Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan (45503 Views)

The Way Iheanacho Was Begging Musa To Pass The Ball Is Actually Very Funny - Pic / Blind Femi Opabunmi Duped By Fake Pastors And Imams / Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by eyesofgod: 11:11am On Apr 26, 2016
koice:

You made an even bigger blunder than the guy you were supposed to be correcting. Opabumni played for golden eaglets at the Trinidad & Tobago Under 17 world cup held in in 2001.

Japan/Korea World cup was held in 2002, and Opabumni didn't make the list.

He made the list bros. It was Onigbinde that was the head coach and Femi was his boy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femi_Opabunmi
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Phemostiga(m): 11:13am On Apr 26, 2016
Unblockable:
According to the report, he played the FIFA U-17 Championship in 2011 that means he should either be 16 or 17 then. If I'm not mistaken, that means he was born around 1984/85. And if he's born around 1984/85, then he should just be 31 or 32yrs now. Definitely, if that's the case, his wife should be between 27 to 30. So why would he say his wife and kids are hungry when his wife is still young enough to make money either by hook (business, office work) or by crook (whatever that means)? I also blame him for 'chopping' all his money then.

The guy is definitely not 31 or 32. He should be in his 40s. And that's the disadvantage of those ridiculous age they keep parading as their official (football) age.
bros u are wrong..he played for super eagles 2002
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by BossDanniee(m): 11:13am On Apr 26, 2016
Career don finish

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by xender(m): 11:15am On Apr 26, 2016
adadioranmah:
Plus Flash share and xender
sad
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by ican2020: 11:16am On Apr 26, 2016
lofty900:
I don't know him, but what did he do with all the money he made during his playing days? Police recruitment is still on jor, go and apply and pray
Probably he bought Jeeps and goes clubbing without thinking of tomorrow.

The village headmaster turned coach Festus Adegboye Onigbinde took him to world cup, where Nigeria failed woefully because of the incompetence of this village man Festus Adegboye Onigbinde
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by hifaif1: 11:26am On Apr 26, 2016
Holudarey01:
He said it with his mouth.
When he was making millions, he didn't invest.
Now he's @ ground zero. Now tell me can Mikel be poor? Not in this generation. Dude has a lot of investments

You are not fair with your conclusion!!! This is like comparing the career of Tuface with that of the late Nomoreloss!!!

If you remember the time when Mikel was without a club (at a time when Man Utd and Chelsea were battling over him), he was in Naija, training with guys!!! If his career had somehow ended then, would you be using him as an example today? He would also probably be begging today because prior to getting signed to Chelsea, he played for a small club that probably paid little!!!

Opabunmi was a fantastic player who unfortunately had a very unsuccessful career!!! There was not enough to invest with and moreover, the little he had was what went into catering for himself and his family!!! I listened to the story of how he spent all his savings on his eye problem without any positive result!!! It was the same eye problem that made him lose his position in his club and that eventually saw him back in Nigeria!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 26, 2016
naptu2:

shocked Ha! Then who was the left winger that scored against Japan at the 2001 U17 World Cup in Trinidad and Tobago?

Who was the left winger that was the star of Nigeria's team that got to the final of the 2001 U17 World Cup??

By the way, the Korea/Japan World Cup was held in 2002, not 2000.
My bad. I became aware of femi against England. Yes Korean /Japan was in 2002. Around UI that period, the debate was the who is younger between him and ogbeche.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Dinocarex(m): 11:29am On Apr 26, 2016
Icon4s:

Femi Opabunmi.

He has been in this state for some time.
Also reminds me of the last days of Rashidi Yekini.

Problem is most of these guys think they can play football and retire at 60 or 65 jst like every other profession. They often forget the life span of a footballer's career is very short.

Femi simply did not manage his resources well.

I know a good number of footballers that were hit by health set backs very early in their careers but they are not begging today.

Let all well meaning Nigerians come to his aide in any possible way.

lalasticlala and mynd44 u too can play your parts in helping Femi.

I have been seeing different post but don't know why I choose yours to reply.
I knew Femi during his early days, he is a good guy, hardworking guy and his mind was set to play football to the top level.
I don't know if you believe in Spiritual things. When Femi was playing in the local league, he had no problem. His problem started when he went to Korea/Japan 2002. He came back, bought a yellow Mercedes Benz 220. That's when his problem began.

He will be one on one with goal post and he will still lose the ball. When asked, he says.... The post turned 2 and he didn't know which one to score into. Instead of attacking the problem spiritually, he was diagnosed of a eye problem. But strangely, the eye problem only affect him when he is playing football and no where else.

He spent his little savings treating spiritual problem medically.

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Unblockable: 11:34am On Apr 26, 2016
jossi994:
dude, it was 2001 not 2011
Typo. . .
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by naptu2: 11:35am On Apr 26, 2016
hifaif1:

You are not fair with your conclusion!!! This is like comparing the career of Tuface with that of the late Nomoreloss!!!

If you remember the time when Mikel was without a club (at a time when Man Utd and Chelsea were battling over him), he was in Naija, training with guys!!! If his career had somehow ended then, would you be using him as an example today? He would also probably be begging today because prior to getting signed to Chelsea, he played for a small club that probably paid little!!!

Opabunmi was a fantastic player who unfortunately had a very unsuccessful career!!! There was not enough to invest with and moreover, the little he had was what went into catering for himself and his family!!! I listened to the story of how he spent all his savings on his eye problem without any positive result!!! It was the same eye problem that made him lose his position in his club and that eventually saw him back in Nigeria!!!

+100

He was the star of the team at T&T 2001, but he didn't really achieve success beyond that, so I'm wondering where all the millions that some people are talking about came from.

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by 4peace(m): 11:39am On Apr 26, 2016
koice:

You made an even bigger blunder than the guy you were supposed to be correcting. Opabumni played for golden eaglets at the Trinidad & Tobago Under 17 world cup held in in 2001.

Why una they make blunder blunder here grin grin grin grin

He played for Nigeria[5] and made his debut in 2002 against Kenya scoring the second goal in a 3-0 win.[6] He was a participant at the 2002 FIFA World Cup playing against England in the last group stage match becoming the 3rd youngest player to ever play in the World Cup finals after Norman Whiteside and Samuel Eto'o.[7] Thereafter, he has not been called again for the national team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femi_Opabunmi
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by oziegbep(m): 11:40am On Apr 26, 2016
@icon4s
your mouth dey smell gan
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Olabestonic001(m): 11:41am On Apr 26, 2016
koice:

He actually did played at both W/Cup.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by happney65: 11:43am On Apr 26, 2016
hifaif1:

Dont mind people..They would be shouting wetin he use he's money do when in essence they did not know what he went through..I know how the issue of he's eye problem started..its being long he's being battling it..For we folks in Ibadan,we know it was just a matter of time before he goes broke..No matter how rich you might be,if you got a health challenge,your whole money might vanish within a twinkle of an eye and you would be at the mercy of people..Opabunmi visited so many places looking for solution,he was even duped countless number of times..

I pray we wont have such..However,i am not saying those who got money should lavish it,however,people do get problem..Opabunmi had one and he seems not to have being able to conquer it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by thecardinal(m): 11:43am On Apr 26, 2016
Head coach: Festus Onigbinde No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Club 1 GK Ike Shorunmu 16 October 1967 (aged 34) 34 Lucerne 2 DF Joseph Yobo 6 September 1980 (aged 21) 14 Marseille 3 DF Celestine Babayaro 29 August 1978 (aged 23) 24 Chelsea 4 FW Nwankwo Kanu 1 August 1976 (aged 25) 33 Arsenal 5 DF Isaac Okoronkwo 1 May 1978 (aged 24) 12 Shakhtar Donetsk 6 DF Taribo West 26 March 1974 (aged 28) 38 1. FC Kaiserslautern 7 MF Pius Ikedia 11 July 1980 (aged 21) 9 Ajax 8 MF Mutiu Adepoju 22 December 1970 (aged 31) 49 Salamanca 9 FW Bartholomew Ogbeche 1 October 1984 (aged 17) 4 Paris Saint-Germain 10 MF Jay-Jay Okocha (c) 14 August 1973 (aged 28) 56 Paris Saint-Germain 11 MF Garba Lawal 22 May 1974 (aged 28) 34 Roda JC 12 GK Austin Ejide 8 April 1984 (aged 18) 3 Gabros International 13 DF Rabiu Afolabi 18 April 1980 (aged 22) 5 Standard Liège 14 DF Ifeanyi Udeze 21 July 1980 (aged 21) 15 PAOK 15 MF Justice Christopher 24 December 1981 (aged 20) 7 Royal Antwerp 16 DF Efe Sodje 5 October 1972 (aged 29) 7 Crewe Alexandra 17 FW Julius Aghahowa 12 February 1982 (aged 20) 17 Shakhtar Donetsk 18 FW Benedict Akwuegbu 3 November 1974 (aged 27) 16 Shenyang Haishi 19 DF Eric Ejiofor 21 July 1979 (aged 22) 12 Maccabi Haifa 20 MF James Obiorah 24 August 1978 (aged 23) 2 Lokomotiv Moscow 21 MF John Utaka 8 January 1982 (aged 20) 4 Al-Sadd 22 GK Vincent Enyeama 29 August 1982 (aged 19) 2 Enyimba 23 MF Femi Opabunmi 3 March 1985 (aged
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by JoeBlocks(m): 11:45am On Apr 26, 2016
lanicky:
This is what insurance and good health system would have avoidedsad

Vote Lanicky as Miss Nairaland 2016
Insurance, good health system Come on men! Did you ask yourself what he did with all the money he was paid when he played football actively?

Sentiment, I beseech thee to do away with.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by hifaif1: 11:45am On Apr 26, 2016
naptu2:

+100

He was the star of the team at T&T 2001, but he didn't really achieve success beyond that, so I'm wondering where all the millions that some people are talking about came from.

Honestly, bro, it is just plain ignorance and a knack for jumping into conclusions!!!

There is a certain Yoruba actor who is always moving about on foot and in public buses in Ife. One day, a friend of mine said "How can this man not have a car with all the millions they make?"

It got me wondering "which millions?"

I think some certain people just believe that all actors, footballers, musicians, and anyone into showbiz are multimillionaires!!!

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by 4peace(m): 11:47am On Apr 26, 2016
JoeBlocks:
Insurance, good health system Come on men! Did you ask yourself what he did with all the money he was paid when he played football actively?
Sentiment, I beseech thee to do away with.

So all town-crier please tell me how the dude made his money which you guys alleged squandered.

Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2001 Shooting Stars
2001–2004 Grasshopper 14 (0)
2004 Hapoel Be'er Sheva 11 (1)
2004–2006 Niort 7 (0)
2006 Shooting Stars
National team
2001 Nigeria U17 6 (6)
2001-2002 Nigeria 3 (1)

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by vickydevoka(m): 11:48am On Apr 26, 2016
Come to Jos u will see plenty of his kind whom has played for U-17 n no longer playing football buh yet are trying to carve out a niche for themselves. # Real hustles don't wait
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by vickydevoka(m): 11:48am On Apr 26, 2016
Come to Jos u will c plenty of his kind whom has played for U-17 n no longer playing football buh yet are trying to carve out a niche for themselves. # Real hustlers don't wait.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Unblockable: 11:49am On Apr 26, 2016
chigoizie7:

Lolz,
Someone who is 17 as @ 2011 can't be born in 1984/85 bro.
Just saying
You should know it was a typo. .
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by hifaif1: 11:49am On Apr 26, 2016
happney65:

Dont mind people..They would be shouting wetin he use he's money do when in essence they did not know what he went through..I know how the issue of he's eye problem started..its being long he's being battling it..For we folks in Ibadan,we know it was just a matter of time before he goes broke..No matter how rich you might be,if you got a health challenge,your whole money might vanish within a twinkle of an eye and you would be at the mercy of people..Opabunmi visited so many places looking for solution,he was even duped countless number of times..

I pray we wont have such..However,i am not saying those who got money should lavish it,however,people do get problem..Opabunmi had one and he seems not to have being able to conquer it

Thank you for filling this in!!!

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by JoeBlocks(m): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2016
4peace:

So all town-crier please tell me how the dude made his money which you guys alleged squandered.

Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2001 Shooting Stars
2004–2006 Niort 7 (0)
2006 Shooting Stars
National team
2001 Nigeria U17 6 (6)
2001-2002 Nigeria 3 (1)

Please you should know quoting wikipedia is not reliable cos anyone can go there and edit it.

Now, I believe you know he played for Nigeria as well as some clubs abroad? So the question is, what did he do with all the money he was paid while he played for Nigeria and played abroad?
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Praktikals(m): 11:55am On Apr 26, 2016
lofty900:
But what did he do with all the money he made during his playing days?
When a man has a complicated past and an uncertain future, even extremely foolish people have advice for him. #OluwaPickMyCall.

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by AbdulHaram(m): 11:57am On Apr 26, 2016
Oh, my God! What kind of a country is this? Buhari, have you seen what you caused? angry angry
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by AbdulHaram(m): 11:58am On Apr 26, 2016
He was supposed to be living large but now he's a poor beggar. And Buhari can't do anything about it!! angry
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by JoeBlocks(m): 11:58am On Apr 26, 2016
happney65:

I believe Kanu Nwankwo also had heart problem some time ago, how come we don't see him walking around begging?
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by 4peace(m): 11:59am On Apr 26, 2016
JoeBlocks:
Please you should know quoting wikipedia is not reliable cos anyone can go there and edit it.

Now, I believe you know he played for Nigeria as well as some clubs abroad? So the question is, what did he do with all the money he was paid while he played for Nigeria and played abroad?

Do you know how much he was paid?

Since we have short memory in this country i dont know if you will remember what happened to National team in 2002 world cup.

And for abroad are you the one taking care of his family since his problem started?

A player made 14 appearance for his club from 2001-2004 and you are asking for how he spend the money.(Which money I ask again)

Saying Wikipedia is not reliable source is just typical naija dude who want face saving when losing it. angry angry

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by chigoizie7(m): 12:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
Unblockable:

You should know it was a typo. .

Nope, it's not a typo.

U made a mistake, accept it.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by robosky02(m): 12:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
this was one future star we waited for so long to shine.......
was the youngest Nigerian to play at the world cup (japan/korea 2002) along side with beckam and owen

but never kai

please NIGERIANS we must not allow this to happen to him
govt or Seun self can rally people to give him a new lease of life

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by FunmyKemmy(f): 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2016
Such is life.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by lancebaba(m): 12:03pm On Apr 26, 2016
Femi Opabunmi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Femi Opabunmi Personal information
Full name Femi Opabunmi
Date of birth 3 March 1985 (age 31)
Place of birth Lagos, Nigeria
Height 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)
Playing position Left-winger
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2001 Shooting Stars
2004–2006 Niort 7 (0)
2006 Shooting Stars
National team
2001 Nigeria U17 6 (6)
2001-2002 Nigeria 3 (1)

* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 February 2012 (UTC).
† Appearances (goals)

Femi Opabunmi (born 3 March 1985) is a former Nigerian football player, who last played for Shooting Stars FC. In 2008, he went on an eye surgery and has not played professional football since then.[1]
Career

He played for a few clubs, including Shooting Stars FC, Grasshoppers Zürich (Switzerland) and Chamois Niortais in France.[2] He studied at Methodist High School Ibadan and played for the Methodist High School Ibadan Old Boys.[3] Serious eyes problems stopped his career since 2006.[4]
International career

Opabunmi scored a goal to help Nigeria win the African U-17 Championships in 2001. With Collins Osunwa out with injury he became Nigeria's key player at 2001 FIFA U-17 World Championship where he scored a hat-trick against Australia and won him the Silver Shoe as second highest goalscorer and also the Bronze Ball as third best player in the tournament, helping Nigeria to reach the final where they lost to France. He attracted attention from clubs such as Manchester United, Lyon and Celta Vigo.

He played for Nigeria[5] and made his debut in 2002 against Kenya scoring the second goal in a 3-0 win.[6] He was a participant at the 2002 FIFA World Cup playing against England in the last group stage match becoming the 3rd youngest player to ever play in the World Cup finals after Norman Whiteside and Samuel Eto'o.[7] Thereafter, he has not been called again for the national team.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arsenal Player Salaries 2017-18 (clubs Wage Bill Revealed) / Ousmane Dembele Fined €10,000 For Leaving Rented Home ‘like A Dustbin’ / NBA Teammates Pranked A Basketballer By Filling His ₦50.6m Audi R8 With Popcorn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.