Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

Chemical & Process Engineers Forum - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chemical & Process Engineers Forum (79947 Views)

Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! / AEROSPACE ENGINEERS FORUM : Spacecraft, Aircraft Experts. / Mechanical Engineers Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 12:25pm On Mar 26, 2010
debosky:

The fact is that not every chemical engineering graduate will practice 'core' process engineering. The sooner we realise that the better. Even if you do, you might not use up to 20% of what you learned in school on a regular basis.
One trend that is very popular amongst chemical engineering grads is to pursue an environmental engineering/management/science degree as a follow up Masters. How viable is this as an alternative?
We all know there is environmental degradation in the Niger Delta and all that, in addition to the fact that there is increased environmental awareness and consciousness worldwide. Does this translate into jobs for those who decide to pursue the environmental path after graduation?
Let's discuss.
I think the idea of a post grad in env. eng is good, except that you are likely to be competing with civil engineers when it comes to finding work in the sector. Also I believe there is a demand for chemical engineers in the utility companies or water treatment companies in the clean/wastewater treatment sectors a Post grad degree will no doubt enhance ones chances in this sector. I spent about 4 years working in this sector even without a degree in env eng/sc before moving over to the oil and gas sector, that said this was not in nigeria so just how buoyant this sector is in nigeria I dont know.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by tpiah: 8:22pm On Mar 26, 2010
Downtime this, downtime that. I filled in Chemical engineering in two of the blank spaces in my JAMB form with much gusto only to end up practising structural/civil engineering. What a waste of enthusiasm. Our schools are busy churning out kids with hot ambitions who'll end up tucked away as a stressed out teller in one bank somewhere along the street. What hope is left? There's so much glut in the labour market and there's either going to be a blowout some time if these damned policy makers don't bleed off the excess to some reasonable quarters. My advice to the younger folks is to diversify, be vast, don't localize yaself. Broaden out! God help us.

banking is even good.

Some engineers used to end up as teachers while they were waiting for their dream job.

govt job is another option but it'll take a while to climb up, and the older engineers do get all the lucky breaks.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 11:21am On Mar 29, 2010
^^^
hopefully with the passage of the Petroleum industry bill(PIB) things should shapeup i.e more contracts will be awarded as such more jobs will be created, but right now projects ar kinda hard to come by because of the uncertainty in regards to the contents of the bill.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by lonelydude: 3:22pm On Mar 29, 2010
magicln9t:

hi everybody. . .im so happy to find a thread dedicated to chemical engineers here. . .more power to the elbow of everyone helping out on this thread.
Im a fresh graduate of chemical engineering waiting for service in June 2010. . . .My question is that im plannning to do my Msc in UK after my service, but in confused on what i should do for Msc. . . .pls, i need advice. . . . .any advice will be appreciated. . thanks

Why don't you consider accumulating some years of experience after your your service? This will give you a brighter chance of clinching a good job after your MSc abroad. I'm talking from known experiences.
Going straight for a Masters abroad after your service is not a good advice I'll give to you except of course you are still as young as 23years old.
Besides, when you start working (if you decide to), You can then get a clearer picture of what course you want to go in for as regards your MSc.

Just what I thought so you don't make the mistake most people here have made.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by deluxecad(m): 2:02pm On Mar 31, 2010
can i get perry in pdf format? pls.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 2:36pm On Mar 31, 2010
deluxecad:

Only via illegal download or if you/your company subscribe to Knovel online http://www.knovel.com/web/portal/basic_search/display?_EXT_KNOVEL_DISPLAY_bookid=48
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 8:33am On Apr 01, 2010
deluxecad:

wats ur email- i have a zip copy
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 10:07am On Apr 01, 2010
snthesis:

wats your email- i have a zip copy
abeg pop the link into my profile email address. Tnx
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by deluxecad(m): 12:40pm On Apr 01, 2010
@synthesis: thank u. Laserlordone@yahoo.com
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by mylove4him(f): 1:04pm On Apr 02, 2010
I have a first degree in Chemical Engineering but I am into HSE presently just about starting a job in a Seismic data collection firm as an HSE Advisor. I hope it comes out well, but I really need more materials on HSE. please u can send it to my box caringcherie@yahoo.com. I will really appreciate that.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 10:17am On Apr 03, 2010
I'm havin a challenge loadin d perry-256mb.
I wil break it down in segments &post
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by deluxecad(m): 3:36am On Apr 04, 2010
Ok. Pls do.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 1:58pm On Apr 06, 2010
deluxecad:

@synthesis: thank u. Laserlordone@yahoo.com
Kenny_G:

abeg pop the link into my profile email address. Tnx
u got mail(s)
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by topsquino(m): 2:56pm On Apr 06, 2010
My name is tope sodiq,am in 300level studyin chemical engineering in uniben.dis year i have comited my self in learning some computer programes.do u think it will aid me to be a better engr.pls advice me on how to get some practical experience.my email is topsquino@gmail.com
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by deluxecad(m): 6:30pm On Apr 06, 2010
Thank u synthesis.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by blinx4real(m): 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2010
@ Moderator,
I think what we really need is a whole section not a thread,
The Chemical/Process engineering discpline is so wide and we have so much to share - softwares tips, Process design, Calculations and Spreadsheets, Chemical engineering fundamentals and so on,
And seeing the response so far, I'm sure its going to really fly once its off the gorund.

Cheers
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 6:09pm On Apr 13, 2010
blinx4real:

@ Moderator,
I think what we really need is a whole section not a thread,
The Chemical/Process engineering discpline is so wide and we have so much to share - softwares tips, Process design, Calculations and Spreadsheets, Chemical engineering fundamentals and so on,
And seeing the response so far, I'm sure its going to really fly once its off the gorund.

Cheers

seconded wink wink
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Mojir(f): 5:09pm On Apr 19, 2010
Please could any one help with a cracked version of HYSYS Software? It is needed for a project.

Thanks as I await your kind response.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 9:40am On Apr 20, 2010
Mojir:

Please could any one help with a cracked version of HYSYS Software? It is needed for a project.

Thanks as I await your kind response.
where's ur location? send me an email or lets chat.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 1:28pm On Apr 20, 2010
I don't think we need a forum, if we can get this thread active enough, then maybe we can break out into individual threads focused on specific areas. However, with the limited traffic on this thread for now, there's no justification. wink

People seem to have quietened off again - don't let this thread die!!
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by blinx4real(m): 10:15am On Apr 21, 2010
debosky:

I don't think we need a forum, if we can get this thread active enough, then maybe we can break out into individual threads focused on specific areas. However, with the limited traffic on this thread for now, there's no justification. wink

People seem to have quietened off again - don't let this thread die!!
I simply feel the reason pple quieted down is because we av too many topics and request posted already and the thread will make no complete sense if we keep adding divergent queries.
I can guarantee you steady inflow if the Chemical engr section comes alive and segmented into the key areas.
We av students and professionals, definitely their queries will be different, you have software usage request and standards, procedures enquiries, putting all of that in the same thread looks funny really.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by connkg(m): 11:15am On Apr 21, 2010
On a lighter note,

I just imagined today getting my own back. I've made quite a number of applications, have been trying to change jobs.
The rejection letter is almost from a template, across various establishments.
I caught myself praying that someday, I'd be able to turn down employment offers in such a stylish way!
I'd start by telling them how the offer is SO good and how impressed I am by it.
Then I'd continue in a later paragraph with "Unfortunately" and put in the word 'experience'.
Before I sign off, I'd then warn them (politely, of course) not to bother sending any other mails to my box!
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by donciccio: 12:03am On Apr 22, 2010
Been reading all the posts by u guys. Interesting and glad to know there are fellow Chemical Engrs in the house.
I'm a grad of Chem Engr'g, (member NSChE) worked as safety / QC officer in a marine construction coy now in oil servicing coy doing an administrative job. After all the brain cracking nd knowledge of Mass transfer, Rxn engr'g, Polymer tech, Separatn processes, fluid mechs, Thermo, Instrumentatn, serious pilot plant practicals and others. Soon to round up my Masters in Project Devlpt & Implementatn that I was forced into cos of challenges faced in the industry due to no Chem Engr'g experience, e don tire me o! I love my Chem Engr'g and would like to build a career in it, but guys practicing what's new in the discipline? Pls update me, still mch interested in Chem Engr'g.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by blinx4real(m): 11:48am On Apr 22, 2010
don_ciccio:

Been reading all the posts by u guys. Interesting and glad to know there are fellow Chemical Engrs in the house.
I'm a grad of Chem Engr'g, (member NSChE) worked as safety / QC officer in a marine construction coy now in oil servicing coy doing an administrative job. After all the brain cracking nd knowledge of Mass transfer, Rxn engr'g, Polymer tech, Separatn processes, fluid mechs, Thermo, Instrumentatn, serious pilot plant practicals and others. Soon to round up my Masters in Project Devlpt & Implementatn that I was forced into cos of challenges faced in the industry due to no Chem Engr'g experience, e don tire me o! I love my Chem Engr'g and would like to build a career in it, but guys practicing what's new in the discipline? Pls update me, still mch interested in Chem Engr'g.
You really don't have to feel despondent because your lot is much better than those chem engrs working of at the marketing dept of a new gen Bank!!! thats on the lighter note.
The fact is that Safety or HSE as it is called in the industry is as much important as any Process design work you can do, infact right now there is no design/project that will be allowed to see the light of day without proving that it can be operated safely. In a nutshell your safety experience is good enuff for a career in any engineering field.
Your responsibility however, is to show ur would be employer its relevance to his requirements, all the best.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by donciccio: 4:40pm On Apr 22, 2010
@blinx4real, thanx a bunch.
But my challenges are I ve had roughly 2yrs experience in the HSE discipline and ve obtained a certificate from NISP, warri. Most oil coys i'd applied for seems to be emphasizing on less yrs of experience in HSE asking for 7yrs - above. They wouldn't even give a chance for you to display what u've got.
Meanwhile, I'm not demoralised cos I still earn a living but would ve been a lot better if I'm doing wat I like to do. Anyway, im doing fine with the admin assignment cos my boss has been impressed with my performance. Though, im still spreading my nets to other fields but still got greater affection for my Chemical Engr'g "Societe - Unique"
Any updates on Chemical / Process Engr'g in recent times, pls do get me informed my Unique Engrs.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 9:04pm On Apr 22, 2010
All d 9ja engrs in d house shout halleluyah!
Our action presido jst signed d local content act as well as d national budget.
Which means money is available to fund new projects and d projects will b done in 9ja as such more jobs for nigerian engrs
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 2:26pm On May 03, 2010
snthesis:

All d 9ja engrs in d house shout halleluyah!
Our action presido jst signed d local content act as well as d national budget.
Which means money is available to fund new projects and d projects will b done in 9ja as such more jobs for nigerian engrs
Halleluyah!
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by tubabie(f): 4:04pm On May 04, 2010
conn-kg:

On a lighter note,

I just imagined today getting my own back. I've made quite a number of applications, have been trying to change jobs.
The rejection letter is almost from a template, across various establishments.
I caught myself praying that someday, I'd be able to turn down employment offers in such a stylish way!
I'd start by telling them how the offer is SO good and how impressed I am by it.
Then I'd continue in a later paragraph with "Unfortunately" and put in the word 'experience'.
Before I sign off, I'd then warn them (politely, of course) not to bother sending any other mails to my box!

Hehehehe, grin
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Bukydaniels(m): 5:37pm On May 04, 2010
House pls i need your advice.
I'm a student of chemical Eng. In one of the Nigerian polytechnic scul,a secod yr student (ND2).
Pls i need advice on this particular course.i mean wat level of cert.do i need to have so as to compete with others out there.
Plz can sm1 help me with a good relaible website where i can learn more on things that involve chemicals. Or a website where i can source out information for my  project.
God bless u all.
Buky2daniel@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 6:09pm On May 04, 2010
Bukydaniels:

I'm a student of chemical Eng. In one of the Nigerian polytechnic scul,a secod yr student (ND2).
Pls i need advice on this particular course.i mean wat level of cert.do i need to have so as to compete with others out there.
Plz can sm1 help me with a good relaible website where i can learn more on things that involve chemicals. Or a website where i can source out information for my project.
God bless u all.
Buky2daniel@yahoo.co.uk
Well at least a masters degree, and why do you need a website to source out your project, shouldnt your prof. be guiding you in that area?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by nnemak(m): 4:37pm On May 07, 2010
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 1:58pm On May 14, 2010
Bukydaniels:

Plz can sm1 help me with a good relaible website where i can learn more on things that involve chemicals. Or a website where i can source out information for my project.
God bless u all.
Buky2daniel@yahoo.co.uk
u r in a polytechnic so am sorry to say u can graduate as an engineer- u"ll probably graduate as a technician or a technologist @ best- to be an engrg graduate u need to attend a university.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

This Is How Much Most Graduates Earn In Nigeria As Starting Salary - Stutern / What Are The Highest Paying Federal Government Agencies / Caesar Chukwuma Nigerian Lawyer In USA Melting Hearts Of Ladies. Photos

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.