Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (34880 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 9:24pm On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

Exactly my boss. . . I am beginning to shape myself and mind to remove the trait of using degrading invectives on mind i dim ignorant, i am evolving past that condescending level.

Fully shown on my signature.

Believers of superstition and pseudoscience we must also consider are also humans with emotions and just like all of us are trying to figure out how the world works and our role in it.

Even thought their views and beliefs may mostly be consonant with science and secularism as proponents of the modern world, let us none the less tamper our sceptic criticism with kind words.

none of us really comes fully prepared or knows it all

Guy, you don't have a problem. You are much calmer than I am.

When I first came to nairaland, I was cool. Until I got my first ban for no reason other than I was the only vocal atheist at the time. I complained and got other bans while some religious peeps were cheering. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and I became very harsh. You should see my previous verbal assaults and smackdown matches with other people in the past. lol

Funny enough, I got over it and started realising that if I waste time bashing people and delving in such hate, my humanistic message gets lost.

So I'm much calmer now. Live and let live. I am not perfect but I try to hold back the insults now......I fail once in a while but I still try.

It's hard to take the high road grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 9:27pm On May 04, 2016
dblackninja:

I hope so I can tolerate anybody in this world--different sets in my hood.
Just that when the religious fervent ones occupy this thread.. erm erm cheesy

lol...nothing of that sort. The word "secular" in the title to them is like a cross to a vampire. Only the strong-willed among them can navigate these waters of secular thought.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 9:32pm On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

So are you ready to change the society?

^^
That there, is the main issue

The society literally is too large for one person to change, it is a task more tedious than that of Hercules.

But since you cannot hope to change the society at once you can change the immediate society around and can start by changing yourself.

You cannot necessarily sweep the whole market but you can contribute to sweeping the market by sweeping your own part of the market.

So that's why we are mostly here, contributing our own little cents to the intellectual evolution of our society.

Plato's allegory of caves can actually illuminate the effects of trying to change that conventional societal view

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 9:33pm On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

lol...nothing of that sort. The word "secular" in the title to them is like a cross to a vampire. Only the strong-willed among them can navigate these waters of secular thought.
Hehehe abi? grin cool Reminds me of a movie titled priests.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 9:40pm On May 04, 2016
dblackninja:
@ johnydon22 and Logicbwoy, what do you think of the slight possibility of achieving time travel that I wrote above ^^^^ Are you guys familiar with the phenomenon?

That is quantum entanglement. . . A quantum phenomena where two particles very far are entangled that information are passed instantaneously, almost like it's a dual existence of the same particle.

It's still weird to us.

In the quantum world the classical laws of physics manifesting in this macro-world breaks down completely.

even cause and effect breaks down in the quantum world, particles come into existence without needing to be caused, there are subatomic particles that can be induced to accelerate all by themselves almost to the speed of light without the application of an external force breaking the first law of motion of the macro-universe.

further revealing a weird random nature manifesting every way and either way.

I like your thoughts on Quantum entanglement used for time travel, though you may want to elaborate how.

It is a curious thought brother
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 9:42pm On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Guy, you don't have a problem. You are much calmer than I am.

When I first came to nairaland, I was cool. Until I got my first ban for no reason other than I was the only vocal atheist at the time. I complained and got other bans while some religious peeps were cheering. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and I became very harsh. You should see my previous verbal assaults and smackdown matches with other people in the past. lol

Funny enough, I got over it and started realising that if I waste time bashing people and delving in such hate, my humanistic message gets lost.

So I'm much calmer now. Live and let live. I am not perfect but I try to hold back the insults now......I fail once in a while but I still try.

It's hard to take the high road grin grin

hahahahaha classic!!!

The bolded is so relatable, there are posts that practically take you to your wits end..

well we'll keep trying to be better
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 9:53pm On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

The society literally is too large for one person to change, it is a task more tedious than that of Hercules.

But since you cannot hope to change the society at once you can change the immediate society around and can start by changing yourself.

You cannot necessarily sweep the whole market but you can contribute to sweeping the market by sweeping your own part of the market.

So that's why we are mostly here, contributing our own little cents to the intellectual evolution of our society.

Plato's allegory of caves can actually illuminate the effects of trying to change that conventional societal view

Nice concept. I would love to delve further into this but I think it is a discussion for another time. Our society has a myriad of problems which can be talked about for days.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 9:57pm On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Nice concept. I would love to delve further into this but I think it is a discussion for another time. Our society has a myriad of problems which can be talked about for days.

True
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 10:00pm On May 04, 2016
BUT THEY IS ANOTHER PROBLEM ABOUT TIME TRAVEL PEOPLE HAVEN'T REALLY CONSIDERED ON A NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCE HUMANS ARE GOING FORWARD IN TIME THERE BY AGING WITH TIME TOO (THE NORMAL 24 HOURS AT A NORMAL SPEED) IF U THEN TRAVEL FASTER THAN TIME WONT U GET OLD ON THE PROCESS AND DIE ON THE SERIES FLASH I BELIEVE CAUSE HE WAS ABLE TO HEAL HIM SELF HE WAS ABLE TO SOMEHOW WITHSTAND THAT BUT ON JUSTICE LEAGUE A FLASH FROM ANOTHER PARALLEL UNIVERSE TRIED IT AND HE GOT OLD CAUSE HE STAYED IN THE PROCESS FOR SO LONG SO GUYS WHAT DO U THINK IS THERE A LOOP??
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 10:38pm On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

That is quantum entanglement. . . A quantum phenomena where two particles very far are entangled that information are passed instantaneously, almost like it's a dual existence of the same particle.

It's still weird to us.

In the quantum world the classical laws of physics manifesting in this macro-world breaks down completely.

even cause and effect breaks down in the quantum world, particles come into existence without needing to be caused, there are subatomic particles that can be induced to accelerate all by themselves almost to the speed of light without the application of an external force breaking the first law of motion of the macro-universe.

further revealing a weird random nature manifesting every way and either way.

I like your thoughts on Quantum entanglement used for time travel, though you may want to elaborate how.

It is a curious thought brother
It's just assumptions though might not necessarily lead to time travel.
I don't really know how to explain this but take it like this:
Now you know that the paired particles can communicate with each other along the Timeline..which means that information can be passed between them even at a speed faster than the speed of light. Since particles can entangle forming something like a quantum bridge, it is also theoretically possible for a particle on Earth, and another say 3,000 light years away to be entangled and hence form a bridge to share information.

So teleporting/ transferring of identity from one particle in the present time, alongside entangled particles (through the quantum bridge), will now get to the other particle pair anywhere else on the Timescale, where the other entangled particle resides at that moment.
Hope you get where am driving at. It's kind of similar to 'Quantum Leap' tv series. Only if we can at 1st solve the mystery behind quantum entanglement undecided
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 10:52pm On May 04, 2016
dblackninja:

It's just assumptions though might not necessarily lead to time travel.
I don't really know how to explain this but take it like this:
Now you know that the paired particles can communicate with each other along the Timeline..which means that information can be passed between them even at a speed faster than the speed of light. Since particles can entangle forming something like a quantum bridge, it is also theoretically possible for a particle on Earth, and another say 3,000 light years away to be entangled and hence form a bridge to share information.

So teleporting/ transferring of identity from one particle in the present time, alongside entangled particles (through the quantum bridge), will now get to the other particle pair anywhere else on the Timescale, where the other entangled particle resides at that moment.
Hope you get where am driving at. It's kind of similar to 'Quantum Leap' series. Only if we can at 1st solve the mystery behind quantum entanglement undecided

Yea i get you but this might not necessarily lead to a time travel in the rational sense, maybe an instantaneous teleportation or information sharing.

Beside i doubt if Quantum entanglement is feasible in a macro-scale...
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 10:54pm On May 04, 2016
Lilbrown007:
BUT THEY IS ANOTHER PROBLEM ABOUT TIME TRAVEL PEOPLE HAVEN'T REALLY CONSIDERED ON A NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCE HUMANS ARE GOING FORWARD IN TIME THERE BY AGING WITH TIME TOO (THE NORMAL 24 HOURS AT A NORMAL SPEED) IF U THEN TRAVEL FASTER THAN TIME WONT U GET OLD ON THE PROCESS AND DIE ON THE SERIES FLASH I BELIEVE CAUSE HE WAS ABLE TO HEAL HIM SELF HE WAS ABLE TO SOMEHOW WITHSTAND THAT BUT ON JUSTICE LEAGUE A FLASH FROM ANOTHER PARALLEL UNIVERSE TRIED IT AND HE GOT OLD CAUSE HE STAYED IN THE PROCESS FOR SO LONG SO GUYS WHAT DO U THINK IS THERE A LOOP??
Hehe now that's another notion. For something to get to another place it must first travel which of course causes wear and tear..now imagine traveling at or faster than the speed of light. If time travel can be achieved then it won't by running like the flash (it's humanly impossible)..It can be through a time machine which of course can't alter the human physiology just like the coverings that can prevent radiation from reaching the skin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 11:01pm On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

Yea i get you but this might not necessarily lead to a time travel in the rational sense, maybe an instantaneous teleportation or information sharing.

Beside i doubt if Quantum entanglement is feasible in a macro-scale...
Yeah we don't really know if it's feasible in a macro-scale, but if it's possible at all..and the particles can pair over different time scales then boom...Maybe a particle in this time pairing with one of about 3000 light yrs away or ago , it means Logicbwoy's dog can hop in to this particle and transfer to that of the future or past and hide because of maltreatment..just assumptions though..it will be like a kind of warmhole.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 04, 2016
dblackninja:

Hehe now that's another notion. For something to get to another place it must first travel which of course causes wear and tear..now imagine traveling at or faster than the speed of light. If time travel can ve achieved then it won't by running like the flash (it's humanly impossible)..It can be through a time machine which of cause can't alter the human physiology just like the coverings that can prevent radiation from reaching the skin
THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY TRAVELLING FORWARD IN TIME THAN THE NORMAL 24 HOURS JUST IMAGINE IF IN A DAY WE HAVE 2MINUTES TO SPEND THEN THE NEXT DAY ARRIVES ANOTHER 2 MINUTES WONT HUMANS AGE FASTER??
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 11:12pm On May 04, 2016
Lilbrown007:
THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY TRAVELLING FORWARD IN TIME THAN THE NORMAL 24 HOURS JUST IMAGINE IF IN A DAY WE HAVE 2MINUTES TO SPEND THEN THE NEXT DAY ARRIVES ANOTHER 2 MINUTES WONT HUMANS AGE FASTER??
Oh yeah in all sense, we gonna age faster.
That's why I said science have to circumvent the issue by creating something (you know all these things are assumptions) capable of slowing or stopping the alteration of the human physiology by time. Just like they did with maintaining gravity in vessels in space.

**stop killing my hope of time travelling**
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 04, 2016
Lilbrown007:
WAIT I JUST THOUGHT ABOUT IT AGAIN TRAVELING FASTER THAN LIGHT WILL BE ACTUALLY DOING THINS B4 THE CLOCK START TICKING OR SOMETHING CLOSER TO THAT IF DONE FOR LONG AT CONSTANT SPEED (STILL THINKING FLASH PARDON ME CAUSE I CANT REALLY IMAGINE IT WITH A TIME MACHINE ) WON'T IT START TO HAVE A NEGATIVE VALUE LIKE THE NUMBER SYSTEM WE HAVE -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 WHICH WILL RESULT TO GOING BACKWARD INSTEAD OF FORWARD??
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 11:21pm On May 04, 2016
Lilbrown007:
WAIT I JUST THOUGHT ABOUT IT AGAIN TRAVELING FASTER THAN LIGHT WILL BE ACTUALLY DOING THINS B4 THE CLOCK START TICKING OR SOMETHING CLOSER TO THAT IF DONE FOR LONG AT CONSTANT SPEED (STILL THINKING FLASH PARDON ME CAUSE I CANT REALLY IMAGINE IT WITH A TIME MACHINE ) WON'T IT START TO HAVE A NEGATIVE VALUE LIKE THE NUMBER SYSTEM WE HAVE -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 WHICH WILL RESULT TO GOING BACKWARD INSTEAD OF FORWARD??
cheesy Leave the fiction for now. Do you know that the time scale on earth is not the same in space?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 04, 2016
ALBERT EINSTEIN SAID IF U ARE TRAVELING WITH THE SAME SPEED WITH LIGHT LIGHT WILL APPEAR TO BE FROZEN THE MORE THE SPEED THE MORE THE WEIGHT SO IF LIGHT APPEARS TO BE FROZEN WHAT HAPPENS IF U GO FASTER THAN IT WILL U TRAVEL BACKWARD OR FORWARD??
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:26pm On May 04, 2016
dblackninja:

cheesy Leave the fiction for now. Do you know that the time scale on earth is not the same in space?
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:05am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

I actually find it ridiculous that God would just sit down in space being bored then decided to create earth and humans. Was he that jobless that he had to create "play things" that should worship him?

Can God create another god more powerful than himself?

Kingebukasblog, I will give you 1,000,000 naira if you answer the above question directly. Make I bend grin grin

Specious argument bro .

In the same vein as omnipotence paradox . God is infinite and Supreme . He precludes infinite regression . There is none greater - it is impossible for one to be greater . All Powerful .

So it is illogical to ask God create someone greater than him . It does not make any sense .`

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 7:19am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Specious argument bro .

In the same vein as omnipotence paradox . God is infinite and Supreme . He precludes infinite regression . There is none greater - it is impossible for one to be greater . All Powerful .

So it is illogical to ask God create someone greater than him . It does not make any sense .`

How the hell is it illogical to ask God to create someone greater than him?

God can always reduce his powers, can't he?

Or if God's powers are infinite, there is always infinity plus one.

But if we read the bible, we start to even realise a new twist- Yahweh is not all powerful. He was an angry, jealous, racist and vindictive God. Showing that he gave into his emotions. This means that he could be manipulated.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 8:03am On May 05, 2016
Logicbwoy:

How the hell is it illogical to ask God to create someone greater than him?

God can always reduce his powers, can't he?

Or if God's powers are infinite, there is always infinity plus one.

But if we read the bible, we start to even realise a new twist- Yahweh is not all powerful. He was an angry, jealous, racist and vindictive God. Showing that he gave into his emotions. This means that he could be manipulated.

So i take it that the 1,000,000 was not won? no answer!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 8:04am On May 05, 2016
Lilbrown007:
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE
You know this concept of space-time is very complicated. Let me just answer you in simple terms cause I don't know if you're very familiar with physics.
Gravity and Velocity affects time differently.

Let me remove travel (velocity) from the equation and concentrate on gravity.
Gravity warps space and therefore warps time.
The stronger the gravity, the slower the time appear to pass and vice-versa. Time moves faster for someone on a mountain top because of weaker gravitational force than for someone in a basement underground (which has higher gravitational force). If am an independent observer, I'll notice that the person on a mountain ages faster than the one in basement.
It also appears that someone in space will age faster because time moves faster for them in space because of weaker to no gravity (0)
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 8:11am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Specious argument bro .

You really confused me here bro If you can do all things then you can do all things. Are you saying that God can't do all things again cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 8:27am On May 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Specious argument bro .

In order words this is another way of saying god cannot create another greater than it
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by wirinet(m): 8:56am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Beside i doubt if Quantum entanglement is feasible in a macro-scale. ..

Bingo. That the QED of all these wild theories on time warp, quantum entanglements and wormholes, what is feasible on the micro (quantum) level is not feasible on the macro (everyday) level and what is feasible on the macro and micro levels are not feasible on the mega (cosmic or astronomical ) level.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 9:18am On May 05, 2016
wirinet:

Bingo. That the QED of all these wild theories on time warp, quantum entanglements and wormholes, what is feasible on the micro (quantum) level is not feasible on the macro (everyday) level and what is feasible on the macro and micro levels are not feasible on the mega (cosmic or astronomical ) level.

Both are ruled by different laws in each level, Laws of the quantum world (even though we know nothing of it yet) breaks down in the macro-scale and that of the macro-world breaks down in the quantum world.

But the Quantum level is the fundamental ground level upon which the macro- is built.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by wirinet(m): 9:43am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

Both are ruled by different laws in each level, Laws of the quantum world (even though we know nothing of it yet) breaks down in the macro-scale and that of the macro-world breaks down in the quantum world.

But the Quantum level is the fundamental ground level upon which the macro- is built.

Well said. That is why quantum entanglement or the wave function would not work in the macro scale.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 9:46am On May 05, 2016
johnydon22:

So i take it that the 1,000,000 was not won? no answer!

I know kingebukasblog more than he knows himself. grin grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 9:50am On May 05, 2016
Time travel? Can it be possible with exclusivity to a single person? Then what happens to our 24 hour rotation of the earth? Are we just assuming theories to be practical?

Does it increase or lower and for whom? If it doesn't then what is Time travel? If it does what is time travel still? Time travel as shown in the movies makes absolutely zero sense.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 9:54am On May 05, 2016
wirinet:

Well said. That is why quantum entanglement or the wave function would not work in the macro scale.

johnydon22:

I want to jog your minds a little.

Have you watched ant man? The superhero with the ability to shrink himself or matter?

In the movie, he shrunk himself down to the quantum world and nearly died. His scientist mentor noted that the quantum level is an abyss in which no one understands the rules.

What do you think would happen if we could manipulate things at the quantum level.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 9:55am On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
Time travel? Can it be possible with exclusivity to a single person? Then what happens to our 24 hour rotation of the earth? Are we just assuming theories to be practical?

Does it increase or lower and for whom? If it doesn't then what is Time travel? If it does what is time travel still? Time travel as shown in the movies makes absolutely zero sense.

Have you watched interstellar?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo: "How My Church Member Resurrected Dead Man". Daddy Freeze Reacts / The Link Between Sex And Death / 6 Things That Choke/kill Ones Spiritual Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.