Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan (45510 Views)

The Way Iheanacho Was Begging Musa To Pass The Ball Is Actually Very Funny - Pic / Blind Femi Opabunmi Duped By Fake Pastors And Imams / Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by happney65: 12:04pm On Apr 26, 2016
JoeBlocks:
I believe Kanu Nwankwo also had heart problem some time ago, how come we don't see him walking around begging?

And can you compare the career of Kanu to that of Opabunmi?Do you think children born in the 2000's would ever know who opabunmi is?Kanu played at the highest level of football..wining champions league,nations cup,olympic,won the African Player of the Year award twice..He's one of Nigeria's most successful players if not the most successful.So where did Opabunmi Play ohh?He's career was affected by he's sickness so why the comparism?Habba

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by JoeBlocks(m): 12:05pm On Apr 26, 2016
4peace:

Do you know how much he was paid?

Since we have short memory in this country i dont know if you will remember what happened to National team in 2002 world cup.

Saying Wikipedia is not reliable source is just typical naija dude who want face saving when losing it. angry angry
When loosing what mr man? Wikipedia is not a reliable source! That is a thing known to anybody who wants to know. Period!.

How much was he paid? I believe he has team mates right? Didn't he collect match bonuses? And what happened to the national team in 2002?
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Unblockable: 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2016
chigoizie7:

Nope, it's not a typo.

U made a mistake, accept it.

Wetin this one dey yearn? How is it possible for me to say somebody was 17 in 2011 but 32 in 2016? Does it make sense to you? I wanted to write 2001, not 2011. Why am I even arguing sef?!
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by JoeBlocks(m): 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2016
happney65:

And can you compare the career of Kanu to that of Opabunmi?Do you think children born in the 2000's would ever know who opabunmi is?Kanu played at the highest level of football..wining champions league,nations cup,olympic,won the African Player of the Year award twice..He's one of Nigeria's most successful players if not the most successful.So where did Opabunmi Play ohh?He's career was affected by he's sickness so why the comparism?Habba
The basis for comparism here is the sickness. Nothing more, nothing less.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by 4peace(m): 12:10pm On Apr 26, 2016
JoeBlocks:
When loosing what mr man? Wikipedia is not a reliable source! That is a thing known to anybody who wants to know. Period!.

How much was he paid? I believe he has team mates right? Didn't he collect match bonuses? And what happened to the national team in 2002?

I asked you question,if you dont know it inform me.Stop using question to answer question.

Thanks
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by iamrealdeji(m): 12:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
I knew this guy back in early 2000's I was really young then but I know he had a one minute fame then and I later stopped hearing about him. I doubt if I remember somewhere like that exists since then,not until now that his name pops up. This is not ordinary sha o
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by profmallory(m): 12:30pm On Apr 26, 2016
Any one can be poor in their very generation... may God not allow the devil have his way on you. Read your bible.. JOBs wealth disappeared right be fore his eyes. And he was a billionaire

Holudarey01:
He said it with his mouth.
When he was making millions, he didn't invest.
Now he's @ ground zero. Now tell me can Mikel be poor? Not in this generation. Dude has a lot of investments
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by titosantana(m): 12:38pm On Apr 26, 2016
Wow!

I saw this guy twice at Adamasingba stadium in Ibadan around 2001 2002, he was so full of himself. I remembered vividly how he used to ignore guys hailing him, I still remembered clearly the disdain look he gave karate and badminton coaches (these people were old enough to father him) who were tasking him for money.

Life.....It pays to be humble and reasonable.

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by halmeyd(m): 12:42pm On Apr 26, 2016
shala01:

He did not play for under 17. He played for SE at the Korean /Japan 2000 claiming 17years than.

u re wrong!! korea japan was in 2002,he was 19 den nd he had played at d u-17 world cup in 2000(nigeria lost to france 3-0 in d final )
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by happney65: 12:44pm On Apr 26, 2016
JoeBlocks:
The basis for comparism here is the sickness. Nothing more, nothing less.

The case of Kanu is different from that of opabunmi..Opabunmi is still battling he's own..Kanu isnt..Kanu had a transplant years ago and living well.Opabunmi hasnt found a solution to he;s own and has affected him and still affecting him..
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 26, 2016
Please give the young man a job so he can get a life
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by iamrealdeji(m): 12:45pm On Apr 26, 2016
hifaif1:

You are not fair with your conclusion!!! This is like comparing the career of Tuface with that of the late Nomoreloss!!!

If you remember the time when Mikel was without a club (at a time when Man Utd and Chelsea were battling over him), he was in Naija, training with guys!!! If his career had somehow ended then, would you be using him as an example today? He would also probably be begging today because prior to getting signed to Chelsea, he played for a small club that probably paid little!!!

Opabunmi was a fantastic player who unfortunately had a very unsuccessful career!!! There was not enough to invest with and moreover, the little he had was what went into catering for himself and his family!!! I listened to the story of how he spent all his savings on his eye problem without any positive result!!! It was the same eye problem that made him lose his position in his club and that eventually saw him back in Nigeria!!!

but why didn't he stay abroad? It's better for him to do menial jobs there than here
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by ndosorry: 12:45pm On Apr 26, 2016
It's false alarm pple. Stop tarnishing his image. Make attempt to verify any story before posting it. The person you pple saw in Ibadan was his look alike not Femi. If doubt, go back there again.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by happney65: 12:48pm On Apr 26, 2016
titosantana:
Wow!

I saw this guy twice at Adamasingba stadium in Ibadan around 2001 2002, he was so full of himself. I remembered vividly how he used to ignore guys hailing him, I still remembered clearly the disdain look he gave karate and badminton coaches (these people were old enough to father him) who were tasking him for money.

Life.....It pays to be humble and reasonable.

And why where they tasking him for Money?Shey them put money for hin pocket nii?Na wahoo for we Nigerians sha
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by JoeBlocks(m): 12:49pm On Apr 26, 2016
happney65:

The case of Kanu is different from that of opabunmi..Opabunmi is still battling he's own..Kanu isnt..Kanu had a transplant years ago and living well.Opabunmi hasnt found a solution to he;s own and has affected him and still affecting him..
You remember what Kanu did when his own sickness started right?
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Rajosh(m): 12:50pm On Apr 26, 2016
I don't feel sorry for him at all. He's only blind in one eye and as such not handicapped. I know of a guy who's crippled in both feet in kano yet he doesn't beg. He makes shoes and bags for a living. Opabumi played abroad and must have made money (no matter how poorly paid he was) more than an average civil servant yet we don't see them begging. He once made mention of Odemwingie being the only one who has given him money at one point in time. He feels his colleagues have abandoned him. I don't blame them at all
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by iamrealdeji(m): 12:58pm On Apr 26, 2016
Dinocarex:

I have been seeing different post but don't know why I choose yours to reply.
I knew Femi during his early days, he is a good guy, hardworking guy and his mind was set to play football to the top level.
I don't know if you believe in Spiritual things. When Femi was playing in the local league, he had no problem. His problem started when he went to Korea/Japan 2002. He came back, bought a yellow Mercedes Benz 220. That's when his problem began.

He will be one on one with goal post and he will still lose the ball. When asked, he says.... The post turned 2 and he didn't know which one to score into. Instead of attacking the problem spiritually, he was diagnosed of a eye problem. But strangely, the eye problem only affect him when he is playing football and no where else.

He spent his little savings treating spiritual problem medically.

hmmmmmn, what an enligntening comment. "O ye ko ti tete to awon agba lo" .I once heard about Okocha visiting Okija shrine and Kanu visiting Guru Maraji. I bet they also faced such spiritual challenges at the peak of theier careers. Maybe Kanu's heart problem is spiritual as well because it was also at the peak of his career

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 26, 2016
hifaif1:

You are not fair with your conclusion!!! This is like comparing the career of Tuface with that of the late Nomoreloss!!!

If you remember the time when Mikel was without a club (at a time when Man Utd and Chelsea were battling over him), he was in Naija, training with guys!!! If his career had somehow ended then, would you be using him as an example today? He would also probably be begging today because prior to getting signed to Chelsea, he played for a small club that probably paid little!!!

Opabunmi was a fantastic player who unfortunately had a very unsuccessful career!!! There was not enough to invest with and moreover, the little he had was what went into catering for himself and his family!!! I listened to the story of how he spent all his savings on his eye problem without any positive result!!! It was the same eye problem that made him lose his position in his club and that eventually saw him back in Nigeria!!!

Bros, I did a show on opabunmi 3-4 weeks ago, so I know exactly what I'm saying.
Please check naij.com via google , you'll see the details about him. He said it with his mouth that when he was making millions, hr didn't invest.
He thought life would forever be green.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by titosantana(m): 1:06pm On Apr 26, 2016
happney65:

And why where they tasking him for Money?Shey them put money for hin pocket nii?Na wahoo for we Nigerians sha

Yea it shouldn't be, but it has become a tradition in Nigeria.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by ipreach: 1:08pm On Apr 26, 2016
Thats why everybody need to plan for the future even everything is greensh
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 26, 2016
halmeyd:

u re wrong!! korea japan was in 2002,he was 19 den nd he had played at d u-17 world cup in 2000(nigeria lost to france 3-0 in d final )

u re wrong.
U-17 world cup was in 2001
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 26, 2016
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Regrets
Opabunmi said he has a house which he built
in Ibadan, his current abode. Apart from that
he does not have any other investment. His
greatest regret is the fact that he did not
invest his millions when he made them:
“When I was up there I didn’t invest wisely but
I thought life was sweet and it will be going
upward like that. If I have invested wisely I will
not be looking up to anybody. It is the
problem that came my way and it’s a lesson
to others that are coming up. You can learn
from someone mistakes to achieve is life.”
He urged footballers who are coming up and
the ones playing professionally to invest their
money wisely as football is not a lifetime
career for anyone:
“Upcoming footballers, anything you earn
when you are playing, you invest to avoid
Had-I-known. This football is not for long oh,
if not for my eyes problem I will still be
playing but I will advise them to invest .”
Opabunmi said he had attempted suicide at
some low points of his life but he was saved.
“I have attempted suicide severally but God’s
Grace is keeping me alive.
“For now I am doing nothing at all. My friends
give me money sometime. My wife is a
teacher and the little she earn she bring to the
table. I am living in poverty.”
https://www.naij.com/778226-special-report-grace-grass-journey-super-eagles-player.html
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by baby124: 1:16pm On Apr 26, 2016
When small money come, na girls and club. Money na spirit. E no de stay one place. Be wise with money and invest properly. Especially in your family and yourself, so you can have something to fall back on. At least if the wife had a business now...
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by yinkslinks(m): 1:31pm On Apr 26, 2016
True bro devil has visited him. this guy made world cup from nowhere. onigbede's boy. chai naija is full of evil
pyyxxaro:
I remember this guy angry

Devil wicked oh

When ur village people decide to ON infrared and Bluetooth for @thesame time

Make una fear this God sad

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by histemple: 1:34pm On Apr 26, 2016
shala01:

He did not play for under 17. He played for SE at the Korean /Japan 2000 claiming 17years than.

Please who has chain?
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by yinkslinks(m): 1:34pm On Apr 26, 2016
Pray to God never to be attacked by the devil bro.
Rajosh:
I don't feel sorry for him at all. He's only blind in one eye and as such not handicapped. I know of a guy who's crippled in both feet in kano yet he doesn't beg. He makes shoes and bags for a living. Opabumi played abroad and must have made money (no matter how poorly paid he was) more than an average civil servant yet we don't see them begging. He once made mention of Odemwingie being the only one who has given him money at one point in time. He feels his colleagues have abandoned him. I don't blame them at all
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 1:35pm On Apr 26, 2016
But one of his interview I read. Osaze Odemwinge helps him to pay for his kids school fees.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by eyekaynoble: 1:36pm On Apr 26, 2016
dicefrost:
Should i feel sorry for him now? He played football for a while, at least he came by some money. What did he do with it?

Yes, u should. He had eye problem during his active days and that was what ended his career. He is half/almost blind now. If u can't help him financially, then u can help him by not criticising him.

1 Like

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Odigokogadi: 1:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
shala01:

He played for the under 17 in 2001.
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 26, 2016
histemple:

Please who has chain?
Have you asked your mum
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 26, 2016
histemple:

Please who has chain?
Have you asked your mum
Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by lanicky(f): 2:14pm On Apr 26, 2016
Super eagles player are usually underpaid. If he had been playing for a long time, we can agree that he should have saved money but even with that, an average professor in Nigeria will also languish in the hospital when funds and savings run out. A Nigerian footballer with no other means of income is as good as poor.

JoeBlocks:
Insurance, good health system Come on men! Did you ask yourself what he did with all the money he was paid when he played football actively?

Sentiment, I beseech thee to do away with.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Messi Surprised By Magical Ronaldo Showing / Russian Boxer, Maxim Dadashev Dies After Fight / Nicolas Pepe Becomes Africa's Most Expensive Player

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.