two) arbiters, one from his family, and the other from hers; if they wish for peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation: For Allah hath full knowledge, and is acquainted with all things.

(36). Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious;"

The Arabic word used in Noble Verse 4:34 above is "idribuhunna", which is derived from "daraba" which means "beat". The thing with all of the Arabic words that are derived from the word "daraba" is that they don't necessarily mean "hit". The word "idribuhunna" for instance, could very well mean to "leave" them. It is exactly like telling someone to "beat it" or "drop it" in English.

Allah Almighty used the word "daraba" in Noble VerseVerse 14:24
"Seest thou not how Allah sets (daraba) forth a parable? -- A goodly Word Like a goodly tree, Whose root is firmly fixed, And its branches (reach) To the heavens". "daraba" here meant "give an example". If I say in Arabic "daraba laka mathal", it means "give you an example".

Allah Almighty also used the word "darabtum", which is derived from the word "daraba" in Noble Verse 4:94, which mean to "go abroad" in the sake of Allah Almighty:

"O ye who believe! When ye go abroad (darabtum) In the cause of Allah, Investigate carefully, And say not to anyone Who offers you a salutation: 'Thou art none of a Believer!' Coveting the perishable good Of this life: with Allah Are profits and spoils abundant. Even thus were ye yourselves Before, till Allah conferred On you His favours: therefore Carefully investigate. For Allah is well aware Of all that ye do. (The Noble Quran, 4:94)"

So "daraba" literally means "beat", or "go abroad", or "give" but not in the sense to give something by hand, but rather to give or provide an example.

Important Note: Notice how Allah Almighty in Noble Chapter (Surah) 4 He used "daraba (4:34" and "darabtum (4:94)", which are both derived from the same root. He used both words in the same Chapter, which tells me that "daraba" in Noble Verse 4:34 means to desert or leave, since that's what its derived word meant in Noble Verse 4:94. The next section below will further prove my point.

I am sure there are more Noble Verses that used words derived from "daraba" in the Noble Quran, but these are the only ones I know of so far. In the case of Noble Verse 4:34 where Allah Almighty seems to allow men to hit their wives after the two warnings for ill-conduct and disloyalty, it could very well be that Allah Almighty meant to command the Muslims to "leave" the home all together and desert their wives for a long time in a hope that the wives would then come back to their senses and repent.

[size=15pt]2- Noble Verses and Sayings that support the prohibition of any type of wife beating:[/size]

The following Noble Verses and Sayings from the Noble Quran and Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him respectively seem to very well support the above interpretation:

"...Do not retain them (i.e., your wives) to harm them...(The Noble Quran, 2:231)"

"If a wife fears cruelty or desertion on her husband's part, there is no blame on them if they arrange an amicable settlement between themselves; and such settlement is best; even though men's souls are swayed by greed. But if ye do good and practise self-restraint, God is well-acquainted with all that ye do. (The Noble Quran, 4:128)"

Narrated Mu'awiyah al-Qushayri: "I went to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) and asked him: What do you say (command) about our wives? He replied: Give them food what you have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not beat them, and do not revile them. (Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 11, Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Number 2139)"

Narrated Mu'awiyah ibn Haydah: "I said: Apostle of Allah, how should we approach our wives and how should we leave them? He replied: Approach your tilth when or how you will, give her (your wife) food when you take food, clothe when you clothe yourself, do not revile her face, and do not beat her. (Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 11, Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Number 2138)"

Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: "He who believes in Allah and the Hereafter, if he witnesses any matter he should talk in good terms about it or keep quiet. Act kindly towards woman, for woman is created from a rib, and the most crooked part of the rib is its top. If you attempt to straighten it, you will break it, and if you leave it, its crookedness will remain there. So act kindly towards women. (Translation of Sahih Muslim, The Book of Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Book 008, Number 3468)"

"O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may take away part of the dower [money given by the husband to the wife for the marriage contract] ye have given them, except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and God brings about through it a great deal of good. (The Noble Quran, 4:19)"

"And among God's signs is this: He created for you mates from amongst yourselves (males as mates for females and vice versa) that you might find tranquillity and peace in them. And he has put love and kindness among you. Herein surely are signs for those who reflect. (The Noble Quran 30:21)"

"Women impure for men impure. And women of purity for men of purity. These are not affected by what people say. For them is forgiveness and an honorable provision. (The Noble Quran 24:26)"

Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The strong is not the one who overcomes the people by his strength, but the strong is the one who controls himself while in anger. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab), Volume 8, Book 73, Number 135)"

Narrated Abu Huraira: "A man said to the Prophet , 'Advise me! 'The Prophet said, 'Do not become angry and furious.' The man asked (the same) again and again, and the Prophet said in each case, 'Do not become angry and furious.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab), Volume 8, Book 73, Number 137)"

Abu Huraira reported: "I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: One is not strong because of one's wrestling skillfully. They said: Allah's Messenger, then who is strong? He said: He who controls his anger when he is in a fit of rage. (Translation of Sahih Muslim, The Book of Virtue, Good Manners and Joining of the Ties of Relationship (Kitab Al-Birr was-Salat-I-wa'l-Adab), Book 032, Number 6314)"

Allah Almighty loves those who restrain anger: "Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity; who restrain anger, and pardon (all) men; for Allah loves those who do good. (The Noble Quran, 3:134)"

To be continued.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Apr 22, 2016
[size=15pt]3- The Prophet forbade striking on the face:[/size]

Let us look at the following narrations about Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him:

Narrated Salim: "....Umar said: 'The Prophet forbade beating on the face.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Hunting, Slaughtering, Volume 7, Book 67, Number 449)"

Narrated AbuHurayrah: "The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: When one of you inflicts a beating, he should avoid striking the face. (Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 38, Prescribed Punishments (Kitab Al-Hudud), Number 4478)"

These narrations do not prove the interpretation that wife beating being ok as long as it is not done on the face, because the narrations are general and do not mention any wives. The striking could be done on our children when we discipline them. In this case, the above two narrations would fit perfectly with the situation, because while we can still physically discipline our children, we are not allowed to hit them on the face.

So in conclusion, According to the Noble Quran and the Sayings of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him above, wife beating in Islam is definetly prohibited, possibly even in the case where the wife fails after she was warned twice for her ill-conduct and disloyalty.

It is definetly a valid interpretation for Noble Verse 4:34 that Allah Almighty commanded the Muslim men to desert and leave their wives, and not to physically beat them as many scholars believe.

I personally favor this non-violent interpretation, because (1) It is very well supported in Islam as clearly and unquestionably shown above; and (2) It makes more sense and seems more practical in dealing with the bad wife who insists on showing ill-conduct and disloyalty toward her husband and family.

And Allah Almighty knows best, and may He forgive me if I made any mistake here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 22, 2016
Cc: Fundamentalist, Newnas, Empiree, Demmzy15, sino, lanreylan, Almuflihah....
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Lanreylan(m): 11:22pm On Apr 27, 2016
Jazakallah khairan for the post
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 27, 2016
Lanreylan:
Jazakallah khairan for the post
wa iyak......any contribution?
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 1:54am On Apr 28, 2016
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 2:07am On Apr 28, 2016
Dont try to interpolate it though. And I think your conclusion that man should leave the house as your last result is not last result according to Quran. Myself personally, i just hate beating anyone. But there are women who just deserve it and local law dont always protect them.

When police is called, especially if the couple is known to the authority, cops would not arrest husband. They say "this is family issue...resolve it yourself". The only way they may arrest is if there is apparent physical abuse which Quran doesn't sanction.

Another way to look at it is COUNSELLING. Husband may go through this especially with local law in effect. Counselor(s) may be able to offer resolution contrary to beating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by AlBaqir(m): 8:43pm On Apr 28, 2016
lexiconkabir:

......any contribution?

Nice presentation at OP. There is however a problem I think you run away from except you don't know. There are lots of ahadith tagged "sahih" which really show abuse of women. Some of the ahadith were even attributed to the Prophet. What is your response to that.
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 28, 2016
AlBaqir:

Nice presentation at OP. There is however a problem I think you run away from except you don't know. There are lots of ahadith tagged "sahih" which really show abuse of women. Some of the ahadith were even attributed to the Prophet. What is your response to that.

Mind quoting these ahadith and their grading with full reference
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by AlBaqir(m): 10:47am On Apr 29, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Mind quoting these ahadith and their grading with full reference

# Imam Bukhari (d. 256 H) reports:

Narrated `Aisha:

(the wife of the Prophet) We set out with Allah's Messenger (s) on one of his journeys till we reached Al- Baida' or Dhatul-Jaish, a necklace of mine was broken (and lost). Allah's Messenger (s) stayed there to search for it, and so did the people along with him. There was no water at that place, so the people went to Abu- Bakr As-Siddiq and said, "Don't you see what `Aisha has done? She has made Allah's Apostle and the people stay where there is no water and they have no water with them." Abu Bakr came while Allah's Messenger (s) was sleeping with his head on my thigh, He said, to me: "You have detained Allah's Messenger (s) and the people where there is no water and they have no water with them. So he admonished me and said what Allah wished him to say and hit me on my flank with his hand. Nothing prevented me from moving (because of pain) but the position of Allah's Messenger (s) on my thigh. Allah's Messenger (s) got up when dawn broke and there was no water. So Allah revealed the Divine Verses of Tayammum. So they all performed Tayammum. Usaid bin Hudair said, "O the family of Abu Bakr! This is not the first blessing of yours." Then the camel on which I was riding was caused to move from its place and the necklace was found beneath it.

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari, Kitab Tayammum, hadith 334
In-book reference : Book 7, Hadith 1
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 7, Hadith 330
http://sunnah.com/bukhari/7

# Imam Muslim also documents:

Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with them) reported:

Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) came and sought permission to see Allah's Messenger (ﷺ). He found people sitting at his door and none amongst them had been granted permission, but it was granted to Abu Bakr and he went in. Then came 'Umar and he sought permission and it was granted to him, and he found Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) sitting sad and silent with his wives around him. He (Hadrat 'Umar) said: I would say something which would make the Prophet (ﷺ) laugh, so he said: Messenger of Allah, I wish you had seen (the treatment meted out to) the daughter of Khadijah when you asked me some money, and I got up and slapped her on her neck. Allah's Messenger (mav peace be upon him) laughed and said: They are around me as you see, asking for extra money. Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) then got up went to 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) and slapped her on the neck, and 'Umar stood up before Hafsa and slapped her saying: You ask Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) which he does not possess. They said: By Allah, we do not ask Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) for anything he does not possess. Then he withdrew from them for a month or for twenty-nine days. Then this verse was revealed to him:" Prophet: Say to thy wives... for a mighty reward" (xxxiii. 28). He then went first to 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) and said: I want to propound something to you, 'A'isha, but wish no hasty reply before you consult your parents.....

Reference : Sahih Muslim, kitab talaq (book of divorce), hadith 1478
In-book reference : Book 18, Hadith 39
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 9, Hadith 3506
(deprecated numbering scheme)
http://sunnah.com/muslim/18

# Imam Ahmad records:

Narrated Yazid from Hemad Ibn Salama from Alee Ibn Zaid from Yusuf Ibn Mehran from Ibn Abbas who said:

'When Uthman Ibn Madh’oon died, a woman said: "Blessed you are!" The Messenger of Allah (saw) looked at her annoyingly and said: "How do you know?!" She said: "O Messenger of Allah (saw) he was your knight and companion," whereupon he (saw) said: "By Allah, I am the Messenger of Allah and I do not know what will happen to me," and when Zainab daughter of the Messenger of Allah (saw) died, the Messenger of Allah (saw) said: "Join our pious friend the good one, Uthman Ibn Madh‘oon," whereupon the women started to cry, then Umar started to beat them with his whip, so the Messenger of Allah (saw) took his hand and said: "Leave them O Umar!" And then said to the women: "Do cry, but be careful not to whoop like Satan!" He continued: "When the eye weeps and the heart becomes sad for a person, it is from Allah the Almighty and of His mercy, and what comes from the hand and the tongue it is from the Satan."

Footnote: This Hadeeth is 'Saheeh' (Authentic!)
Source: Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal. Vol 2, Page # 530 - 531.

# Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal again records through another chain that it was Ruqayyah (and not Zainab) that died.

Ibn Abbas narrated:

When Ruqayyah daughter of the Messenger of Allah (saw) died, the Messenger of Allah (saw) said: "Join our good friend, Uthman Ibn Madh‘oon," whereupon the women started to cry. Then Umar started to beat them with his whip, whereupon the Messenger of Allah (saw) said: "Let them cry!" And then said to the women: "But be careful not to whoop like Satan!" And then continued: "When the eye weeps and the heart becomes sad for a person, it is from Allah the Almighty and of His mercy, and what comes from the hand and the tongue it is from the Satan." And then the Messenger of Allah (saw) sat to the side of the grave and Faatimah was beside him crying, so the Messenger of Allah (saw) wiped the eyes of Faatima with his garment, because of his mercy upon her.

Comments: This Hadeeth is 'Saheeh' (Authentic!)

Source: Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal. Vol. 3, Pg. # 345 - 346.

# Imam Al-Shawkani also records:

Narrated from ibn Abbas who said: When Zainab daughter of the Messenger of Allah (saw) died, the women started to cry, then Umar started to beat them with his whip, and then the Messenger of Allah (saw) held Umar by his hand and said: "Leave them O Umar!" And then said to the women: "But be careful not to whoop like Satan!" And then said: "When the eye weeps and the heart becomes sad for a person, it is from Allah the Almighty and of His mercy, and what comes from the hand and the tongue it is from the Satan."

It is narrated by Ahmad. The narration is through Ibn Abbas, Alee Ibn Zaid is in it, there is some discussion about him, and he is Trustworthy, and Al-Hafiz (Dhahabi) has pointed to this Hadeeth and he is silent about it.

Source: Nayl Al-Awtaar of Al-Shawkani. Vol. 5, Pg. # 197.

# Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani summarized:

(About women in attendance at a funeral) what Ibn Abi Shayba has narrated is a proof, he has narrated it through Muhammad Ibn Amr Ibn Ata from Abi Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (saw) was in a funeral and Umar saw a woman who cried. Umar shouted at her and the Messenger of Allah (saw) said: "O Umar leave her alone!"

It is also narrated by Ibn Majah and Al-Nisa'i in this form, and they also have narrated this Hadeeth through another chain through Muhammad ibn Amr ibn Ata from Salama ibn Al-Azraq from Abi Huraira and it’s narrators are 'Thiqh (Trustworthy).

Source: Fathul Bari Sharh Saheeh Al-Bukhari. Vol. 4, Pg. # 18 - 19.

* Umar’s attitude after the death of the Holy Prophet

# Imam Ibn Hajar Asqalani:

The quotation of Bukhari says that Umar brought out the sister of Abu Bakr when she mourned. It has been narrated by Ibn Sa’d through a 'Saheeh' (Authentic) chain from Al-Zuhri from Zahri from Sa‘eed Ibn Mosayyib who said: When Abu Bakr died, A'isha held a gathering in which eulogies had been read for him. Umar was informed of it, so he forbid them from doing so and ordered Hisham Ibn Al-Walid: "Bring Umme Farwa out for me!" Then he lashed her when the news reached the mourners they escaped. And Ishaq Ibn Rahwaih quoted this in his Musnad in another form from Al-Zahri and it is reported in it, "He brought out the women one by one and beat them with his whip."
Source: Fathul Bari Sharh Sahih Al-Bukhari. Vol. 6, Pg. # 225.

Imam Jarir Al-Tabari also documents:

Narrated Younus from Ibn Wahab from Younis Ibn Yazid from Al-Zahri from Sa’eed Ibn Mosayyib who said: 'When Abu Bakr died, A'isha held a mourning gathering for him in which eulogies had been read, Umar was informed of it, so he came to her door and forbade them from mourning on Aboo Bakr. They (the women) refused, so he (Umar) said to Hisham Ibn Al-Walid: "Enter and bring out for me the daughter of Abi Qohafa, sister of Abi Bakr," when A'isha heard this she said to Hisham: "I forbid you from entering into my house!" Umar said to Hisham: "Enter, I allow you to do that!" So Hisham entered and brought out Umme Farwa sister of Abi Bakr to Umar, whereupon Umar started beating her with his whip for a while, when the mourners heard this they escaped.

Source: Tarikh Al-Tabari. Vol. 3, Pg. # 423.

How authentic is the report of Imam Jarir Tabari? The status of his reported five narrators in the book of Rijal by Imam al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani are as follows:

1. Younus Ibn Abd Al-A’laa

Ibn Maysara Al-Sadafi, Aboo Musa Al-Misri, 'Thiqah' (Trustworthy!), one of the narrators of 10th generation, ... he has narrated in Saheeh Muslim, Al- Nisa'i and Ibn Majah.
Source: Taqreeb Al-Tahdheeb. Pg. # 542, Person # 7907.
Abdullah Ibn Wahab

Ibn Muslim Al-Qorashi their slave, Aboo Muhammad Al-Misri, the Jurist, 'Thiqah' (Trustworthy!) Hafiz a good worshipper...has narrated in the 'Saheeh Al-Sittah.'
Source: Taqreeb Al-Tahdheeb. Pg. # 271, Person # 3294.

2. Younus Ibn Yazid

Ibn Abi Al-Najad Al-Iaylee, Aboo Yazid Mawla Aal Abi Sufyan: 'Thiqh' (Trustworthy!) when it is through Al-Zahri, and they are few, but through other than Al-Zahri it is false... narrated in the Saheeh Al-Sittah.
Source: Taqreeb Al-Tahdheeb. Pg. # 543, Person # 7919.

3. Ibn Shahab Al-Zahri

Muhammad Ibn Muslim Ibn Obaidallah Ibn Abdullah Ibn Shahab Ibn Zohra Ibn Kilaab Al-Qorashi Al-Zahri, Aboo Bakr, Al-Faqih 'Narrator of Hadeeth' Al-Hafiz 'Jurist': All agreed upon his superiority and Truthfulness narrated in the Saheeh Sittah.
Source: Taqreeb Al-Tahdheeb. Pg. # 440, Person # 6296.

4. Sa’eed Ibn Mosayyib

Ibn Hazn Ibn Abi Wahab Ibn Amr Ibn Hahiz Ibn Mehran Ibn Makhzoom Al-Qorashi Al-Makhzoomi, one of the Trustworthy scholars and of the great Fuqaha, all are agreed over his Mursal (hurried) that are the most authentic, Ibn Al-Madini said: "There is no one among Al-Tabe’een to the extent of his knowledge narrated in the Saheeh Al-Sittah.
Source: Taqreeb Al-Tahdheeb. Pg. # 181, Person # 2396.
All the narrators in this report are trustworthy. So the report from Imam al-Tabari is undoubtedly authentic.

# Imam al-Hakim Al-Nishaburi give us another record:

It was narrated that Ash'ath bin Qais said: "I was a guest (at the home) of Umar one night, and in the middle of the night he went and hit his wife, then he called me and said to me: 'O Ash'ath, learn from me something that I heard from the Messenger of Allah (saws) saying, "A man should not be asked why he beats his wife, and ask not which one of his brother he trusts or does not trust and do not go to sleep until you have prayed the Witr."

Comments: Al-Hakim: The chain is Saheeh 'Authentic' but they (Bukhari and Muslim) have not narrated it.
Al-Dhahabi: It is Saheeh (Authentic)

Source: Al-Mustadrak ala Al-Sahihain. Vol. 4, Pg. 194. H # 103/7342.

# Imam Malik Ibn Anas equally document another account:

Yahya related to me from Malik that Abdullah ibn Dinar said, "A man came to Abdullah ibn Umar when I was with him at the place where judgments were given and asked him about the suckling of an older person. Abdullah ibn Umar replied, 'A man came to Umar ibn al-Khattab and said, 'I have a slave-girl and I used to have intercourse with her. My wife went to her and suckled her. When I went to the girl, my wife told me to watch out, because she had suckled her!' Umar told him to beat his wife and to go to his slave-girl because kinship by suckling was only by the suckling of the young'.

Comments: Narration is Saheeh Mawqoof 'Authentic from a Tab'ee.
Source: Mutwaata Malik. Vol. 3, Pg. # 1403.

# Imam Ibn Abi Shaybah:

Narrated Abd Al-A’laa from Mo’ammar from Al-Zuhri from Anas who said: Umar saw a slave-girl wearing Hijab then he beat her and said: "Do not make yourself like free women!"

Narrated Alee Ibn Mos’har from Al-Mokhtar Ibn Folfol from Anas Ibn Malik who said: A slave girl of Muhajirun or Ansaar came to Umar wearing Jilbab (complete Hijab), he said: "Have you been freed?" She said: “No!” He said: “Put it off your head.” Jilbab is for the freed women. So she hesitated, so he got up to her with the whip (darrah), and he hit her on the head, until she threw it."
Source: Al-Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah. Vol. 3, Pg. # 128

# Allamah Nasir al-Din Al-Albani:

Narrated Abd Al-A’laa from Mo’ammar from Al-Zuhri from Anas. (Al-Albani: I say: This chain is Authentic, if Al-Zuhri heard it from Anas) Narrated Alee Ibn Mos’har from Al-Mokhtar Ibn Folfol from Anas Ibn Malik who said: A slave girl of Muhajirin or Ansaar came to Umar wearing Jilbab (complete Hijab), he said: "Have you been freed?" She said: “No!” He said: “Put it off your head!” Jilbab is for the freed women. So she hesitated, so he got up to her with the whip (Darrah), and he hit her on the head, until she threw it."

Al-Albani: I say: This this is Saheeh 'Authentic' by the criteria of Muslim.
Source: Irwaa Al-Ghalil. Vol. 6, Pg. # 204.

# Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani:

Narration of Umar: "Take off your your veil, you stinky! Are you resembling yourself to free women?" I haven’t seen it in this form, but it is famously known that Umar has beaten a slave-girl who had veil and he said "Take off your veil, and do not resemble yourself to free women", it has been narrated by AbdulRazaq through an Authentic chain. And from Abdulrazaq from Ibn Jarij who said: "Umar beat Aqeela a slave-girl of Abi Musa because she wore Jilbaab (full veil)."

And Ibn Abi Shayba recorded another incident through an Authentic chain from Anas that: Umar saw a slave-girl wearing Jilbaab (Full veil), whereupon he said: "Have you been freed?" She said: “No! He said: “put it off your head.” Jilbaab is for the freed women. She hesitated, so he went up to her with the whip (Darrah), and he hit her on the head, until she threw it. And narrated it Muhammad ibn Al-Hassan in Al-Athaar from Abi Hanifa from Himad from Ibraheem that Umar used to beat the slave-girls who wore veil and used to say: "Do not resemble yourselves to free women!"
Source: Al-Diraya Fi Takhrij Ahadeeth Al-Hidayah. Vol. 1, Pg. # 124.

# Allamah Al-Albani again writes:

Al-Bayhaqi has narrated through Hamad Ibn Salama from Thamana Ibn Abdullah Ibn Anas from his grandfather Anas who said: "The slave-girls of Umar were serving us with uncovered hair and their breasts were shaking."

Al-Albani: The chain of this Hadeeth is 'Jayyid' (at a level between Hasan and Saheeh) and all of it’s narrators are trustworthy except the teacher of Bayhaqi Abul Qasim Abdul Rahman Ibn Ubaidullah Al-Harbi and he is very Truthful as Al-Khatib says and Al-Bayhaqi said: "And the reports from Umar Ibn Al-Khattab concerning that matter are authentic."

Source: Irwa Al-Ghalil. Vol. 6, Pg. # 204.

These are few ahadith in this regard.

2 Likes

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by AlBaqir(m): 11:03am On Apr 29, 2016
Empiree:
Dont try to interpolate it though. And I think your conclusion that man should leave the house as your last result is not last result according to Quran. Myself personally, i just hate beating anyone. But there are women who just deserve it and local law dont always protect them.

I agree with you brother. I think the writer based his conclusion on a very remote meaning. Quran says:

"...and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

The bold are the three steps to be taken in such cases. Running away from the literal meaning of "beat" doesn't help out. How and its extent is the point to be focus on. "Beating" is a way of reminder. There are some pigheaded that admonition doesn't work for them. Then abandon their bed and do not talk to them. If yet they persist then "beat".

The Arabic translated as misconduct (نشوز) literally means a combination of disobedience and arrogance. One would fear such conduct when signs of misconduct have appeared. Hence, the three stages of treatment are proposed only after misconduct has occurred. Before this misconduct one must advise them.

Misconduct must be defined. A husband does not have the right to force his wife to perform any household duties. Hence, he cannot command her to do the dishes or cook him dinner. Furthermore, he cannot punish her if she does not obey these commands. Misconduct here means committing major sins, such as certain types of unethical behavior that would cripple most marriages. This will be further explained when with the quotes from books of Islamic jurisprudence.

Then, when the misconduct appears the three forms of treatment can be used in order. This means that first, one should try to keep away from them before the stage of striking occurs. The process of starting with minor punishment leading to heavier punishment is rational.

The controversial issue that is raised is how can Islam permit a man to physically hit his wife? The answer to this question lies in properly understanding the verse and coupling it with authentic Islamic traditions. The issue of hitting one’s spouse has been mentioned in books of Islamic jurisprudence, for instance:

Sayyid Sistani states in Minhaj al-Salihin: “Misconduct (نشوز) can appear from the wife or husband. Regarding the wife it occurs when she leaves the obedience of her husband in matters which are obligatory for her to comply with (such as refusing to have sexual relations)…not when she refrains from obeying him in matters which are not obligatory upon her, such as serving in the house.” Regarding the strike: “It cannot cause the skin to turn black or red.”

Therefore, the striking must be soft. It cannot result in a bone being broken, an injury, or even a bruise. This amount of a strike is also only reserved when all other methods of preventing misconduct has been exerted. Furthermore, it would be an extreme measure that is unlikely to solve severe marriage disputes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by laidima88(m): 11:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
Dnt try to twist allah's word to please the westerners,all sacred text in the quran is absolute and infallible.I think its obvious from the verse itself that allah(swt) statement does not necessarilly denote beating woman that is why suggestions are made in steps from the verse unless those in whose heart is a disease of hypocrisy trying to twist it.The word doraba and its real meaning(to beat) cant be abrogated from the verse as it is the verb which suits the sentence so and the most widely accepted ,to strike lightly is allowed in the extreme case which i knw its impossible to attain rationally which automatically means beating is not allowed as its not of the sunnah of the prophet(pbuh).

2 Likes

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 12:33am On May 01, 2016
^
Even in the west they beat the holy crap out of their women for any slight provocation.

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Zahrabinnta(f): 9:47am On May 01, 2016
Empiree:
^
Even in the west they beat the holy crap out of their women for any slight provocation.
Are you actually saying it is right to beat women up and you would do it if you felt you were being provoked ?

2 Likes

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 10:47am On May 01, 2016
Zahrabinnta:

Are you actually saying it is right to beat women up and you would do it if you felt you were being provoked ?
Is that the point raised in my post ?. What's your understanding of the verse of Qur'an actually ?
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Zahrabinnta(f): 12:42pm On May 01, 2016
Empiree:
Is that the point raised in my post ?. What's your understanding of the verse of Qur'an actually ?
Is it not ? You said some women deserved to be beaten

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 2:05pm On May 01, 2016
Zahrabinnta:

And What's wrong with that? . What is it you don't understand from the 3 steps verse of the Holy Qur'an highlighted?.

What does the last resolution means to you?

The verse is NOT mutashabiat (i:e allegorical). It's rather muhkamat (i:e plain). Op however is trying to interpret the word 'doraba'

Even 'Qur'anites' interpretation of the word still fall within the first and second resolutions just like op did. They say doraba means "word of advice", "admonition" etc. But Quran already highlighted that in the first and second options.

You however are missing the point. You don't understand.

#A good woman would have corrected her ways the first time.

#A good woman would have corrected her ways the second time.

#It's only a b!tch that would not yield and would want to get beat up. I'm sure you are not, are you?

Please watch the video I posted earlier clearly explains it. Even beating mentioned by the Qur'an is not to physically effects her skin or cause physical injuries. You happy now? grin

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 9:10am On May 02, 2016
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 9:14am On May 02, 2016
Empiree:
And What's wrong with that? . What is it you don't understand from the 3 steps verse of the Holy Qur'an highlighted?.

The verse is NOT mutashabiat (i:e allegorical). It's rather muhkamat (i:e plain). Op however is trying to interpret the word 'doraba'

Even 'Qur'anites' interpretation of the word still fall within the first and second resolutions just like op did. They say doraba means "word of advice", "admonition" etc. But Quran already highlighted that in the first and second options.

#It's only a b!tch that would not yield and would want to get beat up. I'm sure you are not, are you?

Please watch the video I posted earlier clearly explains it. Even beating mentioned by the Qur'an is not to physically effects her skin or cause physical injuries. You happy now? grin

she is only just a woman...
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 11:26am On May 02, 2016
lexiconkabir:

she is only just a woman...
yea, I know she's worried

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by AlBaqir(m): 12:05pm On May 02, 2016
Empiree:

#It's only a b!tch that would not yield and would want to get beat up.

Exactly the point. And we can appreciate the strictness of Islam that even if you are to "beat", it must never be beating that will leave bruises rather very soft.

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 02, 2016
Zahrabinnta:

beating doesnt mean beating to brutality, infact you cant strike the face(not even lightly)....it can be likened to hitting the hand with a miswak.....this is why some Quran translations put "lightly, if it is useful" in a braket......but you need not to worry....you aint a bad woman that wouldnt behave properly after the first 2 stages(i assume)....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Zahrabinnta(f): 9:53pm On May 02, 2016
Empiree:

Lol,ok I've heard

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by usermane(m): 2:48am On May 03, 2016
Does wife beating resolve marital problem? A wife that persist on her misbehaviour even after admonishment and separation from bed by her husband will most likely not amend her ways if hit by her husband. It is common sense people, we are not dealing with kids here, we dealing with adults; full grown women. Striking such a woman would result in her either striking back which may culminate in a violent fight or her taking a more drastic reaction that would affect the family adversely. Women in general do not stand any kind of beating, however light it is. Period.

Another thing the condoners of wife beating forget is that the husband may be overbearing and wrong in his judgement of the issue at hand. If the wife is on the right side, you don't expect her cooperate with her man after his "admonishment" or separation from her bed. You think such a wife deserve to be beaten like a child? Please think!

As a side note, I think Empiree is the worst poster on this section chiefly because he present ridiculous justification to back controversial assertions like wife beating. How does the occurrence of wife beating in western communities justify wife beating espoused by orthodox Muslim scholars. A wife can call the cops on her husband for hitting her and press charges in the west, whereas traditional Muslim women are taught that it is her husband 's right to beat her to correct her.

I believe wife beating is a poor step in addressing marital misunderstanding, capable in escalating into a full blown fight or some other severe or drastic measure from the wife. Rarely does it resolve disputes.

4 Likes

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 5:27am On May 03, 2016
^ Mister usermane, you do not address the topic, sir.

Too much talks. Husband misconducts or demands is another topic. I was going to talk about that as well bcus relationships is 2-way street. But in this particular verse, we know what it is saying. There is no need to complicate it. Now, save me your epistle for a moment and give us your understanding of the verse. Quran gives 3 steps to solve the issue. Forget about local laws, cultures etc. JUST THE VERSE. What's your understanding of it?.

Thank You

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by usermane(m): 7:35am On May 23, 2016
I need not to address the topic, Empiree. It goes beyond saying that your wife beating is not convincing from the Quranic point of view. That is why at this point, I go with pull away for the divorce as the interpretation for "idribuhunna". It may not be perfect; but it is the most accurate interpretation I have found for the verse.

This is as far as am willing to go, do not expect further clarification or analysis from context and semantics, considering how much disrespect I get here. This section has not really changed since I left and this is no surprise to me. I had an eventful 2 years going lenghth to share my understanding in this section and when you look at this, it wasnt easy for me. There ve been a lot of Muslims who tried but failed to do what I did. They knew there are lot of problems with the culture and religion of mainstream Muslims that need to be acknowledged. Maybe they lacked the patience and perseverance to discuss them as I did.

I knew there was no freedom of expression with the kind of moderators you have here. You must accept their overbearance or face ban. I respected all the Nairaland policies for posting but I knew it was never enough.
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 5:49pm On May 23, 2016
^

I don't recall asking you for how you feel about "islam section". Take ur concern to MOD or NL founder. Everyone can not be satisfied.

Address the topic or forget it.

Divorce you brought up is another subject and has its own sura devoted to it in the Qur'an.

On this topic, Quran is clear on "do ra ba". You are getting worse everyday by interpreting "idribuhunna" to mean divorce undecided

The ayah is PLAIN & CLEAR. It is NOT allegorical so why interpreted it?

1 Like

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by usermane(m): 2:46am On May 24, 2016
Typical Empiree. Talk all u want about me going further "astray" or being "Dajjal". But you fail to prove the wisdom or logic behind wife beating as a means to address a misbehaving wife. You know that for all laws in the Qur'an, there is wisdom and logic. You know that no neutral listener will consider wife beating as a tenable solution to marital misunderstanding. Hence, you & your posse continue to drag this issue of wife beating over and over and over again. I doubt, you even comprehend the verse beyond that word "idribuhunnah".
I do not have time to explain my conclusion and deduction on the verse to persons who can't appreciate the literary context and logic in Quranic verses. For anyone who can see the error in the traditional interpretation of the verse in question and seek a better interpretation, there is enough lead in my post to proceed on personal research and inquiries.

3 Likes

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 3:46am On May 24, 2016
^

Thanks for your contributions but no thanks. "Astray", "dajjal"...I am glad you perfectly described who you are. There isnt' anything complicated about the verse. And you continue to muddle "beating" as if I am advocate. My previous post clear the air. Keep it up brother.
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by usermane(m): 5:43am On May 24, 2016
Empiree:
^

Thanks for your contributions but no thanks. "Astray", "dajjal"...I am glad you perfectly described who you are. There isnt' anything complicated about the verse. And you continue to muddle "beating" as if I am advocate. My previous post clear the air. Keep it up brother.

Tell it to the birds, Fella. You are an advocate of wife beating, domestic abuse or violence.

3 Likes

Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by Empiree: 11:08am On May 24, 2016
usermane:

Tell it to the birds, Fella. You are an advocate of wife beating, domestic abuse or violence.
grin grin

Easy tiger. Why you keep twisting me? You are getting worse EVERYDAY
Re: Wife Beating In Islam Allowed? by laidima88(m): 9:39pm On May 28, 2016
When you guys keep disputing a verse as clear as this, what if it was the biblical version of this same topic ?
We muslims are not those who will conceal some part of the scripture,so lets address issue the way it is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ruling On Giving Medicine To The Patient Without His Knowledge / Animals For Upcoming Eid Sacrifice / The Virtues Of The Month Of Sha'ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.