Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,151 members, 7,842,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43518 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2009
viaro:

Do have a great weekend. wink

I wish. I am working all weekend. But thanks. have fun yourself wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 4:48pm On Oct 17, 2009
chukwudi44:

The act is is there any pentecostal church that preaches this version of tithing ?,they all insist on a percentage of 10 and a mandatory obligation of all members this is what I am preaching against

That is quite sensible - and there was no need for the initial misrepresentations and frayed nerves. I may not agree with you that 'ALL' Pentecostal Churches preach a mandatory 10%, though. However, I understand what you are preaching against; but that is not the same thing as condemning tithe completely altogether.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 5:01pm On Oct 17, 2009
Zikkyy:

Let me clarify. When I said Non-Jews, I meant modern day Christians and not people that lived over hundreds/thousands of years before Christ. What I meant to say was “God did not speak about tithe to Christians either?” Maybe you can direct your comments at this. Ignore what I said earlier as your interpretation differs from what I had in mind. Thanks.

That's okay.

To improve your understanding of my position, i think its best I give you a summary.
1. I don’t attempt to force my belief on others (pro-tithers you might say). In any forum where the issue of tithing is discussed, we all share our views. Persuading a tither to change his/her belief system could result in calamity for the tither. It has to be a personal thing (to tithe or not to tithe). If you ask me Viaro, it’s the other way round. i.e. prosperity (tithe taking the center stage), is being preached by various churches/ministers with such passion,  it begins to feel like they  are on a mission to tithe the world. Tithing was not really an issue in the past (say fifteen years ago).
2. I don’t and never had issues with people that chose to give a percentage of their earnings to the church out of personal convictions and believes there is a benefit for doing this. It’s their money.
3. I don’t have issues with people inspired by the fact that even Abraham tithed also chose to give a % of their earnings to the church. It’s their money.
4. I will disagree when the other party attempts to either convince me to tithe or convince me of the benefits by referring to the Mosaic Law as justification cos its not true.
5. I will comment/disagree with any church or minister that preaches the need for tithing based on the “irrelevant” Mosaic Law cos it to fraud. It’s used to compel members to tithe.

That's fine with me, and your position is noted and respected.

From your posts, I can infer the following;

1. You don’t agree with church members being sweet-talked, compelled or put in a state of fear by the minister in an attempt to convince tithing.
2. You believe tithing should be based on personal conviction (and not because Moses told the Israelite to render a tenth of their farm produce to the Levites)

That's just about it, thank you. smiley

The only aspect I can I cannot easily infer from your post is if I would reap benefits (financial, spiritual, health e.t.c) that ordinarily will not accrue to me as a non-tither. Apart from for this, I can say that if my deductions are correct, then there is no basis for us to be arguing.

That's okay, and indeed there should be no basis for the long discourse (although quite an interesting dialogue). As earlier, I consider the great divide between anti-tithers and pro-tithers quite unnecessary, which was why my earlier statement that 'it does not matter to me one way or another what anyone does or argues about the subject, both anti-tithers or tithers alike'. No single argument (whether anti-tithing or pro-tithing) on this subject holds sway as law for the Body of Christ.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2009
Zikkyy:

I think from my discussion with Viaro, He/She is not in support of this as well. The part i dont understand is it appears she does like anti-tithers trying to make the tithers see church actions from this perspective. Maybe, Viaro feels its an attempt to make them stop tithing. I might be wrong but thats what i read from some of Viaro's posts.

(the edits are mine, apologies).
Yes, you captured it in a nutshell. It's true that I disapprove of the typical anti-tithing arguments to make all believers completely stop tithing - that is unnecessary and quite unspiritual. That does not mean on the other hand that pro-tithes must make all believers tithe. . or else! Either extremes are to be avoided.

Zikkyy:

Maybe you take life too seriuosly Viaro. Is it worth it? You can still engage in a serious discussion and have fun (enjoy) as well. As long as you are not dont insult or disrespect others. Make everything you do fun and you be a better person.

Nada. . I don't take life too seriously, lol. I was just wondering what I might've done to deserve your lawn tennis grand slam! cheesy Don't worry, I'm just recovering - it's got to be fun afterwards.

Zikkyy:

I wish. I am working all weekend. But thanks. have fun yourself wink

I don't envy you! grin
Look at me, I'm supposed to be on break and dread going back to the office. But enjoy!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2009
That is quite sensible - and there was no need for the initial misrepresentations and frayed nerves. I may not agree with you that 'ALL' Pentecostal Churches preach a mandatory 10%, though. However, I understand what you are preaching against; but that is not the same thing as condemning tithe completely altogether.

Do you mind telling me any pentecostal church that does not preach mandatory tithing?

Am yet to see one at least here in Nigeria where I live
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 4:44pm On Oct 18, 2009
chukwudi44:

Do you mind telling me any pentecostal church that does not preach mandatory tithing?

The reason why at least 90% of these pentecostal churches are established is becos of the tithes, offerings and seed sowing they covet from members of the church.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 6:26pm On Oct 18, 2009
chukwudi44:

Did you say 'any'? Then here's just one example I know of: Calvary Chapel:

[list]As far as giving is concerned, you will not find most Calvary Chapels placing an excessive amount of time on asking people to give financially to the church. Chuck Smith's philosophy is "Where God guides, He provides." Even though Calvary Chapels believe and teach that tithing and giving are a very important part of a believer’s life, people are not made to feel that they must give under compulsion.
http://www.aromaofchrist.com/calvary_chapel.htm [/list]

You don't have to judge the Body of Christ or any group of people on the basis of what happens in the small locality where you live. I have made that mistake in the past, and I'm not in a hurry to repeat it.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2009
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental?
« #424 on: October 15, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Tonye-t, you need to stop this nonsense! Did Apostle Paul live off the Gospel? If tithe was such a requirement Jesus would have DEMANDED it as well as the Apostles that took over spreading the Gospel afterwords. The devil is a very smart dude to the point that he has taken over some of the so called "churches" to the point that they're preaching nonsense instead of the true Gospel of Christ.
Nothing stops a "pastor" from taking a real job instead of running a scam that has no Scriptural ground, no wonder Jesus Christ pointed out that even some of them that performed miracles in his name will be denied on that great day, if someone wants to give 10% or more out of their own conviction, that is fine but they should not be "shamed", cajoled, or even scared into thinking that 10% tithing is a requirement of Salvation.
Being a "pastor" should not be because you couldn't get a real job, it should come out of a true desire to serve God and not profit from the Gospel of Christ. Our God doesn't dwell in temples built with human hands, support your "pastor" if you can but you face no condemnation if you are unable to support the pastor, the orphan, the widow or the stranger. Enough of this heresy

[Font=trebuchet ms]Dear Ogajim,
Are you saying I should stop the Nonsense Jesus Instructed? or I Should stop telling folks the truth that you and I both know deep deep down inside the heart?

Ok I see, you prolly waiting for Jesus Christ to appear in your dreams and say to you [U] HEY MY SON OGAJIM, I AM JESUS CHRIST THE SAVIOUR OF YOUR LIFE, PLS I BEG YOU START PAYING YOUR TITHE HENCEFORTH[/u] Pathetic, who says Jesus never demanded it? I always feel like laffing each time I hear peeps saying Jesus never demanded so so and so from us now I ask you Do you know that even Jesus himself demanded more from us?
[/font]

Mark 10:21- Jesus felt genuine love for this man as he looked at him.[b] "You lack only one thing," he told him. "Go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor , and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me NLT
[/b]

Now the big puzzle is this, if Jesus could tell us (I wont be surprised to see some folks still come up here and say this passage doesn’t apply to us. . .hmmm) to give up our all (including all our monies) to follow him, then why do we feel so hard fisted to JUST LET GO OF A TENTH. Wouldn’t that mean the act of GREED? And hope you know how God resent greedy folks

1 Cor 5:11
[b]11 But now I write to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of [Christian] brother if he is known to be guilty of immorality or GREED
, or is an idolater [whose soul is devoted to any object that usurps the place of God], or is a drunkard or a swindler or a robber. [No] you must not so much as eat with such a person.
AMP
[/b]

[li] My case is this, must you need to hear Jesus say it time and time again to give tithe, b4 we adhere, isn’t a word enough for the wise? Afterall, do you mean to tell me that because he only talked about little or nothing about fasting meant it has no basis today?
OR
Is it that WE ARE REFUSING TO PAY OUR TITHE SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE WAY OUR MOGs HAVE ABUSED AND TRAMPLED ON THE ACT? If the later is our reason, then we definitely need a rethink, a true word is enough for the wise [/li]
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 2:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
@Tonye-t and other tithe preaching heretics.
2 Peter 2:1-3:
The Danger of False Teachers
1 But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. 3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

I can't think of a better example of clever lie than the jewish tithes, first fruit and seed sowing twisted from old testament scripture and adapted for exploitation in the mordern church.

Titus 1:11:
11 They [false teachers]must be silenced, because they are turning whole families away from the truth by their false teaching. And they do it only for money.

Modern day tithing is a perfect example of false teaching the writer was talking about.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by PastorAIO: 2:50pm On Oct 19, 2009
wow!  Jesus asked a man to sell everything he owned and give the money to . . . eh? . . . hang on?  . . . give the money to . . .  the poor.  Boy, I thought for a moment he was going to say 'and give the money to your pastor'.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 3:02pm On Oct 19, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Tonye-t and other tithe preaching heretics.

There's no need to resort to this type of attitude. You may choose to disagree with him rather and discuss your disagreements.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 3:04pm On Oct 19, 2009
Pastor AIO:

wow!  Jesus asked a man to sell everything he owned and give the money to . . . eh? . . . hang on?  . . . give the money to . . .  the poor.  Boy, I thought for a moment he was going to say 'and give the money to your pastor'. 

The poor also give to others - we need to balance issues and not cherry pick verses to point against others if those quoting the texts have not first obeyed them.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 3:05pm On Oct 19, 2009
hey pastor AIO before you start pecking and picking have you read this scriptures?

1Cor.9:14 - In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

How are they to live without the support from the gospel, . . dont act hypocritical, read scriptures b4 you talk wink

And to Mr.KunleOshod,

Bro, dont you have points again, or are you dry, mr.Anti-tither  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 3:07pm On Oct 19, 2009
To Viaro,

leave him alone, his been well known to be sensitive especially when he lacks points to butress his vain and baseless arguments, he is my brother i know him very well cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 3:15pm On Oct 19, 2009
Tonye-t:

To Viaro,

leave him alone, his been well known to be sensitive especially when he lacks points to butress his vain and baseless arguments, he is my brother i know him very well cheesy cheesy cheesy

Okay, Tonye-t. I'll take your advice and ignore him henceforth. wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 3:28pm On Oct 19, 2009
I trust that as Christians we can all show example to non-Christians. Maybe my mistake is because I live in a different world from those who are used to regularly discussing such controversial topics. Even then, we may all learn to hold one another in high esteem for the sake of Christ's love; especially because no single argument can make anybody more spiritual than another person.

Take, for example, what Tonye-t said recently in post #455:

Tonye-t:

[Font=trebuchet ms]Pathetic, who says Jesus never demanded it? I always feel like laffing each time I hear peeps saying Jesus never demanded so so and so from us[/font]

I certainly may not agree with that statement as regards tithes; but even so, at least, I can have the heart to let Tonye-t have his convictions rather than shout him down or brand him names. He certainly has not asked me money nor has he argued that he 'must' have my tithes. But if I come down to the level of calling him a 'heretic' just because I disagree with his interpretations, does that make me a more spiritual Christian than Tonye-t?

Why is it that many anti-tithers never take time to reflect on their attitude when discussing topics in a public forum? Attitudes that quickly condemn our Christian brethren are not helping to demonstrate the 'love' we preach. I hope this would help some people think carefully before branding others names . . merely on disagreements. I like to commend the example of Zikkyy in handling this subject: we may see differently, but I can be thankful for his maturity and Christian love.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 4:11pm On Oct 19, 2009
Tonye-t:

[Font=trebuchet ms]Dear Ogajim,
Are you saying I should stop the Nonsense Jesus Instructed? or I Should stop telling folks the truth that you and I both know deep deep down inside the heart?

Ok I see, you prolly waiting for Jesus Christ to appear in your dreams and say to you [U] HEY MY SON OGAJIM, I AM JESUS CHRIST THE SAVIOUR OF YOUR LIFE, PLS I BEG YOU START PAYING YOUR TITHE HENCEFORTH[/u] Pathetic, who says Jesus never demanded it? I always feel like laffing each time I hear peeps saying Jesus never demanded so so and so from us now I ask you Do you know that even Jesus himself demanded more from us?
[/font]

[/color]

[color=#000099]Now the big puzzle is this, if Jesus could tell us (I wont be surprised to see some folks still come up here and say this passage doesn’t apply to us. . .hmmm) to give up our all (including all our monies) to follow him, then why do we feel so hard fisted to JUST LET GO OF A TENTH. Wouldn’t that mean the act of GREED? And hope you know how God resent greedy folks

[b][/b]

[li] My case is this, must you need to hear Jesus say it time and time again to give tithe, b4 we adhere, isn’t a word enough for the wise? Afterall, do you mean to tell me that because he only talked about little or nothing about fasting meant it has no basis today?
OR
Is it that WE ARE REFUSING TO PAY OUR TITHE SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE WAY OUR MOGs HAVE ABUSED AND TRAMPLED ON THE ACT? If the later is our reason, then we definitely need a rethink, a true word is enough for the wise [/li]

Tonye-t shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is the kind of twisting of the Gospel that many so called "anti-tithers" fight against, giving to the poor, widows, strangers, orphans, etc. I don't see where the Bible said the "church" knows better how to spend your money for you.
Each of us will have to "work out his/her salvation with fear and trembling", I don't have a problem with members who decide to "bless" their "pastor" with something but it should not be forced, cajoled, etc.
The only Christian condition fulfilled by going to a "Church" is fellowship because "iron sharpens iron" and is not the "enchilada", some get "saved" in a "Church" but the heart and Soul is where Christ dwells in which is why the devil is after that, I am tempted to tell Tonye-t to get a job but I don't know if he just moonlights as a "pastor" cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

MOG, was reserved for Angels right?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 4:32pm On Oct 19, 2009
Tonye-t:

hey pastor AIO before you start pecking and picking have you read this scriptures?

How are they to live without the support from the gospel, . . dont act hypocritical, read scriptures b4 you talk wink
And to Mr.KunleOshod,
Bro, dont you have points again, or are you dry, mr.Anti-tither cheesy cheesy cheesy

Trust me i can never stop or slow down my campaigm against the evil and heretical preaching of compulsary mordern day tithing. However i decided to take a back sit since there are others also very well equpped to fight this scam on this forum. that apart my 'girlfriend' pilgrim.1 is back on the forum and she has a way of getting under my skin and infurating me with her scriptural gynastics and 'skillfull' manipulation of doctrine. It would actually be healthier for me to just sit back and let others point out her delusions to her rather than doing it personally. I would just continue to remember her in my prayers and hopes she repents from this false teachings b4 it is too late.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
ogajim:

Tonye-t shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is the kind of twisting of the Gospel that many so called "anti-tithers" fight against, giving to the poor, widows, strangers, orphans, etc. I don't see where the Bible said the "church" knows better how to spend your money for you.
Each of us will have to "work out his/her salvation with fear and trembling", I don't have a problem with members who decide to "bless" their "pastor" with something but it should not be forced, cajoled, etc.
The only Christian condition fulfilled by going to a "Church" is fellowship because "iron sharpens iron" and is not the "enchilada", some get "saved" in a "Church" but the heart and Soul is where Christ dwells in which is why the devil is after that, I am tempted to tell Tonye-t to get a job but I don't know if he just moonlights as a "pastor" cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

MOG, was reserved for Angels right?

@ Ogajims,

1. All you've been saying so far are TWISTING TWISTING TWISTING, cant you just come up with a bible verse that reject the practse of tithing explicitly rather than arguing baselessly so far, becos i just promised not to do any biblical quoting for you again as it appears i know you type

2. If you come up here to tell me that the only essence of going to church is to get sharpened by another iron, then bro, you're far behind

3. Bro, i aint no pastor, as it appears you just came along and joined the bandwagon of anti-tithers without standing abase with happenings from the origin

God bless you! wink wink wink cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 5:53pm On Oct 19, 2009
Tonye,

God bless you too!

I have seen your "work" on other threads so there is no need to continue this with you because it seems you benefit from this scam one way or another or you won't under normal circumstances be defending it "to the death", reserve your stuff for the academia not NL.
The whole essence of Christ's work was love for one another, care for the widows, orphans, strangers in "your gates", etc and not tithe. He admonished the "scribes and pharisees for their tithes of mint, cumin, dill, etc" and "forgetting the weightier matters of the law" . In case you forgot, those are FARM produce/spices or produce of the LAND. When he needed to pay temple tithe, he paid with "2 shekels", when TITHE was required, money was not to be used or if you follow Mosaic law, you were actually penalized for using money.
I am sure you will need the Bible verses for these too shocked shocked shocked shocked, I am not against supporting your clergy but it should not be under FALSE PRETENSES/ASSUMPTIONS. Remember the "building" doesn't make the Christian, the Christian makes the "building, "where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there", I could go on. Giving should be from the heart and or one's own free will, anything less is not Christian. Little wonder that Nigeria's so called "MOGs" are exporting Christianity to the "West" and the country remains a failed state at best, Charity ought to begin at HOME.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 6:00pm On Oct 19, 2009
Tonye-t:

@ Ogajims,

1. All you've been saying so far are TWISTING TWISTING TWISTING, cant you just come up with a bible verse that reject the practse of tithing explicitly rather than arguing baselessly so far, becos i just promised not to do any biblical quoting for you again as it appears i know you type

@Tonye-t
Stop being dishonest you know hebrews 7:5-19 not only out laws tithing it also condenms it as a weak, useless and unprofitable practise. tongue
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 6:04pm On Oct 19, 2009
Other scriptural evidence against this unhealthy greed for church collections in the excuse of collecting money for "God"

Acts 17:24-25:

24 “He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn’t live in man-made temples[church buildings], 25 and human hands can’t serve his needs—for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything, and he satisfies every need.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 6:46pm On Oct 19, 2009
ogajim:

When he needed to pay temple tithe, he paid with "2 shekels", when TITHE was required, money was not to be used or if you follow Mosaic law, you were actually penalized for using money.

But calm down. . . calm down. cheesy May I ask: who penalised anyone for using money as tithes? Who? Where? When? How is it that people make such blank statements in the idea that their own arguments are all there is to the topic?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:53am On Oct 20, 2009
Maybe i should start becoming all the more cautious with my posts lest they assume that

TONYE-T = VIARO = BOBBYAF = GENTLEME = all pro-tithers

One person said
Tonye-t = Viaro grin

another said
Viaro = Pilgrim 1 grin

another said
Tonye-t = Ludacrious grin

while yet another
Tonye-t = Gentle Me grin when these are peeps i barely even know anything about, the best is to check our post or a good moderator should check from the background

Pharisees said
Jesus Christ = Belizebulb

One day they will say that
Tonye-t = seun cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

May God help me!  smiley smiley smiley
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:55am On Oct 20, 2009
@ Ogajim and KunleOshod,

i pormise to reply you guys when i m free for my break today

stay blessed!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 7:03pm On Oct 20, 2009
ogajim:

I have seen your "work" on other threads so there is no need to continue this with you because it seems you benefit from this scam one way or another or you won't under normal circumstances be defending it "to the death", reserve your stuff for the academia not NL.

If you consider the rate Tonye-t quotes 1 Cor 9:14, it's possible he is protecting his gratuity grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 3:02pm On Oct 21, 2009
viaro:

But calm down. . . calm down. cheesy May I ask: who penalised anyone for using money as tithes? Who? Where? When? How is it that people make such blank statements in the idea that their own arguments are all there is to the topic?

Viaro: Leviticus 27:28-35 laid out the tithe system for the Children of Israel.

I have not seen anywhere on NL where "pro tithers" answer the question of the current tax system that we live under and how it relates or comes from the old tithe system. Tithe was never about money or else we would see instances where "craftsmen", or other non farm/produce related "professions" were made to pay. The system suffered abuse even then hence Malachi writing about it before Jesus Christ himself was chasing them out of the Temple for "turning my father's house into a den of thieves"

This and other Scriptural abuses might just be the "Spiritual wickedness" we ware warned to arm ourselves against because asking a "broke" man, widow, orphan to pony up some cash so the "MOG" can add to his fleet of SUVs or what have you has got to be from the devil to say the least. Jesus was not different from his disciples or they wouldn't need him to be betrayed with a kiss.
It our duty as Christians to help others and not expect even a thank you because we are doing it for our Lord but it is NOT OUR DUTY to buy a "pastor" a bigger house, newer car, nicer suits, etc. If people decide to "bless" him with any or all of the above, than can do so as long as it comes from their heart.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 4:17pm On Oct 21, 2009
ogajim:

Viaro: Leviticus 27:28-35 laid out the tithe system for the Children of Israel.

Dear sir, I asked you specific questions, not about how the tithe system was laid out for the children of Israel. I would be delighted if you could answer that/those specific questio(s); and if there are no answers you can provide, it would be even nicer to simply say you went off the tangent. As far as Leviticus is concerned, nobody was "penalised" for using money as tithes -none! If there was any such case (even in the Leviticus 27:28-35 that you quoted), then please show us WHO was actually "penalised" accordingly.

I have not seen anywhere on NL where "pro tithers" answer the question of the current tax system that we live under and how it relates or comes from the old tithe system.

That's not the question I asked you, my guy. As far as I'm concerned, taxes and tithes are not mixed up in Scripture - they are NOT the same things. If you argue that they are the same, you will find yourself in a difficult position bereft of any answers if you and I are to discuss them. So, I'll just ask that you throw that unncessary argument out.

Tithe was never about money or else we would see instances where "craftsmen", or other non farm/produce related "professions" were made to pay. The system suffered abuse even then hence Malachi writing about it before Jesus Christ himself was chasing them out of the Temple for "turning my father's house into a den of thieves"

Malachi does not provide grounds for Jesus' reaction that you referred to. I'm still waiting to see where you got the idea that anyone was "penalised" for money tithes - that was the simple question I asked following from your bold assertion that such was the case.

This and other Scriptural abuses might just be the "Spiritual wickedness" we ware warned to arm ourselves against because asking a "broke" man, widow, orphan to pony up some cash so the "MOG" can add to his fleet of SUVs or what have you has got to be from the devil to say the least. Jesus was not different from his disciples or they wouldn't need him to be betrayed with a kiss.

Please ogajim, I still have not found your answers for the bold statement you made about someone being penalised for tithing money. May I ask again: "who penalised anyone for using money as tithes? Who? Where? When?" So far, the comments you are making hitherto are deviating from those simple questions.

It our duty as Christians to help others and not expect even a thank you because we are doing it for our Lord but it is NOT OUR DUTY to buy a "pastor" a bigger house, newer car, nicer suits, etc. If people decide to "bless" him with any or all of the above, than can do so as long as it comes from their heart.

I'm not about duties one way or the other. Whether a pastor has big or small houses is not the issue. Please the question still begs to be answered; and if there are none, a blank from you would do nicely. I asked you that question deliberately because that was a first time I ever heard such - and I would really like to learn (even if from you). So, could you do me the kind favour accordingly? Thank you in advance.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by donduke(m): 4:30pm On Oct 21, 2009
Pro-tithers should seek better grounds for their argument. If you want to pay tithes like Abraham, go get other people's stuff, then pay a tenth to God, give the rest away! These tithers don't notice that it was a one-time affair for Abraham. He never did it again,

When Israel paid tithes under Moses, the tithes were given to one tribe that was NOT allowed to work, NOT alloted land or any property. The Levites only ate if their brothers gave tithes: they were lean and starved if others did not tithe. They were the priests and hence, 'food in my house'.

The tithes were of course used for the widows and orphans as well.

1. Question is, where do we see an injunction to give (or pay) tithes in the NT?
2. Who are the Levites today? Not pastors, (I am a pastor, by the way) because every church should pay their pastor an agreed salary for his work.
3. Why are Christians ignoring the clear NT teaching on giving which allows believers the LIBERTY to worship with their substance - giving as they have purposed in their hearts, giving sacrificially, giving as able, giving cheerfully?

Am I to believe that man just loves laws hanging over his neck or he will not do what is right?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2009
Sometimes, I wonder why people seem to enjoy saying things that are just knee jerk comments without having first calmly considered what they are saying.

@donduke, please don't take my comments as reactive against you. But allow me at the same time to pick your brains for just a bit and see how unncessary they are. I think as an anti-tither (my assumption about you), you should learn to let people have their say without lumping everyone in one group just because their views differ from yours.

donduke:

Pro-tithers should seek better grounds for their argument.
Every person (whether pro-tithers or anti-tithers) should seek good grounds for what they believe. This divide in the Body of Christ between 'pro' and 'anti' is unhealthy.

If you want to pay tithes like Abraham, go get other people's stuff, then pay a tenth to God, give the rest away! These tithers don't notice that it was a one-time affair for Abraham. He never did it again,
Anti-tithers fail repeatedly to understand that even though Abraham's act was done only once, the Bible nevertheless called it "TITHES" in both the OT and the NT! How many times would Abraham have given tithes before it could be called "tithes"? What has the frequency got to do with the fact that it was recognized as TITHES in the Bible that you read?

Besides, are you failing to understand that it is ANTI-TITHING theologians themselves who have argued wrongly that Abraham took 'other people's stuff' to tithe to Melchizedek? Another way they say it is: 'go kick some butt, plunder some nations and then offer 10% from the booty!' That is the most seriously defective argument I ever heard from any theologian with a Ph.D! Just so you don't presume I'm making this up, an example is Russell Kelly. What is even so fascinating is that he had no clue that what he was quoting as his reference in that argument was stating the direct opposite of his own argument!

Now, here's the interesting thing about this silly anti-tithing argument: if Abraham took other 'people's stuff to tithe', then that makes him out to be a thief - and if you're a Christian, that effectively sets you apart as a THIEF! Does the New Testament not argue that Christians are children of Abraham in Galatians 3:7 & 29? Perhaps you never came to that realisation before drumming this retired argument for your anti-tithing stance! Ask me, and I'll show you why I am not an anti-tither nor a thief, because Abraham did not take other people's stuff to offer as tithe. If you believe he did so, that sets you apart as a thief.

When Israel paid tithes under Moses, the tithes were given to one tribe that was NOT allowed to work, NOT alloted land or any property. The Levites only ate if their brothers gave tithes: they were lean and starved if others did not tithe. They were the priests and hence, 'food in my house'.

Three fallacies there, bro:

(a) tithe in Scripture are not predicated upon the Law of Moses - the Law did not originate tithes; and you cannot argue every instance of tithe in the Bible upon the Law.

(b) the Levites actually were alloted land - and yes, they possessed many properties: go figure in Numbers 35:2-8 and Leviticus 25:32-34.

(c) tithes were not restricted to the Levites - the poor from other tribes within Israel also were given the tithes (Deut. 26:12) - as you also stated. The difference is that you did not realise that tithes were not restricted to only one tribe. Never assume that only one thing that you read must be the only answer - read the whole texts and then get the big picture!

1. Question is, where do we see an injunction to give (or pay) tithes in the NT?
2. Who are the Levites today? Not pastors, (I am a pastor, by the way) because every church should pay their pastor an agreed salary for his work.
3. Why are Christians ignoring the clear NT teaching on giving which allows believers the LIBERTY to worship with their substance - giving as they have purposed in their hearts, giving sacrificially, giving as able, giving cheerfully?

Am I to believe that man just loves laws hanging over his neck or he will not do what is right?

I should not be tedious to you, and yes: there are answers to each an every question you have asked. However, my answers will come when you answer this simple one:

You stated that "every church should pay their pastor an agreed salary for his work", not so? Dear pastor, with all due respect sir, can you show me where in the New Testament you saw any commandment or Law for that statement? Let us read it; then I shall provide answers directly to you, sir. Cheers.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 5:23pm On Oct 21, 2009
Classical pilgrim.1 grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 5:47pm On Oct 21, 2009
viaro:

Dear sir, I asked you specific questions, not about how the tithe system was laid out for the children of Israel. I would be delighted if you could answer that/those specific questio(s); and if there are no answers you can provide, it would be even nicer to simply say you went off the tangent. As far as Leviticus is concerned, nobody was "penalised" for using money as tithes -none! If there was any such case (even in the Leviticus 27:28-35 that you quoted), then please show us WHO was actually "penalised" accordingly.

Please ogajim, I still have not found your answers for the bold statement you made about someone being penalised for tithing money. May I ask again: "who penalised anyone for using money as tithes? Who? Where? When?" So far, the comments you are making hitherto are deviating from those simple questions.

Aunty stop trying to be clever by half, the fact that nobody was recorded to have been penalized in the bible for paying monetary tithes does not mean the bible did not give clear instructions against it. The instruction is clearly stated in the scriptures below: Leviticus 27:30-31:

30 “One tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain from the fields or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord and must be set apart to him as holy. 31 If you want to buy back the Lord’s tenth of the grain or fruit, you must pay its value, plus 20 percent.

The additional 20% surcharge is clearly a penalty for monetizing the tithes. tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (41) (Reply)

This Is The HOUSE TB Joshua Was Born In... / Prophet Samuel Oyadara's 2018 Prophecy About Obasanjo, Atiku, Tinubu, Ambode / Pictures Of Winners Chapel International In Maryland, USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.