Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,495 members, 7,830,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview (27897 Views)

7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” / How Would You Answer This 'strange' Interview Question? / Mistake Made During Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by chydii(f): 3:27pm On May 01, 2016
"Salary is my second priority. I want to improve and enhance my knowledge . I want to gain technical skills. You are sitting here to analyse me and you will pay me that, I deserve"
I said this in an interview last yr June when I was asked about what I should be paid and I got me my dream job.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by advanceDNA: 3:42pm On May 01, 2016
U dont go to any interview without arming yourself with every neccessary info about the company...and that includes the salary of the level you are being hired for. They expect you to know before coming,there are some companies that dont give a damn how much u say.they already have a unified salary scale of everyone in the same level ...but other companies usually use it against u.so if u under price ur self...they'll hire u and pay u less than ur collegues..Stanbic IBTC does that a lot... there are peeps in same level not earning same salary.... so once they ask just add a little extra to the salary info u were told.

Kapish
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by mirakuru(m): 3:43pm On May 01, 2016
ambassadorgozie:

Some wil insists u mention amount
if such employer insists then one should be able to tell such employer the salary one was receiving as an employee in a particular coy (this is however for someone who worked in a big coy with good pay but due to some circumstances he/she was relieved of his job and do not have a job at the time of applying in the new coy).

however, if such applicant is employed with a coy and he is just applying to a new coy for a pay better than his current pay. response should be: well motivation is one great factor which brings out the best in an employee. however, I look forward to a pay which will motivate me enough to perhaps break my limit on the job..atleast somewhat better than what earn I presently.

however, this last statement may make the employer curious enough wanting to know what you earn presently.

employer: what do you earn presently?
ans: 100k

employer: how much do you think we can pay you to break your limit?
ans: 140-150k is not bad enough to start with.

note: this is just my own idea of the numerous responses one could give an employer in a situation like this.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by mirakuru(m): 3:50pm On May 01, 2016
ambassadorgozie:

Some wil insists u mention amount
if such employer insists then one should be able to tell such employer the salary one was receiving as an employee in a particular coy (this is however for someone who worked in a big coy with good pay but due to some circumstances he/she was relieved of his job and do not have a job at the time of applying in the new coy).

however, if such applicant is employed with a coy and he is just applying to a new coy for a pay better than his current pay. response should be: well motivation is one great factor which brings out the best in an employee. however, I look forward to a pay which will motivate me enough to perhaps break my limit on the job..atleast somewhat better than what earn I presently.

however, this last statement may make the employer curious enough wanting to know what you earn presently.

note: this is just my own idea of the numerous responses one could give an employer in a situation like this.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by edujandon(m): 3:52pm On May 01, 2016
uc4uandc:
Hi friends, I have an interview on Tuesday. What do I say if asked the salary question (fresh graduate #entry level). A friend said he go disqualified for that......am kinda nervous already.

Which company interview are u going for cus I have one on Tuesday as well
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by kayodescrib(m): 3:56pm On May 01, 2016
150k for a start
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by ambassadorgozie(m): 4:10pm On May 01, 2016
mirakuru:

U nailed it bro

1 Like

Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Mattex001(m): 4:17pm On May 01, 2016
It's better to give a Range Say 90-100k monthly

We all know the Salary is a major priority! Even your employers knows, so drops all this money is not my major Motivation.

If you don't State a Figure ur worth maybe undervalued
There might even be another entry level employee earning much more than you

Don't forget to do an underground research abt the coy and find out how much they pay their entry level

U can make use of LinkedIn or Glassdoor!

Cheers
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by pendusky(m): 4:18pm On May 01, 2016
calculator123:
op take this advice if only you know their entry level salary if not get ready to be cheated.
seems ur using Road side supermarket as a case study!
Cheated for what?
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by nkemjacob2(m): 4:38pm On May 01, 2016
Frank3n2:
Check this
. That idea might make the company feels u dont deserve much
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Debayurr: 4:48pm On May 01, 2016
Alot of you guys here advice the OP to be diplomatic but you all haven't displayed one at all...
In my own opinion I suggest you first tell them. The money isn't your priority and you believe there's a salary structure for the role am being considered for. Some interviewers still persist..this is when you give a value
Instead of saying 70-120k...why set limits? your response ought to be 70k and above...what if the company wants to pay higher than 120k, is dat how u goofed? so being diplomatic u can say 50k and above or 70k and above depending on ur minimum...with that all the salary structure falls within ur range...Get that right!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Blessograo(f): 4:49pm On May 01, 2016
i think you should ask them what they think you deserve with your qualification. not sure but just saying
uc4uandc:
Hi friends, I have an interview on Tuesday. What do I say if asked the salary question (fresh graduate #entry level). A friend said he go disqualified for that......am kinda nervous already.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by pandorasbox1(m): 4:52pm On May 01, 2016
Bros... If it's entry level, simply tell them you are sure the the company is well structured and surely has a pay package commensurate with the position, and you will be fine with the package. Never ever give a figure for an entry level, the truth is, they know that the experience is what you want.
Except you're an experienced staff then you can negotiate your pay

1 Like

Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Nacre1: 4:54pm On May 01, 2016
Learning.... This same question affected me somehow recently
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Alfamann: 5:00pm On May 01, 2016
Depends on how much you want and how desperate you are for the job.

The best policy is honesty. Imagine yourself in their position asking this question. What would you want to hear?

Tell them the least you will accept for that job and let them know that you will expect an increase when the time come, in line with your competency.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by goingape: 5:04pm On May 01, 2016
uc4uandc:
don't start negotiating ya salary pay!

simply tell the company: "with your good judgment I know that this company is fair in paying what we the employee deserve to be pay"

don't talked any amount. them THEMSELF will negotiate it for you. I did it and it work for me years back.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by neyur: 5:05pm On May 01, 2016
uc4uandc:

just tel dem u will manage 6000k for a start.as a fresh graduate...den u see d job delivered to you.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by goingape: 5:06pm On May 01, 2016
pandorasbox1:
Bros... If it's entry level, simply tell them you are sure the the company is well structured and surely has a pay package commensurate with the position, and you will be fine with the package. Never ever give a figure for an entry level, the truth is, they know that the experience is what you want.
Except you're an experienced staff then you can negotiate your pay
I recommend this.

you know how it work.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by pressplay411(m): 5:07pm On May 01, 2016
uc4uandc:

Negotiation of salary is usually for Experienced jobs, so u might not even be asked about that.
But if asked, just ask to be paid what is fair and competitive because you know you're bringing your best and will help improve productivity. Don't sound arrogant tho.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by calculator123(m): 5:09pm On May 01, 2016
pendusky:

seems ur using Road side supermarket as a case study!

Cheated for what?
are u sure u are in naija,any employer would love u to add value to their company at a cheaper price.ever wondered why we have contract staff?
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by akuracy(m): 5:36pm On May 01, 2016
This thread is educating. I have just been offered a job and am going to sign the offer on Tuesday but don't know if there will be salary negotiation. But I am asked, I will simply tell them that through research, the company is interested in the wellbeing of its employer and I discovered that they pay a competitive renumeration which has given them a edge to be a topnotch company. I believe you have a salary structure for my qualification, experience and competency. You can pay me what is scheduled for this position that will motivate me to deliver my best to your company.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by ndcide(m): 5:56pm On May 01, 2016
advanceDNA:
U dont go to any interview without arming yourself with every neccessary info about the company...and that includes the salary of the level you are being hired for. They expect you to know before coming,there are some companies that dont give a damn how much u say.they already have a unified salary scale of everyone in the same level ...but other companies usually use it against u.so if u under price ur self...they'll hire u and pay u less than ur collegues..Stanbic IBTC does that a lot... there are peeps in same level not earning same salary.... so once they ask just add a little extra to the salary info u were told.

Kapish

You are talking about stanbic bank that's big and well known. It's not easy to know what some company pay its workers because people lie about What they earn.

You may not see the right person to talk about wages in an Organization
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by shhladyj(f): 6:48pm On May 01, 2016
some coy still insist that u name ur price, i wonder wat u will do? waiting for answers.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by obembet(f): 6:54pm On May 01, 2016
Salary negotiation is a tough and delicate matter. Preferably speaking, you should avoid going into this topic until the later stage of the recruitment when you are being offered the job. That said, some recruiters might be hoping that you’d yield in to this question and be the first to give the number and set the benchmark. The repercussion? You might end up making less than what the position is worth! Hence, research on the salary range in your field to have a rough estimate of how much you should be earning. Give a large range rather than a specific amount if you have to answer it. An alternative is to pose the question back at the interviewer by asking what kind of salary does the position warrants. At other times, interviewers might just be testing you to see if money is the only thing that matters. So, do emphasize that your priority lies with the nature of the job and not the salary per se. Remember that when the job is finally being offered to you, the interviewer would have to quote the salary. That will be the best time to negotiate your way because you will then become the one being sought after, and not the other way round.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by obembet(f): 6:54pm On May 01, 2016
Salary negotiation is a tough and delicate matter. Preferably speaking, you should avoid going into this topic until the later stage of the recruitment when you are being offered the job. That said, some recruiters might be hoping that you’d yield in to this question and be the first to give the number and set the benchmark. The repercussion? You might end up making less than what the position is worth! Hence, research on the salary range in your field to have a rough estimate of how much you should be earning. Give a large range rather than a specific amount if you have to answer it. An alternative is to pose the question back at the interviewer by asking what kind of salary does the position warrants. At other times, interviewers might just be testing you to see if money is the only thing that matters. So, do emphasize that your priority lies with the nature of the job and not the salary per se. Remember that when the job is finally being offered to you, the interviewer would have to quote the salary. That will be the best time to negotiate your way because you will then become the one being sought after, and not the other way round.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by einsteino(m): 7:17pm On May 01, 2016
Frank3n2:
Check this

If you try this with most nigerian firms you would get peanuts. saying this only means you don't know your worth and you are hoping you would be lucky enough to get a fair deal. my method is to first monetize my worth and find out how much that position should earn in a similar firm. Don't cow yourself into slave trade, bargain your salary and have the dignity to turn down an offer that is below your worth.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by tosyne2much(m): 8:09pm On May 01, 2016
yinkard4me:

i bet u some interviewers would tell u they want a figure. happened to me before. i was forced to call a figure and the guy jokingly said they re not ready to replace dia MD cos he is d only one dat takes home dat much. lol
Hahaha cheesy You wan send dem go bankruptcy be that bros cheesy
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Amesko(m): 8:40pm On May 01, 2016
Bro i was in this before,i got the job am doing now cos of my salary position i mentioned,google may not help you this time cos this is nigeria and so many establishements are not in google.You need to find out from the old employees in the same firm how much they earn ,to be sincere most insurance companies want to pay you on commission basis.My brother the thing is that get the job first and involve God.The other guys that went too high lost the job ,i got it and today my salary has been increased and with a cool and good working condition .Tell them you are primarily comming to develope and use your skills for the organization but not just after salary ,but if they inssist you name your price ,your local reseach will now bail you out

1 Like

Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Kazrem(m): 9:47pm On May 01, 2016
uc4uandc:
Let me share what I read in egbon Jarus book, The Road To Victoria Island, with you. According to him, firstly, you must have done research about how much the coy or similar coys in that industry pays for the position. That will give you an idea of what to say. Secondly, when asked how much you want ro be paid, having done the #1 well, you say something like this, "ABC Coy is a highly regarded coy with appreciable salary grade. I think they will place me where I fit." If further pressed ro say amount, don't say exactly the amount. Rather you give a range, for instance, between 30k to 45k. Don't be over zealous. That is what I read from the book but not put exactly as it is in the book.
Re: How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview by Ondoboi12345678: 5:40am On May 02, 2016
Yes, initially it was 18,000 in Edo but now, it's 18,500
uc4uandc:
Does anyone have an idea of how much an insurance company can pay fresh graduate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are Implications Of Reducing Age As Against The Age On WAEC Certificate? / NPA Or Efcc, Which Of These Jobs Is The Best With Good Pay, Please Help / The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.